Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bud and nate

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

bud and nate,,updated with pics

hi I live in UK so not much snow through winter but it's almost always wet, question is do I buy nates front and rear or bud front and nate rear .I fancy the bud will I notice more drag

galaxy note 3
    Last edited by stesteste; 10-23-2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: change title

mtbr member
    More drag, yes, but it's a tough call. You might consider a Big Fat Larry. I have a Nate/bud combo that I ran last winter, it's awesome. I switched th a hudu rear/Larry front for the summer, and it is faster. BUT! I switched back to the bud/Nate a couple of weeks ago for the fall riding, and have been loving the extra Cush up front, and the traction from both, which is insane. The BFL won't offer the traction, but the cush, and will roll better. If you can, spring for the 120tpi, at least on front. Feels awesome. For what it's worth, I love the performance of the hudu, but not impressed with the wear it is showing.

"You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just mounted up a Bud on the front, and he is MASSIVE compared to Nate. I will hopefully get to ride it this weekend and will report back with my findings.

I will say that there is a big difference in effort required between a Nate and knard/hudu. I am not sure which tires offer the best wet grip and rolling performance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    ok been out today on my BFLs and was slipping all over in the woods with the wet conditions and slimy leaves ,I am going to buy BFL 120tpi but I was wondering witch is best to buy 120tpi Nate or Nate 27Tpi for the rear there's a saving of 30 if I buy the 27tpi version thx in advance

mtbr member
    Nate rear, bud upfront on my Muk. Love the combo. If you can afford it, 120tpi is going to be your best bet. A bit lighter, but a lot more supple... and at low PSI, that is what you want.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Bud and Nate are a great combo for UK conditions. My mate couldn't follow my lines on his BFLs, he had very little lateral grip and was sliding about on the top layer of mud. He did roll more easily on sand though where my more aggressive tread dug in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    yes I was sliding everywhere today I love my bfls but think I need to change for winter thx guys for info nate and bud combo is a deffo now lets get shopping thx
    Quote Originally Posted by clubby View Post
    Bud and Nate are a great combo for UK conditions. My mate couldn't follow my lines on his BFLs, he had very little lateral grip and was sliding about on the top layer of mud. He did roll more easily on sand though where my more aggressive tread dug in.

move on up...
    you won't regret it! I am about to change back to my bud/nate combo for winter....awesome go anywhere traction....worth every penny!

Geordie biker
    Chunkier the better
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    How well does the Bud work on a Rolling Darryl rim for the front or is it better on a Clown Shoe. I'll be running a 45N Dillinger in the rear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just got my first ride with Bud n' Nate on RD. It was very wet, lots of leaves on the trail, and bud didn't even blink. If you can run Clownshoes, I would go that route. But I found RD to be just fine.
    Last edited by jonshonda; 10-21-2013 at 08:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    ordered can't wait now I was slipping all over with the Bfls will report back with report

galaxy note 3

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Bud by jonshonda187, on Flickr

mtbr member

bud and nate

Has anyone noticed handling issues with the Bud/Nate combo? The Bud is a noticeably taller tire. Brings the front end higher, leaves the rear lower.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    thx for the pic looks good How's the grip.
    All pics welcome of your bud and nate combos

galaxy note 3

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: bud and nate

Quote Originally Posted by ReXTless View Post
    Has anyone noticed handling issues with the Bud/Nate combo? The Bud is a noticeably taller tire. Brings the front end higher, leaves the rear lower.
    I will be pumping the nate up and stretching it abit I have a thudbuster on my bike and always have more psi in rear and softer on front so hopefully it won't be to much of a difference I think I will love the cush upfront just roll over everything which I do on my bfls but not enough grip for the winter

galaxy note 3

mtbr member
    Re: Height of Bud front, Nate rear... I notice no difference, outside of tenacious front grip. Yes, it is a few cm taller, but it has not thrown off the geometry.
    Rock Dude... you will get a wider contact patch on a Clown Shoe, but the RD/Bud combo will still have a nice wide patch and good grip. I run the Bud on a Marge Lite rim and it's been great. SIGNIFICANTLY wider than the Nate = more float and nice cush at about 7~8psi.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

installed bud and nate wow the bud is massive I had for summer bfls now the nate feels small I should of tried the bud on rear I measured both tyres and frame and surely it should fit ...2 buds would be nice. ... Anyway trekking tomoz so will update on performance

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk now Free

mtbr member
    Based on your pics, I don't think there's any room for a Bud on the rear of your bike.
    Love the pics... in the kitchen, living room. LOL. You must be a bachelor or have a very understanding wife! ...we anxiously await your next set of pics of the bike laying on your bed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    lol bacons it was raining outside so installed tyres in house. different rooms because I was trying to get better light for photos. . play time tomorrow so plenty outdoor pics thx

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    you could put the rear skewer in the front wheel and mock it up to the back to see if it fits (which i also doubt). but the tire combo as is should be awesome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

yeh is handle well today very wet today just keeps paddling along ..... impressed

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Well Being out for today's ride and wasn't disappointed bud and nate is a good combination it will go anywhere and it was really wet today the bud just ploughs along and goes over everything, loads of traction and because the bud is raised higher it means you get more grip From the nate cause you have more weight over the rear., the pedaling seemed easier than my bfls for some reason . my friends on skinnys were spinning out and looked back they was pushing up the wet hills while I just pedalled up(no spin outs for me) overall very happy good combo seemed I had gained an extra Hill climbing gear

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Here's my tyres .
    floater .bfl.bud.and nate

Press thx if i help you

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    been out again on the fatty ,just a quick question since I installed bud and nate the gearing seems easier than when my 2 BFLs were on is this because the nate is smaller on the rear? it really does feel I have gained an extra cog ,todays ride was excellent the bud goes over everything and tremendous grip front and rear hill climbing is really good
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast