mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Breckenridge Winter Fat Biking

Headed out to Breckenridge in late March for a ski trip with buddies. I plan to bring the Mukluk with me too. Do they allow fat bikes on any trails in the winter? What are the best places to snow ride? Better riding in Copper Mountain or Keystone? Post up here what you know!

mtbr member
    where are you staying. We were thinking of a similar trip in the spring.

is buachail foighneach me
    This isn't a huge help, but when I passed through there several winters ago without a bike, I hiked some trails behind Carter Park that seemed like they would be really fun on a fatbike. They even had some tech features built near and along some of them. Looking at google maps, I think we entered the trails on Sunbeam Dr.

The trails I'm talking about are described here:

Mountain biking in Breckenridge, Colorado: 4 solid rides - Matador Network

Moonstone/Barney Ford

I was there in mid December and they were well used by mostly foot traffic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Dirt Huffer
    Talk to the guys at Alpine Sports. There is this local favorite called LUCY.. Idk if it's open in the winter but if it is, you should do it. Lots of fun. Otherwise, they should know of trails that you can ride in the winter. Plenty of bike and ski shops in town. Someone should know where to go.

mtbr member
    I have to fly out to Breckenridge in March for work. I want to ride a fat bike so thank you for staring this thread. There are several places to rent a bike. Would it even be worth it to ship my fat bike out?

I would also be working until about 6pm. Are there any places to ride after dark? I have lights for riding locally, but wondering what my options would be.

Thanks for the thread. Very useful information here!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've been riding a ton in Breck since I bought my Mukluk 2 weeks ago, and it's fantastic. Peaks trail is great. As is the area around Boreas Pass/Baker's Tank. There's also the nordic center, but honestly I didn't have that good of a time there (had much more fun on the regular "summer" trails that are snowshoed.

Basically just ask around about snowshoeing trails, but from my short experience Peaks and Boreas are fantastic fun. I'll be exploring more in the coming weeks/months, so I'll probably know a lot more by the time your trip comes. Feel free to PM me as it gets closer and I should be able to let you know about snow conditions and more trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I haven't had a chance to start calling around to see what options are. I'll hit you up Jon when the time gets closer. Good to hear that there is more to ride than groomed cross country ski trails. That sounds pretty boring.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413 View Post
    I haven't had a chance to start calling around to see what options are. I'll hit you up Jon when the time gets closer. Good to hear that there is more to ride than groomed cross country ski trails. That sounds pretty boring.
    Agreed. The one day I did at the nordic center was indeed pretty boring (and $20). I ended up heading outside of the area onto the town trail system and had a blast.

Hit me up as your time gets closer, and maybe we can meet up.

Whatever
    Tons of riding from the mtn bike trails east of town. Can start at Carter Park but will need to hike up the first pitch behind the sledding hill. Then take Moonstone up then Barney Ford...can go down V3 and over to trails by the dredge. Rich at Alpine Sports (north) has maps and will give you advice on how they're riding at that time.
    just ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanpierce View Post
    I've been riding a ton in Breck since I bought my Mukluk 2 weeks ago, and it's fantastic. Peaks trail is great. As is the area around Boreas Pass/Baker's Tank. There's also the nordic center, but honestly I didn't have that good of a time there (had much more fun on the regular "summer" trails that are snowshoed.

Basically just ask around about snowshoeing trails, but from my short experience Peaks and Boreas are fantastic fun. I'll be exploring more in the coming weeks/months, so I'll probably know a lot more by the time your trip comes. Feel free to PM me as it gets closer and I should be able to let you know about snow conditions and more trails.
    Second vote for Peaks Trail and Boreas Pass. I was out in Breck for the first part of winter and had a blast on the fatty when I wasn't on my skis.

Breckenridge Bike Guides on Main St. also is another good source. They have guided fat bike tours (not really what you want, I know) but they have some good knowledge of trails in the area for fattys.

p.s. make sure the mountain doesn't win like it did for me on the skis (torn ACL... Kinda puts a damper on the winter biking and other such activities)
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

2016 Cannondale Habit
    2014 Surly Pugsley Custom