Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Boris report....

Got the Boris X9 in this morning. Box was intact and all parts accounted for. Assembled the bike with a couple issues. The front derailleur cable was routed on the left side of the steer tube, should have been on the right. Not a big deal, I'll re-route it went the weather sucks and I can't ride. It appears the front rotor is slightly warped. I'll email BD regarding the rotor. Pictures to follow, I got to get it on the trail first!! Overall, very pleased with the purchase.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I took it on the trail and talk about a different feeling. Tires were inflated to approx 18#. Now I see why they call it squishy and they float. I'm not too sure I like it on the dry trails. It didn't seem as responsive as my Camber 29er. Climbs ok on the loose stuff, but I do miss my suspension on the flats and going down hill. Now the snow will be a different story. That's why I bought the fatty in the first place.

The second picture shows the front derailleur cable routed on the left side of the steer tube. Does Yakima sell a longer bolt for their fork mounted roof bike carriers?

Boris report....-fatty1.jpg

Boris report....-fatty3.jpg

Boris report....-fatty2.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Boris report....

Got my Boris today and had the same cable routing issue and warped front rotor. Minor issues in my mind. Went for an 18 mile ride the bike feels good. This is my first fat bike and the steering feels very foreign but I'm slowly getting used to it. The paint on the bike looks much better than I thought it would. I'm 6ft tall with a 33inch inseam and the large fits me like a glove. Overall very happy with the bike so far!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    i am going to hav eto get one of those tailgate pads!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I recognize the area. I'm in GF too. Let me know if you want too go riding sometime. I ride on lunch break and on Saturdays.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
    I recognize the area. I'm in GF too. Let me know if you want too go riding sometime. I ride on lunch break and on Saturdays.
    Sounds good! I'm not the fastest in the crowd, probably more like the turtle. I bike for health, not for speed PM me your contact info..

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by radnur22 View Post
    I took it on the trail and talk about a different feeling. Tires were inflated to approx 18#. I'm not too sure I like it on the dry trails. It didn't seem as responsive as my Camber 29er. Climbs ok on the loose stuff, but I do miss my suspension on the flats and going down hill.
    18# is road pressure for big Clydes. Drop 8-10# and give it a go again.
    It was never going to be nimble like your Camber.
    Fat tires are not a substitution for actual tuned suspension. Lowering your tire pressure will help and there are a few fork options out there.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by radnur22 View Post
    I took it on the trail and talk about a different feeling. Tires were inflated to approx 18#. Now I see why they call it squishy and they float. I'm not too sure I like it on the dry trails. It didn't seem as responsive as my Camber 29er. Climbs ok on the loose stuff, but I do miss my suspension on the flats and going down hill. Now the snow will be a different story. That's why I bought the fatty in the first place.

The second picture shows the front derailleur cable routed on the left side of the steer tube. Does Yakima sell a longer bolt for their fork mounted roof bike carriers?
    your pressure is a bit high; at 18#, I wouldn't describe it as squish and your traction is likely to be quite compromised. i'd recommend dropping it to 12#- it will be a much different bike. A lot of guys go even lower than that, 8-9 psi for hardpack and as low as 4-5 in the snow. Next time you go out, bring a floor pump & a low pressure gauge and play around with pressures.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hey Guys and Girls, this is my first post so I hope it goes well. I received my Boris X9 yesterday and put it together. I'm wondering if anyone else has a problem with the front forks being bent? I had to pull the forks apart to get the front wheel in, and it wasn't easy. Now the front wheel is off set to one side. I also had the same issue with the cables but I'm wondring if that is how they wanted it? Love the bike and hope I can get BD to figure out the fork problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazn1 View Post
    Hey Guys and Girls, this is my first post so I hope it goes well. I received my Boris X9 yesterday and put it together. I'm wondering if anyone else has a problem with the front forks being bent? I had to pull the forks apart to get the front wheel in, and it wasn't easy. Now the front wheel is off set to one side. I also had the same issue with the cables but I'm wondring if that is how they wanted it? Love the bike and hope I can get BD to figure out the fork problem.
    I haven't received my bike yet, but looking at the bikes direct website it is possible the forks are tapered based on this image of theirs:

Boris report....-img_7791.jpg

However, I would think it would have an even taper and not look bent to one side or the other. Some pics would help (plus, we want to see all the new bikes around!).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Can you tell me more about that tailgate pad?
    That looks amazing!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    It is definitely not even on both sides. I will take some pics and attach them later today.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    That looks amazing!
    Smiley
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That looks amazing!
    Assuming you're talking about hanging the bike over the back...and not being sarcastic about the blanket, hahaha....

Thule, Yakima and several other companies all make tailgate pads, you can find them on amazon (...but not warehouse deals since I just bought the yakima there!). The prices have come down since I looked last (they were all over $100 a few months ago), maybe an end of season thing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Fork Issue

AS you can see there is about 1in of clearance on one side and only 1/4in o the other. You can also see the wheel is not centered.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boris report....-img_1382.jpg  

Boris report....-img_1383.jpg  

Boris report....-img_1384.jpg  

Boris report....-img_1381.jpg  

AHR
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Since this is a Boris thread, I thought I'd offer my comments.

I have the first generation Boris X9 (with the sliding dropouts). I've been riding singletrack with it this summer. The trails are typically hard-packed dirt or sandy gravel, with an assortment of roots, rocks, stumps and jumps to keep things interesting. I've had pretty good luck with the Mission tires in these conditions. I run 10.5 lbs in the back and 8.5 lbs up front, and I weigh about 185 lbs. I reversed the tread direction up front, which seems to improve cornering (although this could be purely placebo on my part).

The bike is as nimble as my old 26" single-speed hardtail with an 80mm travel fork. On the fat bike, I can clean rock gardens that have stymied me with the 26er, and I haven't noticed any extra effort on the climbs, which tend to be short but brutally steep.

My bike weighed in at just under 36 lbs with platform pedals. I recently eliminated the front derailleur, shifter, and double chainrings in favor of a 32t RaceFace N/W chainring, so I imagine it weighs a bit less now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Amazin1, pull your front wheel off and check the dropouts on the inside where the axle ends rest. Make sure you don't have a glop of dried paint up in there, as that could easily cause your problem. I'd clean out the drops with a very fine file or some sandpaper. If they are clean you could definitely have a bad fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pxpaulx View Post
    Assuming you're talking about hanging the bike over the back...and not being sarcastic about the blanket, hahaha....
    No...I want the details on the one you are using.
    Do you have a link to where I can buy one?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    No...I want the details on the one you are using.
    Do you have a link to where I can buy one?
    I got the Yakima one, here is the link.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I found this tailgate pad....but I think it's a 29er specific pad.
    I wonder if I could still use it with some modifications?

Name:  pads.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  9.2 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Wrong - that's a 29+ summer only pad. The winter pad is puke green.

mtbr member
    Well if this is the official Boris thread I hope the delete the other one I started, anyway I got my bike yesterday put it all together and that went flawlessly. Went on a tiny ride but nothing to bad. Today I did a real ride, 8 miles and can say WOW this thing can climb, right now I have 15psi in the front and rear tire and the paths were pretty dry except for some mud puddles that I normally avoid but felt inclined to drive right through the middle of them on this bike...lol

It takes some used to going from a full suspension bike to a full on rigid bike, my arms are still vibrating. I put new bars,grips and a fender which I found at REI for 15 bucks. Here is a picture after todays ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boris report....-10556217_356527337834788_1123682130609870605_n.jpg  

2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2015 Motobecane Boris X9

Nuts
    Ummmm there is also a Bikes Direct thread.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Ummmm there is also a Bikes Direct thread.
    So we cant have more than one thread for each fat bike?
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2015 Motobecane Boris X9

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    So we cant have more than one thread for each fat bike?
    Yup my internet my rules
    And I love beer!!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast