Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    for a frame pack I'm thinking about picking up one of these, kinda like the tube vs full frame bag (although their frame pack is well priced too).

Porta-Pack: Sport Rack Pack, Bike Storage Pack. Providing storage traditional packs do not, water resistant and made from heavy duty Cordura. Made in the USA.

mtbr member
    Yeah, i like the frame pack as well. I carry a battery for my light system. plus a couple tools, maybe phone, etc.
    I figured cheap to try one out..lol
    thanks for tip,
    scott

mtbr member
    I'm new here. My x9 showed up last week. It was waiting for me at UPS will call while I was away at the beach.

I'm really happy with this bike. It was hard buying it without riding it first but it fits very well. The medium fits my 6' frame perfectly. I was on the edge of sizes but went with the smaller size because I prefer being able to toss it around more. You can't take the BMX out of me.

The mission tires work awesome for riding in the NJ Pine Barrens. I did notice the self steer issue on pavement during the ride to the forest with less than 10 psi in the front tire. Once you hit the sandy trails, that turns into gobs of traction. At higher pressure (14-15) on the street it is non existant and I didn't loose much traction off road. It rolled a bit easier and felt nicely neutral also. Rode it 50 miles yesterday, half on road half off. I can't remember the last time I rode 5 hours.

I ordered this bike while suffering nicotine withdrawal. It is my reward to myself. 29 years up to 2 packs a day quit cold turkey

mtbr member
    congrats! Nice bike and quitting smoking will keep you around a long time. My wife quit 2 years ago.

mtbr member

Boris report....

Congrats. On the bike and stopping smoking!

Sent from magic wish granting phone

mtbr member
    Great job on quitting smoking! The bike is a great reward, plus you can ride longer now!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Anyone know if the freehub is upgradable on the Boris?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I just got back from a 8 mile ride in the muck, I put 10 psi in the tires and it's a different beast, it is much harder to steer, on the big hills I was not getting super traction but that's more on the tires than anything else, those will be my first big upgrade. Should I go bud/Lou ? Or are there cheaper and better alternatives, this will also serve as my snow bike.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member

Boris report....

What psi were you running before? I run a bit lower in the dry climate... 8 front and 10 rear with my floaters. I have all the traction I could hope for.. Then again I'm a large (girth) person....
    Can't compare them to the missions as I pulled them off first thing to replace due to the poor reviews.
    On-one floaters are cheaper 75 each for black and ya have the option for some colors as well if you prefer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcksqrl View Post
    What psi were you running before? I run a bit lower in the dry climate... 8 front and 10 rear with my floaters. I have all the traction I could hope for.. Then again I'm a large (girth) person....
    Can't compare them to the missions as I pulled them off first thing to replace due to the poor reviews.
    On-one floaters are cheaper 75 each for black and ya have the option for some colors as well if you prefer.

The ride before it was much dryer out so I was running close to 20 psi but found that to feel way to bumpy going over roots and rocks.

Where did you get the On-one floaters at?
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member

Boris report....

www.Planet-x-usa.com
    is the usa distributer.
    Psi I'm running at works fine but if I go any lower it gets squirrelly on the corners...... Sure it has extra rolling resistance but if I were worried about that I'd be a roadie. My tires and bike make me smile, sweat but rarely curse! (That comes naturally)

mtbr member
    This might of been said already but what is the biggest size tire that will fit on a boris?
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    This might of been said already but what is the biggest size tire that will fit on a boris?
    motobecane web site says 4.5" maybe larger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radnur22 View Post
    motobecane web site says 4.5" maybe larger.
    Ok thanks, then a Bud/Lou may not fit then. There 4.8
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member

more of the "orange Crush" 21"

Boris report....-20140904_135646.jpgBoris report....-20140904_135729.jpgBoris report....-20140904_135701.jpgmore pics..new large frame bag, this is on a 21 frame. Bag is:
    Amazon.com : Ibera Bicycle Triangle Frame Bag : Sports & Outdoors

Pics of new wellgo replaceable pin pedals in blue. $16.99 ebay

pic of headset bottlecap holder from niner. Have to get a bottle cap from my favorite root beer tonight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I like your cable color choice! That looks pretty sweet. My friend is on the taller side, just curious what your height is and what size frame and what you think of it.

mtbr member
    6' 3" 34" inseam. I think i could have used a 19" as well but i like the look of the taller frame. No issues on top tube clearance, and the reach with the 60mm stem is fine.
    I bet that bag would look even cooler on a 19". But is looks like it was made for mine, with the orange accents.
    Always liked wellgo mg1 ones and these are new with removable pins and in blue..yay!
    Wellgo Platform Pedals LU313 with Replacable Pins 9 16 Blue BMX MTB | eBay

mtbr member
    By the way, it looks like i'm always posting stuff to buy..lol.
    It's just that it has been really fun to have this bike and deck it out.
    I feel like it's my first bike all over again...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I love accessorizing a new bike.. Whether I'm building one or buying one. I'm still deciding on little stuff like if I need a bash guard. I threw a 32t chainring I had laying around on mine to see if I will have to shift the front derailleur less for climbs and sand. So far so good. I don't mind having it there in case I need it but I don't really plan on going too fast on the road so the 36 was a little tall. Gonna build another bd bike for my friend tomorrow and then hit the trails.

mtbr member
    How come when you bring up you own a motobecane- and how you like it, they roll there eyes? Does one need to drop 2 grand on a bike for it to be considered good? I say this because someone did this to me in a different Fatboy thread
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I imagine that they're somewhat lacking in self confidence or in some physical attribute or they never let go of mama.

How come when you bring up you own a motobecane- and how you like it, they roll there eyes? Does one need to drop 2 grand on a bike for it to be considered good? I say this because someone did this to me in a different Fatboy thread

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Good for them - who gives a crap! We're the ones that could buy a 2nd bike and still be ahead of them at the bank!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pxpaulx View Post
    We're the ones that could buy a 2nd bike and still be ahead of them at the bank!
    2nd ... 3rd ... or 5th bike and have plenty left over to customize to our delight!
    (Bu hubby said I need to sell one of my bikes to buy my Boris ... So my ole purple beach cruiser went on CL as soon as I hit the purchase button on BD).

mtbr member
    Hmm.. a Boris, a Lurch and a Bluto ..all for about the price of one of theirs.
    It's apples and oranges, my Boris is great and I am really enjoying it. My local bike guy just bought a KHS 4 season. He saw mine and wonders how they can sell it so low. He didn't belittle me at all. As a KHS retailer he got a good deal and it promotes what he sells.
    I Own a Honda Valkyrie and if i meet some Harley owners, well you know the drill.
    A cult of personality is just that, a group of people loyal to the extreme.
    Enjoy your bike and with the numbers of these "Bd's" being sold, I'm sure you will not be in the minority for long.

mtbr member

Boris report....

Saw another Boris on the trail Wednesday, initial ride for new owner. X7, love the flat paint they used! Prefer it over the shiny black on the x9. V8 tires looked ok for most trails but sure looked like they rolled smooth! I love the fact that they have made it affordable to own a fat bike! I was skeptical but went out and ordered once initial reviews of the fb4 came through and am loving life.
    It's all about what makes you happy. Ford/chevy... Jeep/toyota... It's Like I've always been told.... "Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one"

mtbr member
    Well... On these forums, for everyone that makes fun of Bikes Direct/Motobecane there is usually someone else making fun of Specialized (Special-Ed...) or Trek, etc.

Buy the bike you like and what works for your budget. That's your business - not anyone else's.

FWIW - I took a long and hard look @ the Motobecane Fat Bikes. I decided to go another route for a multitude of reasons but have been enjoying the pics from peeps brand new Boris and Lurch bikes. Enjoy your rides!
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've never seen any of this on the trails, just on the forums and in the lbs. And that's fine, thats where elitism works. At the lbs, they're trying to shame me into buying at retail prices so they make money. Makes sense. That's why I don't go to the lbs. On the forum it's just somebody trying to justify the price they were suckered into paying at the elitist lbs. And that's cool too, whatever let's you sleep at night. Everyone is going to have an opinion, but sometimes they probably shouldn't express it cause it makes them look like an *******.

aka bOb
    Just for the record It had nothing to do with a BD bike it had to do with your reverse bike snob comment. You get defensive when you think someone is talking down your bike but it's OK to talk down ours?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Usually the issues start when the comparisons start. For instance/ this bike is half the price , why would you spend double. A lot of peeps won't let that slide and wouldn't ride a BD if you gave it to them. They are generally not well accepted on MTBR. The key is just enjoy your bike

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    Usually the issues start when the comparisons start. For instance/ this bike is half the price , why would you spend double. A lot of peeps won't let that slide and wouldn't ride a BD if you gave it to them. They are generally not well accepted on MTBR. The key is just enjoy your bike
    Well said!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Back on track....after reading the threads on the Bluto, I may have to save my dollars and upgrade my Boris X9 with a Bluto. Sucks that I am on call this weekend, no riding for me. Anyway, I'll re-route my shifter cable, change out my front rotor, dream about a Bluto and maybe convert to tubeless via split tube.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    A quick note - ordered mine last Friday, received today - one week later. Got the silver X9 in a 19 inch. Very nice out of the box, but the front derailleur cable was mis-routed ( easy fix), the forks were bent. I noticed the remnants of the plastic shipping fork thingy was in the bottom of the box all broken, so the bike shifted during shipping and one side of the fork appeared to take the brunt of it. Emailed BD, we will see .
    Shifting, brakes, frame are excellent. Stem , seatpost, bars Ok. Seat comfy but a bit on the heavy side. Pedals OK for now if you ride flats - but not the smoothest bearings.
    Completely Stock bike weighed 36.4 lbs (lg) with pedals. Still rideable with tweaked forks, but hopefully BD will send some new forks as in a previous case.
    The Front and rear derailleur needed some tweaking but they were not far off. Test ride on street was good- rolls like a semi! On the trails soon when I get a straight fork and some sealant in the tubes.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My stock X9 came in today at 36.4 - that is with pedals assembled, no sealant in the stock tubes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: Boris report....

I re-rerouted my rear derailleur cable off the cable holder on the right side to get rid of the hard bend and zip tied it to the brake cable holder, and now it's not bent and should be fine like that long term. I wish they put one on that side because having the cable going down the same side it starts is annoyingly ugly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yzfvet View Post
    My stock X9 came in today at 36.4 - that is with pedals assembled, no sealant in the stock tubes.
    Can you weigh the bike with out the wheels on?
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member

Boris X7 with a few upgrades, after my second ride.

mtbr member

Boris report....

As it should look!

mtbr member
    What tires are those?
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member

Boris report....

What tires are those?
    Vee rubber Vee8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just put on some origin 8 Devist8ers that my lbs hooked me up with.. Gonna ride them tomorrow. They are the folding bead version and aren't too heavy. You awkward a size to weigh on my scale though

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Oh and another pic just cause I love white

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

tubeless

No riding except on my 3.4 acres due to call Anyway, went to change the warped front rotor but they sent me a Tektro 160mm when my X9 takes an Avid 180mm. So no luck there. However, I went tubeless with my home brew. Quite the leak, but it sealed. It was right at the seam of the rim. The other side wasn't as bad.

Boris report....-tubeless.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Looks like your reflector is trying to bail out

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    Looks like your reflector is trying to bail out

Yea, it was making a vibrating noise so that was my field expedient repair.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    so today i installed a new handlebar and grips, and re routed the cables so they are on the proper sides. got it all back together, and now i have some bad creaking coming from the front tire. it definitely sound like the spokes, as it is almost like a raking sound, as if something was sticking in them (like a kid with a baseball card). also, it is only happening when the wheel/bike is turned to the right. any thoughts on what it might be? mayb e i should grease the skewer a little bit? it is not the brake, there is no noise when i am not on it. also, it isnt in the pedals as the noise occurs whether pedaling or not.

thanks in advance!

oh, here is the almost finished upgrades!

Boris report....-20140906_161004.jpg

mtbr member

Boris report....

Noise is the brake rotor rubbing.

At least mine was!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

At least mine was!

not in my case, like i said it only happens when turning right, no noise when tye wheel is spun when i am off the bike...i will double check in the morning though!

mtbr member

Boris report....

Mine only rubbed when turned right as well. Worse with weight on bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Mine only rubbed when turned right as well. Worse with weight on bike.

will definitely give that a closer look then, maybe need to readjust the brake with all the work i did.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    not in my case, like i said it only happens when turning right, no noise when tye wheel is spun when i am off the bike...i will double check in the morning though!
    Try my field expedient repair

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    so today i installed a new handlebar and grips, and re routed the cables so they are on the proper sides. got it all back together, and now i have some bad creaking coming from the front tire. it definitely sound like the spokes, as it is almost like a raking sound, as if something was sticking in them (like a kid with a baseball card). also, it is only happening when the wheel/bike is turned to the right. any thoughts on what it might be? mayb e i should grease the skewer a little bit? it is not the brake, there is no noise when i am not on it. also, it isnt in the pedals as the noise occurs whether pedaling or not.

thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140906_161004.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	921477
    Nice handlebars! Where did you get them? What width?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    closeout at nashbar, they are 710mm witha 1 inch rise. surprised at just how much of a difference such small dimensions make! coupled with the 40mm hussefelt stem it all makes a much nicer just slightly more upright riding position.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The fork is steel and bends.. Maybe it bends enough for the pads to rub?

Last edited by ou2mame; 09-07-2014 at 08:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Boris x7

Boris report....-overheating-005.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    somehow my Boris large is lighter than the others reported? it came in at a little over 33 lbs . this is one of the first ones they sent and it did not come with pedals so the weight does not include pedals, bottle cages etc but does include everything else. I have 6 other bikes and the park tool scale is accurate on everything....weird.

I bought it primarily for trips to the beach...hated it at 5-6lbs (way too spongy), feels great at 12ish on packed sand. I love this bike! I have put on a specialized avatar saddle, ergon cork grips and everything else is stock. I will convert to 1 x10 in the future.....I am sure the sand will wear everything out fast. the removable chain is great

anyone know what bottom bracket this takes?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boris report....-img_4958.jpg  

Boris report....-img_4273.jpg  

Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

At least mine was!

I reset the brake pad and it was a no fix, but....it was the brake rotor! I didn't have the wheel on draught in the dropouts apparently. I noticed the rotor was rubbing on one of the bolts that held the brake housing to the fork. Reseated the housing and problem fixed!

mtbr member

I reset the brake pad and it was a no fix, but....it was the brake rotor! I didn't have the wheel on draught in the dropouts apparently. I noticed the rotor was rubbing on one of the bolts that held the brake housing to the fork. Reseated the housing and problem fixed!
    The bolts for my front brake bracket were to long. I noticed before installing the wheel and ended up installing a couple of thicker washers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris sky View Post
    The bolts for my front brake bracket were to long. I noticed before installing the wheel and ended up installing a couple of thicker washers.
    That is exactly what it was - they both stick out about a millimeter, maybe 1.5 - I'll have to stick a couple washers on as well, that'll make a better permanent solution.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So a Boris will take a Bluto?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Often times the skewer needs to be tightened up.

thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140906_161004.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	921477

mtbr member
    I did my first long ride today (17.3 miles) over dry conditions, lots of rocks and roots, I started the day at 15 psi but it was way to harsh, decided to drop it to 10psi and it made a huge difference, probably could of let more out but decided not to. This bike is way to heavy to think about a 1x10 set up IMO that granny gear comes in handy during long steep climbs.

I personally think this bike would benefit greatly with a suspension fork, Some of the sections I run rather fast on with my 29er I had to slow it down due to how much I was bouncing around and I did not want to fly off the trail. It was a really good work out and im sure it will only make me faster the next time I ride the Camber.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Added one of these yesterday made locally.
    YAWYD Top Cap
    I use a cap top from:
    Name:  orangedream.jpg
Views: 8969
Size:  8.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by brassos; 09-07-2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: forgot image

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
    So a Boris will take a Bluto?
    It should with this external bearing for tapered Bluto.

Crane Creek bottom assembly

I think Inset 7 should work.

Chris King headsets

mtbr member
    May 2010

I personally think this bike would benefit greatly with a suspension fork, Some of the sections I run rather fast on with my 29er I had to slow it down due to how much I was bouncing around and I did not want to fly off the trail. It was a really good work out and im sure it will only make me faster the next time I ride the Camber.
    Well, it is still rigid, for sure. My other bike is a rigid 29er and the Boris is a couch in comparison. Going downhill of course. Up - it makes it up more, but not faster. Fun and function over speed.

mtbr member

Boris report....

Swapped the Atlas bars for Mary bars. The Atlas bars had my hands going numb. We'll see how the Mary bars do. Cleaned, regreased, and adjusted the front hub. Whatever was used to grease the hubs felt like it had grit in it.

At 12psi I don't have the super soft cushion (still soft though)on the trail, but the self steer is almost gone on pavement and pretty much nonexistent on the trail. I'm eventually going to swap the Vee8s for Floaters, I think. They don't hook up very well in the soft stuff. My last ride had the rear lose grip at some inopportune times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    That is exactly what it was - they both stick out about a millimeter, maybe 1.5 - I'll have to stick a couple washers on as well, that'll make a better permanent solution.
    I had that annoying rub all ride long, which bolts need more washers? The ones holding the caliber or the actual bracket?
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I had that annoying rub all ride long, which bolts need more washers? The ones holding the caliber or the actual bracket?
    The bolts that hold the brake itself to the fork.

mtbr member

The bracket.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Has anyone installed 4.7" tires on their Boris?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Boris report....

Quote Originally Posted by radnur22 View Post
    It should with this external bearing for tapered Bluto.

Crane Creek bottom assembly

I think Inset 7 should work.

Chris King headsets
    I've been looking at that same setup. Might have to chase the head tube a bit as I think those cups sit in a little deeper.

mtbr member
    I forgot to mention I got a lot of complements on the bike, One guy even asked if he could sit on it and ride it, I was like sure. Then I told him the price and he was blown away. He said for that price you could throw another 600 bucks into and have a really great bike that still cost less than other fatbikes on the market, I said sure, or you could be cheap like me and leave it alone and just have fun with it....lol
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I had the top of the pad rubbing the disc, so I dremeled off the paint off the fork under the caliper bracket and that made it a little better. I dunno if it's the caliper or the fork. I'm probably going to put some hydraulics on it. What's a good budget hydraulic setup? I don't want to do xts or anything, just something functional. I was looking at the various shimanos and dracos. I'd rather go with a mineral oil setup, but there are so many models of shimano.. I have a set of bb7s but they need pads, maybe I'll just do that for now.

Last edited by ou2mame; 09-08-2014 at 11:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I had the top of the pad rubbing the disc, so I dremeled off the paint off the fork under the caliper bracket and that made it a little better. I dunno if it's the caliper or the fork. I'm probably going to put some hydraulics on it. What's a good budget hydraulic setup? I don't want to do xts or anything, just something functional. I was looking at the various shimanos and dracos. I'd rather go with a mineral oil setup, but there are so many models of shimano.. I have a set of bb7s but they need pads, maybe I'll just do that for now.

I've been using shimano m486 hydros on my main bike for a few years. They're hydros, they work, i've had no major problems with them. The shimano pads and rotors aren't great, can't use metallic pads. I swapped to avid rotors, world of a difference. They tend to misalign easy when removing and reinstalling wheels. I use bb7s on another bike, and they simply can't be beat for the price. Way easier to adjust and deal with. I would take bb7s over budget hydros any day.
    Suspension and gears are the bastion of the proletariat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah I was looking at the m446 for 85 bucks. I love the bb7s, they are the best brakes I've ever used but I figured the hydraulics would have more stopping power and I was curious about them anyways.

mtbr member
    Shimano 615s can be had for less than $100 per set on ebay. I'm running 596s on the Boris and 615s on my Krampus. Both were had for less than I would have paid for bb7s with levers. I picked up the 596s at Chain Reaction. Invest in a decent bleed kit for the Shimanos.
    I prefer my hydros over bb7s for personal reasons like adjustment and feel. I was always busy fiddling with the bb7s.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have Avid DB3 on one bike and Shimano 615 on two others - the 615 are way better and only a few $$ more. I have a set of SLX M675 to go on my new build - not sure if they are better than the 615, but the cooling fins of the brake pads look sweet. The Deore 615 and SLX M675 look very close to the same brake. I do not have a scale but they are very close to the same weight.

mtbr member
    Hi all,

Has anyone gotten a back rack to fit on their x7? A normal, non-disc brake topeak rack supposedly fits on my fb4, but my husband just got his x7 yesterday, and it looks as if the only rack that will fit is one specifically made to accommodate disc brakes. Anyone tried yet? Since we have to order online, it makes it difficult. Or maybe a 29er rack would even be better? Thanks!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
    I have Avid DB3 on one bike and Shimano 615 on two others - the 615 are way better and only a few $$ more. I have a set of SLX M675 to go on my new build - not sure if they are better than the 615, but the cooling fins of the brake pads look sweet. The Deore 615 and SLX M675 look very close to the same brake. I do not have a scale but they are very close to the same weight.
    You can run the ice tech pads in tge 615s, if I'm not mistaken.

mtbr member

Mary bars are a mega improvement. Swapped out the stock seat for a Wtb Volt and reversed the rear tire tread. I'm getting more straight line traction, but it still washes out in curves and riding parallel on hills.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the pics and updates everybody. I am seriously considering selling my sweet steel HT to get a fatbike. I'm undecided between Boris and Lurch. Both look awesome, and I don't think either choice would be a bad one.

Has anyone seen the X7 in "ocean blue" yet? I'd really like a blue one, but the X5 in my hands will end up getting money thrown at it. X7 is closer to where I want it out of the gate... Love to see a pic of the blue X7 if anyone has one?

Still summer, but we just got 12cm of snow and more on the way tonight... How many ways do I need to justify a fat bike? Lol.

Cheers all!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have the x5 and love it.. Bars and stem I'd change on pretty much any bike, a 32t chainring that I had laying around, and some tires more geared towards dirt and snow. The missions, I've read a lot of reviews, and they say eh pretty much. The tread isn't deep enough for me. Brakes, I have a set of bb5s I refuse to put on anything they were pretty terrible so I'm gonna do bb7s or hydros. If they made the x9 in pearl white I may have gone that road, but the marginal upgrades of the x7 don't do it for me because I'd do every change differently anyways. Plus the Pearl white looks awesome.

Basically if I spent the extra 100, I'd replace the tires, brakes, and the only thing I'd have is an extra gear in the back. But yeah, it depends on what your plans are. The best value is going to be what's best for you, but i wouldn't discount the x5, it's as solid of a setup as the x7 in lot ways.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsukuni View Post

Still summer, but we just got 12cm of snow and more on the way tonight...

Cheers all!
    WTH are you located?!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris sky View Post
    You can run the ice tech pads in tge 615s, if I'm not mistaken.
    Yes you can - I got the SLX thinking they were "better" but they are almost the same (and the same can be said for the SLX vs the XT).The 615 have never left me feeling I need more power. The only big difference is the pads are held in by a cotter pin instead of a screw. Lots of older brakes ran that way without issue. I suppose I could probably tap the hole. LOL.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My Boris arrived yesterday morning and my husband (a self proclaimed recovering perfectionist and lifetime cyclist) spent 6 hours carefully disassembling and rebuilding Boris ... This is his "Boris Report" based on his build experience ...

WHEELS
    The wheel bearings in both hubs required adjustment (a slight loosening) to feel relatively smooth. The rubber grease seal on the rear hub, the non-drive side, needed to be fully seated. The rims on both wheels will need to be trued, with the rear being significantly out of round (ovalized) by 5mm, the front about 3mm. Also, the lock ring on the cassette was only partially tightened (I noticed this in the process of removing the spoke protector behind the cassette) and the rear QR skewer slightly bent (it scrapes inside the axle tube when being inserted -- it'll be replaced in the near future). We're running 7psi front and 10psi rear as a starting point.

DERAILLEURS
    Both derailleurs required adjustment, the front to align/position it relative to the chainrings and set the limit screws to avoid chain rub in the 22-34 and 36-11 ring/cog combinations. The limit screws on the rear derailleur were also incorrectly set, potentially allowing a shift past the 34 and 11 cogs on the cassette. Both derailleur cables were rerouted to arc to the outside of the headset as they approach the trigger shifters. All cables were re-secured with 4-inch zip ties replacing the snap-on/off clips that come with the bike and all cable ends were trimmed (e.g., the front derailleur cable end ticked against the right crank arm) and re-capped using shrink-wrap tubing. Shifting is excellent.

BRAKES
    The rear brake was shimmed with stainless washers between the chainstay brake mount and the brake adapter, allowing enough free play for proper pad/disc alignment. Given that only the outer pad of the Tektro Novelas moves, the brakes were aligned such that the rotor was just barely away from the inside, non-moving pad. This contradicts Tektro's alignment instructions, which if followed, forces the rotor to constantly flex under braking as it passes through the caliper. Brake performance after adjustment and bedding-in is reasonable for mechanical discs on a heavy bike.

MISCELLANEOUS
    One of the pedals required a bearing adjustment to be able to rotate freely. Don't overlook the crankarm pedal washers (in a separate small bag) when installing the pedals. Also don't assume the headset is properly adjusted before tightening the stem in place -- ours wasn't. The bottom bracket has a fair bit of stiction in the bearings (not adjustable). Finally, the seatpost collar/clamp is a bit wimpy -- allowing the seat to rotate after tightening -- and clumsy to use; it's already been replaced with a non-lever collar from Deity.

OTHER OBSERVATIONS
    The frame design and build is impressive, although there is one pinhole (rust opportunity) in a dropout weld. The paint (and branding) looks good, although the paint chipped easily when the rear brake was shimmed and the aftermarket seatpost collar was installed. Note that there is no protection on the right chainstay; a Lizard Skins "Jumbo 29er" Chainstay Guard worked nicely.

I would have preferred a seatpost without a seat clamp offset to the rear, given the small (15") frame size with a long-ish front-center. More importantly, the bike was delivered with 175mm crankarms; in my opinion a bike of this size should come with 170mm crankarms. A 170mm X5 crankset thus becomes the first upgrade.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I had a lot of the issues you guys did, minus the cranks being stiff and the wheel hub. I think a lot of that is to be expected from a shipped bicycle. Having to tune it, adjust the headset, things like that are pretty normal to see. They can't sit there and tune the bikes and everything just to disassemble and ship them out, so that's just part of the assembly. I tightened the spokes some and took it for a ride and got rid of the oval, and then trued the wobbles the best I could. I'm not very good at wheels I usually bring them to my dad for that, but I'm getting better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That's what hubby said too... How we get them is probably how bikes shipped from overseas come into an LBS ...
    Wheels are off to Sugar Wheel Works to get trued ... Hubby trues our road and mt bike wheels when they need it, but he wanted Sugar to do these.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The cranks should spin free though, drag isn't good. I would contact bd about that.

mtbr member
    LOL... Just outside Calgary. We'll be back to mid 20's Celsius by next week - freak snowstorm - but it's a reminder of what's coming...

You make a good point on the X5. I'll probably be switching to hydraulic brakes regardless... Maybe I need to do more number crunching. That cobalt frame is sweet IMHO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Went for a ride today.. Climbing rooted sandy areas is so much easier, but downhill bumpy areas are pretty tough. I haven't ridden a rigid bike in forever and this season I built an fs no less.. But it was still fun and I'll be back there tomorrow

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Update-BD did well and offered reasonable credit for the bent forks. ( they did not have any in stock to send) I ordered a salsa enabler to replace which will be here tomorrow. The stock fork weighs 3.2 lbs so I figure about 2/3 of a lb weight savings right there.

BB7s are excellent, one of the main reasons I went for the x9. Added 8 oz of slime to each tire w/surly light tubes. Waiting on a 70mm stem and this thing is ready for anything! Grease up your headset bearings-especially after 3 mos or so as they come a bit lite there. Bottom does not seal all that well either so something to keep an eye on.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Sorry I don't weigh it, ( or ride it ) without wheels or pedals. The wheels and tires are naturally heavy. The fork is too, for a rigid. 3.2 lbs. The frame,bars,stem are average. Seat is on the heavy side, but I swapped that out. I added a lb with the slime, but saved about the same with the fork/ stem/seat.

mtbr member
    Just finished the split tire method tubeless.. Used 3.5' sill foam cut to fit the gap below the bead edges. wrapped twice. Split a q-tube 26 x 2.1-2.4 and placed over foam and rim strip. The foam is the secret...
    Aired up fine with a floor pump. Bounced them around a few times , took out air and added Stan's. Re-inflated and they are great.
    Will ride em around the neighborhood a bit.

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yzfvet View Post
    Update-BD did well and offered reasonable credit for the bent forks. ( they did not have any in stock to send) I ordered a salsa enabler to replace which will be here tomorrow. The stock fork weighs 3.2 lbs so I figure about 2/3 of a lb weight savings right there.
    How bad was your bent fork(s)? I'm settling an issue with Bikes Direct over a dented fork during shipment.
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

mtbr member
    Has anyone ordered the x9 in silver? Any pictures?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What rear racks are people using or planning to use on their Boris's?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If I use one it will be a seat post mounted one so I can remove it easily

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brassos View Post
    Just finished the split tire method tubeless.. Used 3.5' sill foam cut to fit the gap below the bead edges. wrapped twice. Split a q-tube 26 x 2.1-2.4 and placed over foam and rim strip. The foam is the secret...
    Aired up fine with a floor pump. Bounced them around a few times , took out air and added Stan's. Re-inflated and they are great.
    Will ride em around the neighborhood a bit.
    Without the foam, it takes forever with an air compressor to seat the tires. Here is my attempt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I would run tubeless but i want to be able to change tires

mtbr member
    I would run tubeless but i want to be able to change tires

Changing tires was easy. I have about 1/2 " of cut tube over each rim side. Drop air, pop off tire and replace.
    How do I know? I accidentally put the front tire on backwards. Took it off flipped it and floor pumped it back up.
    The excess tube stays tight against the sidewall. Looks like part of the tire.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Are Boris front hubs, front disc spaced or rear disc spaced?

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast