mtbr member

Bottom Bracket Help Please

I have had my Pugsley, Necro for a bit less than a year. I don't consider myself to be an abusive rider, but, I've noticed play in the bottom bracket already. I first felt it while peddling and confirmed that it is definitely the bottom bracket. The cups and cranks are not loose. Everything is properly tightened. There is back and forth play. Could it already be worn out? How often are you all replacing BB's on your fatbikes?

It s a Surly mr whirly crankset with the bottom bracket that came with the bike. Any thoughts? Also, any recommendations on a replacement BB?

Thanks

I would take the crankset off, remove the BB cups, remove bearings and clean them, then re-pack them with grease. Tighten the crankset back up and see if it is better. I clean and re-grease my bottom bracket probably every 2 months.

mtbr member
    I'll give that a try. I didn't know the bearings were re-packable. I thought they were sealed cartridge bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by nagant View Post
    I'll give that a try. I didn't know the bearings were re-packable. I thought they were sealed cartridge bearings.
    There is just a little orange rubber seal over them, you can pluck it out with a sharp pick or something. I will actually soak them in degreaser and then spray them out really good with an air compressor and let them dry. The little plastic cover is the most annoying part to get off, the orange seal is easy. It's pretty easy to figure out though.

Edit... just found this. Should help, same BB:

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Those bearings are not known for longevity. And there's really no adjustment for wear in most cartridge BB's. Just ride 'em til they annoy you and then replace. Buy a few spares.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Edit... just found this. Should help, same BB:
    I'm pretty sure I'm gonna replace dez guyz!

Vagician
    I went thru several of the surly bottom bracket bearings really fast. Only got a few months out of them.

Replaced with Enduro ceramics and have had much better results. Definitely worth the price.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    they seem to last longer on a Necro than on a moonie.........lucky for us we have the condensate/moisture drain hole in the bottom bracket shell

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Those bearings are not known for longevity.
    Ha ha that is a understatement. Run from Surly bearings to Enduro or better, Phil etc...

mtbr member
    Its too bad. I have a commutor bike I have riden a lot, almost daily for years that has an internal cartridge square taper bottom bracket that I have never touched. It is still smooth as glass and tight. Had the Surly for less than a year and the bottom bracket is kaput? Doesn't seem right for a more expensive bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkbike2 View Post
    Ha ha that is a understatement. Run from Surly bearings to Enduro or better, Phil etc...
    FYI.

The MWOD I just bought (two months ago) for my Moonie came with Enduro bearings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Chris King makes a 100MM bb with the inner tube that completely covers the shaft and seals the bearings, Hope also make the external cup BB that use much better bearings.

I used the Hope.

If you want a set that come off a Moonie you can have mine that were never ridded for 25 plus about 6 for the shipping.
    I LOVE ORANGE keep them coming, if I wanted to change I would have done it 50-60 years ago....

Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    FYI.

The MWOD I just bought (two months ago) for my Moonie came with Enduro bearings.
    Mine has the enduro bearings as well... I've still had to clean and grease them. Not sure what the deal is... I do get the BB packed full of mud and snow, so that could be it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvie View Post
    I used the Hope.
    So which Hope BB do you use? I get confused on this. The ones that come with the MWOD don't come with a 100mm center sleeve... and it is the GXP type, right? So wouldn't any GXP type BB cup work? Like this one from Hope?
    Last edited by duggus; 04-19-2013 at 11:05 AM.

mtbr member

Update From the OP

I ended up replacing the Bottom Bracket with a Race Face 100mm BB complete with the sleeve that was lacking in the Surley original equipment. When I removed the old BB I could feel the grit in the bearings. They must not be sealed very well. The new one was easy to install. I hope it keeps the grime out better.

mtbr member

OP update: Poorly sealed

I finally got around to pulling apart the original equipment cup bearings; here is what I found.
    Underneath the plastic sleeves, the inner race surfaces under the sleeves were rusty. The non-drive side was the worst. A lot of grit was in the cartidge bearings. Rather than sealing water out, they seemed to seal it in.
    After riding in wet sandy conditions, I was careful to gently clean and dry to the best of my ability, but it seems that trapped water was held in the bearings and between the sleeves and the inner races.
    I hope the replacement bottom bracket does better. I'm thinking because the Race face BB has a full tube, that it should do better in keeping water out. I installed the new BB with a layer of marine greese everywhere that water might want to sneak in.

mtbr member
    FWIW CRC replaced my Raceface BB on warranty when it seized after 4 months use (lots of beach use, close to 1000km)

Laramie, Wyoming
    I got about 2,000 miles out of my original Moonlander bottom bracket bearings. It was well past time to move on.

NONDURO
    Id gone through a few sets of Mr. Whirly bottom bracket cups, and managed to washer out one bottom bracket spindle. Im running Race Face Atlas DH on my fatbike and Truvativ Howitzer on my other bikes thousands of miles later, have only had to replace the bottom bracket cups once.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Chris Bling
    So to bring back this thread.........

It has come time for me to replace my isis bb.......or is it?

My question is it going to be better to replace it with the FSA Platinum for $40, buy new RaceFace Ride cransk/bb for 85, or get the RaceFace Turbine Cranks/BB for $200?

Looking for longevity and reliability, something that I am confident you guys know a thing or two about
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Just replace the BB, put the change in the 'Carbon Rims' jar!