Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Build your dream chinese carbon fatty!

RED means I had that in there originally but since removed it from the build

Hi guys, I tried posting this in the chinese carbon fatty thread but I got almost no replies since the post quickly disappeared among other posts.

I am a total bike noob but I am really fired up to get myself a carbon fatty.

I used to love my small bike with fat tires as a kid and have always wondered why noone makes them. Until now!

I've read pretty much read the whole chinese carbon fatty thread and
    set myself on the FM190 frame - scratch that its now SN01 from ICAN! Reasons: rear rack mount, still fits 4.8 tires but only just, comes with 150mm fork and fits a bluto suspension fork in 16 & 18" sizes! (From some extra info on the forum apparently the 16" size needs an extra wide crown race (3mm extraor so. One guy uses salsa Cane Creek +3 40mm Crown Race), to fit the bluto I am not a racer so I don't need the single track geometry, although that would be nice but i love exploring and going through mud/etc.

I am planning to document my build process on here and review the final product, hopefully getting others who are new to Fat bikes to do the same.

I've got a 4wd and love adventuring, I can also work on my car myself so I dont see why I cant build a bike - with your help of course! But first - to select the right parts. I want to get it right the first time. I am in Australia - so lots of sand and dirt along with some mud, no snow.

So my intentions are:
    * Build the lightest possible bike without compromising the reliability too much
    * Budget - $3000-4000 or so. What a sham that was: so far paid $5500 in total (thats including all the tools, greases, tubeless setup parts, etc)
    * Fattest lightest tires (lightest out of the fat ones)

Please let me know whats wrong/how you would improve the parts I selected:
    1) Frame - ICAN SN01 16" - 197x12mm thru axle
    2) Fork - ICAN 150mm fork with thru axles
    3) Handlebars HB001 FULL CARBON MTB HANDLEBAR 700mm
    with ESI Fit XC grips
    Syntace Megaforce 2 stem 30mm 107g
    ENVE Mountain Stem 40mm 85g (Ordered a Truvativ Hussefelt Stem 45mm to try it out, will buy a proper stem when I find what length stem fits me best)
    4) Headset Cane Creek TAPERED IS41|IS52/40 TALL TOP COVER (BAA0785K) 92g - WILL THIS FIT GUYS? -Apparently it will (tested and confirmed by Duggus (thanks mate))
    Tech description on cane creek website: IS41/28.6/H15/K|IS52/40/H1

5) Seat - swapped to WTB Pure V Pro
    Ordered a Charge Spoon Saddle with Cromo Rails - just as an interim solution. From advice I was given I'm gonna have to trial a bunch of them until I like the one that fits.
    Or Fizik Aliante Gamma XM
    Or Selle San Marco Aspide Carbon FX GF New York Saddle 121g
    6) Will go with ICAN supplied for now- will figure out which dropper post later.
    Gravity Dropper Turbo LP or
    Thompson Covert Dropper Post 31.6mm - ordered!
    7) Crank - Raceface Next SL 170mm direct mount 30t
    BB - Race Face BSA 30mm Bottom Bracket 100mm
    Chainring - 30T cog

Chainring
    - SRAM XX1 Chainring32T - will this fit onto the Crank above? (more or less cogs?

Part numbers to fit 120mm BB of SN01 (email from Raceface):
    CK14NXSL190A175BLK- CINCH NEXT SL 175MM ARMS FOR 190 REAR END
    BBBSA10030B6- CINCH FOR 100MM/120MM
    D30146- BSA30 BB TOOL (ALSO MADE BY ROTOR, ZIPP, ENDURO)
    D30251 X4 – 2.5MM SPINDLE SPACER

8) Rear Derailleur - SRAM XX1 Type 2 11 Speed Rear Mech 2014
    9) Shifter - SRAM XX1 11sp Trigger Shifter
    10) Rear cassette - SRAM XX1 XG1199 11 Speed MTB Cassette
    09C1 SHIMANO CS FREEWHEEL TOOL - for XX1 install/removal
    11) Chain - Kmc X11SL DLC
    SRAM XX1 HollowPin 11 Speed Chain -no longer going with it
    12) Front Brake Magura MT8 with Storm SL rotor
    13) Rear Brake Magura MT8 with Storm SL rotor
    14) Looks like XX1 can be mixed with other non-SRAM XX1 components. Sweet.
    15) Shift & Break cables: AICAN Bungarus Shift Housing / Cable Kit 83.1g $80 - nah, read too many bad reviews on them - will use XX1 standard ones.
    16) Tires - Shwalbe Jumbo Jims (26 x 4.80)
    17) ICAN 90mm F-W90 CARBON FAT BIKE WHEELS
    Husker Du on 90mm Wild Dragon Nextie Rims
    Spokes- DT Swiss Competition DB Black Spokes - 2x18 Pack
    Valve extender - speed evolution 7.9g
    Hubs - ??
    Stans Tubeless Valves
    Stans sealant
    Gorilla tape
    Valve core remover tool
    The nexties are getting expensive fast - maybe Ill go for the ICAN complete wheelset.
    Do you guys think its worth it buying Nexties and paying a shop to build them from scratch - considering I am very under-qualified?

18) Special tools for putting it all together?
    19) ​Finish Line Cross Country Wet Lube - 120ml - for chain
    20) PFinish Line Teflon Grease 100g - for general stuff
    21) Magura service kit - brakes bleed
    22) ICAN Bottle cage Model MBC009 23g x 2
    23) Carbon paste - Finish Line Fiber Grip 50g

Feel free to suggest any part that you think is better! This is very much a "noob" list so I assume you guys will slam my poor choices quicksmart!
    Last edited by bombermate; 05-06-2015 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Edited parts

mtbr member
    May 2011

Guys, I've been looking for the best, lightest, and most aerodynamic toilet paper out there.

What do you guys have to say about the following types?

1.) Charmin
    2.) Bdaltkaleet
    3.) Bdeeklaveld
    4.) ??

Let me know if there is anything wrong with that setup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    As i told you in the other tread about the seat.speedneedle doesent fit either,i have tried both in the kronolog.the xx1 ring will not fit the next crank,just use the ring that come with the crank.

turtles make me hot
    Don't use a HuskerDu on a 90mm carbon rim. Not enough volume to protect the rim from strikes. Seen it more than once.
    I like turtles

Rocking on a Rocky
    Drop the dropper post and go with 65mm rims. Look at the Jumbo Jims tires.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Guys, I've been looking for the best, lightest, and most aerodynamic toilet paper out there.

What do you guys have to say about the following types?

1.) Charmin
    2.) Bdaltkaleet
    3.) Bdeeklaveld
    4.) ??

Let me know if there is anything wrong with that setup.
    You must use a lot of toilet paper cuz you seem like a giant A hole.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm new to fatbikes but the XX1 components are for racing aren't they.You would probably be best served by a lower group-set for durability.The rear hub of 190/197 is not fully represented at this time by some of the industry leaders.I'm looking for CK to introduce something in the next year or two.It depends on your philosophy on these but I expect it to bring me home and be dammed if its light weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mortenste View Post
    As i told you in the other tread about the seat.speedneedle doesent fit either,i have tried both in the kronolog.the xx1 ring will not fit the next crank,just use the ring that come with the crank.
    Oh bugger any ideas which dropper post to go for thats light and fits mainstream type saddles?

Edited main post to reflect your comments.

With regards to the NexSL crank - I thought you tried to fit the XX1 ring onto the NextSL crank. Did that not work out?
    The reason I was going for all XX1 drivetrain was because of the special teeth that they claim will guide the chain more reliably.

Also, I was set on going 1x11 but looking at the prices - the RaceFace cranks with two chainrings are only $100 extra - can the smaller chainring (24T) be removed leaving only 1 if I figure out that one ring up front is fine? Is this not advisable? Whats the benefit of a spiderless 34T crank? Is it just weight?

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Don't use a HuskerDu on a 90mm carbon rim. Not enough volume to protect the rim from strikes. Seen it more than once.
    I was looking to fit the fattest possible tires tubeless - while being able to run the lowest pressures. From what I've read through the main carbon fatty thread - the wider the rims - the lower you can run tubeless pressures.

Would a solution to this be to get even fatter tires? lol
    I got to calculate whats lighter - thinner rims with bigger rubber or vice versa - for the same area of contact with the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    Drop the dropper post and go with 65mm rims. Look at the Jumbo Jims tires.
    Dropped the dropper *pun intended* lol. Ill investigate the jumbo jims. Do you still reccommend Nextie vs Chinese Dengfu?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Your going for a uber expensive fast wearing drive system on a sales pitch.Racers replace these components for every race.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Captlink View Post
    Your going for a uber expensive fast wearing drive system on a sales pitch.Racers replace these components for every race.
    I see. I've seen a few guys in the main thread spec their fatties with XX1 parts - and see them on rigs such as Borealis, Lamere, Salsa... - are they all "wrong" or just loaded with cash and keep putting in new XX1 parts every second week?

If any of you guys run XX1 parts - can you give us any feedback please?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Well, these days a lot of components will mix and match. I am running an SLX triple crankset ($100.00 two years ago) and a Race Face NW ($35?) and ten cogs in the back. I believe that if I wanted to go 1x11 (which I don't have the money for) It'd be a matter of swapping the freehub body for an XD driver (considering that's possible in your wheelset's rear hub), trowing in a XX1 or X1 cassette and an 11 speed chain, the narrow wide would still work with this chain. Obviously you need the derailleur and shifter too. I don't know, but I am sure that a lot of the people I've seen with an 11 speed drivetrain, are not using either the XX1 chainring or crankset, whether the chainring is compatible with another crankset, that I am not 100% but I am biased to think that it is not possible.

People here don't like XX1 for a heavy duty drive train because that is not what it is, it is a racing drivetrain that wears out faster than the competition, say, an XT cassette.

Anyways, it is a great adventure to build a bike!

turtles make me hot
    [QUOTE=bombermate

I was looking to fit the fattest possible tires tubeless - while being able to run the lowest pressures. From what I've read through the main carbon fatty thread - the wider the rims - the lower you can run tubeless pressures.

Would a solution to this be to get even fatter tires? lol
    I got to calculate whats lighter - thinner rims with bigger rubber or vice versa - for the same area of contact with the ground.
    [/QUOTE]

That's exactly what to do. Check out the Dillinger 5.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    That's exactly what to do. Check out the Dillinger 5.
    Upgrading to either a D5 or a Lou. Still undecided.
    I may have to get a second set for sand - low rolling resistance tires for dry weather.
    Like this: Kenda Juggernaut 4.0 – 120 tpi folding – 767g, 771g

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Bomber,
    Thanks for the PM. I will try to answer your questions here. My choice to go with 1x11 xx1 on my fm190 was simple as I already had the parts. I was a Shimano guy in fact I have apology notes to write now that I run SRAM. But in my experience xx1 is plenty durable and is a superior shifting system to Shimano. Rumour has it that serious racer guys have mega miles on the cassette without doom gloom or anything just change your chain like a pro and the average rider should get years out of a cassette.

I ran a Race Face Turbine crank with the 26 flipped because of the use of a 170 spindle. Chain line and Q factor are good.

Also on my build U spec a 190 qr. I probably would not bother with this but at the time there were a few Chinese fatbikes with odd 190 thru axles. Went with qr for simplicity in terms of ordering with Wendy at Dengfu.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the build. Should be nice and light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    So you asked. Here's mine:

Dengue fm190 with their 135mm fork. Thru axles.
    Thompson post and stem.
    Same fizik saddle I have on all of my bikes.
    Enve riser bar (love the width!)
    Trp spyke brakes and levers with ashima 160mm rotors.
    Xtr shadow 10spd rd and lever
    Jag wire pro cables
    Xt 11-36t cassette with wolf tooth 16t and 40t cogs swapped in
    Race face next sl 170 spaced cranks and 100mm bsa bb. I have the rf 30t chainring. Sometimes I wish it a was 26 :-) but most of the time the gearing is fine for me.

Frame came with the axles, headset, and seat post clamp.

Nextie wild dragons, hope hubs, dt comp spokes. Love the friggin wheels. I swap between The studded Dilinger 5 or bud and Lou depending on the conditions. Valve extenders are a good idea but my floor pump just manages to lock on with the q-tube ultralight tubes.

Bike has worked out really well for me so far. Stable but much more maneuverable than the moon lander it replaced. Also at least 10 lbs lighter.
    "The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt." - Surly Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Hey guys. A bit of an update: I've been slow with ordering because I was trying to make sure the parts list is good and will work.

So I just made an order with ICAN for the following:

SN01 | Carbon fat bike frame
    Fork | Carbon fat bike fork 150mm
    Clamp | Carbon Clamp
    SP006 | Carbon seatpost
    HB011 | Carbon handlebar
    SC001 | Carbon spacer
    F-W90 | "Carbon fat bike wheelset
    | Sram xx1 freehub
    | Black hub,spokes,nipples"
    HQA007 | Quick release for fat bike
    | front 150*15mm axle,
    | rear 197*12mm axle"
    HB001 | Carbon MTB handlebar
    HB011 | Carbon MTB handlebar
    MBC026 | Carbon bottle cages
    Hanger | Hangers
    H373 | Headset:1-1/8'',1-1/2''
    Shipping| Frame in a carton
    | Wheelset in a carton

TOTAL 1393.50

If anyone wants individual prices let me know!

Now to order other parts! Probably from wiggle.com.au

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Wink

Hey guys,
    Received my parts this week - didn't have time to upload pics straight away.
    Everything looks pretty good and feels VERY light!
    Excuse the crappy iphone pics:

And my awesome new $45 delivered bike repair rack!! What a bargain that was!

Bottom bracket:

Happy days!! P.S the stuff arrived within about 3-4 days! Good on ya ICAN!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Headset construction. I emailed ICAN with these pics and they confirmed that there are no cups to be placed between the bearings and the head tube. Also confirmed by guys in the Chinese carbon fatty thread.

So far so good! Now I just have to wait for parts to arrive. The hardest stuff to find was the bloody BB tool from raceface. Cost me 72 delivered for ESI chunky grips + the tool. And the first one I ordered wasn't in stock so I had to cancel the order and place a new one today

Hint: Bike24.com has the cheapest prices by FAR! Too bad Shwalbe Jumbo Jims are not in stock and I'll have to wait.

Yeah isn't their shipping time amazing!

Just a note - their stock headset isn't terrible but I didn't like the little bit of play. I ordered one of the Cane Creek 40's with the tall cap and the fit was much more secure, and that silver shim piece is integrated on the Cane Creek so less loose parts. Another thing I noticed - I was a little hesitant at first to really tighten the steerer plug down since it's a carbon steerer and all. While trying to preload the headset/stem/top cap I could never fully get a good tighten, but still felt pretty tight. This was because the steer plug was moving a little. I cleaned everything really good with rubbing alcohol and then really tightened the plug down good when installing the new headset. Now all is tight and as it should be. Very happy with my SN01.

What kind of bike rack do you have? Make sure not to use any rack that clamps to the downtube to hold the bike on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Sweet man, how much does that thing from cane creek weigh? I'm gonna get that ordered quicksmart unless its just too heavy compared to the stock one.

For the rack I just recently acquired an ISI carrier (the long version). Test fit pics below using a shitty apollo and my gfs road bike:

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Hey guys,

ICAN sent wheels out last Friday and I received them on Tuesday. Not bad for a delivery from China.

Some pics:

Rear wheel comes XX1-ready. This was optional from ICAN. Ready for the rear cassette.

Front

XX1 XD driver body

Weights.

Front (1107g):

Rear (1251):

Rear skewer:

Front skewer (112g):

Starting to look the part haha:

The skewers are pretty heavy. Might need to do some hunting around to find some lighter ones. Does anyone have any ideas?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Are those the ICANs with Powereay hubs? First impressions of their quality?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumX View Post
    Are those the ICANs with Powereay hubs? First impressions of their quality?
    Yep, the wheels are (as per email from Melody from ICAN):

F-W90,(with Sram xx1 freehub)
    rim weight :678g/pc,front wheelset 979+-20g,rear wheelset 1110+-20g
    Assembled with Powerway M74hub (front 15*135mm axle,rear 12*190/197mm axle)

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    P.S. I am no expert so I should be the last one to be asked this question but everything seems to be spinning pretty smoothly. Clicking sound is not too loud - seems to be less so than the hope hubs others are getting (judging from their youtube videos).

But, really, its hard to tell when they are not next to each other so take that with a grain of sault.

The wheels seem pretty well made - perfectly true when you spin them - no wobbles or anything like that, no chips or any imperfections visible in the rims. So I am pretty happy with the final product!

Waiting for the rest of the parts so I can finally start assembling it alltogether.

I've been on mine for a month now and beat the crap out of the wheels. They are strong being I'm 225. Hub has gotten a little louder now with warmer temps but I like that. Sounds like my new version hope but without as many engagement points.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

Live Free & Ride
    ICAN also now has a 29+ with the same hubs at their 90mm carbon hoops...but built up with 50mm rims....calling it a "summer tubeless ready" setup. Keep us posted on the hubs and how they hold up too.

http://www.amazon.com/ICAN-Clincher-...&keywords=ICAN
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

Nice find.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    ICAN also now has a 29+ with the same hubs at their 90mm carbon hoops...but built up with 50mm rims....calling it a "summer tubeless ready" setup. Keep us posted on the hubs and how they hold up too.

http://www.amazon.com/ICAN-Clincher-...&keywords=ICAN
    They did offer 50mm rims but it says 29+. Does that mean they will be too lager diameter-wise for their own SN01? I may actually want to go for these and make this Fatty a normal mountain bike whenever I want :O

I'll just have to shift the cassette accross and buy a new rotor for the rear. Profit!
    But thats probably somewhere down the track.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

We the people ...

Parts are starting to trickle in. Got my Magura MT8's and the XX1 Cassette from Bike24 yesterday.

The two sets are within a few grams of each other.

Whats in the box.

Brake and hose set #1

Brake and hose set #2

Rotor set #1

Rotor set #2

Whole brake kit with fittings set #1

Whole brake kit with fittings set #2

Fittings same weight both sets

XX1 Cassette

264grams

Quick trial fit: waiting on cassette tool and grease to be able to install!

In the meantime I also got some 18650 batteries, headset spacers and 72mm wide gorilla tape (for setting up tubeless):

These cost me literally $2.50 delivered!

Some people prefer using square cutouts for the spoke holes. I may try to do the same to save some weight instead of installing a big length of the tape around the whole rim.
    It will all depend on what works I guess!

Got a kick-ass light in the mail, should be fun riding the fatty in the dark! From one of the reviews on this forum:

ANDDD the wait continues!!

Live Free & Ride
    If you mean their orange fat bike they sell, then yes. There's anothere listing on their Amazon page showing the 29+ wheel mounted to the rear of this bike. Go for it!
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Sweet thanks for the heads up mate

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    A whole load of parts came in on Friday!
    I realised that I forgot to order the rear derailleur when I tried to get the order under $1000 AUD to make sure I don't pay any import taxes.
    Had to scramble around to order it today.

The XX1 trigger shifter came in.

119g with mount bracket.

The trigger shifter came without cable housing - not sure if that's the way its supposed to be but I sure as hell didn't expect that! So I ordered a Jagwire Mountain Pro Shift Cable Kit - seems to be highly rated by mountain bikers all-round.

Other parts:

Cateye Strada Wireless 37g

Nukeproof Electron flat pedals

Tools + Lezyne pump!

Charge Spoon Saddle - a little on the "heavy" side but comfort matters. I'll look at higher end models later when I'll be able to demo some of the expensive versions from local bike stores.

Next SL crank with incorrect spindle length

So I actually managed to get my first and pretty much the most expensive part wrong - the Next SL crank.
    For all you noobies out there please make sure you order the fat bike version for 190-197mm rear. Initially when I looked on sites like Wiggle & Chain reaction - these smaller size ones were the only ones that came up in my search results so I thought that this must be the right crank. This one will be going back to Wiggle asap!

Then I ordered the correct size from Jenson online today (among the other bits I talked about above), make sure you choose the 190mm spindle version. For 170mm rear it would be the 170mm version (100mm BB AFAIK)
    Race Face Next SL Cinch Fatbike Cranks > Components > Drivetrain, Brakes and Pedals > Cranksets | Jenson USA

Also be careful as that crank does not come with a chainring so you will have to order that one separately. Here is the link:
    Race Face Cinch Narrow Wide Chainring > Components > Drivetrain, Brakes and Pedals > Chainrings | Jenson USA

So now I will be sending the incorrect crank back to Wiggle and hopefully I get a full refund

Inserting the "short" crank into the frame

On the other side

Fitting BB on

P.S. Got the mucky nutz fender and appears to be a little short for this frame IMHO!

SO the lesson is: dont order the wrong parts like I did! I thought I had it covered
    Last edited by bombermate; 04-12-2015 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Grammar!

The spindle you are showing in the photo through the frame is incorrect, unless you meant to show that? Did you get the 1.5mm spacers from Raceface? They aren't included for 120mm bottom brackets so you need to request them.

DNR
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You can order the race face cinch spindles separately. Might be cheaper than exchanging.
    RaceFace CINCH Spindle Kit~ 30mm Spindle 170mm | Worldwide Cyclery
    Also, if you're using a single ring in front you may be able to use the 170mm version for better q factor. The Fatboy uses the 170mm version and fits 4.6" (and I think larger) tires.
    I think you'll need spindle spacers too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    nice project bombermate, whats the size of the frame?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    The spindle you are showing in the photo through the frame is incorrect, unless you meant to show that? Did you get the 1.5mm spacers from Raceface? They aren't included for 120mm bottom brackets so you need to request them.
    Sorry about that, edited the post for clarity. I meant to show the incorrect fit.
    I am not sure if the spacers are included with the crank from Jenson so I sent them an email. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by DNR View Post
    You can order the race face cinch spindles separately. Might be cheaper than exchanging.
    RaceFace CINCH Spindle Kit~ 30mm Spindle 170mm | Worldwide Cyclery
    Also, if you're using a single ring in front you may be able to use the 170mm version for better q factor. The Fatboy uses the 170mm version and fits 4.6" (and I think larger) tires.
    I think you'll need spindle spacers too.
    Yeah I had a look at that option and the postage for the spindles is almost $50 AUD. After a few calcs I opted for the refund and ordering a new one. Still the cheapest option.

Quote Originally Posted by Wantax View Post
    nice project bombermate, whats the size of the frame?
    SN01 16", cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Got some new parts the other day. Almost got them all bar the crank now!
    Ran out of time on the weekend to do any building so only managed to do some prep for going tubeless - taped up spoke holes on one wheel.

X11SL DLC chain, Raceface BB tool (finally!) and some ESI Fit XC grips.

Chunky Fit XC's 68g with end caps

Without caps 63g

Full length chain 241g

Truvativ Hussefelt Stem 40mm - 209g. Pretty chunky and sturdy but very heavy. I already got a replacement shorter 30mm stem in the mail after some research:
    Syntace Megaforce 2 Stem Black 107g claimed weight. Thats a nice 100g saving right there and many mountain bikers swear by them.
    Syntace
    For those wanting an even lighter one and have lots of Mulah - try this: Enve Mountain Stem - 85g

Then did some wheel prep:

Managed to get the rear rim ready. Still no word on when the Jumbo Jims are in stock

Here is how much of a weight saving I gained by doing "patches" over spokes instead of going around the whole rim with the tape - a measly 19g. I guess some weight weenies may say thats worth it! 19g less of rotation weight afterall! haha

Edit: woopsie I just realised that those numbers on weight savings I posted were incorrect. I realised I used up a lot less length of the gorilla tape when cutting out the little "patches" then I would have if I used a complete loop of it around the whole rim of the wheel. So the weight savings would be substantially more.

I am thinking I would have used at least twice the length of the tape if not three times to do the patches so that becomes 19x2=38 - 59 grams saved per tire. So not so bad afterall!

Rear wheel all built and ready to go (after patching): 1634grams.

Last edited by bombermate; 05-03-2015 at 05:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    What tape you use ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bombermate View Post

SN01 16", cheers!
    What's your height? Im debating between a 16 and 18. The effective top tube of the 18 is on point but the reach has me scared.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mortenste View Post
    What tape you use ?
    Gorilla tape

Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    What's your height? Im debating between a 16 and 18. The effective top tube of the 18 is on point but the reach has me scared.
    I'm 173cm. Around 5'7". But I have no clue if it fits great yet. Gotta wait till I can get a ride in.

Kosher Princess

Good job!

I'm feeling compelled to thank you for a lovely and thoughtful build, not to mention the excitement in seeing how it all comes together. I appreciate your attention to detail. Please share your eventual ride impressions and observations.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Internal SN01 routing

Hey guys,

Haven't had time to post updates regularly as I've been researching and building the bike so here comes a few updates.

So the next part of my build involves getting the Magura MT8 hydraulic brakes routed through the frame.

Prior to fitting through the hydraulic brake line I actually routed the dropper post housing through - which was pretty straight forward with the front fork removed. Forgot to take photos during the process so here is one after both hydraulic line and the dropper cable are installed:

I used Magura's youtube videos to help me shortening the brakes. But first I had to route the brakeline through the frame.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ioWZmAo9Xk

Step 1:
    Mount the brake lever on the handlebar while pointing the hydraulic cable upright. Chop off the brake cable.

Step 2:
    Unscrew the short bit of the cable from the lever and throw it in the bin. Keep the sleeve nut in you parts bin. Use your finger to stop the little bit of Magura brake fluid from causing a mess on your floor.

I plugged the other end of the hose using the Magura service kit's plug (which ended up not working out, see below why)

Just a heads up: the Magura service kit is VERY usefull and I highly recommend getting it. Alternatively, you could probably make your own using some cheap syringes, and correct size tubing. You may have problems bleeding the brakes properly, however, considering the brake caliper screw in adaptor screws directly into the brake caliper.

The internal routing holes on SN01 frame are too tight/full of paint when they come to you from the factory, at least this is what I found. At first, I thought I would cut the plug down so the brake line would fit into the hole in the frame, and it did, but it then fell out when I was mucking around trying to fit the hose through the top exit on the frame.

Original condition

After cleaning the hole with a drill. Dont worry - you wont brake the frame, just take off some paint off the aluminium inserts cast into the frame. I realised they were not carbon after taking a drill to it.

Step 3:
    Insert the hose (the non-brake caliper end that you cut off) into the bottom hole of the frame:

Step 4:
    I tried using a string to route it through the top hole - waste of time. The whole at the top is too tight and sits at an angle in the headtube so it is hard to get it in there. The best way I found was to cut the outer 40mm of the hose off the end and fit it through the top hole that way. Use your fingers with the front fork removed to get it in:

P.S. dont forget to mount your frame upright in the stand to make the job easier and avoid spillage.

Looking through the headtube down inside the frame after I managed to get the cable through.

You could see the Magura royal blood is still in there so be careful not to spill it (dont point the cable down.

It was actually pretty hard to get the hose through the top hole even with the outer of the hose cut off - so dont even bother doing it using some sort of string to pull the hose through unless you have a really skinny brake hoses or drill out a bigger hole.

After that I cut the hose off and plugged it using one of those black plugs that come with the Magura service kit since I managed to loose the only one white plug that came with the kit (that fits the hose much easier).

To get the black plug in I had to used a hammer and hold the hose tight with the holding down blocks that came with the kit. That wasn't easy so dont loose the white plug!

So this is what it looked like after the routing was complete:

P.S I dont really like how they decided to locate the routing holes. I would rather see the routing port on the actual chainstay right next to the brake caliper location like it is on some other frames. Doesnt leave much room for larger tires.

The next step was to now bleed the rear brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Internal shift cable routing

But in the meantime I received my new XX1 derailleur and the jagwire shiftkit so I was ready in install all of the internal cabling.

Pretty compact when folded!

External jagwire hosing

Internail shift cable

Didnt use this waterproof cover - used cable housing the whole way through the frame. People with external cable routing may find this useful.

With the shift cable routing I used the pre-installed ICAN plastic cables to route the jagwire housing cable through the top tube.

Using a simpe sticky tape trick. I did, again, have to clean out the holes on the frame to get the cable through.

This was a lot less painful than my first try with the hydraulics - practice makes perfect! haha

So, in a nutshell, that was it for the internal routing of all three hoses. You may want to choose different locations for where you cables exit - make that choice before you start your build!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Some more parts trickled through from Bike24: bike locks, a triangle bag and a few other goodies.

I was hesitant to get a frame bag but thought "why not" - as I was going to order other parts form Bike24 anyway. That bag was pretty cheap - $19 AUD.
    Too bad it doesnt fit with a bottle holder in there

It may fit ok on larger frames though as mine is the smallest 16" size.

I weighed my bike locks for shits and giggles:

Kryptolock mounting bracket weight

The cable puller is a great tool IMO:

Should hopefully save me a headache or two when installing the rear derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Unstalling the Thompson Covert Dropper Post

So here is a pic with the dropper post shift cable installed and the fork,stem/handlebars back on.

A cable cutter is a massive help, by the way, to get the clean cuts on the shift cable. Pretty straight forward job to get the internal metal cable through after that.

Excuse the crappy quality

So before installing the dropper post cabling I wanted to make sure it works.
    (Thompson Covert Dropper Post 31.6mm)

With the dropper cable routed through:

The bike is starting to look the part haha

Take the dropper post and insert the stopper metal bit into the bottom of the dropper:

Insert the seat post into the seat tube:

I then used the cable puller to test the dropper post operation before going any further to make sure my routing is OK:

The dropper worked fine! So I was ready to install the rest of the bits:

Wack on the tensioner bit, a short housing section and the cap.

I then mounted the covert dropper trigger on the handlebar and tightened the cable.

Operation install the dropper complete! Works fine but i found that it is a little on the tight side. I have to use a moderate amount of force with to operate the dropper with my thumb. Must be because of the sharp bend it makes at the bottom bracket:

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Then I had to install the internal shift cable and route it into the derailleur.
    I am not sure what metal cable the shifter came with from SRAM so I decided to swap it with the Jagwire one from the kit even though the looked identical to me. Worst comes to worst - I can always use the original metal cable in the future.

Open it up:

Remove the spring:

Replace the cable:

Reinstall the spring:

Close the cover:

DONE! Took me all of 2 mins.

I then installed the shifter back on the handlebar and routing the internal cable through the hose that I already installed in the frame:

Excuse the cable mess! It gets easier!

Push it out the back:

Route the cable through the derailleur as per instructions and jam the cable with the derailleur tightening screw:

Should look nice and neat! I didnt cut off the excess cable just in case I will need to adjust it later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Bleeding the brakes proved the most painful job yet, but after I learned the ropes not so difficult afterall!

I used this forum post as a reference on how to bleed the brakes:
    New Bleed procedure for MT8 - MAGURA Community

So I had my hydraulic hose already pulled through the frame and coming out at the headtube - ready to be cut and attached directly into the brake lever.

First up, I measured up how much length I will need, making sure I was being generous enough to bee able to turn the front wheel 180 degrees. I could always shorten the hose later.

I then cut the hose using cable cutters, unscrewed the little bit of hose sticking out of the front brake lever and chucked it out while saving the sleeve nut for the parts bin.

This pic is from the front brake bleed by the way since I forgot to take enough pics when I was bleeding the rear.

Shorten the hose going towards the brake caliper as per your measurement, install the sleeve nut and the olive (as per magura), hammer in the insert into the end of hose and insert into the brake lever and tighten.

I modified my hammer into a plastic alternative with some Gorilla tape (lol):

So this and previous 8 pics were from the front brake install but the procedure is the same as for the rear.

I installed my rear brake on the left while the hose is going in on the right

Then before connecting the syringe to the brake caliper take out the brake pads and insert the transport device and secure with a rubber band.

Then I covered the whole thing up bar the bleeding port with a cloth - to prevent magura hydraulic fluid from contaminating the brakes in case I get any leaks.

[/URL]

Then you have to fill the syringe with the magura mineral blood right to the top and squeezing out as much air as possible before starting the bleeding process.

I then angled the bike at such an angle as to make the hose as straight as possible while going through the frame to make it easier to extract any caught bubbles.

Insert the other syringe without the plunger into the brake lever's bleeding port nice and tight. I did not have any problems with leaks there.

After I started bleeding the brake - pushing the fluid through to the top and pulling it back with a vacuum I had the white tube that goes into the bottom syringe fall out under pressure when I was pushing the fluid up into the top syringe.

So here is where the zip tie comes in to hold it in place - that was a great solution so I could keep the pressure up and not worry about any spillage.

Some useful tips:
    1) After a bit of pushing and pulling I kept having bubbles come out when pulling into the lower syringe. I must've done it like 20 times and I still had bubbles come out from the system.

I started getting worried that I simply had a leak somewhere because there were no visible bubbles coming out into the top syringe when I was pushing, only when I was pulling back into the bottom syringe.

The harder I pulled the more and bigger the bubbles that cam out. But, eventually, they got smaller and smaller and then disappeared almost completely.

2) The harder you pull, the better - and this is actually the best way of getting rid of the air in the system, not pushing.
    You have to first make sure there is as little air in the syringe as possible so when you pull hard that little tiny bit of air (the bubble in the bottom syringe) expands to 10x or more of its original size, thereby decreasing the pressure in the whole system and expanding the microscopic bubbles inside the system 10x the size also and then forcing them out of the system into the bottom syringe.

That worked awesomely well. So after realising that I got the brakes sorted pretty quick.

3) Move the lever around in the handle bar, squeese and release the trigger and shift the lever rotation to squeeze those last bubbles out of the lever. That also cause a lot of air to come out.

You can see more bubbles when I pull harder coming out.

Thats it. After the bleeding is sorted (make sure the last bleed was a push - not a pull as per the instructions in the forum post I linked above to avoid brake pads coming apart too far) I just took out the bottom syringe while quickly plugging the hole, then did the same at the top, except I had to plug the syringe with some Gorilla tape to keep the fluid from running out and making a mess.

I made sure to close the top port quickly to avoid any air entering back into the system.
    Then I repeated the whole thing with the front brake except that it was a lot easier this time and there was no routing to be done.

And finally, here is the bike with all of the cabling installed:

I still dont like how the cable is routed to the rear brake:

So thats it guys! Now all I gotta do is wait for the correct crank to arrive from Jenson along with a lighter stem (Syntace megaforce 2) so I can finish the install of the drivetrain and then wait for the tires to arrive.

Bike24 still doesnt have any Jumbo Jims in stock so I am a little stuck with the wait
    Cant WAIT!

P.S I think I bled the brakes a tad too well because now the bite point is like IMMIDIATE and I am getting a tiny bit of disc brake hitting the brake pad on both front and rear at a single point on the disc.
    Basically, the discs came in slightly not true. I had to bend the rear disc in one spot to make it a bit better and at one point I got rid of the slight rubbing on the rear but it comes back as soon as I spin the wheel fast and then stop it HARD with the brake.

Not sure what to do here. Any help guys?

I think there is wayyy too little room between the brake pads and the discs (like 0.5mm on either side). I am not sure what to do short of removing some fluid out of the hydraulic system so that the brake pads come a bit futher apart from each other to stop the rubbing.

Trail Rat
    Very nice thread, i'm currently await my CS-018 frame (Same as SN01 just different name)

Would you mind posting up a picture with coloured lines to show your cable routing throughout the frame?

Keep up the great work! bike looks great too!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

There you go!

Trail Rat
    Thanks very much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast