Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by WrenchP View Post
    Has anyone ordered the x9 in silver? Any pictures?
    Yup, and looks like these will be the first silver X9 pictures online. The silver looks great - it is metallic so there are very small flecks in it that don't really show well in pictures. The bike quality is very good from my first impressions. Welds and paint are solid, other than a very small scuff on the downtube (the silver hides blemishes btw) the bike had no damage upon arrival. The box was fully intact. The plastic "hub" for the fork was broken as mentioned by others, but my fork doesn't seem to have any issues.

Typical items needed to be adjusted - derailleur position and limits, handlebars, and brakes. BB7s are easy to get adjusted, and you will probably need to reposition the caliper housing to the frame as shown in the included instructions from Avid. Also be sure to check the headset - mine was fairly loose, but still moves freely upon tightening to remove lateral play. The rear derailleur cable was also incorrectly routed to the provided mounts. The rear brake cable housing might be too short because it limits the front wheel turn radius to about 100 degrees left of center, probably not a big deal but it could pull on the brake lever in a crash - not that I would ever crash . Rims seem to be fairly true, but I will probably have them checked at a LBS soon. Also, there were yellow rim strips included in the box.

The bike rides great. Responsive and easy to control. Shifts great and the brakes have plenty of power even after just a few firm braking episodes. I have no desire to switch to hydros (which I have on my XC bike). I am 5'11" and 32" inseam and this is a Large 19" frame. I was in between sizes, but the Large fits me just fine and my riding position is a little more upright than my XC bike. The medium probably would have fit too, but there would have been a lot of seatpost exposed. There is some self steer with the Mission tires, but it isn't that bad. I was planning to ditch them immediately, but I'll probably keep them on in the warmer months and get something more aggressive for the winter. It looks like H-billies *should* fit. Bottom line, a LBS would sell this bike for $1600+ with a different name on it. At $800, it's a no-brainer. The below pictures are the fully stock bike.

Boris report....-2014-09-12-08.38.10-small.jpg

Boris report....-2014-09-12-08.38.19-small.jpg

Boris report....-2014-09-12-08.38.35-small.jpg

Boris report....-2014-09-12-08.38.45-small.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Boris report....

double post
    Last edited by tdamlo; 09-13-2014 at 05:07 AM. Reason: double post

mtbr member
    I was thinking of getting new tires to for winter but really don't want to throw down a couple hundred on new tires, so I was thinking about using screws instead, anyone ever attempt this? I've done this before with dirt bike tires but they had more tread on them so the screw had more rubber to grab into.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    They are out of anything in my size (and not a foo foo color) in all but the X5 - I need a 17.

Questions -
    Anyone with an x9 in size 17 have buyer's remorse and want to sell it?
    Is there are big weight difference between an X5 and X9?

Any thoughts on buying an X5 and upgrading? It seems to me that the spec on the x5 would work OK in terms of derailers, but not sure if the cranks are heavy and junky or if the brakes are horrible. I would not want to spend money upgrading and end up paying more than the X9 for less of a bike. Really bummed I missed the deal!!!!

Tom

If I were to buy

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have the x5 and have been abusing it pretty good.. And it's still going. I have the sram gxp on another bike and the ones on the x5 don't weigh a noticeable difference. The sram gxp isn't super light either. I got the x5 cause I plan on moving the drivetrain from my fs down to it, so that was a non issue but I haven't had a problem with the x5 drivetrain, I just prefer shimano. Brakes, I have bb7s that just need pads but the novela is adequate for now. They're not terrible just not as adjustable. I didn't want the mission tires anyways so that didn't make a difference. It really depends on what you want and what your plans are. I have parts, and I can get them cheap on ebay if I want something usually.. And I do my own work, so it's not super expensive to upgrade something.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    While I prefer shimano (no other reason than using it my whole life until recently), the SRAM stuff on my Stumpjumper works fine, so as long as the X5 stuff works fine, no worries there.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a GXP?

I guess the other issue is that the X9 is a smoking deal at $799, which I think is less than when it was first released. If the X5 went down to $499, that would be so much better. Part of this is getting a great bike, another part is really feeling like I got that great deal, even better than the normal bikesdirect.com great deal.

Tom

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Gxp is the crankset on the x9

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i thought x9 had

SRAM X5 22T ALLOY BKx36T ALLOY BKx175MM

i do see that GXP is the bottom bracket...

Tom

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah its the bb that comes with the x5 crankset

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The price hasnt gone down since I have been looking at them and that's been a few months. I think the x5 is a good deal for someone who wants to throw some parts on, especially when most of the differences are stuff that you'd do differently than the x9. The x5 is a good starting point, but it depends on your plans. I wish it came with the new alivio shifters that triggers on top and the bottom because I don't like the bottom thumb trigger on the x5. I'd rather use index fingers. But it's still a pretty cheap price point to get on a fat bike.

I did lose the fixing nut on the crank, not a big deal the gxp fits, so I'll have to pick up another one. They're coming from China for 2 bucks, not a deal breaker. I'll be putting some thread lock in there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    I was thinking of getting new tires to for winter but really don't want to throw down a couple hundred on new tires, so I was thinking about using screws instead, anyone ever attempt this? I've done this before with dirt bike tires but they had more tread on them so the screw had more rubber to grab into.
    I used machine screws with nuts on the exterior, silicone on the interior screw heads on a old bike. I'll be using this setup on the vees and buying something for non snow riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radnur22 View Post
    I used machine screws with nuts on the exterior, silicone on the interior screw heads on a old bike. I'll be using this setup on the vees and buying something for non snow riding.
    Thank you for the reply. I was also thinking of lining the tires with duck tape, thats how I used to do it with my dirt bikes back in the day.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pearsth View Post

Questions -
    Is there are big weight difference between an X5 and X9
    I have a 19 in black, I will sell it for 1000 bucks
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hah...I can get a 19 online for 799 still. Need to stretch my stumpy legs!!!
    2010 Stumpjumper Carbon Expert
    1998 Stumpjumer Comp
    2012 Airborne Wingman
    2014 Motobecane Night Train Bullet

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pearsth View Post
    They are out of anything in my size (and not a foo foo color) in all but the X5 - I need a 17.

Questions -
    Is there are big weight difference between an X5 and X9?

Any thoughts on buying an X5 and upgrading? It seems to me that the spec on the x5 would work OK in terms of derailers, but not sure if the cranks are heavy and junky or if the brakes are horrible. I would not want to spend money upgrading and end up paying more than the X9 for less of a bike. Really bummed I missed the deal!!!!

Tom

If I were to buy
    I don't think the difference in price justifies spending any more than whaT you need to get an x5...and I have an x9
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fastpunk View Post
    Is the Boris front hub, front disc spacing or rear disc spacing?
    Good question. I got some salsa enabler forks to replace the bent stock forks that were shipped. Save some serious weight, I might add - .7 lbs. But the brakes don't line up so now - the disc is too close, so now I have to do some research. Adapter ? Different wheel? I love the forks tho. If anyone has any insight on this alignment problem feel free to chime in. thx!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Is that what the washer that came with the bike is for?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yzfvet View Post
    Good question. I got some salsa enabler forks to replace the bent stock forks that were shipped. Save some serious weight, I might add - .7 lbs. But the brakes don't line up so now - the disc is too close, so now I have to do some research. Adapter ? Different wheel? I love the forks tho. If anyone has any insight on this alignment problem feel free to chime in. thx!
    Well, it looks like I ordered the wrong fork. The wheels are front hub - zero offset . I think anyhow - as the enabler forks don't quite line up as far as the front brakes go. Not that BD puts any of these details in their descriptions. I need to see if there is some adapters of some sort - Why are rigid fat bike forks so complicated??

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    All bikes are complicated but fat bikes are the newest and things are changing so fast that you have to be careful when you buy something. I didn't even know the wheels and fork were at odd offsets and I've been shopping for both lol

mtbr member

Boris report....

Well, it looks like I ordered the wrong fork. The wheels are front hub - zero offset . I think anyhow - as the enabler forks don't quite line up as far as the front brakes go. Not that BD puts any of these details in their descriptions. I need to see if there is some adapters of some sort - Why are rigid fat bike forks so complicated??
    5mm shims between the bracket and frame, to move the caliper inboard, should line it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thx for the suggestion, but actually the caliper mount will not fit between the mount on the fork and the rotor - too tight. I did find out that I can grind 5 mm off the caliper mount ( just where it bolts on) and that should do the trick! Kind of a recess in the mount itself.

mtbr member

Boris report....

Thx for the suggestion, but actually the caliper mount will not fit between the mount on the fork and the rotor - too tight. I did find out that I can grind 5 mm off the caliper mount ( just where it bolts on) and that should do the trick! Kind of a recess in the mount itself.
    I had them reversed then. 5mm shims for a front spaced fork on a rear spaced hub maybe? Your hub is front spaced on a rear spaced fork.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Ready to roll

Finally got the brakes aligned nice on the enabler forks, Slimed surly lite tubes, different ( lighter ) seat, grips. Gained a lb with the slime, but lost it with the other changes, so still 36.4 lbs. Ready for some sand!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Hey all,
    any idea what the chainline is on a boris x7 or x9? I have some race face ride cranks coming and don't see any info anywhere. Also checked Khs 3000 site.
    nominal on cranks is 50mm.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: Boris report....

Went for a ride today.. Found an abandoned van too

wanna ride bikes?
    update on my Boris X5 in indigo blue.

day of assembly: Yellow rim strips (just to see how it looks), On One Floaters, SPD pedals, swapped saddle
    Attachment 923469Attachment 923470Attachment 923471

Shimano SLX hydraulic brakes with 203mm XT rotor. only the front came in when my LBS ordered them, now I have both and will probably get the rear on tomorrow.
    Attachment 923473

and today i set up the front ghetto tubeless. worked beautifully. added reflective tape in blue so I'll see how it looks tonight. loving this thing!

Attachment 923478Attachment 923479Attachment 923480Attachment 923481

Custom User Title
    May 2005
    Finally got the brakes aligned nice on the enabler forks, Slimed surly lite tubes, different ( lighter ) seat, grips. Gained a lb with the slime, but lost it with the other changes, so still 36.4 lbs. Ready for some sand!
    And what did you end up doing with the mount? grind it down by 5mm where the caliper mounts?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yes,worked great. Beats getting a new fork or hub! Somebody should sell these adaptive caliper mounts! Angle grinder, Dremel tool, file in about an hr

wanna ride bikes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Waited too long to buy a Boris! Ended up with an Ocean Blue 17 inch. I ordered it last Thurs, shipped on friday and picked it up will call at ups Tues morning. Rerouted front der cable and need to trim front brake caliper bracket mounting screws, they rub on rotor. Adjusted shifters, tire psi and seat. Went to lbs picked up some pedal washers and presta adapters. Ready to ride tom after I work 3rd shift. Rides much stiffer than my former Dolomite. I may be spraying plastidip this weekend if I can't learn to like the color!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You should just get some shorter bolts from ace hardware or something instead of cutting them post a pic of the bike I haven't seen that color I don't think, sounds interesting lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Here's my Ocean Blue Boris 17Boris report....-uploadfromtaptalk1410933799902.jpgBoris report....-uploadfromtaptalk1410933812562.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That's an awesome color reminds me of the old school bmx bikes from the 80s

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

I was hoping for a color like thisBoris report....-uploadfromtaptalk1410934653857.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Lol yeah that didn't happen. But it still looks cool. I'd keep it the way it is

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop1869 View Post
    Here's my Ocean Blue Boris 17Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1410933812562.jpg 
Views:	5797 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	924107
    I like the color, reminds me of Bianchi celeste

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

check the rear hub

My rear hub started making a faint ticking noise. After reading some of the posts, I decided to take it apart and inspect. The hub was a little light on the grease. No problem, packed it really good, reassembled and rode the fatty. Noise cured. If a person can work on a bike, these are the best value out there

I am ditching the Missions and ordered On-one Floaters for all around riding. Since I'm not hardcore and won't be riding in 3' or more of snow, they should work fine. The price is right at $138 shipped for 2 tyres.

mtbr member

My rear hub started making a faint ticking noise. After reading some of the posts, I decided to take it apart and inspect. The hub was a little light on the grease. No problem, packed it really good, reassembled and rode the fatty. Noise cured. If a person can work on a bike, these are the best value out there

I am ditching the Missions and ordered On-one Floaters for all around riding. Since I'm not hardcore and won't be riding in 3' or more of snow, they should work fine. The price is right at $138 shipped for 2 tyres.
    I went with Origin8 Devist8er UL tires. They were $103 shipped. I can't comment in traction yet, but they have far less self steer than expected.

Did anyone else have a gritty feeling in their hubs? I had to clean, re-grease, and adjust both hubs. They roll smooth as silk now.
    Keep a check on the crank arm bolt on the X7. Mine worked its way loose and I almost lost the crank arm.
    Love the bike even with its flaws.
    Last edited by Osiris sky; 09-17-2014 at 05:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris sky View Post
    I went with Origin8 Devist8er UL tires. They were $103 shipped. I can't comment in traction yet, but they have far less self steer than expected.

Did anyone else have a gritty feeling in their hubs? I had to clean, re-grease, and adjust both hubs. They roll smooth as silk now.
    Keep a check on the crank arm bolt on the X7. Mine worked its way loose and I almost lost the crank arm.
    Love the bike even with its flaws.
    Where did you get the tires from?
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member

Boris report....

Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Where did you get the tires from?
    Westernbikeworks

mtbr member

perfect fat rack

great rear rack and perfect fit. As a bonus if you get it with the matching lock in bag you have essentially a fender... all aluminun and solid. I got the one shown, 5 minute install and 8" wide clears evrything.
    Amazon.com : Ibera PakRak IB-RA5 Touring Plus Bicycle Carrier : Bike Racks : Sports & Outdoors
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boris report....-20140918_104036%5B1%5D.jpg  

Boris report....-20140918_104102%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member

finished

Boris report....-20140918_115821.jpgBoris report....-20140918_115701.jpgshe's a finished! well other than a drop post or something vanity inspired.

mtbr member
    BTW forgot to mention, went to 1x10. I bought the race face ride crank arms. Non removable spider, so i left the granny on. I can drop it by hand if i need to.
    34t front with that x9 clutch rear, chain has very little bounce.
    May get the 40 or 42 rear cog if i need lower gearing. But the granny is fine, just looks weird with no front D.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Finally got out for a good trail ride today on my new Boris. Absolutely love it. I've already ordered some Vee H-Billie tires and some Q-Tubes, should give me more traction and shed some weight. I'm hoping I can get the weight down to around 30lbs with those and a carbon fork in the future. Anyone changed out their fork yet? Just curious how much the steel fork weighs.

mtbr member

Boris report....

Took my first ride on the Devist8ers and love'em. Excellent traction and they don't pack up with mud. Almost no self steer at 8lbs even on pavement,

mtbr member

Boris report....

Quote Originally Posted by juicetifer View Post
    Finally got out for a good trail ride today on my new Boris. Absolutely love it. I've already ordered some Vee H-Billie tires and some Q-Tubes, should give me more traction and shed some weight. I'm hoping I can get the weight down to around 30lbs with those and a carbon fork in the future. Anyone changed out their fork yet? Just curious how much the steel fork weighs.

That's a beautiful area you have to ride in.

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BENKD29;[ATTACH=CONFIG
    The foam is placed over the rim strip with the slit tube above it? Rimstrip->Foam->tire tube? Just confirming.
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Got an X7 thanks to all the positive feedback in these threads, and my husband finally got it built last night. Everything went together well - no problems, and he's not really a bike guy. Derailleurs just need a bit of tuning. I kind of dig the purple. Need to take those reflectors off the wheels, get a new saddle and a shorter stem (I'm 5'5" and what they've got on the small frame is a bit too much reach), and then it'll be ready to go!

Boris report....-fatty.jpg

Bought this mostly to ride in snow, so I'll need to get some new tires before winter, but I can't wait to take it for a spin on the trails. It was a blast just to ride around the neighborhood!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm 5'8 on a 17" with a 40mm stem and its pretty much perfect. These are long tts

mtbr member
    yes cut tube placed over the foam strips

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    A couple of Boris questions

1 - best and largest tire to fit a stock boris for snow use?

2 when it is time to replace bottom bracket what do I buy?
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member

Boris report....

Don't recall anyone trying anything big on the back yet.....

Sent from magic wish granting phone

mtbr member
    May 2010

Silver x9 pic

In its natural habitat in Tucson - Sand
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just got my new rim in the mail and took it to the lbs to be trued and get the flat spot out. My other rim was a lot worse. The cassettes come pretty loose so I recommend making sure they are right. This one was barely hand tightened.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by stacers View Post
    ... get a new saddle and a shorter stem (I'm 5'5" and what they've got on the small frame is a bit too much reach), and then it'll be ready to go!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fatty.jpg 
Views:	1618 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	924664

Bought this mostly to ride in snow, so I'll need to get some new tires before winter, but I can't wait to take it for a spin on the trails. It was a blast just to ride around the neighborhood!
    Check into shorter crank arms too, my x5 small shipped with 175 crank arms. Most bikes have 170 crank arms on their small an XS bikes.
    I'm 5'4 and went with 170mm crank arms on an X5 crankset upgrade and a 60mm raceface turbine stem. Made a huge difference in how well the bike feels like it fits me now.

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by donn12 View Post
    A couple of Boris questions

1 - best and largest tire to fit a stock boris for snow use?

2 when it is time to replace bottom bracket what do I buy?
    1. you can fit anything you want in front. Surly Bud or vee rubber snowshoe

it's a little tighter in the rear. i was looking at it the other day and i don't think a 5 inch tire will fit comfortably. i thought i saw somewhere that someone was making a 4.5 rear tire. vee rubber maybe? that would maybe fit.? the other option is a 4.0 inch tire on a 100mm rim. that might fit as well.

i have a bud on the front and an On-One floater in the rear and don't really have any desire to go wider in the rear. it has plenty of tire the way it is. i ride with a few guys who also have a bigger tire in front and a 4.0 in the rear.

if you really feel the need for a wider tire in the rear, check out the lurch, or moonlander.

2. there are a few manufactures making fat bike bottom brackets now. google it. although that seems a long way down the road to worry about now.

my setup:
    Attachment 925354Attachment 925355Attachment 925356Attachment 925357Attachment 925358Attachment 925359

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    Anyone know the recommended tube size for ghetto tubeless setups on the stock x7 Boris rims? I've seeing mixed info about shorter wheel sizes.
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by homeslice View Post
    Anyone know the recommended tube size for ghetto tubeless setups on the stock x7 Boris rims? I've seeing mixed info about shorter wheel sizes.
    I used Q tubes 24x2.4-2.75. recommended by LBS. they are pretty thick tubes though. next time i do it i will look for a lighter weight tube if it exists in a similar size.
    Attachment 925428

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandmaRedlocks View Post
    Check into shorter crank arms too, my x5 small shipped with 175 crank arms. Most bikes have 170 crank arms on their small an XS bikes.
    I'm 5'4 and went with 170mm crank arms on an X5 crankset upgrade and a 60mm raceface turbine stem. Made a huge difference in how well the bike feels like it fits me now.
    Thanks for the suggestion - I didn't even think to look at the crank arms! I'll probably do a 40 or 60 mm stem - I have long legs and crazy short arms, and the 80 that's on there is uncomfortable even riding it around the neighborhood.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by homeslice View Post
    Go with Schrader valve tubes. The sealant seems to act like lock-tite on the nut to open the Presta valve. Not good because the valve core comes out and pressure is lost.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Bluto conversion

For those of you interested in installing a Bluto on your Boris, I emailed Crane Creek and they gave me the part numbers to install the tapered Bluto fork on the Boris.

Thanks for your question. You will need a ZS44 upper assembly and an EC44/40 lower assembly. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Dear Sirs,

I have a Motobecane Boris X9 fat bike. I want to change the fork to a Rock Shox Bluto which is a tapered fork. My Boris has a straight 1 1/8" fork. The headset is a VP-A42E. Do you have a headset or a bottom external bearing that will allow the tapered Bluto to fit?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BENKD29 View Post
    I used Q tubes 24x2.4-2.75. recommended by LBS. they are pretty thick tubes though. next time i do it i will look for a lighter weight tube if it exists in a similar size.
    Attachment 925428
    Take a look at Schwalbe 13F; it was mentioned by Espen W,
    R&D Manager of Diamant & Nakamura bikes, in another fatbike forum. They weigh 185 grams a tube. Espen mentioned they had tested them with 4" missions on one of their bikes. I have a pair waiting to go on my Boris Friday after my wheels get back from being trued along with some 120 tpi Devist-8er 2s. I'm also toying with the idea of using Tyvek as rim strips, also mentioned by Espen in a separate forum post... According to him, they have also tested them, they work great, they weigh 15grams per wheel , compared to the 85 grams a surly rim strip weighs. I bought a set of surlys as back ups.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandmaRedlocks View Post
    Take a look at Schwalbe 13F; it was mentioned by Espen W,
    R&D Manager of Diamant & Nakamura bikes, in another fatbike forum. They weigh 185 grams a tube. Espen mentioned they had tested them with 4" missions on one of their bikes. I have a pair waiting to go on my Boris Friday after my wheels get back from being trued along with some 120 tpi Devist-8er 2s. I'm also toying with the idea of using Tyvek as rim strips, also mentioned by Espen in a separate forum post... According to him, they have also tested them, they work great, they weigh 15grams per wheel , compared to the 85 grams a surly rim strip weighs. I bought a set of surlys as back ups.
    What size tubes did you buy?Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    For those of you interested in installing a Bluto on your Boris, I emailed Crane Creek and they gave me the part numbers to install the tapered Bluto fork on the Boris.
    This is great info, thanks for that. I don't know if I'll get a Bluto but I might get a carbon fork with a tapered steer tube and these part numbers will be the same for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by stacers View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion - I didn't even think to look at the crank arms! I'll probably do a 40 or 60 mm stem - I have long legs and crazy short arms, and the 80 that's on there is uncomfortable even riding it around the neighborhood.
    Your welcome... My husband reminded me tonight another factor in fitting Boris to me was the seatpost... the one that came with my X5 was rear offset ... so we upgraded the seatpost to a Raceface Chester that has a zero offset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mxer View Post
    What size tubes did you buy?Thanks!
    I bought: Schwalbe Bicycle Tube - 40mm Schraeder/Auto (26 x 2.10-3.0 - 40mm Schraeder Valve - AV13F) from BikeSomewhere.com for $13.69 a tube plus s/h.
    Tubes haven't arrived yet, supposed to be here Thursday. Got the Devist-8er 2s though and I'm so excited to get them on... The "Big Adventure" tires that came on my X5 are real skill builders (challenging to ride with self steer, skating on hard pack and absolutely no traction in the corners).

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Anyone upgraded their CroMo fork to a carbon yet?
    The reason I ask is my LBS just offered me a carbon fork for $75 (a Fatboy takeoff). The steerer tube on the carbon is shorter than the CroMo so I lose the spacers ... But I gain back an inch of rise with a handlebar upgrade we're adding next...
    I'm also curious how it changes the feel of the front end.
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by GrandmaRedlocks; 09-23-2014 at 04:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'd assume it will be a few pounds lighter and might soak up more bumps?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I'd assume it will be a few pounds lighter and might soak up more bumps?
    That's what I'm hoping for - some softening in the front and way more weight loss ... My X5 started at 36.5 pounds stock and we've not shaved as much as we thought we would with the upgrades so far (X5 crankset, Deity nylon platforms, WTB Volt seat, Deity seat clamp and an X7 rear derailer). I think we've only lost 3/4 of a pound.
    I'm hoping the big weight savings come later this week with the new tubes and tires, the Chester, a Raceface handlebar and stem, and Deity Enoki grips.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I think a lot of the weight is in the wheels. That's what I've been reading anyways. I'm at about the same weight as you with replacing handlebars stem seatpost and pedals.

mtbr member
    This bike is just a blast to ride, and when I go into a LBS and see fat bikes with prices 2 and 3x more it just makes me feel even happier. Yeah its a bit on the heavy side but its a fat bike, its not meant to win any races, and I actually have more fun riding slow and looking for hills and obstacles to ride over.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I just put some Vee H-Billie tires on my Boris and what a difference it made. Self-steer is completely gone, I have all the traction I need on the trails, and I feel much more confident leaning it over while carving the corners. I can't compare it to anything other than the crappy Vee 8's that came on it but it's like a new bike. And they are also lighter for sure, gonna weigh one of each to see what the difference is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris sky View Post
    Boris X7 with a few upgrades, after my second ride.

What fenders are those? I'm planning on getting a Boris for my winter commute (probably an X9 but not 100% yet) and would love fenders.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    For clip on fenders check out the Portland design mud shovels, they easily cover 4 inch plus tires

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pxpaulx View Post
    For clip on fenders check out the Portland design mud shovels, they easily cover 4 inch plus tires
    Thanks. First I have to wait for my insurance check from my bike that was just stolen (State Farm pays replacement cost not actual cost).

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by smccloud View Post
    What fenders are those? I'm planning on getting a Boris for my winter commute (probably an X9 but not 100% yet) and would love fenders.
    Sks Grand M.O.M. and Grand D.A.D..

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Big Difference between X7 and X9? Love the orange on the X7
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

mtbr member
    I was going to go for the X9, but I'll be ordering an X7 soon instead. Just trying to decide between a 17 & 19 (6' 1/2", 32" inseam).

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My friend is 6'4 and he rode my 17..He would need an extra long seat post to be comfortable, and with the 40mm stem I have he'd probably have to go out to 80 or 100. It depends on your riding style. I'm 5'8 and ride a 17 just fine. Compare the geo chart of a bike that fits you to the 17 and 19 to give yourself an idea for fit.

mtbr member
    According the the 27FIVE G1, I need a 19 w/ a standover height of 31". I am thinking the 19 in both would be fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by smccloud View Post
    I was going to go for the X9, but I'll be ordering an X7 soon instead. Just trying to decide between a 17 & 19 (6' 1/2", 32" inseam).
    I'm 5' 8" with a 31" inseam. My M17 X9 fits me perfect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My other friend who bought the g1 is like 5'11 and has the 19 and it fits him fine. I think you'll be fine on that, his seat post is about half a foot out, there's room to go a few inches higher.

mtbr member
    Hello,
    Im 6'3" 34 inseam. I bought the 21" x7. Allows for a shorter seat post sticking out.
    Rides great and with a short 60mm front stem it fit perfectly. The 21" rides very upright and is comfortable.
    Then i bought a dropper seat post. A 5" dropper at full extension is almost too long.
    In hindsight having purchased a Reverb seat post, i would have taken a 19". The 19" would have also been a little easier to whip around i guess.
    Good luck

mtbr member
    So a 19" G1 & a 17" X7, only due to the Boris being my winter commuter bike. Had to drop down from the X9 because I'm getting slightly less from insurance than I thought, oh well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    6'2 with 34 and will go with 21!!
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    at 6' you might want to go with a 19 and tryout the bike with stock parts before changing components. I'm 5'9 and 31inseam but knuckledragger arms and the 17 feel was slightly small at a 70mm stem change. at a 19 size frame you can shave off length with a smaller stem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Guys, I still have not seen a good answer as to what might fit the Boris X7 as far as tires sizes. I have noticed that the Vee 8 tires that are currently on the bike are pretty wide as compared to Vee Snowshoe 4.7, and taller. Is there a huge difference between a Vee 8, a Vee 4.5, the Vee 4.7, and a Vee 4.8 XL? Do you guys think the Vee Snowshoe 4.8 XL will fir the rear?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I think i read somewhere that you'll have some chain rub with the 4.8. The 4.7 really fits like a 4 apparently.

mtbr member
    Are studded tires really worth it on a fat bike? I will mostly be using mine for commuting during the MN winters.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you're on ice, yes. In the snow, no.

mtbr member
    There will be both, part of my ride takes me on a bridge over the Mississippi river.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    What about the 4.5 Vee Snowshoes that come with the Lurch? Are they just bigger on the sidewalls than the Vee 8 4.0 tires, or wider? I am confused of why a Vee Snowshoe 4.7 is the same as a Vee 4.0, and they also a Vee 4.5 that is bigger than the 4.7? Any thoughts on this confusion?

mtbr member
    on the 85mm rims my vee8 4" have 1/2" clearance each side in the front about the same in the rear. These tires are really 102mm or 4" wide at fattest.
    However the rear has only about 1/4"or 102mm clearance from the chain with gears at large-large.
    That is with 2 spacers up front on the race face race crank.
    So larger is cake up front, but watch the rear for chain issues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I don't know why the 4.7 isn't 4.7 other than they messed up or only with a specific rim size maybe I don't know.. But that's what I've read. If you Google it you can see people measuring them and they look about 4". I don't know about the 4.5 but you can Google it and find out what others have said about it

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just ordered my X9 this afternoon and its supposed to ship today still, WooHoo!!!
    my question is what is the largest rim and tire the x9 can handle??

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I just put the Vee H-Billie 4.25's on my X7. They honestly don't look any wider than the V8's did on the bike but I did not do a real measurement. I did weigh them both though. I also put some Q-Tubes Superlight tubes on at the same time. The stock tire/tube combo weighed 4lb 12oz. The new combo weighs 3lb 8oz. So basically I dropped 2.5 pounds and gained a huge amount of grip.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Damn... I am afraid now to even try experimenting with buying bigger tires with the fear that it will hit the chain stay in the rear. I never thought about manufactures misleading the true size of their tires. I am thinking now of putting a Vee H-Billie in the rear, and a Vee Snowshoe XL 4.8 in the front. I wonder how corny it will look, but what the heck. I am trying to find online any noticeable difference between the Vee 8, and the Vee H-Billie. It makes me wonder if the H-Billie is the size of below a 4.0, like the way the Vee 4.7 is the same size as a 4.0.

mtbr member
    Would someone that has the small 15" frame kindly take a standover height measurement? I'm trying to figure out if this will fit my son in 2nd grade (I know its a stretch, but he's tall and has pretty good bike skills). Since my Lurch arrived, he's talked about nothing else, and it would be awesome to get in snow rides with him.

mtbr member

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    Would someone that has the small 15" frame kindly take a standover height measurement? I'm trying to figure out if this will fit my son in 2nd grade (I know its a stretch, but he's tall and has pretty good bike skills). Since my Lurch arrived, he's talked about nothing else, and it would be awesome to get in snow rides with him.
    This may be blasphemy, but Wal-mart now has a child size fat bike or bso (bike shaped object).

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast