Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    for a frame pack I'm thinking about picking up one of these, kinda like the tube vs full frame bag (although their frame pack is well priced too).

Porta-Pack: Sport Rack Pack, Bike Storage Pack. Providing storage traditional packs do not, water resistant and made from heavy duty Cordura. Made in the USA.

mtbr member
    Yeah, i like the frame pack as well. I carry a battery for my light system. plus a couple tools, maybe phone, etc.
    I figured cheap to try one out..lol
    thanks for tip,
    scott

mtbr member
    I'm new here. My x9 showed up last week. It was waiting for me at UPS will call while I was away at the beach.

I'm really happy with this bike. It was hard buying it without riding it first but it fits very well. The medium fits my 6' frame perfectly. I was on the edge of sizes but went with the smaller size because I prefer being able to toss it around more. You can't take the BMX out of me.

The mission tires work awesome for riding in the NJ Pine Barrens. I did notice the self steer issue on pavement during the ride to the forest with less than 10 psi in the front tire. Once you hit the sandy trails, that turns into gobs of traction. At higher pressure (14-15) on the street it is non existant and I didn't loose much traction off road. It rolled a bit easier and felt nicely neutral also. Rode it 50 miles yesterday, half on road half off. I can't remember the last time I rode 5 hours.

I ordered this bike while suffering nicotine withdrawal. It is my reward to myself. 29 years up to 2 packs a day quit cold turkey

mtbr member
    congrats! Nice bike and quitting smoking will keep you around a long time. My wife quit 2 years ago.

mtbr member

Boris report....

Congrats. On the bike and stopping smoking!

Sent from magic wish granting phone

mtbr member
    Great job on quitting smoking! The bike is a great reward, plus you can ride longer now!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Anyone know if the freehub is upgradable on the Boris?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I just got back from a 8 mile ride in the muck, I put 10 psi in the tires and it's a different beast, it is much harder to steer, on the big hills I was not getting super traction but that's more on the tires than anything else, those will be my first big upgrade. Should I go bud/Lou ? Or are there cheaper and better alternatives, this will also serve as my snow bike.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member

Boris report....

What psi were you running before? I run a bit lower in the dry climate... 8 front and 10 rear with my floaters. I have all the traction I could hope for.. Then again I'm a large (girth) person....
    Can't compare them to the missions as I pulled them off first thing to replace due to the poor reviews.
    On-one floaters are cheaper 75 each for black and ya have the option for some colors as well if you prefer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcksqrl View Post
    What psi were you running before? I run a bit lower in the dry climate... 8 front and 10 rear with my floaters. I have all the traction I could hope for.. Then again I'm a large (girth) person....
    Can't compare them to the missions as I pulled them off first thing to replace due to the poor reviews.
    On-one floaters are cheaper 75 each for black and ya have the option for some colors as well if you prefer.

The ride before it was much dryer out so I was running close to 20 psi but found that to feel way to bumpy going over roots and rocks.

Where did you get the On-one floaters at?
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member

Boris report....

www.Planet-x-usa.com
    is the usa distributer.
    Psi I'm running at works fine but if I go any lower it gets squirrelly on the corners...... Sure it has extra rolling resistance but if I were worried about that I'd be a roadie. My tires and bike make me smile, sweat but rarely curse! (That comes naturally)

mtbr member
    This might of been said already but what is the biggest size tire that will fit on a boris?
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    This might of been said already but what is the biggest size tire that will fit on a boris?
    motobecane web site says 4.5" maybe larger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radnur22 View Post
    motobecane web site says 4.5" maybe larger.
    Ok thanks, then a Bud/Lou may not fit then. There 4.8
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member

more of the "orange Crush" 21"

Boris report....-20140904_135646.jpgBoris report....-20140904_135729.jpgBoris report....-20140904_135701.jpgmore pics..new large frame bag, this is on a 21 frame. Bag is:
    Amazon.com : Ibera Bicycle Triangle Frame Bag : Sports & Outdoors

Pics of new wellgo replaceable pin pedals in blue. $16.99 ebay

pic of headset bottlecap holder from niner. Have to get a bottle cap from my favorite root beer tonight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I like your cable color choice! That looks pretty sweet. My friend is on the taller side, just curious what your height is and what size frame and what you think of it.

mtbr member
    6' 3" 34" inseam. I think i could have used a 19" as well but i like the look of the taller frame. No issues on top tube clearance, and the reach with the 60mm stem is fine.
    I bet that bag would look even cooler on a 19". But is looks like it was made for mine, with the orange accents.
    Always liked wellgo mg1 ones and these are new with removable pins and in blue..yay!
    Wellgo Platform Pedals LU313 with Replacable Pins 9 16 Blue BMX MTB | eBay

mtbr member
    By the way, it looks like i'm always posting stuff to buy..lol.
    It's just that it has been really fun to have this bike and deck it out.
    I feel like it's my first bike all over again...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I love accessorizing a new bike.. Whether I'm building one or buying one. I'm still deciding on little stuff like if I need a bash guard. I threw a 32t chainring I had laying around on mine to see if I will have to shift the front derailleur less for climbs and sand. So far so good. I don't mind having it there in case I need it but I don't really plan on going too fast on the road so the 36 was a little tall. Gonna build another bd bike for my friend tomorrow and then hit the trails.

mtbr member
    How come when you bring up you own a motobecane- and how you like it, they roll there eyes? Does one need to drop 2 grand on a bike for it to be considered good? I say this because someone did this to me in a different Fatboy thread
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I imagine that they're somewhat lacking in self confidence or in some physical attribute or they never let go of mama.

How come when you bring up you own a motobecane- and how you like it, they roll there eyes? Does one need to drop 2 grand on a bike for it to be considered good? I say this because someone did this to me in a different Fatboy thread

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Good for them - who gives a crap! We're the ones that could buy a 2nd bike and still be ahead of them at the bank!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pxpaulx View Post
    We're the ones that could buy a 2nd bike and still be ahead of them at the bank!
    2nd ... 3rd ... or 5th bike and have plenty left over to customize to our delight!
    (Bu hubby said I need to sell one of my bikes to buy my Boris ... So my ole purple beach cruiser went on CL as soon as I hit the purchase button on BD).

mtbr member
    Hmm.. a Boris, a Lurch and a Bluto ..all for about the price of one of theirs.
    It's apples and oranges, my Boris is great and I am really enjoying it. My local bike guy just bought a KHS 4 season. He saw mine and wonders how they can sell it so low. He didn't belittle me at all. As a KHS retailer he got a good deal and it promotes what he sells.
    I Own a Honda Valkyrie and if i meet some Harley owners, well you know the drill.
    A cult of personality is just that, a group of people loyal to the extreme.
    Enjoy your bike and with the numbers of these "Bd's" being sold, I'm sure you will not be in the minority for long.

mtbr member

Boris report....

Saw another Boris on the trail Wednesday, initial ride for new owner. X7, love the flat paint they used! Prefer it over the shiny black on the x9. V8 tires looked ok for most trails but sure looked like they rolled smooth! I love the fact that they have made it affordable to own a fat bike! I was skeptical but went out and ordered once initial reviews of the fb4 came through and am loving life.
    It's all about what makes you happy. Ford/chevy... Jeep/toyota... It's Like I've always been told.... "Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one"

mtbr member
    Well... On these forums, for everyone that makes fun of Bikes Direct/Motobecane there is usually someone else making fun of Specialized (Special-Ed...) or Trek, etc.

Buy the bike you like and what works for your budget. That's your business - not anyone else's.

FWIW - I took a long and hard look @ the Motobecane Fat Bikes. I decided to go another route for a multitude of reasons but have been enjoying the pics from peeps brand new Boris and Lurch bikes. Enjoy your rides!
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've never seen any of this on the trails, just on the forums and in the lbs. And that's fine, thats where elitism works. At the lbs, they're trying to shame me into buying at retail prices so they make money. Makes sense. That's why I don't go to the lbs. On the forum it's just somebody trying to justify the price they were suckered into paying at the elitist lbs. And that's cool too, whatever let's you sleep at night. Everyone is going to have an opinion, but sometimes they probably shouldn't express it cause it makes them look like an *******.

aka bOb
    Just for the record It had nothing to do with a BD bike it had to do with your reverse bike snob comment. You get defensive when you think someone is talking down your bike but it's OK to talk down ours?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Usually the issues start when the comparisons start. For instance/ this bike is half the price , why would you spend double. A lot of peeps won't let that slide and wouldn't ride a BD if you gave it to them. They are generally not well accepted on MTBR. The key is just enjoy your bike

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    Usually the issues start when the comparisons start. For instance/ this bike is half the price , why would you spend double. A lot of peeps won't let that slide and wouldn't ride a BD if you gave it to them. They are generally not well accepted on MTBR. The key is just enjoy your bike
    Well said!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Back on track....after reading the threads on the Bluto, I may have to save my dollars and upgrade my Boris X9 with a Bluto. Sucks that I am on call this weekend, no riding for me. Anyway, I'll re-route my shifter cable, change out my front rotor, dream about a Bluto and maybe convert to tubeless via split tube.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    A quick note - ordered mine last Friday, received today - one week later. Got the silver X9 in a 19 inch. Very nice out of the box, but the front derailleur cable was mis-routed ( easy fix), the forks were bent. I noticed the remnants of the plastic shipping fork thingy was in the bottom of the box all broken, so the bike shifted during shipping and one side of the fork appeared to take the brunt of it. Emailed BD, we will see .
    Shifting, brakes, frame are excellent. Stem , seatpost, bars Ok. Seat comfy but a bit on the heavy side. Pedals OK for now if you ride flats - but not the smoothest bearings.
    Completely Stock bike weighed 36.4 lbs (lg) with pedals. Still rideable with tweaked forks, but hopefully BD will send some new forks as in a previous case.
    The Front and rear derailleur needed some tweaking but they were not far off. Test ride on street was good- rolls like a semi! On the trails soon when I get a straight fork and some sealant in the tubes.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My stock X9 came in today at 36.4 - that is with pedals assembled, no sealant in the stock tubes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: Boris report....

I re-rerouted my rear derailleur cable off the cable holder on the right side to get rid of the hard bend and zip tied it to the brake cable holder, and now it's not bent and should be fine like that long term. I wish they put one on that side because having the cable going down the same side it starts is annoyingly ugly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yzfvet View Post
    My stock X9 came in today at 36.4 - that is with pedals assembled, no sealant in the stock tubes.
    Can you weigh the bike with out the wheels on?
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member

Boris X7 with a few upgrades, after my second ride.

mtbr member

Boris report....

As it should look!

mtbr member
    What tires are those?
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member

Boris report....

What tires are those?
    Vee rubber Vee8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just put on some origin 8 Devist8ers that my lbs hooked me up with.. Gonna ride them tomorrow. They are the folding bead version and aren't too heavy. You awkward a size to weigh on my scale though

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Oh and another pic just cause I love white

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

tubeless

No riding except on my 3.4 acres due to call Anyway, went to change the warped front rotor but they sent me a Tektro 160mm when my X9 takes an Avid 180mm. So no luck there. However, I went tubeless with my home brew. Quite the leak, but it sealed. It was right at the seam of the rim. The other side wasn't as bad.

Boris report....-tubeless.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Looks like your reflector is trying to bail out

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    Looks like your reflector is trying to bail out

Yea, it was making a vibrating noise so that was my field expedient repair.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    so today i installed a new handlebar and grips, and re routed the cables so they are on the proper sides. got it all back together, and now i have some bad creaking coming from the front tire. it definitely sound like the spokes, as it is almost like a raking sound, as if something was sticking in them (like a kid with a baseball card). also, it is only happening when the wheel/bike is turned to the right. any thoughts on what it might be? mayb e i should grease the skewer a little bit? it is not the brake, there is no noise when i am not on it. also, it isnt in the pedals as the noise occurs whether pedaling or not.

thanks in advance!

oh, here is the almost finished upgrades!

Boris report....-20140906_161004.jpg

mtbr member

Boris report....

Noise is the brake rotor rubbing.

At least mine was!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Noise is the brake rotor rubbing.

At least mine was!

not in my case, like i said it only happens when turning right, no noise when tye wheel is spun when i am off the bike...i will double check in the morning though!

mtbr member

Boris report....

Mine only rubbed when turned right as well. Worse with weight on bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Mine only rubbed when turned right as well. Worse with weight on bike.

will definitely give that a closer look then, maybe need to readjust the brake with all the work i did.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pxpaulx View Post
    not in my case, like i said it only happens when turning right, no noise when tye wheel is spun when i am off the bike...i will double check in the morning though!
    Try my field expedient repair

Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast