jrahm
    Feb 2004

Bucksaw or Fatmoth?

If any of you have been thinking about this, I'd be interested in your observations. I am migrating to an FS fat bike...Bucksaw or Fatmoth. It may be a can't-go-wrong kind of decision, probably would love either. At the moment I am on a 2007 29er ti racer-x, 4" bike, pretty light and nimble but not so stiff and actually a bit too small. I am selling it.

I enjoy aggressive descending and expect either bike would serve in terms of grip and travel, but what I am newly interested in is bushwhacking. I live in the Ponderosa forest, the high desert of Oregon, often big scattered trees with relatively open ground below. To just get on the bike and go, that's the dream. That said, there's 400 miles of great singletrack of all kinds within 30 miles of where I live (Bend/Sisters OR).

I suspect the Salsa will be a bit more agile, shorter wheelbase and chain stays. Maybe a little bigger tire patch, so more float in snow or sand. Lenz rolls over stuff better and may climb better (bigger wheels) and with more travel probably bombs rough descents better. I have heard from the Krampus guys about the grip of the Knards.

Both brands have stellar reputations and make great bikes. Lenz is $500 more. Maybe this is mostly a wheel size decision. Any thoughts?

thanks
    John

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Do you want a fatbike or a 29+ bike? Looks like the bucksaw won't be 29+ compatible. The Lenz will certainly be a better trail bike.

FS 29+ makes more sense to me than a FS fatbike. I don't know if either would be ideal for bushwhacking, though. Where are you putting a frame bag on a FS rig? Get a Pugsley or ECR for bikepacking.

jrahm
    Feb 2004
    I want one bike for all things, in my case mostly trails (usually flowing, moderately technical) with sides of day trip bushwhacking and trackless exploration, and then snow riding. I think either bike will do all these things. I wonder most about the relative nimbleness of the two bikes, likely will not get a test ride on either. Pretty sure the fatter Salsa's the better winter bike, but how good in summer? Sea Otter reviewers really liked it on the trail.
    If I could get a ride on the bikes, all my semi-informed cogitations would mercifully end

Nuts
    Just in case anyone else was wondering.

cogitation[ koj-i-tey-shuhn ]
    noun
    1. concerted thought or reflection; meditation; contemplation: After hours of cogitation he came up with a new proposal.
    2. the faculty of thinking: She was a serious student and had a great power of cogitation.
    3. a thought; design or plan: to jot down one's cogitations.
    Last edited by bdundee; 07-12-2014 at 06:40 AM.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Go with the bucksaw. It will give you more options. Fat wheel set in the winter and 27.5+ for the summer. Imo the variety of options coming down the pipeline will make fat bikes the stable killer.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Owning a FatMoth as I do, (as well as a few fatties including an early FS) I can say that it's become my go to bike. My fervent wish is for more aggressive tires, but those are coming.

That said, a fatbike, it is not, nor will ever be.

If more of your riding is fat prone, sandy, explorative, loamy, make your own way type stuff, then the Bucksaw makes sense.

If more of your riding is trail bombing, railing corners, small bump munching etc, the 'Moth will be fantastic.

Basically, fatbikes are great, but if a lot of your riding is high speed, climbing, firmer surface, etc, you don't need the width as much as the roll, and 29+ rolls like a bat outta hell.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have often thought that a FS fatty could be a jack-of-all-trades bike. I love my 9ZERO7in the summer with Hudu and Knard on RD, and in the winter w/ Bud and Nate. I am a larger fella @ 235lbs and love the ability to lean that b!ch over in the corners, climb whatever, and float over whatever.

I really feel like the big tires are just "right"! You can ride them on the road, then drop the pressure and ride them on the trail, then drop the pressure a little more and ride in some nasty river bank type stuff. When he snow rolls around just switch the tires and BAAM, you are ready to ride snow.

I am just now building up a Banshee PRIME, and I hope I love it. Other wise I might consider having only one bike. But fear that with the frequency I break things, I will miss having a backup.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    [QUOTE=jonshonda;11319680] I love my 9ZERO7in the summer with Hudu and Knard on RD, and in the winter w/ Bud and Nate. I am a larger fella @ 235lbs and love the ability to lean that b!ch over in the corners, climb whatever, and float over whatever.

Just had my second ride on knards on my 9zero7!Big change from two years of running nates front and rear!. I am curious if you run the knard or the husker du up front??? I loved the grip of the nates but they are like a boat anchor compared to the knard.

Are you on the 27tpi or the higher thread count tires? I am also around 230lbs so have opted for the 27tpi tires to date but I don't know if that is really the way to go. I assumed that the 27tpi tires would be better for heavier riders.

Also, curious if you have tried running a Bud up front with a Knard on the rear? So far, so good but I suspect I will be looking for more bite up front. OTOH, got caught in a storm on the first Knard ride and they performed well overall.

But to address the OP, maybe consider a used Pugs or better yet, Moonlander for your exploration rides and consider either a 29+ wheelset or a new FS like the Fatmoth. I love riding in the winter but it is hell on components.
    Last edited by Team Honeybadger; 07-12-2014 at 07:21 AM. Reason: keeping it on topic

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Honeybadger View Post

Just had my second ride on knards on my 9zero7!Big change from two years of running nates front and rear!. I am curious if you run the knard or the husker du up front??? I loved the grip of the nates but they are like a boat anchor compared to the knard.

Are you on the 27tpi or the higher thread count tires? I am also around 230lbs so have opted for the 27tpi tires to date but I don't know if that is really the way to go. I assumed that the 27tpi tires would be better for heavier riders.

Also, curious if you have tried running a Bud up front with a Knard on the rear? So far, so good but I suspect I will be looking for more bite up front. OTOH, got caught in a storm on the first Knard ride and they performed well overall. Thx
    I have a 27tpi Hudu F and 120Tpi Knard rear, only really cuz that is what my lbs had in stock when I wanted summer tires. I would have gone 120 Hudu F if I had the option.

I have not yet tried the Bud up front w/ a Knard, as I don't know what situation would ever require so much traction up front. Also the traction of the Bud might not work well with the traction of the Knard in back, and the overall diameter of the Bud is much larger than Knard, and might throw off the feel of the bike. But if you have the options and time, try out everything you can!

Its the spice of life my friend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Just in case anyone else was wondering.

cogitation[ koj-i-tey-shuhn ]
    noun
    1. concerted thought or reflection; meditation; contemplation: After hours of cogitation he came up with a new proposal.
    2. the faculty of thinking: She was a serious student and had a great power of cogitation.
    3. a thought; design or plan: to jot down one's cogitations.
    you sir have far too much time on your hands.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    you sir have far too much time on your hands.
    45 years old retired with 6 kids, Yes and no.
    And I love beer!!