mtbr member

brake pad contamination

This more or less is a general Q regarding pad contamination from fluid and my interest peaked mainly due to, well doing exactly that when bleeding them. I have read about it, heard people mention it and for the most part am aware however i did not heed the warning about pad removal before(dum chit) doing so hence pads were wet with fluid. I decided to clean them with isopropryl alcohol and give them a go...low and behold when they heated up the braking efficiency was pretty piss poor and upon further inspection something streaked on the disc face (i presume fluid oozing from the pad)

Aside from pad replacement is there another method to save the contaminated pads? i.e. cleaner of some sort, heat of some form or fashion ??
    Last edited by nvphatty; 11-04-2012 at 08:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I put a sheet of sand paper on my work top and ran the pads back and forth until I took off the top layer. Then I just ran them in again. They work just as good as before...
    My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle San Andreas VPS
    Mountain Cycle Rumble Ltd.
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

mtbr member
    ive cooked xtr pads contaminated with mineral oil. backing plate down, on an old msr stove outside !...pads as good as new. cook until they stop smoking...

Nuts
    I do the same on the outside stove. The last set I forgot about and they cooked for over 8hrs.
    And I love beer!!

No Stranger to danger....
    like the posters have said above you can cook them in the oven untill they stop smoking, you can sand them with heavy grit wet n dry sandpaper which i find works ok, but you pads will imo never be the same again with any method, if they are really badly contaminated id buy a new set..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

ouch....
    I cooked some pads, brought back stopping power, but pad life was shortened quite a bit .
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Gents thank you all for the feedback and just for giggles i'll give the emery cloth / bake a try on the propane BBQ and keep them as spares but will replace with a new pr.

In thinking about it if the pads can absorb fluids then yes perhaps 'bake a pad' would be a solution which some have confirmed

I cooked some pads.
    shark was this the main coarse and pray tell what was the side dish?

ouch....
    Lol there was beer involved, and maybe ice cream afterward
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    not sure about the beer but fugg yea ice cream.........must ride 2hrs longer

Well i did the deed and will make use of the pads until new ones arrive.

No Stranger to danger....
    Get some new pads and experiment with the contaminated ones, if they are organic they cam absorb the oil n fluid easier than some think so even baking n sanding will not do the job in some situations, if they are sintered you might stand a better chance, so give em the oven treatment n see how they go, then give them a sand and see how they go...
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Get some new pads and experiment with the contaminated ones, if they are organic they cam absorb the oil n fluid easier than some think so even baking n sanding will not do the job in some situations, if they are sintered you might stand a better chance, so give em the oven treatment n see how they go, then give them a sand and see how they go...
    Mmmm yes thats true. Mine are sintered...
    My Rides:
    Mountain Cycle San Andreas VPS
    Mountain Cycle Rumble Ltd.
    Mountain Cycle Battery
    GT STS-2 Carbon
    GT LTS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    yup thats what i was referring to in my last post, i sanded them then baked @ 550 and installed them...oh and yes they are sintered. New ones have been ordered.
    Last edited by nvphatty; 11-05-2012 at 07:40 AM.

mtbr member
    i must admit, i was surprised mine worked so well...they were the finned resin xtr pads and i didnt expect them to come good. i wasnt too annoyed because generally i run the metal shimano pads which are a lot better for my conditions. however, at the time, there was a bit of a shortage in stock so i decided to give it a bash. hth....