Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: Boris report....

Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    Are the rim strips with your x5 red or orange? Do you think those big adventure tires are worth anything? Would they be ok for sand or are they really just street tires?
    I use them on light trails that lead to the beach and they are pretty good. I use the Devist8ers for when I'm going to be doing more technical trails with mud and stuff. But I've ridden the adventures there and it really boils down to psi.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    So BD is giving me 100 off for the bent rear wheel. Question is now do I want to try to fix the wheel or buy a replacement. Is there anything good in the $100 range?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Use it as chance to upgrade to a better set, spend a little.

mtbr member
    My black X9 came yesterday. All went together good. No issues with forks, brakes or wheels. Shifts perfect. One cable was routed on wrong side. No biggie. I took off the crappy cable stays and wire tied everything. I put on a better seat post I had laying around and have better grips, pedals coming. My Surly Bud and Nate came today. Boy the lugs on them are waaay bigger. That combo seems to get the best reviews for snow riding. I'll be doing them tubeless. I haven't decided whether to do blue or white rim strips etc. I'll post up pics once it's all updated with the goodies.

mtbr member

Boris report....

Let me know if the bid and Lou actually fit! Thanks for taking the challenge!

Sent from magic wish granting phone

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Quote Originally Posted by leftofedge View Post
    So BD is giving me 100 off for the bent rear wheel. Question is now do I want to try to fix the wheel or buy a replacement. Is there anything good in the $100 range?
    I took the wheel to the lbs and he spent hours and a mallet to make it round. They have terrible flat spots, but he did it. Only charged me 30 bucks

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I love my black X9....just not as much as I did before I saw the silver and white colors!
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Rave reviews on the LG X9 silver after a 3-4 weeks. With the Salsa enabler forks installed, different seat / seat post / stem, and slime in the tubes - it is fairly indestructible. Handled steep Sedona slick-rock like a champ. With a 8 oz. of slime in each tire it is sitting at 35.9 lbs. ( stock tires, continental DH tubes). I just don't trust tubeless with how loose the beads are on this rim - I don't want to be stranded. And my "regular" mtb is tubeless, so I know the benefits.

The stock seat, seat post, stem are on the heavy side, so a lot of weight loss available there. The bars probably are on the heavy side too, but I like them and don't think new bars would be a great bargain for the weight savings. ( I already had a different seat and seat post).

The bb7's have broken in nicely with no squealing, and the shifting is still spot on.

One thing to check - the rear cog rings started to loosed up and I had to tighten up the nut - so check that. Keep in mind if you hear any weird noises. The one thing I did not check previously. Happy trails - Now if lighter wheel sets get reasonably priced!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by yzfvet View Post
    Rave reviews on the LG X9 silver after a 3-4 weeks. With the Salsa enabler forks installed, different seat / seat post / stem, and slime in the tubes - it is fairly indestructible. Handled steep Sedona slick-rock like a champ. With a 8 oz. of slime in each tire it is sitting at 35.9 lbs. ( stock tires, continental DH tubes). I just don't trust tubeless with how loose the beads are on this rim - I don't want to be stranded. And my "regular" mtb is tubeless, so I know the benefits.

The stock seat, seat post, stem are on the heavy side, so a lot of weight loss available there. The bars probably are on the heavy side too, but I like them and don't think new bars would be a great bargain for the weight savings. ( I already had a different seat and seat post).

The bb7's have broken in nicely with no squealing, and the shifting is still spot on.

One thing to check - the rear cog rings started to loosed up and I had to tighten up the nut - so check that. Keep in mind if you hear any weird noises. The one thing I did not check previously. Happy trails - Now if lighter wheel sets get reasonably priced!
    Has anyone else upgraded the fork? Recommendations for fork upgrades?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Did the Bud and Nate fit the X9?

Quote Originally Posted by probezilla View Post
    My black X9 came yesterday. All went together good. No issues with forks, brakes or wheels. Shifts perfect. One cable was routed on wrong side. No biggie. I took off the crappy cable stays and wire tied everything. I put on a better seat post I had laying around and have better grips, pedals coming. My Surly Bud and Nate came today. Boy the lugs on them are waaay bigger. That combo seems to get the best reviews for snow riding. I'll be doing them tubeless. I haven't decided whether to do blue or white rim strips etc. I'll post up pics once it's all updated with the goodies.

mtbr member
    I'm going to be mounting them tubeless, but lbs didn't have stems, so I had to order them. I have a buddy with a 907 with same frame design and 170mm rear. He has a 100mm clown shoe and his Nate fits. I shouldn't have any issue. I might have issue putting Bud on up front with caliper on, but we'll see. I road 11 miles yesterday and Missions did ok, but I road buddies 907 with Bud and Nate combo and it was like night and day.
    13 Trek Superfly AL 100 Elite FS
    15 Boris X9 Fatty
    12 Trek 4300 HT

mtbr member

Boris report....

Looking forward to seeing it!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I can tell you to look for a fork that is set up for non-offset front wheel spacing, not the rear wheel spacing unless you want to do some brake caliper modifications. ( which I had to do) That being said, the enabler fork is awesome - and saved about 2/3 of a lb over the stock set. My dream fork was carbon, but couldn't justify the dough right now.

mtbr member
    I'm going with carbon but will run it for a little while stock. I weighed my 21" this weekend and it was 37.5 lbs. Before Bud/Nate combo. Looks like new tires will be lighter than the Missions, so we'll see. I can loose about 20lbs off me, so going that route first. :-p

Quote Originally Posted by yzfvet View Post
    I can tell you to look for a fork that is set up for non-offset front wheel spacing, not the rear wheel spacing unless you want to do some brake caliper modifications. ( which I had to do) That being said, the enabler fork is awesome - and saved about 2/3 of a lb over the stock set. My dream fork was carbon, but couldn't justify the dough right now.
    15 Boris X9 Fatty
    12 Trek 4300 HT

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quite some time ago Bikes Direct posted a pic with a X9 with a Bluto and said would in November. We are well into October and there is no preorder for that bike yet on their site and when I ask them they say they know nothing about it, WTF? Hopefully they will at least be able to sell Bluto forks for decent price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
    Quite some time ago Bikes Direct posted a pic with a X9 with a Bluto and said would in November. We are well into October and there is no preorder for that bike yet on their site and when I ask them they say they know nothing about it, WTF? Hopefully they will at least be able to sell Bluto forks for decent price.
    The post was on august 19th on facebook - it just said coming soon and an order page will be created as soon as they have all the details.

mtbr member
    No, it said available in November.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Took the Boris to my lbs today and they were able to get most of the dip out of the rim. Fully usable until I want to upgrade. They put on the Devist-8er ULs for me too. Bought a few bottle cages and a set of Evoke RL lock on grips. Got home and switched out the 700 stock bar with a 720 racelite I had in the shed. Oh, and this gunmetal gray is really growing on me. I'm glad I didn't buy gloss black. Next up will be a frame bag, fenders, and I just may go all out and put a rack on the back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It'd be cool if they sold existing customers a bluto at a discount lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    It'd be cool if they sold existing customers a bluto at a discount lol

That would be nice eh?

mtbr member
    I took my X9 out on the trail and didn't make it a lap when a stick jumped up in my rear derailleur and snapped the bracket that holds it on. Know where I can get one?
    15 Boris X9 Fatty
    12 Trek 4300 HT

mtbr member

Boris report....

I took my X9 out on the trail and didn't make it a lap when a stick jumped up in my rear derailleur and snapped the bracket that holds it on. Know where I can get one?
    Contact Bikes Direct. They'll either tell you where to get a replacement or possibly send you a new one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Bd sells them for 20 bucks or so. You could ask them for the number and maybe find one on ebay cheaper. I don't know which one they use, but i should pick up a spare so if you find out which it is let us know lol

mtbr member
    We ordered these x7s for the kids last monday. Very impressed with the packaging and shipping. Bikes went together without a hitch and the paint looks great. These were suppose to be Christmas presents but I couldn't wait to give them over so Christmas in October for the youngens.

Boris report....-20141006_174339.jpg

My 9 year old picked out this duct tape for rim strips. Pretty cool.

Boris report....-20141006_174752.jpg

mtbr member
    Walked into my LBS and they had a Borealis Yampa on the floor, WOW that bike is nice, yeah it was 5 grand but really nice. Anyway I watched this review on the bike and the guy gives his 2 cents on the Spec fatboy, you gotta watch it...
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member

Boris report....

I asked db which derailer hanger the x9 needed and they directed me to
    Their parts page....
    Not the most helpful but heck, not gonna hold it against them

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Question guys. Is the crank square taper for the x7? looking to replace bent crank arm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip21 View Post
    Question guys. Is the crank square taper for the x7? looking to replace bent crank arm.
    No. It's a similar setup to the SRAM GXP. A hollow spindle in which a bolt on the non drive side is threaded and tightened down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcksqrl View Post
    I asked db which derailer hanger the x9 needed and they directed me to
    Their parts page....
    Not the most helpful but heck, not gonna hold it against them

I did the same thing. They sent me URL link to bracket page. I found it and compared it to the one I ordered from Universal Cycles. Looks the same. Mine was in two pieces so a little more difficult to get an exact match. When they show I'll post the part number from UC and from derailleurhanger.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boris report....-20141006_203333.jpg  

Boris report....-20141006_203412.jpg  

15 Boris X9 Fatty
    12 Trek 4300 HT

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Got my Silver X9 today. Put it together at lunch and rode it some after work. Never rod a fat bike before so it was something else. The first thing I noticed was you didn't have to care about where you went anymore, just point and go and the tires eat t up. I notice the chain is very close to the existing tires and you likely never get any wider on the rear. I rode only a few minutes but it seemed to handle well, in fact better than I expected. The tire size didn't seem to slow me down really. I was all set to get a Bluto for it right away but after my wife and I were out yesterday I won't be doing any single track for a couple months. We encountered 3 rattlesnakes and 2 tried to attack so we will stay on paved for awhile. First time I've been on a rigid fork since the 90's but I don't mind it at all. The tires seem to soak it up good at 18 PSI.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    So what kinda crank arm can i get... or am i just screwed lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Don't let the snakes scare you just keep moving lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

So what kinda crank arm can i get... or am i just screwed lol.
    No its not square. Look at the sram gxp, but you'll have to find out the width if you're doing the drive side.

mtbr member
    Got my Silver X9 today. Put it together at lunch and rode it some after work. Never rod a fat bike before so it was something else. The first thing I noticed was you didn't have to care about where you went anymore, just point and go and the tires eat t up. I notice the chain is very close to the existing tires and you likely never get any wider on the rear. I rode only a few minutes but it seemed to handle well, in fact better than I expected. The tire size didn't seem to slow me down really. I was all set to get a Bluto for it right away but after my wife and I were out yesterday I won't be doing any single track for a couple months. We encountered 3 rattlesnakes and 2 tried to attack so we will stay on paved for awhile. First time I've been on a rigid fork since the 90's but I don't mind it at all. The tires seem to soak it up good at 18 PSI.
    Awesome, my Silver X9 I will pick up tomorrow from UPS and come home and assemble along with many goodies I picked up for it...I usually ride a 29er C-Dale Scalpel so very, very excited about going fat and rigid...its got me so hyped for winter riding...I can't wait!

Watch out for them rattle snakes!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Truvativ Left Isis Crank > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA

Is this the type of crank arm I need? ISIS ..... might need a name change

mtbr member

Boris report....

Truvativ Left Isis Crank > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA

Is this the type of crank arm I need? ISIS ..... might need a name change
    The Boris bikes have outboard bearings not sealed cartridge bearings, so a square taper or isis won't work. Something similar to a truvativ gxp. I'm not sure if the threads or grooves are the same though.
    More like this:
    http://www.bikewagon.com/truvativ-st...FVEQ7AodymQAJw

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    While I had the Missions, I varied PSI from 8 to 20. There is a lot of self steer in the 8-11 range, very noticeable on the blacktop. 10 was good on the dirt and loose stuff. I recently switched to Floaters. At 10, there was no self steer on the blacktop. Both setups were tubeless. What part of the trail did you see the snakes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The snakes were just before the bridge at the bottom of the hill and on Chaos trail. Jumped the Boris last night. Yes I now see I need the bluto. How sure are you those parts is all that's needed for adding bluto fork. If that's all it takes I might buy it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The snakes were just before the bridge at the bottom of the hill and on Chaos trail. Jumped the Boris last night. Yes I now see I need the bluto. How sure are you those parts is all that's needed for adding bluto fork. If that's all it takes I might buy it.
    Here is the email I received:
    Thanks for your question. You will need a ZS44 upper assembly and an EC44/40 lower assembly. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 9:40 PM, wrote:

Dear Sirs,

I have a Motobecane Boris X9 fat bike. I want to change the fork to a Rock Shox Bluto which is a tapered fork. My Boris has a straight 1 1/8" fork. The headset is a VP-A42E. Do you have a headset or a bottom external bearing that will allow the tapered Bluto to fit?

Regards,

Customer Service

Cane Creek Cycling Components
    355 Cane Creek Rd., Fletcher, NC 28732

Mon-Thu 8:30-5:30,

Fri 8:30-12:30 Eastern

+1.800.234.2725
    or +1.828.684.3551
    Cane Creek Cycling Components

mtbr member
    Hello,
    I replaced my original crank set with these: Race Face
    I found them in another thread here. I could have used them with my furnished bottom bracket, but they came with a fat bike 100 mm BB.
    I put a bash guard on the outside and went with a 32t race face single ring. I left the granny gear attached as this crank set still has a fixed smaller spider to hold one. I can manually drop the chain to the granny if i need to.
    I paid 90.00 new BB included. I will post the link if i can find it.

additions: PIc is of cheap cranks with the race face bash guard, lol...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boris report....-20140828_203813.jpg  

Last edited by brassos; 10-08-2014 at 04:48 PM. Reason: changes

mtbr member

race face crank

Here is the original thread link: New cranks - Race Face Ride, Turbine or Sram X5?
    and here is where i caught the sale:
    Race Face Ride-FatBike arms/BB only, (100) 175 black, Cranks Without Chainrings

Good luck easy as changing a tire...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boris report....-20140918_115821.jpg  

Last edited by brassos; 10-08-2014 at 04:50 PM. Reason: pics added

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Ok, thanks radnur. I will see how the budget goes, Bluto may have to wait a couple months. Doesn't seem like the bigger tires drag you down that much. I did my regular ride in about the same time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ok, thanks radnur. I will see how the budget goes, Bluto may have to wait a couple months. Doesn't seem like the bigger tires drag you down that much. I did my regular ride in about the same time.
    I'll wait until spring for the bluto.

mtbr member
    My Boris X9 in Silver was received today and overall, solid bike. I assembled it today. Installed a bunch of stuff:
    - Ibera PakRack IB-RA5
    - Easton Haven bars
    - Easton CF seat post
    - C-dale locking grips
    - Shimano Saint platform pedals.

I ordered PDW Front and Rear Mud Shovel fenders, and a Stan's kit to change these VEE missions over to tubeless...I need to do some dialing in of the brakes as front is too much pull and rear just don't stop well. Also need to adjust the rear derailleur because it won't shift above the 5th sprocket...front derailleur is butter.

Overall, love the bike and look forward to getting everything functioning perfectly and doing some local trail riding!

mtbr member
    Doublepost....dolt

mtbr member

Boris report....

Quote Originally Posted by ScalpelOne View Post
    My Boris X9 in Silver was received today and overall, solid bike. I assembled it today. Installed a bunch of stuff:
    - Ibera PakRack IB-RA5
    - Easton Haven bars
    - Easton CF seat post
    - C-dale locking grips
    - Shimano Saint platform pedals.

I ordered PDW Front and Rear Mud Shovel fenders, and a Stan's kit to change these VEE missions over to tubeless...I need to do some dialing in of the brakes as front is too much pull and rear just don't stop well. Also need to adjust the rear derailleur because it won't shift above the 5th sprocket...front derailleur is butter.

Overall, love the bike and look forward to getting everything functioning perfectly and doing some local trail riding!

Check out post #399 in this thread to straighten out your rack and give yourself clearance for a mudshovel. You can get the longer arms at Bikepakmart for $6.99 shipped.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris sky View Post
    Check out post #399 in this thread to straighten out your rack and give yourself clearance for a mudshovel. You can get the longer arms at Bikepakmart for $6.99 shipped.

Awesome, I actually saw your post and ordered them, so I have the longer arms here...plan on installing them when the mudshovel shows up Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

mtbr member

Boris report....

Awesome, I actually saw your post and ordered them, so I have the longer arms here...plan on installing them when the mudshovel shows up Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!
    I never made it clear on the mounting procedure, so here's a pic for any with questions.
    Boris report....-imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1412817781.191652.jpg
    The original hardware is removed and the new arms are reversed with the small hole mounted directly to the rack. The slots are mounted to the frame which still gives you some adjustment in angle. I reused the bolts from the original rack arms with nuts and lock-washers. You'll also need to bend the reflector plate under the rack or remove it to make clearance for the mudshovel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris sky View Post
    I never made it clear on the mounting procedure, so here's a pic for any with questions.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1412817781.191652.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	929867

Man you read my mind...I was gonna send you a PM to post up a close up...haha. AWESOME.

mtbr member

Boris report....

Man you read my mind...I was gonna send you a PM to post up a close up...haha. AWESOME.
    No problem. Hope it helps.

mtbr member
    Dumb question... while I am waiting for my bike to arrive, do I need standard or metric tools? Thanks... Oct 9th... and the month is getting shorter, HURRY UP AND GET HERE DAMN BORIS!!!!

mtbr member

Boris report....

Quote Originally Posted by tequilasunset View Post
    Dumb question... while I am waiting for my bike to arrive, do I need standard or metric tools? Thanks... Oct 9th... and the month is getting shorter, HURRY UP AND GET HERE DAMN BORIS!!!!
    Metric.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Boris report....

Metric

mtbr member
    Yeah, just need a metric set of hex (allen) wrenches and you should be good to go...I have this torque wrench at home I got off of Amazon, works fine. http://www.amazon.com/VENZO-Bicycle-...+torque+wrench

mtbr member
    Yeah, just need a metric set of hex (allen) wrenches and you should be good to go...I have this torque wrench at home I got off of Amazon, works fine. Amazon.com: VENZO Bicycle Bike Torque Wrench Allen Key Tool Socket Set Kit: Sports & Outdoors
    Nice... just ordered one (do you make a commission?) LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tequilasunset View Post
    Nice... just ordered one (do you make a commission?) LOL
    Sure, PM me for my paypal address. hahaha!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Just wondering if anyone could help me out since some of you have already purchased some these upgrades. I'm looking at a Cane Creek suspension seat post and need to know what mm these seat post are and I want some riser handle bars and would like suggestions on that and what size. Thanks

mtbr member
    need to know what mm these seat post and handle bars
    Seat post on the Boris is 31.6mm and the handlebar clamp diameter is 31.8mm

mtbr member
    I got the white rim strips done and mounted Surly Bud and Nate combo. Plenty of room. I am waiting on tape to go tubeless. I like the white and black look. Lugs on the Surly's are huge. The rear derailleur hanger was Hanger #27 from Universal Cycles part 5949-13026.Boris report....-20141010_081118.jpg
    15 Boris X9 Fatty
    12 Trek 4300 HT

mtbr member
    I got the white rim strips done and mounted Surly Bud and Nate combo. Plenty of room. I am waiting on tape to go tubeless. I like the white and black look. Lugs on the Surly's are huge. The rear derailleur hanger was Hanger #27 from Universal Cycles part 5949-13026.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141010_081118.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	930161
    And what is that behind the Boris?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smccloud View Post
    And what is that behind the Boris?
    I dragged race for 12 years or so. That is a 1990 Ford Probe that I made RWD and then put a Toyota Supra 2jz motor in it with a 80mm turbo. It made 1100whp and went 1/4 mile in 8.13@170mph. I think mountain biking has been more dangerous though.
    15 Boris X9 Fatty
    12 Trek 4300 HT

mtbr member
    I dragged race for 12 years or so. That is a 1990 Ford Probe that I made RWD and then put a Toyota Supra 2jz motor in it with a 80mm turbo. It made 1100whp and went 1/4 mile in 8.13@170mph. I think mountain biking has been more dangerous though.
    Lol, probably more expensive

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rex615 View Post
    Seat post on the Boris is 31.6mm and the handlebar clamp diameter is 31.8mm
    Great, thanks. I love look of the creek suspension seat post.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The mods continue. My rear fender, Ibera rack, and headlight came in today (Windfire 1600 CREE XM-L T6 from Amazon). I installed Wellgo MG-1 pedals yesterday but I'm on the fence about putting my SPD pedals on instead. My front PDW should be here tomorrow. Had to do some major adjustments to the rear derailleur today since it was double shifting and binding up on the lowest gear.

Boris report....-20141010_204745.jpg

mtbr member
    Ordered my x5 yesterday! Finally! Been deliberating for months! It won't be "x5" for long though. 😉
    2014 Motobecane Boris (Lefty Max)
    2013 Santa Cruz Heckler
    2007 Jamis Dragon

Boris Fat on Facebook

mtbr member

I think I left one of my lungs on the second hill.

From the pilots seat of the X7

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I want to buy a Bluto so bad but I'm afraid it may sweep the front wheel back in towards the frame a solid inch or two and make the ride and feel strange. I guess I should get off my ass and measure how much change it would be. I also wonder if the fork would ram into the frame? Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    I want to buy a Bluto so bad but I'm afraid it may sweep the front wheel back in towards the frame a solid inch or two and make the ride and feel strange. I guess I should get off my ass and measure how much change it would be. I also wonder if the fork would ram into the frame? Any thoughts?
    Bike needs no bluto, save your cash.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Boris report....

Bud fits no problem up front as we know. Here are some clearance pics.Boris report....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1413072846.690792.jpg
    Boris report....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1413072863.590138.jpg
    Boris report....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1413072877.057237.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    These bikes sure seem like great bang for the buck!!!! Been looking at Farley 6, Pugs, Fatboys...just so damn hard to part away with $1800 and up when you on a budget. Boris X9 looks super clean
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

mtbr member

Boris report....

Quote Originally Posted by fastpunk View Post
    Bud fits no problem up front as we know. Here are some clearance pics.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413072846.690792.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	325.9 KB 
ID:	930472

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413072863.590138.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	290.8 KB 
ID:	930473

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413072877.057237.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	355.5 KB 
ID:	930474
    What's in the rear? That's the big clearance issue I'm wondering about...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcksqrl View Post
    What's in the rear? That's the big clearance issue I'm wondering about...

Looks like the stock missions that came with the bike..
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'll mount the bud up in the rear to see if the chain clears and post pics

mtbr member

Boris report....

Thx! I got some replacement floaters but if bud and Lou will fit I may go look for a set

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Boris report....

It doesn't fit in the rear, it get's stuck between the chain stays. Boris report....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1413085270.213720.jpg

mtbr member

Boris report....

Thanks for taking the extra time to mount it up!

mtbr member
    I'm sure a surly nate will fit just fine in the rear, its listed as a 3.8, so I may put that in the rear and a Bud up front..... so that means I spent 800 for bike and two tires cost 240 BUCKS!!!!!
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah that's how that goes Hahaha.. I got Devist8er uls for 40 a tire. I think they'll be fine. I may get some floaters or something we'll see.

mtbr member
    Where did you find the devist8er ULs for that price, if you don't mind my asking? That's a really good deal! Best I've found so far was at Jensonusa for around $70/ea. I can't imagine a situation where the stock x5 "Big Adventures" are going to get used. So I'd like to have tires ready to go when it arrives. What tubes are you going to run in them?

Btw, for anyone else looking tires, the devist8er ULs that ou2mame mentions above get a good review here:
    Review: Origin8 Devist-8er Ultralight Fat Bike Tire | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

Cheers
    Phil
    2013 Santa Cruz Heckler
    2007 Jamis Dragon

Boris Fat on Facebook

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I got them at the lbs, they were having a sale and they were already on sale so it worked out really well. Otherwise the cheapest I found them was on ebay. They are great on mud and sand, and on tech trails so I think they'll be ok for some snow. I'm prepared to buy better tires for the snow but if these work then that's great.

mtbr member
    Western Bike Works has the Devist8er Ul for $104 shipped for a set.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I don't know who came up with the whole fat tires have 20% greater rolling resistance speech but I don't buy it. I've been doing my regular 9.3 mile loop 5 minutes faster than I ever did on my full suspension small tire Trek. My wife and I just went for ride together, I let her try my Boris and I had a hard time keeping up on her skinny tire bike. These big tire bikes seem to be faster from what I can tell.

mtbr member
    Good to know, Re: Devist8er performance, Western Bike Works, and faster rolling. Thanks to all. Google time...
    2013 Santa Cruz Heckler
    2007 Jamis Dragon

Boris Fat on Facebook

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    I'm sure a surly nate will fit just fine in the rear, its listed as a 3.8, so I may put that in the rear and a Bud up front..... so that means I spent 800 for bike and two tires cost 240 BUCKS!!!!!
    That's what I did. Bud on the front and Nate on the rear. I sold my Missions for $100 to a guy that bought a Walgoose Dolamite.
    15 Boris X9 Fatty
    12 Trek 4300 HT

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    what is the purpose of having the beastly wide tire up front and the more narrow tire on the rear (other than the fact that a Lou wouldn't fit on the back I assume?)

mtbr member

Boris report....

Traction. At least in my mind... If your front washes out your bit going anywhere

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrobo View Post
    what is the purpose of having the beastly wide tire up front and the more narrow tire on the rear (other than the fact that a Lou wouldn't fit on the back I assume?)
    I guess I could see where the wider up front may float better setting up a good track for the rear to follow but if you look at motorcycles they have way wider in the rear instead of front. Overall steering may suck worse with bigger in the front from what I think, but the main reason is setting up a good path for the rear to follow in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrobo View Post
    I've read that those with 170mm rear that the Bud/Nate combo was good for winter. The lugs on the Bud and Nate are huge vs Missions. If something bigger would fit I would've mounted it. My buddy has the 9zero7 frame and he has 100mm Clown shoes with Bud/Nate. He says the Nate rubs on his in lowest gear.
    15 Boris X9 Fatty
    12 Trek 4300 HT

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

I guess I could see where the wider up front may float better setting up a good track for the rear to follow but if you look at motorcycles they have way wider in the rear instead of front. Overall steering may suck worse with bigger in the front from what I think, but the main reason is setting up a good path for the rear to follow in.
    Motorcycles are different because of the speed. On road especially you don't want tire flex because it makes it unstable. On a mtb, we aren't hitting the rpms, so we can have the benefit of a larger front tire. They absorb more impact, roll-over obstacles easier, and float on soft stuff better. They also have more contact to the ground so they stop better and hold the ground in turns. Smaller rear will make the bike turn better too, and generally you don't need the back to go over stuff as easily as the front. At speed though, these things change because of the drawbacks and benefits of speed. With a dirt bike you want skinnier tires with self cleaning knobs for soft stuff. But the harder the ground, the wider the front tire while offroad for the same reasons as a mtb. At least that's how I see it. There's a bit of personal preference there to change things for your riding style.

mtbr member
    I know this might be apple vs oranges but my camber came stock with 2.3 in the front and 2.1 in the rear....yeah its not a huge difference but it works.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    All good points made above.

I know this might be apple vs oranges but my camber came stock with 2.3 in the front and 2.1 in the rear....yeah its not a huge difference but it works.
    I run my heckler the same way. Nice to have something slightly lighter on the back since your "engine" has to spin that puppy.
    2013 Santa Cruz Heckler
    2007 Jamis Dragon

Boris Fat on Facebook

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Has anyone put a bash guard on the stock x5 crankset?

mtbr member
    Would the on one carbon fatty fork fit the boris? On-One Carbon Fatty Fork | On - One
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    so is the consensus that 4.8 front and 3.8 rear is the widest allowable tire? what are the cheapest "floater/snow" tires out there?

On-one tires look decent but are only available in 4", so i'm guessing that would be a no-go for the rear?

mtbr member
    I don't know who came up with the whole fat tires have 20% greater rolling resistance speech but I don't buy it. I've been doing my regular 9.3 mile loop 5 minutes faster than I ever did on my full suspension small tire Trek. My wife and I just went for ride together, I let her try my Boris and I had a hard time keeping up on her skinny tire bike. These big tire bikes seem to be faster from what I can tell.
    Yes, I agree. I ride farther faster since getting my fat bike. I think some people focus on the times when it does feel slower. There are times when it feels faster too. Over the entire ride I feel it's better on average.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The bike comes stock with 4" tires so I assume that anything that is a 4" will fit. It's when you go into the 4.5-5" tires that they don't fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by saliva2002 View Post
    so is the consensus that 4.8 front and 3.8 rear is the widest allowable tire? what are the cheapest "floater/snow" tires out there?

On-one tires look decent but are only available in 4", so i'm guessing that would be a no-go for the rear?
    I put 4.25 front and rear on my X7 with no issues at all.

mtbr member
    Would the on one carbon fatty fork fit the boris? On-One Carbon Fatty Fork | On - One
    You would have to make sure that the fork is set up for a front spaced hub like what's on the Boris. I ordered the Carver O'beast and it is a front spaced fork. It will match the Boris. If your hub is rear spaced then a 5mm spacer or less might be needed. Also, make sure the skewer is correct. Looks like the On-One is a through Axle?
    15 Boris X9 Fatty
    12 Trek 4300 HT

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'm sure there are other pics of a Boris with the PDK fenders but here's a couple more. I put the rear on a couple weeks ago and after one ride in the mud I quickly realized I need the front too. I just put it on tonight and snapped a few pics. I'm a little worried my legs/feet may bump into the front fender in certain situations. It's raining like a mofo here tonight so I should be able to test it out tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    To each his own there. My other bike is a 23 lb rigid with a saguaro 2.2 on the back, and a exiwolf 2.3 on the front. On the same xc hardpack (very flat) trails it is definitely 15% slower per my average strava times. I have no doubt is is faster going downhill - it is like a steamroller.
    The tires have more rolling resistance and weigh a lot more. On techy stuff, it is awesome and no slower, IMO. It really depends on the terrain. My fatty is 56% heavier, but only about 15% slower. But 25% more fun makes up for slower part as long as I am not in a group ride.

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast