Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Idea! The building of a sport.

In a recent thread, I suggested in order to grow the sport of fat biking we needed change our format of racing to make the sport more accessible and fun to the average rider.

However, after doing a good deal of research. I have reevaluated my position on that subject.

The idea of racing as a means of growing a sport into a viable market is an extremely slow process. When looking at the data, we can see that the future of fatbikes and cycling as a whole relies more on growing you local cycling group or club.

73% of the market had an average selling price of $78 dollars. That suggest a huge amount of untapped potential. There is just too many cyclist's out there that don't belong to a cycling group.

People who buy higher end bicycles do so out of knowledge and then, Passion. With a smaller amount out of peer pressure. We all know that these qualities come out of being involved.

So let's look at the numbers.

73% of the market rides for recreation,
    10% for commuting,
    8% for racing,
    6% for sport and 3% multiple or mixed.

I believe racing brings prestige to a cycling group and is vital to research and development.

However, I feel that for the industry or market to grow. We need to focus more of our resources into local group building across the nation.

This will have a one, two effect. The more members your group has in it's fold. The more of a turn out you will have at your events. The more of a turn out you have at those event's.

The industry will follow as they too realize a potential, and thus, will be more giving of sponsorship to those events.

I realize, belonging to a cycling group is more about passion and comradery. But, truth be told. Your local cycling group is a business and the product you are selling is exposure to the industry.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo-Rider View Post
    Thoughts?
    I just ride my bike.

I'm not looking to "grow" fatbiking or mountain biking in general. I'm happy to get new people out if they express an interest to me, but beyond that I have enough people to ride with and I never wish the trails were more crowded.

The mountain bike industry is a healthy size and there are a ton of fatbikes and products available as is. I don't see the need for any "help".

I'm not a believer in more is better.

My "goal" at this point is just to get out and ride.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Re: The building of a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I just ride my bike.

My "goal" at this point is just to get out and ride.
    Ditto. I don't think this forum (we) need to be in charge of growing anything. Its not a sport... its a recreational activity. I guess you could turn it into a competition of who could race through or float over the most snow... but most of us won't be a part of those johnson measuring contests.

mtbr member
    That's understandable, most riders never give a though to those groups that go out a seek the approval of local land managers to build a maintain the trails.

However, for those that do. I'm reaching out to you. :-)

mtbr member
    That's understandable, most riders never give a though to those groups that go out a seek the approval of local land managers to build a maintain the trails.
    Actually I belong to our local MTB advocacy group and I contribute to the effort to build trails and develop new routes. That has nothing to do with growing the sport of mountain biking or helping the industry out. If you want to ride a mountain bike you need to put effort into the development and maintenance of the trails you use.

However, I feel that for the industry or market to grow.
    Your post wasn't about trail advocacy or trail building it was about building the industry/market...those are sales/business issues.

My local MTB advocacy group isn't trying to sell more mountain bikes or grow the industry. They are trying to maintain a fun set of trail networks for local riders. There is no recruitment or PR drive to "grow" mountain biking.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I'm lucky enough to live in a country with a Scandanavian approach to land access. Basically you can go (and camp) anywhere in Scotland. Obviously there's some guidelines, but they're what you'd do anyway if you exercise common sense and good manners.

But rather than have races, why not organise what we call a "brew up".

Pick a place or map reference and a time, and put the word round, and everyone rides out from where ever they are, using whatever route they like, and meet at the designated spot at the appointed time. No organisation necessary, no rules, purely social, and it's up to each person how they get there and back.

"Brew up" refers to making tea and having a picnic with stuff you take yourself, but nothing to stop you getting blootered on beer if you wish. You could of course all meet at a pub or cafe or suggest a route.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

Nuts
    I live in a town with great trail potential with zero backing from the community so in order to expand and grow we really advocate for the sport. The more cyclist we get the more backing we have, just our plan and every community is different.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    I also see that.

However, the example I'm using, gives a different view and show's the area that a local group can expect the most growth.

If cycling was all just about having fun. No one would need to purchase anything. They would just give it all away.

A cycling group would never need to go and ask for sponsorship to afford to hold event.

It all goes hand n hand.

mtbr member
    I posted this in the 29er forum. An updated version.

In a recent thread located in the fat bike forum. I suggested in order to grow the sport of fat biking ( I'm new to fat biking but, this applies to every type and style of biking everywhere) we needed change our format of racing to make the sport more accessible and fun to the average rider.

However, after doing a good deal of research. I have reevaluated my position on that subject.

The idea of racing as a means of growing a sport into a viable market is an extremely slow process. When looking at the data, we can see that the future of fatbikes and cycling as a whole relies more on growing you local cycling group or club.

73% of the market had an average selling price of $78 dollars. That suggest a huge amount of untapped potential. There is just too many cyclist's out there that don't belong to a cycling group.

People who buy higher end bicycles do so out of knowledge and then, Passion. With a smaller amount out of peer pressure. We all know that these qualities come out of being involved.

10% for commuting,
    8% for racing,

I believe racing brings prestige to a cycling group and is vital to research and development.

However, I feel that for the industry or market to grow. We need to focus more of our resources into local group building across the nation.

This will have a one, two effect. The more members your group has in it's fold. The more of a turn out you will have at your events. The more of a turn out you have at those event's.

The industry will follow as they too realize a potential, and thus, will be more giving of sponsorship to those events.

I realize, belonging to a cycling group is more about passion and comradery. But, truth be told. Your local cycling group is a business and the product you are selling is exposure to the industry.

I would like to propose the idea of a nation wide membership drive to be held in the first weekend of may. On that weekend every cycling group across the nation could setup a booth at your local Walmart's, bike paths and event were the general public gathers.

This would be a great asset to everyone. Please, let's do are part to make this a reality. :-

Nuts
    Unsubscribed.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    I'm going to contact Imba, and ask for their support in the effort. :-)

Message sent, the first of many. :-)
    Last edited by Solo-Rider; 09-28-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: update

I started our local mt bike club last year. We now have 200 members and a trail system. All last week I was flagging new trail. I have 4 IMBA classes and a club building class under my belt. Good job on the poke there. And I actually find it to be quite the opposite of the sport/race people... usually in our area they are the last ones to help for trail work.

Club building and trail maintenence is much different from the racing scene... which is what your first post was about, and I commented on.

Your forum name is also solo-rider... a little hypocritical for being on your soap box about clubs don't you think?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    You might spend a bit of time trying to define the personality types that are attracted to fat bikes, before you bang your head against the wall too much?

Perhaps firstly, define the attraction of fat bikes themselves?

To me, fat bikes are a tool to go where no bike has gone before...if everyone else knows and then goes there...the appeal of the ride is diminished.

Alone, or with one or two others to share the ride with is enough for me on a regular basis.

But go for it if you like.
    Just like Fat Bikes...the posters on here can go anywhere...and do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    ...To me, fat bikes are a tool to go where no bike has gone before...
    Basically my approach too. A tool to get to interesting places, and often there is no discernible trail other than that left by wandering deer etc.

I prefer to ride solo, but don't mind a bit of a social aspect to a ride. A brew up would suit the likes of me best.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

Thoughts?
    On the other hand, our three local cycling groups are 501c nonprofits, theoretically committed to coordinating volunteer efforts and other organizing towards continued trail development, management, events, and recreation. Not 'businesses', per SE.
    Welcome to Teton Valley Trails and Pathways
    Teton Freedom Riders
    www.friendofpathways.org

All are supporters of fat bike advocacy.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    I hate the term `Sport` and it being used for non competitive cycling as `Sport` just means what it says -competitive!.
    Why does recreation cycling be it on road on road bikes, offroad on trails, or even trail centre riding be classed as a sport?.

I have no interest in competing in cycling and so never call or it a sport.

Interstingly we here in the UK have a BBC TV programme called `The Adventure Show` , which i find a hilarious name as all it has cycling wise is Sportive and Mud plugger events like 24 hour enduro events - That is not Adventure, that is Sport
    I emailed them about a posible beachriding article on Harris and the reply was `We are only interested in sponsered events`

Says it all about the BBC!

Glad i am a beach rider in the main, far away from all these types of people like yourself who just want to make a coin out of something new and differant
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I posted this in the 29er forum. An updated version.

In a recent thread located in the fat bike forum. I suggested in order to grow the sport of fat biking ( I'm new to fat biking but, this applies to every type and style of biking everywhere) we needed change our format of racing to make the sport more accessible and fun to the average rider.

10% for commuting,
    8% for racing,

I would like to propose the idea of a nation wide membership drive to be held in the first weekend of may. On that weekend every cycling group across the nation could setup a booth at your local Walmart's, bike paths and event were the general public gathers.

This would be a great asset to everyone. Please, let's do are part to make this a reality. :-
    You sound like all the people I left when I retired. Hey, maybe you are one of them. Please stop.

mtbr member
    So we don't have to wear bracelets any more?

mtbr member
    I know my idea is sound and when I started posting in this forum it was because I searching for information on that walgoose fat bike. However, over the week and a half. My priorities have shifted.

Over the years, I have belonged to many groups. I have also done my share of work days.

Because of this, I also know what most groups need. This post was started on support of fat biking. But, now I see that this will benefit everyone. From the local bike shop, local cycling group, online and the industry.

I will contact everyone I possibly can to make this a reality. I don't see this as a bad thing.

Its not just about fat bikes.

Sorry, but I'm not quite sure you know what you are talking about or what the state of mt bike clubs is in the US. There are absolutely WAYYY more clubs now than there ever has been. Just in my state of MN, there are now about 7 different clubs... A few short years ago their was only 1 based out of Minneapolis. I just don't get what you are getting at... It all is and has been happening for years already. Go ride your bike man. Geez.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Solo-Rider...odd handle for someone who wants to..."organize".

Yer not cut from the same bolt of cloth as another well known 'Community Organizer' are you? (tongue-in-cheek)
    Just like Fat Bikes...the posters on here can go anywhere...and do.

mtbr member
    I know my idea is sound and when I started posting in this forum it was because I searching for information on that walgoose fat bike. However, over the week and a half. My priorities have shifted.

Over the years, I have belonged to many groups. I have also done my share of work days.

Because of this, I also know what most groups need. This post was started on support of fat biking. But, now I see that this will benefit everyone. From the local bike shop, local cycling group, online and the industry.

I will contact everyone I possibly can to make this a reality. I don't see this as a bad thing.

Its not just about fat bikes.
    Sorry dude, any one who tells me (THEY know what most groups need), is full of himself and crap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    Sorry dude, any one who tells me (THEY know what most groups need), is full of himself and crap.
    Maybe, I don't know what most groups need. I do know what they need in my area. If this helps them, its all good.

I just completed my Facebook page. I'll start the emailing tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    Solo-Rider...odd handle for someone who wants to..."organize".

Yer not cut from the same bolt of cloth as another well known 'Community Organizer' are you? (tongue-in-cheek)
    Maybe?

We all do what we must. :-)

dumb ass
    Maybe, I don't know what most groups need. I do know what they need in my area. If this helps them, its all good.

then work on this in your area. don't push it on the rest of us. I see no need to cater to 8% of the biking public
    Baby seal walks into a club.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast