Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334
Results 3,301 to 3,394 of 3394
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by joebikesdirect View Post
    Sidewalls could be an issue if she is riding aggressively in rocky areas- is she?

No complaints on the Hydraulic brakes either and they stop and modulate and hold adjustments better than cable/mechanical. The lower standover is also a plus for ladies.

Every customer who's gotten their Natasha womens fatbikes has loved them and say these look amazing in person with the color matched wheels.
    Thanks for the responses.
    I'm not concerned about sidewalls with the riding she would be doing. She would actually be using this primarily for bikejoring - so tame singletrack, wide grass or sandy trails, and some snow riding (for snow I have more aggressive tires I could loan her if need be). Good brakes and a good rear derailleur that keeps the chain on are important to her. Weight is also a consideration.
    So the frame is actually different than the Boris? Lower standover, any other differences in geometry?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Got a 120mm bluto and a new front wheel comming for my boris. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Little teaser....

Will post pictures when it's installed.

mtbr member

Bluto is on, total weight 35lbs
    Last edited by traditiionalist; 11-08-2016 at 04:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by traditiionalist View Post

Bluto is on, total weight 35lbs
    Did you need a special head set to mount the bluto? Your bike is sweet looking with those forks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjoguy View Post
    Did you need a special head set to mount the bluto? Your bike is sweet looking with those forks!
    Yep, a cane creek ec44/40 bottom cup. Still have to change the rim strip in the front back to red.

mtbr member
    please let us know the riding characteristics of raising the head tube

mtbr member
    May 2014
    What did you end up doing for the front wheel? I have my bluto showing up today, haven't figure what I'm going to do yet for the wheel, though ultimately I want to set up front and rear with mulefuts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckster View Post
    What did you end up doing for the front wheel? I have my bluto showing up today, haven't figure what I'm going to do yet for the wheel, though ultimately I want to set up front and rear with mulefuts.
    Got a weinmann rim laced to a 150mm novatech hub, with a 120tpi 4.5 inch snowshoe and tube for $75 off pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    please let us know the riding characteristics of raising the head tube
    With sag, the front end doesn't feel any higher than the carbon fork I had on it before. It's taller than the stock steel fork though.

mtbr member
    First ride with the bluto. It definitely transformed the bike.

mtbr member
    Another ride with the bluto. It just keeps getting better and better. Excuse the long brake cables.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    JUST got mine together yesterday. 100mm bluto, mulefut front (mulefut was 1310g, stock front 1590, stock fork 1500, bluto 1790) Went with q-tube up front as well over the stock tube. Feels pretty good as it sits, though I'm pretty certain I want another bottomless token to keep from bottoming out. Proper pressure is close, but still bottoms.

mtbr member
    JUST got mine together yesterday. 100mm bluto, mulefut front (mulefut was 1310g, stock front 1590, stock fork 1500, bluto 1790) Went with q-tube up front as well over the stock tube. Feels pretty good as it sits, though I'm pretty certain I want another bottomless token to keep from bottoming out. Proper pressure is close, but still bottoms.
    I bottom out my 120mm pretty easily, but the drops and jumps make it happen often. I'm going to put in a bottomless token or two soon.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Any of you find a viable option for a 30.4 seat post? I'm really not looking to shim. I hadn't realized there were so few posts available in this size.

mtbr member
    Any of you find a viable option for a 30.4 seat post? I'm really not looking to shim. I hadn't realized there were so few posts available in this size.
    Got a gravity dropper with a shim on mine.

Sent from my iPad

mtbr member
    I'm running a problem solvers shim down to 27.2 with no issue.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'm a pretty big guy, 235. I'm not all too keen on running shims as I'd rather as much insertion length as possible, especially for how hard I am on the bike. Maybe possible to shave down a 30.9 a bit?

mtbr member
    I'm a pretty big guy, 235. I'm not all too keen on running shims as I'd rather as much insertion length as possible, especially for how hard I am on the bike. Maybe possible to shave down a 30.9 a bit?
    Not safely, no. A shim thats longer than 4" should be fine.

Sent from my iPad

mtbr member
    May 2014
    What size does that shim down to?

mtbr member
    this is what i have. At 235 I would much rather trust this than shaving a post. it feels just as solid to me as any other seatpost set up I've had.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Problem-Sol...-Shim-Fits-272

mtbr member
    this is what i have. At 235 I would much rather trust this than shaving a post. it feels just as solid to me as any other seatpost set up I've had.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Problem-Sol...-Shim-Fits-272
    That's the same shim I use for my gravity dropper.

Pretty soon I'm going to swap my 1x9 drive train to a 1x10, or maybe a 1x11. Swap my x5 stuff out for probably a sram xo drivetrain, but I might give Shimano a try.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Ive used that shim before. I never had a problem using it, though I seem to remember there was a bit more noise from the seat post. Could just be me. Either way, I'm hoping to upgrade to a bucksaw frame at some point, so swapping the seat post could be a mute point.

The bluto completely changes the bike. I do indeed need another bottomless token to get pressure and progressiveness perfected. It works in a way that you don't really notice that it's doing anything, but it takes all the sharpness out of the front. You still have to work the front of the bike, but it rounds off all the edges. 100% best thing I could have done to the bike.

mtbr member
    that 30.4 seatpost is one of the reasons I haven't gotten a boris with a bluto. That's not a common enough size and would require going down to 27.2mm dropper seatpost. I've run a 4" long shim under my 240 lbs without problem. I would avoid those cheap $10 3" shims off ebay though. cheap metal, and not long enough. My shim is a cane creek. works well.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    May 2014
    We'll see what happens. I really don't plan on keeping everything on this frame for too long. Perhaps just build it back up as a spare for friends.

mtbr member
    Just got my hoboy fork, thing feels so light it's hard to believe it's not fragile.

RAKC
    Did yours come with an axle or did you get qr version. I sitting here with a brand new hobby I can't use cause they didn't send an axle (I got thru axle version) and won't reply to my emails about it

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    bwahaha. Yes. I got a qr version and it had a thru axle in it. pm me and I'll send it to you. bwahaha

mtbr member
    I'll give the Sarma order details for future reference. I ordered a 465mm straight steer 135qr hoboy on November 15th. I had emailed with them a few times before purchasing but it took them a while to respond to those emails. After I placed the order I got a confirmation from pay pal but not Sarma. I emailed them a few days after I ordered to check and 4 days later they send me a tracking link.

The box came from China in good condition and well packaged. The first thing I noticed when I opened it was a handwritten sticker that said 465QR. The second thing I noticed was a 15x150 thru axle sitting in the box. I immediately assumed I got the wrong fork. Opened it up...nope, qr. I confirmed this morning that I got what I ordered (465, straight, 135 qr) a compression plug branded necco, and the thru axle branded Sarma. Fork weighed 570 grams on my scale.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    First ride with the carbon fork installed, and I'll say it's a huge improvement...

Chinese ebay fork, tapered, gloss black, QR axle, 483 A/C measurement.

A few thoughts:
    - Fork blades wouldn't fit over the axles, needed to file the gap wider
    - Headset race was too tight of a fit, had to wet-sand for easier installation
    - Lower cup had to be filed down roughly 4 to 5mm to fit into head tube
    - Needed to swap down to a 160mm brake rotor for a proper fit
    - Fork is crazy stiff, and seemingly well made less the slight fit issues
    - Braking is a great deal more responsive. 160mm rotor is a welcome change
    - I flopped the stem (down) to account for the raise in height
    - Increased 'trail' has changed the steering, but not necessarily a bad thing
    - Out of the saddle peddling is a good deal more responsive, less flex
    - Shaved a solid two pounds off the complete bike weight (30.3 lbs. total)
    - Overall, the bike felt more agile - higher 'fun factor' - light front end

For a modest $180 in parts, time, filing, and installation - it was a very welcomed upgrade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudquest View Post
    First ride with the carbon fork installed, and I'll say it's a huge improvement...

Chinese ebay fork, tapered, gloss black, QR axle, 483 A/C measurement.

A few thoughts:
    - Fork blades wouldn't fit over the axles, needed to file the gap wider
    - Headset race was too tight of a fit, had to wet-sand for easier installation
    - Lower cup had to be filed down roughly 4 to 5mm to fit into head tube
    - Needed to swap down to a 160mm brake rotor for a proper fit
    - Fork is crazy stiff, and seemingly well made less the slight fit issues
    - Braking is a great deal more responsive. 160mm rotor is a welcome change
    - I flopped the stem (down) to account for the raise in height
    - Increased 'trail' has changed the steering, but not necessarily a bad thing
    - Out of the saddle peddling is a good deal more responsive, less flex
    - Shaved a solid two pounds off the complete bike weight (30.3 lbs. total)
    - Overall, the bike felt more agile - higher 'fun factor' - light front end

For a modest $180 in parts, time, filing, and installation - it was a very welcomed upgrade.
    My Chinese carbon fork served me well, it handled quite a few jumps and drops. I finally upgraded to a bluto. I also had to file the dropouts to fit my axle, and had to file the cane creek headset lower cup down due to the ridge in the headtube. I had no issues getting the crown race on, but I wet sanded the whole steerer with 600 grit sandpaper. I might put the carbon fork back on for the winter. I haven't decided yet.

After with the bluto

Definitely the most fun with a bike I've had in a long time. Next item on the checklist are a set of Chinese carbon rims.

Weight with carbon fork and the following upgrades.... 32lbs
    Gravity dropper
    1x chainring
    Vice vp pedals
    Surly nates
    760 mm Kona xc bc bar and 60mm kona stem
    Odi rogue grips
    Clarks hydraulic brakes
    Cane creek lower headset
    (Have a xo rear derailleur and shifter waiting to go one)

Weight with bluto and the upgrades listed above.... 35 lbs.

I have q tubes to replace the stock tubes which weighed 513 grams.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    So I got a new wheelset for my Boris and went tubeless and since there's some snow in the forecast I figured I'd get out and try them out. I started having some shifting issues and then saw my rear wheel wobbling and then I figured out the issue. It took a lil ingenuity to make it home. Now let's see how bd is with the warranty. Anyone else break a frame in this area?

mtbr member
    First generation? Yes mine broke in the same place. Warrantee without problem, cost me shipping and time. I was the second one that they had documented. Ended up with second gen bright green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yes it is a first generation with the sliding dropouts. Glad I'm not the only one who had a brake in that spot. Is your replacement the same frame with the sliders and normal size seat post? I emailed them so hopefully I'll hear back in the next day or two.

mtbr member
    Non slider, odd ball seat post size. Smaller... Had to get new dropper and use shim.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I don't like hearing that. The sliding dropouts were the main reason I bought the bike. I guess we shall see what happens.

mtbr member
    Yup, no longer available, couldn't replace with different model when I warranted mine. Were very easy to work with, no complaints.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The KHS 4season has sliding dropouts, or at least did for a time. This is a bonus in that you can slide the hub back to clear larger tires (like popular 4.8's). If you aren't already doing that then I wouldn't get too caught up in that. If you are, then one option would be to sell the warranty replacement and find a used 4season. My guess is they give you a full frame, but you only need a rear tri to get that one back on the trails. Find a KHS dealer and see if they can order you one.

Nice job with the stick BTW. When my friend's skinny bike broke like that we used a Park tire lever on both sides and did a similar patch job to roll it out. LBS ordered him a new rear tri and it was replaced under warranty, so thta sort of thing isn't that out of the ordinary. Option B to keep the rear sliders would be to seek out a local welder, preferably a bike builder.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm not concerned about the ability to run bigger tires in the rear but the sliders do allow me to run it single speed during the summer months and that does matter to me and was the reason i purchased the bike. I just emailed some more pics, i'll wait and see how I make out and how its handled before I say anything further...

mtbr member
    Out and about today on the boris, bluto and mineral oil brakes performed suprisingly well in the snow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

22" x9

Hi everyone,

Looking to buy myself a Christmas gift, leaning towards either Boris FS X9 or Lurch FS.

I'm 6-1, 34" inseam, about 25" torso and arms.

Looks like the X9 is only available in 21" now...from the sizing guidelines this looks like it would be too large to take a chance on. Is that right or have others made this work?

The Lurch FS is available in 18" and 22" in the color I want (gray), but I could live with the blue in 20" which seems the safest choice based on BD's guidelines.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help/advice,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotefred View Post
    Hi everyone,

Looking to buy myself a Christmas gift, leaning towards either Boris FS X9 or Lurch FS.

Looks like the X9 is only available in 21" now...from the sizing guidelines this looks like it would be too large to take a chance on. Is that right or have others made this work?

The Lurch FS is available in 18" and 22" in the color I want (gray), but I could live with the blue in 20" which seems the safest choice based on BD's guidelines.

Any thoughts?

Honestly, get the lurch. It has better components, and a better wheels, which is a big deal because fat bike rims can get up there in weight. The lurch also has the ability to clear a much bigger tire in the rear, and has a wider rear end. With the industry moving almost completely away from 170 rears on a fat bike this is omportant, as it almost future proofs the bike.

I do love my boris though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Hey thanks for your advice. I'm leaning towards the Lurch at this point. It's a little more than I'd prefer to spend just getting into fat biking, but I've read more than a few posts here from folks who bought less-expensive BD Moto models and then wished they had spent a little more to get a little more. And you make a great point about the rear tire I wasn't aware of.

Only question now is the Lurch sizing. The color I'd prefer is only available in 18"/med and 22"/XL. The BD guidelines for the 18"/med (5-9 to 6-0) put me just outside for height (I'm a little under 6-1), but the standover and TT specs are pretty close to hybrid bikes that have fit me well in the past. Since I don't plan on riding too aggressively and would actually prefer a more upright ride due to some low back issues, would the 18"/med work? Or should I stick to the BD guidelines and go with the 20"/large size in another color?

Thanks again for the help!

Honestly, get the lurch. It has better components, and a better wheels, which is a big deal because fat bike rims can get up there in weight. The lurch also has the ability to clear a much bigger tire in the rear, and has a wider rear end. With the industry moving almost completely away from 170 rears on a fat bike this is omportant, as it almost future proofs the bike.

I do love my boris though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotefred View Post
    Hi everyone,

Any thoughts?

Guidelines are just that, guidelines. I'm very similar measurements and a 21'' boris fits great. The Lurch had too short of a top tube for me. Assuming this isnt your first bike review the geometry and how it works for you and pick the bike that fits you best.

mtbr member

Boris X7

Boris report....-20161129_133601.jpg

I received my Boris X7 from BikesDirect. Shipping wasn't kind. The derailleur was nearly bent in half. The front fork was mounted backwards and there is a 3mm chip in the paint. BikesDirect suggested using nail polish to repair the chip. I took it to a bike shop after assembly. The derailleur was able to be straightened. I have issues going between gears 10 and 11. It's a manual thing for me. I have to stop and move the chain from the small wheel to the big wheel or vice versa. I am thinking the derailleur is the problem. BikesDirect doesn't seem to be helpful and I haven't taken it back to the bike shop.

Despite the issues, I am thrilled with my first fat bike! Totally love it. I have not purchased snow worthy tires yet, so I can't test it in the snow but it's amazing on dirt, pavement etc. It is a really cool bike for $700.

What color nail polish matches Ocean Blue? Anyone know?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammot View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161129_133601.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	321.0 KB 
ID:	1112099

I received my Boris X7 from BikesDirect. Shipping wasn't kind. The derailleur was nearly bent in half. The front fork was mounted backwards and there is a 3mm chip in the paint. BikesDirect suggested using nail polish to repair the chip. I took it to a bike shop after assembly. The derailleur was able to be straightened. I have issues going between gears 10 and 11. It's a manual thing for me. I have to stop and move the chain from the small wheel to the big wheel or vice versa. I am thinking the derailleur is the problem. BikesDirect doesn't seem to be helpful and I haven't taken it back to the bike shop.

Despite the issues, I am thrilled with my first fat bike! Totally love it. I have not purchased snow worthy tires yet, so I can't test it in the snow but it's amazing on dirt, pavement etc. It is a really cool bike for $700.

What color nail polish matches Ocean Blue? Anyone know?
    Nice color! I would just go to a pharmacy with a picture of the bike in hand and try to match it. Nail polish usually dries a bit lighter than in the bottle i think.

Sounds like the shop needs to adjust the front derailleur if you paid for an adjustment on both. Otherwise check out youtube on how to adjust it, its not that difficult and can save you the time of bringing it in.

Ride on.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice! They said that it would be a clunky shift between the big and small gears. It usually happens when I am riding up a steep hill and try to shift down. On flat ground, where you don't need to shift....it's fine.

mtbr member
    I am wondering if 4.8" tires will fit on the stock Boris X7.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice! They said that it would be a clunky shift between the big and small gears. It usually happens when I am riding up a steep hill and try to shift down. On flat ground, where you don't need to shift....it's fine.
    Well, you shouldn't really be shifting under load like that, try to shift down/up before the climbs. However, it should usually be VERY easy to shift down in the front versus up.

mtbr member
    I am wondering if 4.8" tires will fit on the stock Boris X7.
    Nope, a juggernaut 4.5 is the biggest and even then you need to trim the outer knobs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Hi everyone - Just joined the forum. I ordered a Boris the Evil Brute on Monday, and it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I picked this model for the hydro discs, Shimano drivetrain, wheelset, etc. I wanted to get better components than I have on my 29er. Has anyone got one of these on the scales yet? I have a few parts left over from previous bikes (saddle, seatpost, etc) than I plan on swapping on after the initial test ride. Hope to be posting a pic tomorrow night!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I bought the original Boris X9. Bought Mulefuts, went tubeless, 10 speed with original cranks, carbon fork, and was just below 30 pounds. Here's the link of going tubeless-
    Using STRETCH WRAP for tubeless. Mulefut rims, Floater/Larry 3.8 tires. Pictures
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    I bought a original boris. I upgraded the tires, handlebars, stem, seatpost,seat, headset,pedals,brakes, and went to a 1x drive train.

With a carbon fork I'm 31 lbs

With a bluto it's 34lbs

Keep in mind, I have a gravity dropper. I have q tubes ultralight which will drop a pound coming in the mail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Why q-tubes? Why not go tubeless or won't the rim support going tubeless?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pack66 View Post
    Why q-tubes? Why not go tubeless or won't the rim support going tubeless?
    The rims when setup tubeless don't save much weight due to sill foam + split tube.

mtbr member
    Are you running a thru axle carbon or do you have two front wheels? Or lace a new hub to stock rim?

Tubeless definitely won't save much weight but people will argue it lowers rolling resistance as well as reducing the risk of pinch or puncture flats. I run q tubes and jumbo Jims on the stock wheels, 1x10, deore brakes and lower end race face cockpit and it weighs around 33lbs.

mtbr member
    Are you running a thru axle carbon or do you have two front wheels? Or lace a new hub to stock rim?

Tubeless definitely won't save much weight but people will argue it lowers rolling resistance as well as reducing the risk of pinch or puncture flats. I run q tubes and jumbo Jims on the stock wheels, 1x10, deore brakes and lower end race face cockpit and it weighs around 33lbs.
    I have 2 front wheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well I finally learned my lesson in dealing with Bikesdirect. You get exactly what you pay for, there isn't any great deal to be had. These are budget bikes that are a step above department store bikes. If you are someone who leaves a bike as is or is looking for a beater or spare these are great option.

I gave BD a try back in 09 or so and bought a 29er hardtail. I got about 150 miles out of it before the frame broke. I stayed away for a long time but when they introduced the Boris equipped with sliders and all the brazeons it was exactly what I was looking for and was priced right. It was fun to run single speed and the rack options were great for the winter time. Well I might have got 700 miles out of it before the frame broke.

Contacted BD, sent them additional pictures they said to package it up and sent them it they would inspect it and send me something "comparable". Didn't hear anything from them after that. About 2.5-3 weeks later I had a package at my front door, one of the current Boris frames.

Obviously no sliding drop outs, a lack of brazons, which was the sole reason i bought the bike not to mention this frame is over a pound heavier than my original. I don't agree that this is a comparable replacement. I contacted them to discuss and basically got none of those frames are available, the geometry is similar so therefore its comparable and there's nothing more that can be done and then they quit replying.

Since there's no other option I put the bike back together and the chainline is horrible. Running a 4.0 floater in the back and big on the cassette small up front the chain is rubbing sitting on the rack. It looks ok in the bigger chainring so i'm hoping that going 1x will make it usable. Personally this frame is garbage! It's great to get away cheap for a snow bike but thats about it.

After all that I went to my LBS and bought a Jamis Dragonslayer to fit my needs and ill give the crap out of this pos in the snow. I really feel bad for recommending BD to friends and family and hope they have better luck than i did. Lesson Learned!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finny1999 View Post
    Well I finally learned my lesson in dealing with Bikesdirect. You get exactly what you pay for, there isn't any great deal to be had. These are budget bikes that are a step above department store bikes. If you are someone who leaves a bike as is or is looking for a beater or spare these are great option.

I gave BD a try back in 09 or so and bought a 29er hardtail. I got about 150 miles out of it before the frame broke. I stayed away for a long time but when they introduced the Boris equipped with sliders and all the brazeons it was exactly what I was looking for and was priced right. It was fun to run single speed and the rack options were great for the winter time. Well I might have got 700 miles out of it before the frame broke.

Contacted BD, sent them additional pictures they said to package it up and sent them it they would inspect it and send me something "comparable". Didn't hear anything from them after that. About 2.5-3 weeks later I had a package at my front door, one of the current Boris frames.

Obviously no sliding drop outs, a lack of brazons, which was the sole reason i bought the bike not to mention this frame is over a pound heavier than my original. I don't agree that this is a comparable replacement. I contacted them to discuss and basically got none of those frames are available, the geometry is similar so therefore its comparable and there's nothing more that can be done and then they quit replying.

Since there's no other option I put the bike back together and the chainline is horrible. Running a 4.0 floater in the back and big on the cassette small up front the chain is rubbing sitting on the rack. It looks ok in the bigger chainring so i'm hoping that going 1x will make it usable. Personally this frame is garbage! It's great to get away cheap for a snow bike but thats about it.

After all that I went to my LBS and bought a Jamis Dragonslayer to fit my needs and ill give the crap out of this pos in the snow. I really feel bad for recommending BD to friends and family and hope they have better luck than i did. Lesson Learned!
    Something sounds a bit wrong with this.

I understand about the new vs old frame, but I think the new frame you received may be damaged. I've run a 4.5 in the rear of mine with a 1x before with no issues. A on one floater would definitely clear. I

mtbr member
    Something sounds a bit wrong with this.

I understand about the new vs old frame, but I think the new frame you received may be damaged. I've run a 4.5 in the rear of mine with a 1x before with no issues. A on one floater would definitely clear. I
    Had first gen frame, broke, got second gen frame. I too wished the sliding dropouts would have been retained however, I run floaters and there is no chain run and I run 2x10. (Clinging mud is the excepting but that's gonna happen with any bike if the mud is severe enough)
    So have to agree something isn't right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    The rims when setup tubeless don't save much weight due to sill foam + split tube.
    Ah. I don't go tubeless for weight, I do it for dealing with thorns and goatheads. That and I think the ride is better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hard to get a good picture but that is the chain line I have on the rack with a 26t chainring and in the 36t on the cassette.

I wouldn't doubt there's something wrong with it. They probably sent me something out of the reject pile.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I ordered a set of the 29er wheels that fit the Boris from bike island. Just now mounted with the 2.1 Nanos that come with them. Looks kinda funny after being used to the Hell Billie 4.25's. I'll post up some pics when I get a chance. No ride report though because my lower back hates me.
    Boris report....-d3474261-3993-48a0-9357-ab74ca867339.jpgBoris report....-38639685-8546-453e-98f6-9806bbf637f5.jpg
    Last edited by Beicster; 01-07-2017 at 04:01 PM. Reason: adding pictures

mtbr member
    New goodies.

4.5 juggernaut pro for the front, q tubes, and the selle anatomica nsx saddle. Also swapped the 27tpi nate with the 120 tpi snowshoe 4.5 in the rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Here is my new Boris the Evil Brute. This pic is right after a quick ride in the snow on Saturday afternoon. First fat bike. Enjoying it so far. Setting it up with tubeless and some other goodies tonightBoris report....-boris.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Your SO must love having the bike by the fireplace.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I only wish my shop room had a fireplace too. That'd be nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Working on the bike in front of the pellet stove is really nice this time of year. I'm only getting away with working in the family room because my wife gave my furniture to one of my daughters and the ne furniture is still a few weeks from arrival.

I had enough time to tinker a bit tonight. The stock bike was 35.6 lbs. replacing the stock saddle and seatpost with the selle Italian and carbon post from my old road bike drooped a full pound. Based on the weight of the front tube it looks like I should lose almost 2 lbs from going tubeless. I will update with more weights and pics as I progress.

Does anyone have a trick to getting these tires on and off? I broke a plastic tire lever tonight just trying to remove the front tire. If it is going to be this hard, I'm not looking forward to the tubeless project...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevDog View Post
    Working on the bike in front of the pellet stove is really nice this time of year. I'm only getting away with working in the family room because my wife gave my furniture to one of my daughters and the ne furniture is still a few weeks from arrival.

I had enough time to tinker a bit tonight. The stock bike was 35.6 lbs. replacing the stock saddle and seatpost with the selle Italian and carbon post from my old road bike drooped a full pound. Based on the weight of the front tube it looks like I should lose almost 2 lbs from going tubeless. I will update with more weights and pics as I progress.

Does anyone have a trick to getting these tires on and off? I broke a plastic tire lever tonight just trying to remove the front tire. If it is going to be this hard, I'm not looking forward to the tubeless project...
    Some guys will tell you to protect the hub and use a stiff shoe more or less jump on it. I'm a light weight and it didn't work for me. What did work was leaving a couple of pounds of air in the tire and using C-clamps to break the bead. A short block of wood beneath the C-clamp will remove a larger part of the bead. I heard about carrying clamp out on the trail, and references to not being tough enough, but that was what is was like the first time with the new mulefuts. After the first break it was much easier.
    Here's the link. Breaking the seal on tubeless ready rims.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevDog View Post
    Here is my new Boris the Evil Brute. This pic is right after a quick ride in the snow on Saturday afternoon. First fat bike. Enjoying it so far. Setting it up with tubeless and some other goodies tonightClick image for larger version. 

Name:	boris.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	1114799
    Nice! I've had buddy's with mulefats stand on there tires to get them to unseat. I've seen another guy in a shop pinch the tire in a padded vice to get it to unseat.

Makes me want to pick up a set of those rims for my boris.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yeah getting the tubeless conversion done on my night train was worth it, but it involved a ratchet strap, removing the valve cores and 160psi to get the damn beads set. It was worth it in the end. Don't even try with a hand pump.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Breaking the beads wasn't a problem for me. It is getting the tire on and off of the rim. They are really tight!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sferguson24 View Post
    ... and 160psi to get the damn beads set. It was worth it in the end.
    If you had to use that much pressure, you're lucky you're alive. Tubeless system manufacturers normally recommend no higher than 40 psi to seat the bead. If you can't seat it at 40, somethings not right. A friend decided to ignore that and blew a fat tire off his rim at 45 psi. Bloodied up his face and arm, everybody in the shop had ringing ears, destroyed the tire. I don't want to think what 160 psi would do to a person if it went off. brings back memories of split ring tire explosions.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    20 psi was enough to set the beads on 5 different tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I needed the volume, not pressure. No clue how you would get the bead up on the shelf without the air volume. Clearly once the bead jumped up I pulled the blow gun off. Just like seating a car tire

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I finally had time last night to do the tubeless conversion on the Evil Brute. Went surprisingly well for my first time doing tubeless. The key for me was a bottle of soapy water to lube the beads to get them on and off the rime, as well as to help them seat. the tires seated with a floor pump and held air without Stans. Added Stans and shook them up and spun them and let the bike sit overnight. No air loss overnight, and no signs of any sealant leaking out form anywhere. Success!

Final weight after conversion was 33 lbs. I weighed the tubes by themselves - they were 2.3lbs for the pair!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    And here is a pic of the completed bike! I changed out the red rimstrips for black.Boris report....-boris2.jpg

mtbr member
    Slx 11 speed derailleur,cassette, shifter and chain is on the way for my boris

mtbr member
    Another ride on the boris

mtbr member
    Anyone running a 1x11?

mtbr member
    Slx 11 speed drive train installed

mtbr member
    May 2014
    very nice. Is that slx for all parts?

mtbr member
    very nice. Is that slx for all parts?
    Slx everything. Only cost me $146.60. One of the best upgrades I have done. I went with the 11-42 cassette.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I put the fat tires back on my Boris and went out exploring with some friends yesterday. I felt confident with the bike all day (not so confident with my fitness ). I even did some serious bombing down some rocky, rooty and rutted downhills and never worried about anything.

Sunny skies and warm temps are not common in Kentucky and we felt lucky to have it. It was a great day overall but my favorite part was finding the old abandoned homestead in the middle of nowhere. Looks like a lot of life happened there.

Boris report....-homestead-bike.jpg
    It's all good!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Anyone running the Surly Nate 26x3.8 on the rear wheels of the Boris X5?

Just put the Bud in front and a great difference vs the Snowshoe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rejtheedge View Post
    Anyone running the Surly Nate 26x3.8 on the rear wheels of the Boris X5?

Just put the Bud in front and a great difference vs the Snowshoe.
    I was, I have some faster rolling tires on now

But I have it currently with a 4.5 Kenda juggernaut pro in the front, and a 4.5 snowshoe in the rear. I just have enough clearance in the rear so I don't have chain rub with a 1x11.

mtbr member
    My friend and I had a snow day today from school, and decided on riding. He's on a medium boris (left) I'm on my boris on the right. Did 10 miles into town.

mtbr member
    Something that's interesting, is my stock 2015 large boris weighs less than my friends new 2016 medium boris. Mine was 36lbs stock, his was 38lbs stock. He swapped to 120tpi floaters and removed the black rim strip to save some weight.

I added 2 bottomless tokens to the bluto, as I was bottoming out on large jumps/drops. The components are being swapped onto a carbon speed full suspension frame soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I did a several stream crossings a few weekends ago and set aside time to rebuild the hubs and the bottom bracket yesterday. I have read that some folks have had issues with the bottom bracket wearing out quickly. The minute I pulled the bearings, water poured out of the bottom bracket so I did not have high hopes. The plastic sleeve was covered in muck, as well. I was very surprised that the bearings were still very smooth and did not have any play in them so I just cleaned everything up and put it all back together.

The hubs are still fine. I pulled the seals off and did not see any visible signs of contamination under them. The axles still spin freely and did not have a "gritchy" feeling. I ended up leaving them alone. I am not looking forward to the day they need rebuilding because the metal pressed in bearing cover is not going to be fun to deal with.

I did end up rebuilding the headset. I suggest everyone do this fairly regularly. The seals on the lower cup did nothing to keep out nastiness.
    It's all good!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    hi guys!!
    i just ordered the boris sprung ltd in purple. looks awesome!!
    however...i checked the fedex shipping weight. it says 30 lbs. is that right or am i getting half a bike or something?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyPunK View Post
    hi guys!!
    i just ordered the boris sprung ltd in purple. looks awesome!!
    however...i checked the fedex shipping weight. it says 30 lbs. is that right or am i getting half a bike or something?
    Mine said that. I think BD must have negotiated a flat rate or something.
    It's all good!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Beicster View Post
    Mine said that. I think BD must have negotiated a flat rate or something.
    Yup. Called today. It's a flat rate on the size of the box. The weight is arbitrary. If it was a road bike I probably would have asked of they sold me a bike and a half! Lol

Anyway it's in MO right now on its way to WI. Can't wait!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    my new mistress Heather
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boris report....-img_20170307_164335012.jpg  

Remember....When in doubt ride a wheelie!!!

mtbr member
    Still love my boris, destroyed my nw chainring and crank going over a stone wall. Hit the chainring hard, stripped 3 of the threads in my chainring and bent the spider tabs (which cracked by the end of the ride). I replaced 1 bolt with a random bolt and nut, and the other 2 were held on with zipties(hole with yellow ziptie is missing the bolt completely, the black one is holding the stripped bolt in place) . It made it 6 miles like this. Who needs bolts anyway?

I put the 22t chainring on so I can ride it until my new crankset arrives.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334