Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brrrrly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Well, that's a bummer... My 26"x4.7" (labelled) Barbi's are 115/111mm (tread and casing, respectfully) on Jackalopes. Looks like they're just being a little more accurate about their sizing. I'm looking forward to the Minion siblings, now. Thanks for all the info, Mike!

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by JR Z View Post
    Well, that's a bummer...
    I assure you there is nothing 'bummer' about this wheel/tire combo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Other than it won't fit (width-wise) in the rear triangle of my Pug I love my 26" Barbi's, but I love the Jackalope rims more. I can't have one with the other, unfortunately.

I have no doubts about the benefits of the 27.5x5's, but I'm gonna have to wait till something just a smidge smaller (but not Hodag-small) comes along (I like my porrage just right). I appreciate all the early info you're providing on this setup, regardless.

Way back in spring I introduced a multi-day trip that my sweetie and I were going to do (just a few posts up in this thread) but somehow never shared the TR.

One of the best trips I've ever done. So much fun you might wonder if it was legal. Errrrr, the NPS hit me afterwards with 5 citations totaling $1600 in fines, because from their perspective certain aspects of it *were* illegal.

I don't agree, at all, and I'm not taking it laying down -- I consulted a lawyer, and then started talking to a paralegal at the DOJ about the fine details. They're looking to settle it out of court with a token slap on the wrist, but until they make an offer I'm expecting to stand before a magistrate.

Anyhoo -- check the full TR here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brrrrly.-8a3a6727.jpg  

FB&H rider
    Pretty dang cool Mike. Thanks for sharing the pics and stories. Hope all goes well with the resolution.
    2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler MBS "Sir Fatsalot"
    2018 Kona Wozo "Adipose Rex"

mtbr member
    the juxtaposition of 'shall we drill in Antartica' vs 'can we ride a bike through the wilderness' never ceases to amaze me....good luck! and enjoyed reading that...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hey Mike, when the time is appropriate, it sure would be interesting to hear a detailed how and why of the charges, fines, and HOPEFULLY succesfull argument against them.

mtbr member
    Just AMAZING! Thanks for sharing!
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You scofflaw!

Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    the juxtaposition of 'shall we drill in Antartica' vs 'can we ride a bike through the wilderness' never ceases to amaze me....good luck! and enjoyed reading that...

I agree on Antarctica, but am even more frustrated that one of the citations I got was for riding 30 miles down a wash, when there are decade-old scars visible everywhere on this route from when they drove many-ton seismic vehicles wherever they wanted prospecting for black gold. We never touched so much as an ounce of crypto crust, but the prospectors crushed hundreds of linear miles of it with gubmint permission...

Freaking hypocrites.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I agree on Antarctica, but am even more frustrated that one of the citations I got was for riding 30 miles down a wash, when there are decade-old scars visible everywhere on this route from when they drove many-ton seismic vehicles wherever they wanted prospecting for black gold. We never touched so much as an ounce of crypto crust, but the prospectors crushed hundreds of linear miles of it with gubmint permission...

Freaking hypocrites.
    I agree with you, I think the perceived potential damage is less than the reality. You certainly have a right to be frustrated and I don't think it's fair to scapegoat you or make you an example. If they could prove that you damaged the landscape, then perhaps they would have an actual case. However, I would expect you were proceeding with due diligence and care to your surroundings and so it's doubtful. That stated, they are going to make all encompassing policies to enforce with no exceptions because it's easier for them to enforce and leaves no excuses or little ability to circumvent the broadband rule set. A couple things to consider about the last post.

1. "They" did it before, how/why can they tell me I shouldn't do it too. "They" is the gubmint, a group whose members and direction change with public opinon, albeit late to respond to the sentiment, and it's quite possible that those in the group when prospectors were searching for black gold are no longer there and the new guys are driven/motivated by other goals. Like conservation for instance.

2. Unless they are currently "prospecting" and also not allowing others access they are not hypocrites. Perhaps, and this is a big assumption, they learned something that changed the earlier perspective and changed access laws/rules/rights to reflect the new position.

Ok, I still feel that "they" should let it go and you off the hook.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Banned
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    We will eventually reach the point of diminishing returns. We may already have. The applicability of the 2XL tire is already pretty slim. At what point will the speed possible with huge, heavy tires on otherwise too soft to ride conditions be slower than walking? At what point do people start to realize that they could be packing the trail down just as much, going twice as fast or more, having more fun, using less effort and for less money spent by just xc skiing when the conditions are that soft? Is the 2XL at the point where it's only worth the extra weight immediately after a big storm? And even then only allows you to go a little faster than pushing your bike?
    Yes & no. I think you can more easily hit that point with the 2XL because it allows you to ride in less and less favorable conditions. I've been riding in deeper fresh snow than what I would have attempted with my Bud/ Lou combo simply because the bigger tires let me. But I've also had more sufferfest rides to and from work because of it. Today I discovered the amount of effort it takes to ride a fatbike in soft conditions far exceeds what it takes to XC ski down the same trail going the same speed. Even though the temperature rose from 3F this morning on my commute to work to 17F after work with 5" of fresh snow, skiing in the same jacket was much, much less effort. Where I was overheating this morning and took my jacket off, I never got uncomfortably hot while skiing.

I'm glad I have a bike that can fit the 2XL tire front and rear but I won't be jumping up to a bigger tire until it's proven that a larger tire's pros out weigh its cons. Hopefully another company comes out with a lighter, faster rolling 5.05" tire.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Winds of Change?

Way back in spring I introduced a multi-day trip that my sweetie and I were going to do (just a few posts up in this thread) but somehow never shared the TR.

One of the best trips I've ever done. So much fun you might wonder if it was legal. Errrrr, the NPS hit me afterwards with 5 citations totaling $1600 in fines, because from their perspective certain aspects of it *were* illegal.

I don't agree, at all, and I'm not taking it laying down -- I consulted a lawyer, and then started talking to a paralegal at the DOJ about the fine details. They're looking to settle it out of court with a token slap on the wrist, but until they make an offer I'm expecting to stand before a magistrate.

Mike; not desiring to change the flow of your thread; but to interject a possible longer term approach to a compromise that may be beneficial to the circumstances you are facing?

petitions.WhiteHouse.gov

One must create an account.

Perhaps something for all of us to consider to modify the unrepresented regulations we face? With the change of winds, from the White House...?

beer thief
    . ..One of the best trips I've ever done. So much fun you might wonder if it was legal. Errrrr, the NPS hit me afterwards with 5 citations totaling $1600 in fines, because from their perspective certain aspects of it *were* illegal...
    This is very ironic to me since a few years ago on one of your trips you went to great pains to pack your bike on your back to hike thru a Wilderness area. I remember thinking I would likely go with the in-line wheelchair defense and take my chances.

mtbr member
    My Meriwether is for sale

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2338537/

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Are there no hills on the Iditarod trail? That thing looks like itd loop out on anything steeper than an ADA ramp. It must be made for no more than 3 of snow depth as with all the weight on the rear tire it would trench things out better than a ditch witch.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfat View Post
    Are there no hills on the Iditarod trail? That thing looks like itd loop out on anything steeper than an ADA ramp. It must be made for no more than 3 of snow depth as with all the weight on the rear tire it would trench things out better than a ditch witch.
    Oh. It's you. Banned twice hasn't given you the picture? Dude, go get some real friends. You know, humans? Experiment with dialogue, maybe even have a sleepover!

If that's not working, get a puppy. No -- a ferret! Either way, get a freaking life.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Huh?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It's funny people can come back under a different name, but they can't change their writing style, or hang-ups.

turtles make me hot
    I had a ferret once. Kinda cool. Don't want another one though.
    I like turtles

beer thief
    I have a loaner cat. Sometimes hes a pain in the ass but mostly a good dude. How did those citations with the NPS work out, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    I have a loaner cat. Sometimes hes a pain in the ass but mostly a good dude. How did those citations with the NPS work out, anyway?

Token slap on the wrist fine, then it all went away. Paraphrasing the DA: I'm not confident I could get a magistrate to see the point of any of these, so....

turtles make me hot
    Token slap on the wrist fine, then it all went away. Paraphrasing the DA: I'm not confident I could get a magistrate to see the point of any of these, so....
    Nice. I like it when things go this way... But they still had to get SOMETHING. How about a damn dismissal?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    I have zero need for that rig, but for some reason I still want it! Fortunately(?) It's not in the cards financially.

What's it being replaced with???

Professional Crastinator

That one, I like. A lot.

Question: With the obvious appearance of extensive water erosion, how dangerous is a place like that? Looks like flash flood central.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Asking $4,200 for a bike with flawed geometry unless all anyone is going to do is ride it on flat, paved bike paths. See #3 The complete guide to mountain bike geometry - MBR

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfat View Post
    Asking $4,200 for a bike with flawed geometry unless all anyone is going to do is ride it on flat, paved bike paths. See #3 The complete guide to mountain bike geometry - MBR

Your message of hope, inspiration, and cluelessness has been heard, dear friend. Move along now and offer your sanctimonious assistance to those in more dire need than us unwashed heathen out faffing about with unrideable bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Your message of hope, inspiration, and cluelessness has been heard, dear friend. Move along now and offer your sanctimonious assistance to those in more dire need than us unwashed heathen out faffing about with unrideable bikes.
    What is it with you and personal insults? This bike has ridiculously short chainstays a shorter than normal top tube and a riser stem. How pray tell is that bike going to climb a hill without lifting the front tire off the ground with every pedal stroke?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Name:  th_popcorncat.gif
Views: 85
Size:  16.8 KB
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Members who have read this thread: 143