Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Re: Boris report....

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris sky View Post
    This may be blasphemy, but Wal-mart now has a child size fat bike or bso (bike shaped object).
    You mean the 20" Mongoose BSO with street tires?

mtbr member
    May 2007

Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    Would someone that has the small 15" frame kindly take a standover height measurement? I'm trying to figure out if this will fit my son in 2nd grade (I know its a stretch, but he's tall and has pretty good bike skills). Since my Lurch arrived, he's talked about nothing else, and it would be awesome to get in snow rides with him.
    Check out the Framed Mini-sota. Its a 13" fat bike with 24" wheels. $600. Might be a better fitting option with similar specs. www.the-house.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Also, here is the Boris geometry for all sizes as the KHS frame is the same.
    http://khsbicycles.com/bikes/2014-kh...4-season-1000/

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eb211 View Post
    Damn... I am afraid now to even try experimenting with buying bigger tires with the fear that it will hit the chain stay in the rear. I never thought about manufactures misleading the true size of their tires. I am thinking now of putting a Vee H-Billie in the rear, and a Vee Snowshoe XL 4.8 in the front. I wonder how corny it will look, but what the heck. I am trying to find online any noticeable difference between the Vee 8, and the Vee H-Billie. It makes me wonder if the H-Billie is the size of below a 4.0, like the way the Vee 4.7 is the same size as a 4.0.
    Here are some pics of the H-BIllie next to the V8 (V8 on right). Keep in mind the V8 is not on a wheel though....

I wiped the tread off on the H-Billie so you can see what it looks like, might not be much wider but waaay more grip.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Why would anyone pay money for a KHS bike that is exactly the same as a X7 or X9 let alone a few minor differences in the components? I could care less about having some name brand stamped to my bike. I am hella happy with the X7. I cannot stop staring at it constantly seeing what other tires I should try to fit on it. The black looks sooo cool on this bike, and I gets tons of compliments at the LBS, wondering how the heck does Bikes Direct make any type of profit after adding up every component on this bike. Anyways, I love the huge tire look, and I have to say that at first, you dream about owning a bike like this with the huge wheels and saying to yourself how cool it would be to own one... then after you finally own one, the tire size grows on you, and then you graduate into wanting bigger tires!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Juicetifer, do find that the overall diameter is the same as the V8, or taller?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Juicetifer, do you find that the diameter of the H-Billie is the same, or bigger in height than the V8?

Quote Originally Posted by juicetifer View Post
    Here are some pics of the H-BIllie next to the V8 (V8 on right). Keep in mind the V8 is not on a wheel though....

I wiped the tread off on the H-Billie so you can see what it looks like, might not be much wider but waaay more grip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Standing up next to each other like this its like two inches taller. But if the V8 was mounted I'm not real sure. I'll try to take a few minutes and mount a V8 on the front wheel and stand it up next to the rear.
    2015 Raleigh Tamland
    2015 Motobecane Boris X7
    2015 Felt Edict

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Damn... I am afraid now to even try experimenting with buying bigger tires with the fear that it will hit the chain stay in the rear. I never thought about manufactures misleading the true size of their tires. I am thinking now of putting a Vee H-Billie in the rear, and a Vee Snowshoe XL 4.8 in the front. I wonder how corny it will look, but what the heck. I am trying to find online any noticeable difference between the Vee 8, and the Vee H-Billie. It makes me wonder if the H-Billie is the size of below a 4.0, like the way the Vee 4.7 is the same size as a 4.0.
    It's not really a chainstay issue.. The issue is hitting the chain itself. People with larger rear tires aren't able to use the granny gear.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It kills me on how you get all these real high end name branders that tell me that I will get a return back on my bike when I want to sell just because it says Cooker, Surly, Salsa, Specialized, or whatever... but then those are the same ones that sit on Ebay, or Craigslist months after months trying to unload their Rolex bike with not one hit, or interest of anyone of the public wanting to spend nowhere near the asking price on what they think they are going to get!!! They are wanting to unload their $2000+ bike when they realize that they are now broke buying that $2000+ bike, and are even afraid to put a scratch on their bike!!! HAHAHA!!! This actually happened to a friend of mine with his 9-ZERO-7.... I bet you I can sell mine in a day or two if need be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It really depends on the market. But people generally don't have realistic expectations of price on the high end bikes. Plus, anyone spending top dollar on high end bikes doesn't care about money they care about warranty. It's like trying to sell a porsche for cash. It's not easy finding someone with 40g's in their pocket to shell out for a used car. The best you can do is trade it in for way less than its worth, so that someone else can finance it. Same goes for these bikes now too. I know people who finance bicycles. That's crazy to pay interest on a bicycle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Paying interest on a bike is absurd just to fit in the groupie click. I find that they all almost ride the same, with minor differences-- but that can be tweaked at minor costs, and still be way under the $1000 mark. I always wonder though how you have these kids that work at bike shops that own 1, to 4 of these Rolex bikes?? Even with a 30% discount, they will still be paying a ton of money. I guess mommy and daddy help them out financially... wish I had parents like that! Anyways, you are right ou2mame about warranty aspects on buying bikes. I used to sell luxury televisions, and we were in constant competition with big box stores, but you had your lay downs on occasions that would not mind dropping 10,000, to $30,000 on the best audio and video equipment. I would always refer to the non buyers as bottom feeders when I worked there, and cursed any bum that was looking for the cheapest television, and then I became aware that I was one just like them out of work looking for the bargains, and thinking they both do the same thing. I guess it is the same when you work at a bike shop

Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    It really depends on the market. But people generally don't have realistic expectations of price on the high end bikes. Plus, anyone spending top dollar on high end bikes doesn't care about money they care about warranty. It's like trying to sell a porsche for cash. It's not easy finding someone with 40g's in their pocket to shell out for a used car. The best you can do is trade it in for way less than its worth, so that someone else can finance it. Same goes for these bikes now too. I know people who finance bicycles. That's crazy to pay interest on a bicycle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Juicetifer, do you find that the diameter of the H-Billie is the same, or bigger in height than the V8?
    Ok the pic doesn't really help but here it is.

The H-B is a little bit wider, I don't have a gauge to measure it but I can see a little difference by eye. And I just used a tape measure to get the over all diameter, the V8 is 28.5 inches and the H-B is 29.

If size is all that matters (that's what she said) then I'd go with another tire. But I'm totally satisfied with the way it performs. (that's also what she said)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Add to the fact that we used to brag about the best warranty in the market, and we doubled the warranty period for free... that would intice shoppers to but $10,000 televisions

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well, not much to write home about on diameter and width, but looks like it has better grip than the V8. I wonder why the Lurch on the Bikes Direct website has the Vee 4.5 Snowshoe, and looks sooo much bigger than the V8 of the X7, but then everyone comments that the 4.5, and the 4.7 is closer to a 4.0?

Ok the pic doesn't really help but here it is.

The H-B is a little bit wider, I don't have a gauge to measure it but I can see a little difference by eye. And I just used a tape measure to get the over all diameter, the V8 is 28.5 inches and the H-B is 29.

If size is all that matters (that's what she said) then I'd go with another tire. But I'm totally satisfied with the way it performs. (that's also what she said)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Name brands and the LBS have their place. Sometimes the paint is better on a frame, the LBS has taken care of any shipping damage or problems, and the buyer doesn't have to know how to set it up. Plus, you get to test ride and find the best fit. That being said, it seems like the name brands are trying to get extra premiums on fat bikes since there isn't a lot to choose from. That is changing fast, and there's a reason BD is selling out fast. My Boris X9 is awesome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yeah... maybe I just got to get the nonsense out of my head about a bigger tire... the tires are big enough as is... Well, maybe just the front... why not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I wish I worked for bikes direct lol.. I've personally gotten about a dozen people I know to buy their bikes. It's tough to compete with the lbs, but... I'm pretty much the lbs, with unlimited tunes and fixes... Yeah, my friends get the benefits totally. They do give me beer though so it all works out and I don't mind working on bikes at all. It really depends though. Some people are better off with a worse bike from an lbs, just because they don't know anything about bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Yeah... maybe I just got to get the nonsense out of my head about a bigger tire... the tires are big enough as is... Well, maybe just the front... why not.
    I did have someone pull up next to me in their car and roll the window down to ask "What do you do with those big ol tires?" today. I guess they look big enough to the average Joe lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah I've had a few people compliment me on the road. They always ask where to get one and where I ride it. Lol I had one guy ask me where I ride it while I was riding it on the beach. I guess the mere sight of it makes their heads spin

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Some people just do not want to get their hands a little dirty, or afraid of braking a nail... that's all. Working on bikes is simple. I was amazed on how simple the Bikes Direct Motobecane was to put together. I took apart the crank just to inspect the bracket and all, and found everything well seated, and lubed. Same thing with the hubs, and everything was spot on. I did it because of reading certain posts where people were saying that these things were not properly lubed, bearings were not properly set, etc, etc... should have just listened to my friend where he told me that everything on these bikes are just right, and people were just over exagerating

I wish I worked for bikes direct lol.. I've personally gotten about a dozen people I know to buy their bikes. It's tough to compete with the lbs, but... I'm pretty much the lbs, with unlimited tunes and fixes... Yeah, my friends get the benefits totally. They do give me beer though so it all works out and I don't mind working on bikes at all. It really depends though. Some people are better off with a worse bike from an lbs, just because they don't know anything about bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Mine shipped with a bad freehub but they sent me a new back wheel do it worked out. But this was my first purchase from them and of course it was me with the problem. The 12 I've put together all came great lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Does the Boris X9 have sealed hubs? I can't tell from the BD spec sheet.

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    I never intend to get value back for my moto x7. Luckily I like fat bikes enough to consider this a spare for friends who want to join, If I were to ever buy an upgrade. Year round riding machines like these make great spares.
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I tell you, it just comes down to the point that after just mingling around with every bike imaginable at all price points and qualities, I just want to ride... and I am highly impressed at the quality of the Motobecane. I was blown away at how nice my X7 was out of the box! I have always wondered about Bikes Direct, and for some reason always took a different direction. Now though, I see extreme potential for these bikes... forget all the nonsense anyone writes about these bikes. These bikes are A+++

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O11 View Post
    Does the Boris X9 have sealed hubs? I can't tell from the BD spec sheet.
    My x5s aren't. Unless they are different hubs I'm going with no.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I do not intend to sell mine either, but I bet you that if I did, I will most definitely get close to what I paid guaranteed. I have sold a ton of bikes, and these look very promising of holding their value. I am still just blown away everytime I look at my X7--- I made a great decision buying this bike. I was looking to buying a Specialized fat, but then something hit me to look at bikes direct, and I just fell in love with the look of the X7

Quote Originally Posted by homeslice View Post
    I never intend to get value back for my moto x7. Luckily I like fat bikes enough to consider this a spare for friends who want to join, If I were to ever buy an upgrade. Year round riding machines like these make great spares.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The X9 should be sealed cartridge bearings. I believe they are the Novatech hubs. You can also look at the MTBR X7 spec reviews-- if the X7 are sealed, the X9 should be sealed too

My x5s aren't. Unless they are different hubs I'm going with no.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Mine are quanta or whatever

mtbr member

My first bike from them is on the way (Gravity 27FIVE G1). Once I get my second insurance check I will order my second one (Gravity Bullseye Monster).

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I do not intend to sell mine either, but I bet you that if I did, I will most definitely get close to what I paid guaranteed. I have sold a ton of bikes, and these look very promising of holding their value. I am still just blown away everytime I look at my X7--- I made a great decision buying this bike. I was looking to buying a Specialized fat, but then something hit me to look at bikes direct, and I just fell in love with the look of the X7
    So how does it perform on the trail? I'm looking to ride mine 3 to 4 days a week on desert terrain
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

mtbr member
    Can anyone tell me the breakdown between the x5 and x7. I see the obvious things like the brakes, derailleurs, tires. I'm pretty sure the frames are the same. I'm mostly curious about the wheels. Are they identical? Different hubs? How about the bottom brackets?

Also curious if anyone knows about the fantom comp in comparison to the x7. Again the obvious differences are the components but what about the wheels? I know the the fantom has a cartridge bearing bottom bracket.

Thanks for any input

mtbr member
    Fat Noob on a Fat Boris x7... I'm new to the Fat Bike game, and haven't biked in ages and need to get my fat sedentary ass in gear(s). So 4 days ago I ordered my Bullseye Monster, due to my not reading the details on the order page, I found out my Monster won't arrive until mid-end of Oct. Soooo... since I had some buyers remorse and liked the Boris, I flipped the switch and ordered the orange x7... same wait time, a few more bucks, but I am pretty stoked. Not sure how I will be able to handle the wait time though... I'm worse than a little kid!

mtbr member

Boris report....

It will be worth it! I had 4 months of waiting for the initial
    Batch of x9's and once I was riding it it was all forgotten!

Sent from magic wish granting phone

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    Can anyone tell me the breakdown between the x5 and x7. I see the obvious things like the brakes, derailleurs, tires. I'm pretty sure the frames are the same. I'm mostly curious about the wheels. Are they identical? Different hubs? How about the bottom brackets?
    I can tell you what my Boris X5 came with, a lot of which was not the quality components described on the spec sheet on bikes direct website when I ordered it (for example tires were not Vee Missions as spec'd, but a much heavier, no tread "Big Adventure" made by Hamo Runtong, China weighing in at 1595 grams each!). Bikes direct has a disclaimer they use the parts spec'd if their available otherwise they use something comparable that is available at the time of order. That said, here are the parts I received on my Boris, and their weights.

Brakes: My X5 Boris came with Tektro Novela (work great once properly bedded in - I've run our hills around the house some 50 runs just to ride the brakes down and bed them ... At first the novellas had NO stopping power. No squeal or sound from them like the bb7s on my old cannondale hardtail.) Don't have a weight on them as their one of the few parts that haven't come off the bike and been replaced.

Derailleurs: came with:
    Front Derailleur SRAM FD-X7 as spec'd; no actual weight as it hasn't been changed.
    Rear Derailleur SRAM RD-X5 as spec' d; actual weight 298 grams (upgraded to X7).
    Shifters SRAM SL-X5 TRIGGER 18-SP As spec'd; no actual weight

Tires: came withBig Adventure 26x4.0 tire by Hamo Runtong, China. Wire bead tire. 1595 grams actual.
    Tubes Innova 20340423 26x4.0 100; 370 grams actual each
    Rim strips; came with double strips. Inner grey rim strip 142 grams; outer red rim strip 56 grams; total 198 grams per wheel.
    Rims. An unmarked generic drilled 26"x32H 80mm rim; according to my LBS these are NOT WEINMANN HL-80 WIDTH 80MM W/BIG HOLES as spec'd. We just picked them up from being trued and they are such low quality cheap rims they can't true out the flat spots and slight oval (my LBS only services Mountain bikes, including Fats ... These guys service the Oregon race pros ... They know fat!)
    Hubs are unmarked generic. They are aluminum and free hub is steel (has magnetic attraction)
    Spokes are 14G STEEL STAINLESS W/BRASS NIPPLE as spec'd.
    Skewers front 135mm 58grams; 170mm 63grams actual. Rear came bent.
    Front wheel weight including rotor 1685 grams actual and rear wheel weight without cassette including rotor 1920 grams actual (novella rotors weigh 130 each).
    Needless to say better quality lighter wheels are my next big upgrade investment!

Bottom bracket: came with LASCO 100x1.37; 105 grams actual.

Hope that answers your question. This is part of a bigger summary we've been compiling on my Boris I plan to post, hopefully this weekend, after the latest round of upgrades go on.

I can't speak to the fantom comp, as my only experience has been with the Boris X5.
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010
    14 Ghost Lanao 7
    14 Moto Boris X5
    13 Santa Cruz Juliana 3.3
    12 Cannondale Synapse
    12 KHS SJ 200

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by GrandmaRedlocks View Post
    I can tell you what my Boris X5 came with, a lot of which was not the quality components described on the spec sheet on bikes direct website when I ordered it (for example tires were not Vee Missions as spec'd, but a much heavier, no tread "Big Adventure" made by Hamo Runtong, China weighing in at 1595 grams each!). Bikes direct has a disclaimer they use the parts spec'd if their available otherwise they use something comparable that is available at the time of order. That said, here are the parts I received on my Boris, and their weights.

Brakes: My X5 Boris came with Tektro Novela (work great once properly bedded in - I've run our hills around the house some 50 runs just to ride the brakes down and bed them ... At first the novellas had NO stopping power. No squeal or sound from them like the bb7s on my old cannondale hardtail.) Don't have a weight on them as their one of the few parts that haven't come off the bike and been replaced.

Front Derailleur SRAM FD-X7 as spec'd; no actual weight as it hasn't been changed.
    Rear Derailleur SRAM RD-X5 as spec' d; actual weight 298 grams (upgraded to X7).
    ShiftersSRAM SL-X5 TRIGGER 18-SP As spec'd; no actual weight

Tires: came withBig Adventure 26x4.0 tire by Hamo Runtong, China. Wire bead tire. 1595 grams actual.
    Rim strips; came with double strips. Inner grey rim strip 142 grams; outer red rim strip 56 grams; total 198 grams per wheel.
    Rims. An unmarked generic drilled 26"x32H 80mm rim; according to my LBS these are NOT WEINMANN HL-80 WIDTH 80MM W/BIG HOLES as spec'd. We just picked them up from being trued and they are such low quality cheap rims they can't true out the flat spots and slight oval (my LBS only services Mountain bikes, including Fats ... These guys service the Oregon race pros ... They know fat!)
    Hubs are unmarked generic. They are aluminum and free hub is steel (has magnetic attraction)
    Front wheel weight including rotor 1685 grams actual and rear wheel weight without cassette including rotor 1920 grams actual (novella rotors weigh 130 each).
    Needless to say better quality lighter wheels are my next big upgrade investment!

Hope that answers your question. This is part of a bigger summary we've been compiling on my Boris I plan to post, hopefully this weekend, after the latest round of upgrades go on.

I can't speak to the fantom comp, as my only experience has been with the Boris X5.
    I think you may have been looking at the X9 specs because the specs you listed sound identical to the X5.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I did a screen print of the X5 spec page the day I bought the bike (the Saturday before Labor Day) ... That is what I have been using for comparison.
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010
    14 Ghost Lanao 7
    14 Moto Boris X5
    12 Cannondale Synapse
    12 KHS SJ 200

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tequilasunset View Post
    Fat Noob on a Fat Boris x7... I'm new to the Fat Bike game, and haven't biked in ages and need to get my fat sedentary ass in gear(s). So 4 days ago I ordered my Bullseye Monster, due to my not reading the details on the order page, I found out my Monster won't arrive until mid-end of Oct. Soooo... since I had some buyers remorse and liked the Boris, I flipped the switch and ordered the orange x7... same wait time, a few more bucks, but I am pretty stoked. Not sure how I will be able to handle the wait time though... I'm worse than a little kid!

Well crap... just got an email that they are OVER-SOLD in the orange and I am SOL. I can accept ocean blue if I want one now. *sigh

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well that sucks. There's a pic of an ocean blue I think in this thread somewhere.. I liked it, it had a retro look to it.

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandmaRedlocks View Post

Shifters SRAM SL-X5 TRIGGER 18-SP As spec'd; no actual weight

Looking at the photo the x5 tires clearly aren't the Missions but the Big Adventures and the brakes are Tektros. The specs do describe such.
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    Well crap... just got an email that they are OVER-SOLD in the orange and I am SOL. I can accept ocean blue if I want one now. *sigh
    I lost out on the orange x7 last month and went with the matte black. Shy of the dent in the fork. It's been an good bike. The lasco Cranks are POS's though with badly designed loosening bolt problems. Beware.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by homeslice View Post
    I lost out on the orange x7 last month and went with the matte black. Shy of the dent in the fork. It's been an good bike. The lasco Cranks are POS's though with badly designed loosening bolt problems. Beware.

Thanks... I just requested the Fantom FB4 in burnt orange, I don't know enough to spot the diff's except I can tell the frame is diff... and taking your word on the lasco crank

mtbr member
    That's what I keep wondering...is the fantom a better deal? I know it has a smaller rear wheel. Otherwise it appears to have better cranks and brakes. The x7 obviously has a better derailleur but personally I prefer shimano stuff

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Get the ocean blue and RIDE!

mtbr member
    Some cosmetics applied to my x9 Stem cap, says HULK SMASH!!1! if you can't read it. Not shown are green Deity Compound pedals, which are amazing.
    Boris report....-hulk-smash.jpg

mtbr member
    best stem cap ever

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Trauma05 View Post
    Some cosmetics applied to my x9 Stem cap, says HULK SMASH!!1! if you can't read it. Not shown are green Deity Compound pedals, which are amazing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hulk Smash.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	926992
    Are those the ODI Rogue Grips? How do they feel on the fat tire bike combined with tire cushioning?

mtbr member
    I dont know about on a fatbike but i can tell you that on my hard tail 29 those grips are amazing. They've actually gotten better as they've worn a bit.

mtbr member
    Way better than the skinny grips I had on. I had a pair of odi vans on there also, hands down odi rouges work to kill vibrations.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My Boris X5 component weights ...
    Awhile back someone asked for the component weights on Boris ... We've upgraded everything on my X5 we're going to, until I save enough for a lighter wheelset and and fork upgrade ... Here are the actual weights of the parts we replaced (if it's not listed, we haven't taken it off the bike yet and weighed it - like frame, fork and front derailer)

Boris X5
    Actual start weight was 36.75 lbs

Crankset: LASCO GOX 22/36T ALLOY BKx175MM ALLOY BLACK CRANK W/O CHAIN COVER;
    813 grams

Bottom Bracket: LASCO 100x1.37; 105 grams

Pedals: VP-530 ALLOY BLACK W/CPSC REFLECTOR;
    202 grams

Rear Derailleur : SRAM RD-X5 BLACK CAGE W/O BRACKET;
    298 grams

Cassette/Freewheel : SRAM PG-950 11-34T-9;
    444 grams

Skewers: 135mm, 58grams
    170mm, 63grams

Front wheel including rotor
    1685 grams

Rear wheel without cassette, including rotor
    1920 grams

Novella rotor: 130 grams

Tires: Big Adventure 26x4.0 tire by Hamo Runtong, China. Wire bead.
    1595 grams

Tubes: Innova 20340423 26x4.0 100;
    370 grams

Rim strips; double rim strips; Inner grey rim strip 142 grams; outer red rim strip 56 grams;
    198 grams per wheel

Handlebar: KALLOY W:700MM x9
    DEGREES, ALLOY BLACK; HB-FB21L
    263 grams

Stem: KALLOY AS-007 EXT:80MM x7 DEGREES, ALLOY BLACK
    140 grams

Grip: 130mm, WTB, ALL BLACK, SUPER LIGHT FOAM;
    38 grams each

Saddle: WTB SPEED V SPORT SE 380 grams

Seat Post : Alloy 350MM, ALLOY
    BLACK aluminum
    380 grams

Seat Post Clamp: 34.9 ALLOY, Q/R 48 grams
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010
    14 Ghost Lanao 7
    14 Moto Boris X5
    12 Cannondale Synapse
    12 KHS SJ 200

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Nothing in that list really screams heavy.. So where do you guys think the most lbs cab be shed?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Nothing cheap unfortunately, wheels will be the biggest weight savings I'm sure. And if you're good with the rigid fork I bet you can save 2-3 lbs with a carbon fork. That will be on my upgrade list before too long. And I knocked a little over 2 pounds off by changing the tubes and tires. But that cost me a pretty penny too.
    2015 Raleigh Tamland
    2015 Motobecane Boris X7
    2015 Felt Edict

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah I bought the Devist8ers not for weight but cause I got a great deal on them. They definitely aren't the lightest tires ever

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My Boris X5 upgrade weight loss so far ...
    Here is where I've lost (and in a couple places gained) weight with the upgrades;

+8 grams w/ X5 crankset w/ 170mm crank arms
    +13 grams w/ X5 bottom bracket
    -52 grams w/ X7 rear derailer
    -64 grams w/ Deity compound pedals
    -24 grams Deity seat clamp
    -129 grams WTB Volt saddle
    -113 grams Raceface Chester seatpost
    -550 grams Origin8 Devist8-er 2 UL 120 tpi tires
    -370 grams Schwalbe 13f tubes
    -224 Surly rim strips
    -20 Raceface turbine 60mm stem
    +83 Raceface handlebar 720mm
    _____
    -1525 grams so far ... 3.36 pounds

The wheelset I'm currently saving for is a Marge lite with Hope hubs and keeping the Devist8-ers. With that pair I'll save an estimated 1285 grams.
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010
    14 Ghost Lanao 7
    14 Moto Boris X5
    12 Cannondale Synapse
    12 KHS SJ 200

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Ocean blue boris x7

Bikes Direct posted my x7 off here to their website if you want to see it. I didn't want that color either but I Plastidipped the fork matte black, now I like it. The bike is so awesome I would ride it if it was pink! Get a bike to ride you won't regret it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I would have to say that tubes, wheels, and tires are not only the biggest weight savings you can do to any bike, but the most important upgrades period aside from better shifters. The X5, X7, and X0 derailleurs operate basically the same... not much of a difference, but the shifters are hands down a noticeable difference as far as performance. Lets face the facts... if the bike now weighs over 30 pounds, unless you are going to get the bike down to 27 pounds, then you are just really wasting your money... and the only way I see that happening is by replacing the frame all together, or buying a new bike. I choose performance over saving 1 to 3 pounds of weight.. A better shifter makes a huge difference along with lighter wheels and tires for less rotating mass. Also, the weight on these bikes are not bad... if you compare the weight to the dead weight of any Mongoose fat bike, it is a night to day difference!!! Another way to look at this situation and ask yourself this question... Am I going to be racing, and trying to beat a certain time that you are trying to get to from point A to point B??? I highly doubt it. Most people have this unconscious root thought in their minds about someone else lifting up the bike, and commenting how heavy their bike is, but keep in mind that if you lift up a real high end, expensive downhill bike, it weighs a ton!!!! The downhill rider may not think so, and in the back of his mind, he knows he has something better than your ride gauging by how much he paid for that heavy sucker. You have big wheels, so you need a tough frame, and that is what you are going to get... Weight. Enjoy your ride, but don't obsess over dead weight, focus on better performance

mtbr member
    Welp... just got an email that they made a mistake and I will still get my Boris burnt orange mid-end of Oct after all... Happy but still have to wait
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boris report....-download.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hey guys -- been lurking around the forums for a few weeks and could use some advice on sizing for the Boris.

I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. Would you say I'm better suited on a 17" or a 19" frame? My biggest fear here is ordering the 17" and it feeling too cramped.

Anyone have any insight for me? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aClockworkJake View Post
    Hey guys -- been lurking around the forums for a few weeks and could use some advice on sizing for the Boris.

I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. Would you say I'm better suited on a 17" or a 19" frame? My biggest fear here is ordering the 17" and it feeling too cramped.

Anyone have any insight for me? Thanks in advance.
    I am the same size as you and went with the 19". I had a hard time deciding as I too am in between sizes. I think the large fits me just fine, but I will probably put on a shorter stem. It comes with a 90mm stem, and I'll put on a 60mm to make it about perfect. I'd rather put on a shorter stem than try to stretch it out with a longer stem - I think steering on a fat bike with a long stem would get too sluggish. If your *worst* fear is being too cramped, get the 19" for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Make sure to look at the geo chart and compare it to a bike that does fit you. These frames are all pretty long.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I was quite surprised how long this bike is. I got a 19" and put some hydraulic brakes that came off a 19" 29er on it. The rear line was just barely long enough to fit.
    2015 Raleigh Tamland
    2015 Motobecane Boris X7
    2015 Felt Edict

mtbr member
    I was quite surprised how long this bike is. I got a 19" and put some hydraulic brakes that came off a 19" 29er on it. The rear line was just barely long enough to fit.
    When I place it theBoris X7 along side the Lurch, the difference is very noticeable. The Boris the wheelbase is longer by at least 3". Both the top tube and the chainstays are longer too. The Boris is a 21" and the Lurch is a 22".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rwkobs View Post
    I am the same size as you and went with the 19". I had a hard time deciding as I too am in between sizes. I think the large fits me just fine, but I will probably put on a shorter stem. It comes with a 90mm stem, and I'll put on a 60mm to make it about perfect. I'd rather put on a shorter stem than try to stretch it out with a longer stem - I think steering on a fat bike with a long stem would get too sluggish. If your *worst* fear is being too cramped, get the 19" for sure.
    Well that definitely helps. I had the same thought on stem length to bring it in a bit.

mtbr member
    When you guys are talking about inseam are you using accurate measurement or just giving pants size? I'm 5'8 and the ideal pants size for me would be a 29inch inseam (i usually end up in 30's b/c 29 is uncommon)

I ride a 15.5 inch trek marlin and its a little small for me so I wouldn't mind getting a bigger bike. The effective top tube on the trek is 22.4 and the boris in a 15.5 is 23inch. 17inch shoots up to 23.7. Really not sure if a 1.3inch longer bike is too much or not. I have an 80mm stem on my trek and I think in a fat bike I'd want a much shorter stem. If I did a 40mm stem on a boris in a 17inch im guessing that would help. Even the 17inch boris has a lower stand over clearance then my 15.5 marlin.

mtbr member
    When you guys are talking about inseam are you using accurate measurement or just giving pants size? I'm 5'8 and the ideal pants size for me would be a 29inch inseam (i usually end up in 30's b/c 29 is uncommon).
    I'm 5'11 and seem to have a longer torso. I usually wear 30's in straight-fit jeans. I would guess because jeans fit a little lower my actual inseam would be about two inches higher at around 32 inches?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm 5'11 and seem to have a longer torso. I usually wear 30's in straight-fit jeans. I would guess because jeans fit a little lower my actual inseam would be about two inches higher at around 32 inches?
    My inseam is 32" and I am 5'11". Inseam is measured from the highest point of your crotch to the floor while barefoot. In other words, wedge a folder up between your legs and measure from the edge of the folder to the floor. You can't use pants measurements, since they aren't very accurate and everyone wears pants differently. If your inseam is actually 30", standover might be an issue on the 19" Boris.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Some new Fat Bike Porn... Spider seat aka The Brown Recluse and a Large frame bag off Amazon. Not the best quality bag buy it eliminates the backpack.And a waterbottle on the forks.
    That I painted 9zero7 style!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boris report....-uploadfromtaptalk1412030556537.jpg  

Last edited by Chop1869; 09-29-2014 at 05:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am 5' 8" with an inseam of 31" measured barefoot, standing against a wall method. My 17m fits me prefect.

mtbr member
    5'9" 30" inseam with a 17m X9, fits me well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm 5'8 and about a 30" and I have a 17" Boris and it fits fine. I have a 40mm stem but could go to a 60mm without a problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Go to competitivecyclist.com/fitcalculator will help get you set up on seat height, reach,pedal crank length etc.. make sure you pick mt bike not road bike

mtbr member
    I ordered a black 21" X9 on Friday and today got the tracking. It'll be here Thursday! I think I will have to upgrade to Bud/Nate for the snow. Missions just get terrible reviews for snow. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm waiting to see if any new studded tires come out when winter hits before I buy snow tires but the Devist8ers work great in mud and sand so they might be ok with the snow. And they're thicker than other tires so I feel like that'll help going lower on pressure without smacking the rims around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I finally received my all season tyres. All I need is time.....

Boris report....-floater.jpg

mtbr member
    I'm really debating a pair of 120tpi nates or a BFL and a nate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radnur22 View Post
    I finally received my all season tyres. All I need is time.....

Name:	floater.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	927922
    Floaters look so business like in black.
    I have to try a pair soon.

mtbr member

Boris report....

If they are back in stock in usa

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcksqrl View Post
    If they are back in stock in usa
    OK, good point, maybe not so soon then

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rex615 View Post
    OK, good point, maybe not so soon then
    I ordered mine from the UK $137 shipped for both.

mtbr member

Boris report....

Damn, when I ran it shipping was like 60.....
    Guess I better recheck

mtbr member

The Devist8ers have met their match. They did really well considering. Actually I'm not so certain a set of Super Swamper tires wouldn't slip out here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I just purchased a silver X9 in 17in. I'll post pics when it shows up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcksqrl View Post
    Damn, when I ran it shipping was like 60.....
    Guess I better recheck

Tires were $40 each. Too bad they aren't that price in the states.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radnur22 View Post
    I ordered mine from the UK $137 shipped for both.
    Boris report....-snowshoe.jpg

I just realized how similar the thread pattern of my Snowshoes is to the Floater. Smaller lugs and a more open. I guess it shouldn't be surprising since they are both made by the same company.

mtbr member
    Just ordered my X9 today in Silver...to say I am excited is an understatement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Received my X5 today. I was hesitant about the silver as I thought it looked too light on the site. It's actually gun metal and it looks great. My front fork was bent. I was able to sort of straighten it but I submitted a claim and hopefully they will send me a new one. Left shifter was routed wrong as many others have posted but that was an easy fix. Rear wheel is out of true so I'll get that fixed at my lbs tomorrow.

I have Devist-8er UL tires on order. Going to stay tubed with sealant in them until I can get lighter rims to go tubeless.

My bike matches my truck now! Haha.

Last edited by leftofedge; 10-01-2014 at 09:07 PM.

mtbr member
    great color..definitely looks better than the site pictures

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by brassos View Post
    great color..definitely looks better than the site pictures
    Much better! I had planned on stripping everything off and repainting it because I didn't like how light the silver was on the site. I will happily kick it with the gun metal grey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah that looks pretty good.. Their site colors don't look very much like they do in real life

mtbr member
    That gun metal looks great!

I see you are from NJ. Want to put a beach ride together?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by OddTrickStar View Post
    That gun metal looks great!

I see you are from NJ. Want to put a beach ride together?
    Sure! Let me get these issues sorted out and I'll be good to go.

mtbr member
    Are the rim strips with your x5 red or orange? Do you think those big adventure tires are worth anything? Would they be ok for sand or are they really just street tires?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leftofedge View Post
    Sure! Let me get these issues sorted out and I'll be good to go.
    Cool, PM sent.

I took some pics yesterday.
    Boris report....-dscn0498-copy.jpgBoris report....-dscn0463-copy.jpgBoris report....-dscn0487-copy.jpg

These mission tires are fantastic for sand. They are not so good on slick mud though. Mine are set up split tube with two wraps of sill plate foam over duck tape rim strip and 5oz of Stan's per tire. It makes a very noticeable improvement of ride quality and resistance. The only loss is weight.

I've been riding this bike daily for 5 weeks now. My smilin' muscles are doing real good. Riding the sandy forest within riding distance of my driveway is all but effortless on a fat bike. There is no way I'll be able stop myself at one fat bike.

mtbr member
    Is that Wharton st park?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    the strips are red. I've already ordered replacement tires as there's hardly any tread on these. also it looks like both of my wheels are out of round with the back being worse than the front. I'm hoping bikesdirect comes through with the replacement for both. Instead of replacing the fork it's something I can fix and they're going to knock off price on the bike. Although if the fork fails during trying to unbend it will replace a new one.

mtbr member
    Is that Wharton st park?
    Yes, Wharton it is. Near Medford Atco area.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by OddTrickStar View Post
    Cool, PM sent.

I took some pics yesterday.

Name:	DSCN0498 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	245.8 KB 
ID:	928294Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0463 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	928295Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0487 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	254.0 KB 
ID:	928296

These mission tires are fantastic for sand. They are not so good on slick mud though. Mine are set up split tube with two wraps of sill plate foam over duck tape rim strip and 5oz of Stan's per tire. It makes a very noticeable improvement of ride quality and resistance. The only loss is weight.

I've been riding this bike daily for 5 weeks now. My smilin' muscles are doing real good. Riding the sandy forest within riding distance of my driveway is all but effortless on a fat bike. There is no way I'll be able stop myself at one fat bike.
    I can already see buying either a bluto fatty or the misses one real soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris sky View Post
    The Devist8ers have met their match. They did really well considering. Actually I'm not so certain a set of Super Swamper tires wouldn't slip out here.

That rear rack looks awesome! I have my Boris X7 ordered, and I really want to throw a rear rack on it. What brand/model is that? Any troubles mounting it?

How are those tires for every day riding? I'll be on a lot of snowy roads.

mtbr member

Boris report....

Quote Originally Posted by val421 View Post
    That rear rack looks awesome! I have my Boris X7 ordered, and I really want to throw a rear rack on it. What brand/model is that? Any troubles mounting it?

How are those tires for every day riding? I'll be on a lot of snowy roads.
    It is an Ibera IB-RA5 rack with IB-RA15 extended arms to fit my 17" bike frame and give the clearance I needed for a fender. My mudshovel fits perfectly under it with plenty of room. I reversed the arms and bent them around to meet the frame. It was really easy.

The tires Origin8 Devist8er UL. They roll really well on the road and the trail. I'm running them at around 9.5lbs right now. I've had them lower with little to no self steer. I have no idea about snow, but have heard good things.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just ordered a Surly Bud today for the front. Hope it fits!

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast