mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Build or Buy....?

So, I'm seriously considering a new Pugsley come winter. I was going to try to find an older one an clearance, but unless I find a white one, the blue totally kills the red and yellow for me...

So, should I make this my first build-it-myself bike? I could probably get the QBP Pug-in-a-box, but there are some things I'd definitely like to change from that. And, sadly speaking, it looks like the complete would be a heck-of-a-lot cheaper than buying components and assembling myself.

Choices, choices.......

mtbr member
    you seem to have summed it all up. I had parts kicking around to build my 907. The biggest dent is the wheels and tires all the other parts are standard, except the frame. As always buy complete or build.......it depends.

ragley blue pig x

Re: Build or Buy....?

The thing about building it yourself is you get exactly what you want from the start without any upgrading.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manbat View Post
    The thing about building it yourself is you get exactly what you want from the start without any upgrading.
    +1

Speaking as an inveterate builder of bikes, you never can build cheaper than buying complete.

The bike you build though is exactly the one you want.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    This is in white and if you have the rest of the components lying around, all I think you really need is a fatbike specific crankset.

On-One Fatty Rolling Chassis Bundle

This is the only way I can see myself being able to get a fatbike within the next few years.

mtbr member
    Instead of comparing the complete bike with your custom one, the right question is what would it cost to upgrate the pug-in-a-box until it fits to your needs. Is it still cheaper than your self assembled bike?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If I had to do it all over again, I would buy used.

mtbr member
    I have never bought a bike that was exactly what I wanted. Manufacturers are not able to do that. We all have personal preferences especially when it comes to our bikes. Besides that, building your own bike is an incredibly satisfying experience and that is worth something.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    This is so true
    Quote Originally Posted by FlowinFlo View Post
    Instead of comparing the complete bike with your custom one, the right question is what would it cost to upgrate the pug-in-a-box until it fits to your needs. Is it still cheaper than your self assembled bike?
    But I also have the love of shiney things, so tend to build from scratch.

Am currently putting together my first fat bike, and it has been great having to do some research and learn some of the complexities and differences from less novel bikes.

If you can find 2ndhand this can be a huge bonus, getting you a lot more interesting parts for your money. Generally people who buy and subsequently trade bits on tend to look after their gear and are not looking to make a great deal of money in their trading.

Dirt Huffer
    When you build a bike you get exactly what you want, at the price you are willing to pay... and you usually find ways of stretching the wallet, like eating ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch or working OT. I also find the entertainment value to building a bike is priceless. I have almost as much fun building and assembling parts as I do riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    When you build a bike you get exactly what you want, at the price you are willing to pay... and you usually find ways of stretching the wallet, like eating ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch or working OT. I also find the entertainment value to building a bike is priceless. I have almost as much fun building and assembling parts as I do riding.
    my sentiments exactly.

mtbr member
    I like to buy the bike complete so I can ride it right away. As I ride it I quickly become aware of what parts I want to upgrade and what order I will want to change the parts. If the new part ever fails I have a spare to keep me riding until I have a new part.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHag View Post
    This is in white and if you have the rest of the components lying around, all I think you really need is a fatbike specific crankset.

On-One Fatty Rolling Chassis Bundle

This is the only way I can see myself being able to get a fatbike within the next few years.
    I am considering this as a bike for my wife only because I will strip her current bike. All I am buying is the frame(with headset), wheels and a button bracket.

For myself I bought a 2012 fatback upgraded. The only thing I would change is the getting the 70mm wheels instead of the 90mm. Only because I do my share of racing in Anchorage.

I vote for complete bike. I ,however, would not get a pug. IMHO.
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the thoughts, all... can't say it helps my dilemma, but good information. We'll see how things go, in the end.

Moderator Moderator
    I spent more than I had to building, but it was fun, more personalized, and has not needed upgrades* since. And of all the posters here, I can only recall one who regretted his/her purchase, whether new/used, built or complete, so you can't really go wrong. Even the one unhappy customer probably sold it for a decent return.
    Last edited by mtbxplorer; 07-01-2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: OK, just remembered it did require a "downgrade" to a steel fork when I crunched the carbon fork on ice 3 weeks after buildout.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    So, should I make this my first build-it-myself bike? I could probably get the QBP Pug-in-a-box, but there are some things I'd definitely like to change from that. And, sadly speaking, it looks like the complete would be a heck-of-a-lot cheaper than buying components and assembling myself.

Choices, choices.......
    Just depends how many parts you need to change immediately.

I've built most of my bikes and bought a few completes. I'll try and buy a complete when I can - as long as it meets my needs. I can live with a few parts that I might not have bought if starting from scratch.

I have never regretted the completes as I knew what I was getting.

I have regretted some builds because the cost or the end result wasn't what I had hoped.

I have also loved some of my builds that were impossible to come by in stock OEM form.

Depending where you shop you might be able to address issues you have with the stock build before you take the bike home and get the best of both worlds.

I'm in the market for a new FS MTB and I will definitely be aiming for a complete bike if I can get what I want off the shelf and replace parts as they wear out.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

NONDURO
    Either way buying complete, or building, you simply cannot go wrong with the fatbike offerings. I built both of mine (Surly Pugsley, and late 2011 9:zero:7), and in doing so you keep on trying to justify why you want to spend $1,000.00 more than you had originally planned. Been there, done that. Yeah, my fatbikes look cool, but Im sure Id have been enjoying them just the same without all the pricey anodized bits.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Depending where you shop you might be able to address issues you have with the stock build before you take the bike home and get the best of both worlds.
    That would be North Central Cyclery in Illinois. They're an hour away, but Tobie puts customer service first, and I've not regretted any money or time spent there. There is a good chance that I'll end up with a stock Pugs, and store credit to swap out handlebars and saddle. If we can find a 135mm generator hub, then I'll be all set. If not, then I may end up splurging on a 100mm Pugs fork. As a winter commuter, I'd really like to end up with a dynamo.