mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Bottom Bracket Question on my New 9:zero:7

Hello! I am brand spanking new to the Fat Bike world. I have road bike all my life. I started with bmx as a kid and road bike in college. Once I got in to the work force and had kids my bike time dramatically decreased. I picked up my road bike again four years ago and haven't got off since. I had my best year of riding ever in 2012. I don't want it to stop. When the snow started to fly, I decided to purchase a fat bike.

I test road, researched and liked the ride of the 9:zero:7 the best. It fit me like a dream. I loved how it handled. I pulled the trigger yesterday. After my first ride, I noticed something on the non-drive side of the bottom bracket. Specifically, the bottom bracket doesn't sit tight up against the shell casing and there is a small gap. There is no wiggle or play in the BB and everything is torqued out to spec.

This doesn't seem right though. It seems this area is way too exposed to the elements and grime.

Coming from the road side of the sport, I am not familiar with this bottom bracket nor bike setup. So, I want to get some feedback before dragging everything back to my lbs. I live in the sticks and over an hour away from the closest 9:zero:7 dealer. It isn't too local.

mtbr member
    You may need to make a drive to your dealer, it's possible that the threads of the bb need to be 'chased' - cleaned out of debris, paint etc with a special shop tool - so that the bb assembly can thread in all the way.

ed; if you have the tools and are comfortable removing the bb you might be able to clean the threads a bit yourself with a wire brush first, that might be enough to make a difference.

mtbr member
    definitely requires attention before riding resumes as there should be NO gap/space between them. The frame requires chasing/facing prior to assembly as Martin mentioned however if this was performed then look into the BB cups & plastic spacer fitment.

Hole Maker.
    I'm having a hard time discerning from the photo... Is there a visible gap between the backside of the cup and the face of the frame's bottom bracket shell?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cendres View Post
    I'm having a hard time discerning from the photo... Is there a visible gap between the backside of the cup and the face of the frame's bottom bracket shell?
    agreed but yes the gap is there otherwise you would not see the face of the shell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cendres View Post
    If you look at the shadow of the BB cup (at about 3 o'clock) you can see where it crossed the line of the shell.

That BB shell looks like it has already been faced. I'm though my 9:zero:7 frame was painted therewhen it arrived (but it was last year and I might be mistaken).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thank you guys for your input.

Sorry for the confusing image. I am slightly confused by what I see. There is a definite gap between the frame's shell and the back side of the cup. When I look at the backside of the cup, it isn't flat but conical. That said, I don't think it is touching the shell. It feels to me a part is missing.

I have the tools to take a BB apart, but I am holding off. I just emailed the image and detailed description to the shop I bought it from. I simply don't want to mess with anything until I hear from them. I don't like how much sand is caught down deep in the gap. I don't have the tools to chase or face.

I am trying to figure out the exact model of the BB. I am thinking it is a Truvativ Giga Pipe Team DH 100/100E x148mm ISIS BB I am not 100% positive on that though.

I cannot for the life of me find a detailed manual for it online. My other though is the front derailleur is an etype. I am wondering if that was not configured in to adjusting the proper spacers.

Thank you again for all your insight. I encourage any thoughts. I feel a bit like a fish out of water and am learning tons my first full day as a fat bike owner. If it was bb30's and press mounted bb's I would feel a lot more at home

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    FYI - I just heard back from the bike shop I bought my 9:zero:7 at and they responded with the following:

That gap is normal, the cup is pressed firm up against the inner sealed bearing. If it bugs you we can put a washer in that space, it is kind of fiddly to get a washer to fit because it has to be the exact width of that gap so it takes some time on the grinder to get the washer exactly right. The bottom bracket shell is faced, you only face a BB shell until it is perfectly flush (regardless of the paint profile on the BB shell - these frames have a rounder taper at the edge of the BB shell than a lot of others, I think it is because they are pretty thick). Email works good for us, feel free to let us know if you have any other questions. Oh, and if you want a washer put in the gap we would be happy to make one fit - just let me know and we can do it whenever you get back to Bemidji, it is perfectly fine to ride on it with the gap, that bottom bracket is all sealed on the inside so no need to worry about contamination.

I will be honest the amount of exposed BB face and dirt that collects in there is a bit discerning. I have never seen a BB configuration quite like this.

Hole Maker.
    Huh. I'm with you, no likey. Not sure how a washer would work there, unless it is also conical? Maybe you could lay a thin layer of clear silicone there to seal it up?

I am glad that BB30 hasn't pervaded fat bikes. Stupidest. Idea. Ever.

mtbr member
    That doesn't sound right - AT ALL.

Can you find out what model of crank and BB you have?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I know, I am not liking this either!

I emailed asking the exact model of BB they installed. (I have a feeling I know the model, but I want to confirm it.) The cranks are - FSA Alpha Drive ISIS 170mm 22/36 with a Shimano XT FD-M760 E-Type Derailleur.

Chronic Underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by vadavoom View Post
    I know, I am not liking this either!

I emailed asking the exact model of BB they installed. (I have a feeling I know the model, but I want to confirm it.) The cranks are - FSA Alpha Drive ISIS 170mm 22/36 with a Shimano XT FD-M760 E-Type Derailleur.
    So, my experience with a bit older 9:Zero:7 running an FSA Platinum DH 100mm was that the non-drive side cup had no flange like the one in the photo. Not sure why it would even need one, since the lateral position of the BB is dictated by the drive-side cup and any E-type derailleur plates or washers between its flange and the right side of the BB shell. The non-drive cup just locks the BB cartridge in place, which happens inside the non-drive cup, not at the shell.

If it really bothers you, go to the hardware store and find a nice big o-ring or 1" plumbing washer to fill the gap. You'd need to pull the pedal to get it on, but either would be stretchy enough to go over the crankarm, I bet.
    Last edited by MauricioB; 11-30-2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Yes, I can type.

Chronic Underachiever
    And here's a not-great photo of my FSA Platinum DH BB in place. No flange on the non-drive-side cup, because this BB has the internal splines like a Shimano cartridge BB. Since the flange on yours is just to allow a place for the tool to grab and there's no structural interaction between the flange and the shell, I wouldn't worry about it.

If the idea of grimy threads bugs you, cover it up somehow...o-ring, caulk, water-repellent grease, tape, whatever. What I wouldn't do is put in a metal or hard plastic spacer, since that could very well prevent the non-drive side cup (which is actually a lockring in this case) from completely engaging the bearing cartridge, allowing either or both sides to come loose...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bottom Bracket Question on my New 9:zero:7-p1060154.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thank you so much Mauricio for your detailed response. I truly appreciate it. This helps tons and makes complete sense. Thank you for helping a Newb!!!

Chronic Underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by vadavoom View Post
    Thank you so much Mauricio for your detailed response. I truly appreciate it. This helps tons and makes complete sense. Thank you for helping a Newb!!!
    My pleasure...always warms my heart when somebody can make use of a bit of my dorknowledge

mtbr member
    It's a TruVativ Gigapipe DH BB. I installed one in this beast just last week.

If that's that case, the gap is completely normal. They supply a little rubber o-ring to take up the space, but the gap is normal. Installation instructions even warn against over-tightening trying to close the gap.

It's normal. Find an o-ring to fit in there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bottom Bracket Question on my New 9:zero:7-photo.jpg  

Nuts
    Nater is spot on, I just put one on my wife's pugs.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thank you Nater! I will hunt down an oring. I am glad it is that simple.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nater, you actually got room for a Bud up front? Rear tire is Nate yes?

Sorry fr thread hijack but had to ask when I saw the gorgeous picture of that black 9:zero:7.

Bj.

mtbr member
    Actually tried the Bud/Lou combo first...no go on the rear with a Lou.

Went to Nate rear/Bud front. Clearance on the front with a Bud is just fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The BB comes WITH the proper 0-ring...