mtbr member

Bought a new fattie.

Went to the swap meet in Westminster Md today. Lot of good stuff so had fun. Stopped a one of the local shops booth. He had an origin8 Amarok XLT for $800. Said nah. At the end of the show he dropped it to $650. Took a test ride and found it to be FUN. Made me laugh! Figure at that price I can ride it for a while and see if I want to ride fatties. So I took the FAT Plunge. I can upgrade or stay stock. It's not a bad bike. Took it on some singletrack on the way home and am now learning about tire pressure! I got bounced right into a tree. A whole different kind of ride. BTW what is the genera consciences on running dry dirt tire pressure? Gotta get a pressure guage for the presta stems. Like I said It seems like a good starter bike. Will get some pics tomorrow. Supposed to get 1-4 inches of snow tonight and will be playing tomorrow!
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

turtles make me hot
    Depends on a few things... How much you weigh, how good the tires are...
    My fat bike has 5" tires on 100mm rims, tubeless. I weigh about 250. I run 9 psi rear and 8 front on hard pack singletrack. 8 and 7 on sand, less on snow, depending on conditions.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I have 4.6" tires on 90mm rims. I weigh 190 lbs and run 5 to 6 psi front and 7 to 8 psi rear. This on dry desert conditions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I run 10 psi on dry dirt on 4.6 ground control tires on 90mm rims. I weigh ~190. Anything less than that and I get the basketball bouncy effect.

It's something you will need to experiment with. Too many variables with rider weight, tire manufacturer and rim width.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

clown question, bro
    Welcome to the club. The Origin-8 was my intro to fatty-world this winter, too.

I found the Chaoyang tires to be fairly decent on packed snow [no experience on dirt yet] but pretty miserable in powdery/loose snow. I had them down as low as 2-3 PSI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    It's something you will need to experiment with. Too many variables with rider weight, tire manufacturer and rim width.
    Couldn't agree more. I ride 4" vee missions on 80mm rims (suck in snow, good for dirt). at 240 lbs, I ride dirt trails about 8 in front and 10 in back, rocky stuff gets 10 in front and 12 in back, snow gets about 4/6. gravel/asphalt/road gets 20/25.

Can't wait for my next bikepacking trip. Ride it 40 miles at 25 psi, setup camp, lower it to 10 and hit the trails.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help. I got my first snow ride yesterday! was great! I did discover why they call them fat. I was riding the singletrack I usually do on my flash. Went through just fine on the first loop. Came back around again and went between 2 small trees and caught a pedal on a small tree. Was on decent so was moving at a rather healthy clip. I did not think a fatty could fly like that! Picked myself up and out everything back like it was and rode 2 more hours till I could no stand it any more. Went to the ER and it looks like it is not broken but heading to sports med today. The bike came out ok though!=) Was a lot of fun even with the crash.I did get the back tire down to about 3lbs front about 6lbs and that was pretty sweet. The 4.9" tires were pretty good at that. Did find I will be changing out to a different cassette and may change the front also. It is currently a 1x9, thought about a 2x9 but don't think I have the clearance.
    Trying to post pics will try when I get back from the Doc.

Zeppy, Which origin8 did you get. How do you like it? Have you made any upgrades to it?

This area is a some singletrack a couple miles from my house that I ride my flash. There are only about 3 miles of trails but they keep you interested. lot of climbing. and decents.

Last edited by fishboy316; 02-16-2016 at 01:42 PM. Reason: pics
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

clown question, bro
    I have the Amarok as well. Most of the stuff that I've swapped has been out of the parts bin: 32t ring, different bars/grips/seat, but I did swap out the tires for the Bontrager Barbegazis and am running the SL Q-tubes rather than the heavy, beastly tubes it came with.

So far, I've been quite impressed with how much better the Barbegazis are than the Chaoyangs [though I think the Chaoyangs will suffice as a summer tire].

I'm definitely planning to switch it over to 1x10 this summer, though.

Here's a pic from yesterday's adventures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bought a new fattie.-img_20160216_1910502.jpg  

mtbr member
    Wow! That's where I thought I was going to land the other day when I clipped the tree! LOL! Very nice place you are riding. Very beautiful.

I was thinking about swapping out the tires but here in Maryland it is not much snow riding so I am probably going to run the Chaoyangs for now. They actually did ok on Monday. Had the rear down to about 3-4 lbs and they did bite in rather well. I will more than likely change out the tubes. Do you know if the wheels the way they are can take a 10 speed cassette? I am looking on Ebay and starting to put my wish list together. Am looking to put a 42 tooth climbing gear on this bike. Thought about trying to go 2x but I believe it is just to tight with the 4.9" tire. I am looking at some used x9 components to put on it. Could go with x7 as well. The stuff is pretty cheap on ebay so I will more than likely go for it. It is a freaking kick to ride and at $650 what the heck. Keeping my eye open for a good deal on a bluto. Looking at several 27.5+ and 29+ wheelsets to try. Just looking at what is out there.

Bill
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

clown question, bro
    That's one of the few places near me [Central WI] with some views like that.

I'm fairly sure, though not 100% certain, that a 10spd cassette will work on the stock hub. At least around here 1x9/10 is plenty of gears, so it should be an easy swap.

Cheap/easy project is going with the superlight Q-tubes. If I remember correctly, it cut out ~400 grams per tube from the stock tubes.

mtbr member
    I went through Wisconsin 1 time. I fell in love with it. Beautiful place! Nice people. Tons of riding and fishing.

I think I have a spare 10 speed cassette around here, will just try it. Will let you know. If I can blow this out to 10 or 11 speed with a 42t gear, I think it would be ok for here also. Found that it was a bit shallow towards the top of a couple climbs. Will need to also get new shifter and derailuer. Kinda looking forward to doing stuff with it.
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    @fishboy316

My best advice for you when riding on snow is that, if you're unsure on tire pressure when riding fat, remember that less is more

I'm very light though, but I normally ride from 1-4psi on snow depending on the conditions. Basically if you either spin out or the tire dig through the snow, 1 psi less can make a world of difference.
    (also be aware that most pressure gauges doesn't work well under 4 psi)

mtbr member
    As soon as I heal up I am going to do some experimenting with the pressure. I was at around 3psi in the snow and it really started gripping a lot better. I think I am going to change out the tubes to lighter ones and run the stock tires for now. Am looking at some new cassettes with 11-40t or 42t climbing gears. Does anyone have experience with the Sunrace cassettes? Probably going with some X9 or X7 components for 10 speed. It currently has 9 speed 11-34 sram x4 with 33t chain ring on the front. Will I need to change out the chin also wilt the 40t or 42t? Am starting to get my things together for the change out. Being new to fat bikes I feel like I got a million questions. I am real glad to have a place like this to ask them!

Thanks again in advance!
    Bill
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you're putting on new gears, then get a new chain.
    If you're looking on eBay, don't get used stuff. The premium you save isn't worth getting something that's been bashed around already.

clown question, bro
    Keep us posted on whether a 10spd cassette fits.

You will need a new chain if you're changing the number of speeds [9 to 10 or 9 to 11]. Watch the type of der. you pick out compared to the number of teeth in the low gear; I don't believe you would want a short cage if you're running a super-low gear. [Though I'm a singlespeeder in the summer, so I could be talking out of my @$$]

I've been noticing a downside of the Origin-8 stuff is a lack of community-generated data posted around the interwebs when compared to some of the bigger/earlier fatties.

mtbr member
    I agree with you on that zeppy. I can't find any user groups or anything like that for the Origin8 stuff either. The bike seems like a nice bike but either there is not a bunch out there or they keep their heads down. I think you are correct about the short cage. I am looking at the long cages. How much room do you think is needed to make the bike 2x9 .I have about 1/2-3/4" of clearance between the chain and the tire. Is there such a thing as a compact little ring? I believe that would make my current setup ok. I would do that instead of changing to a 1x10 if it would fit.

Thanks
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

clown question, bro
    Honestly, I'm not sure. Gears are largely a mystery to me. :|

I'm leaning towards the 1x10 conversion solely because it's less gears for me to potentially screw up.

mtbr member
    You currently a 1x9 or 2x9? I ordered a 30t chain ring last night will let you know how it works when I get it. Also just bought a 1x10 x5 mini group. Will try that also and let you know how that goes. Maybe we should start a origin8 group. See if we are the only 2 out there. LOL So do you think our wheels can go tubeless? I sent an inquiry to origin8 but did not get a reply. Maybe will put it out on the forum.

I looked at the clearance issue for 2x and with he monster tire on it I don't see it happening. Just to tight.
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppy View Post
    Keep us posted on whether a 10spd cassette fits.

You will need a new chain if you're changing the number of speeds [9 to 10 or 9 to 11]. Watch the type of der. you pick out compared to the number of teeth in the low gear; I don't believe you would want a short cage if you're running a super-low gear. [Though I'm a singlespeeder in the summer, so I could be talking out of my @$$]

I've been noticing a downside of the Origin-8 stuff is a lack of community-generated data posted around the interwebs when compared to some of the bigger/earlier fatties.
    Just to be clear, there's no question of if 10 speed fits.
    Any hub that takes 8 or 9 also takes 10, but you'll need a tiny little spacer before you put on the cassette.

Also, the size of the chainring has nothing to do with your RD. the total difference in teeth dictates whether you get short, med, or long cage.

If you're going 1x, then short is fine. If you're using a GC, then you may need med or long. Look on Sheldon Brown's page and it'll tell you why.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Note that general consensus is to go as short of cage as possible because this improves shifting. I've never noticed, but I'm also a plebian.

mtbr member
    Hi and thanks. I picked up a 10 speed x5 mini group cheap to play with. This x5 has 11-36 casette currently have a 11-34. I am thinking the 36t with the chain ring I currently have may give me the little extra I need in the climb. I also have a 30t chain ring coming . I am just experimenting at this point. I picked em both up cheap for just that purpose. Also on the 9 speed w/30t if i lose to much on the top end i am going to try a 10 tooth instead of the 11. Depending on which one makes the cut the other will go on a MTB that I am putting together for my daughters and friends to ride when they want to go with me. all of my bikes are LG or XL. Am slowly building a small.(I don't usually let folks ride my bikes anyway)

I do have another question.(SHOCKER) What kind of pump/repair stuff do you guys carry? The little pumps seem like they would take FOREVER to pump up a flat.

Thanks for your patients.
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I think a ten tooth cog is a specialty item... But I could be wrong.

Carry with you is different for everyone, there are definitely threads on this.

I carry a little pump, and it's a bunch of pumps to get the air up. I've gotten one flat in the past 14 months though... So it's not a big deal to me.

It's really the only option (I think) because it would take many standard co2 cartridges to fill a tire, and I hear the co2 doesn't play nice with tubeless brew.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Takes 4 25g Co2 to fill a 4" tire to 6psi. Read that on another post.
    I have a Lezyne pump made for fat bike. Light and super effective. Topeak has one too, both portable and floor models.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply's. Got a high volume portable pump on the way. Got a couple of new tubes. Looks like all I need is the standard stuff for local rides, just a bit fatter. New stuff should be here this week and I should be ready to roll again next week. (If healed up enough) Thanks for the help, it is a learning experience for sure.
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I ride 4" vee missions on 80mm rims (suck in snow, good for dirt). at 240 lbs, I ride dirt trails about 8 in front and 10 in back, rocky stuff gets 10 in front and 12 in back, snow gets about 4/6. gravel/asphalt/road gets 20/25.

Can't wait for my next bikepacking trip. Ride it 40 miles at 25 psi, setup camp, lower it to 10 and hit the trails.
    I am playing around at this PSI right now too. 4.25" Vee H-Billies on 80mm rims tubeless. 10 in front and 12 in rear for pavement and gravel.

I haven't made it to single-track or beach yet so those PSI will need to be figured out soon.
    Fat biking in the Coastal Southeast.

mtbr member
    for pavement and gravel, I'd air it up a little more. Don't need suspension from a comfort aspect, and you're more likely to tear up and wear down the tire tread at those pressures. Considering the cost of good fat tires, I'd rather run higher pressure than wear them up, especially after the joy of a tubeless setup.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    I was toying with tubeless on my origin8 but not sure that the cheap wheels will do it. Am looking at some other wheels but that's down the road yet. May just put MR.Tuffy in and be done with it for now. Got em in my tires on my flash 29er and they work great. No flats for almost 2 years. Adds a little weight but at the weight of this thing I don't think it will matter.LOL
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6