Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    The only problem I keep having is having to tighten the head tube after every ride.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: Boris report....

Got mine today and threw it together in such a rush lol.. Went for a ride. It's pretty awesome. Pearl white looks amazing in the sun. It's got some metallic flake in it, it really glistens.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Boris report....

My large weighs 36lbs. Here is a quick shot from the trail today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I got my new front rotor today! Great customer service!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Does anyone with an x5 9 speed have a 10 speed front derailleur? I'm having a hard time making it go through all the gears without rub and I just noticed it says 2x10.. I looked on the page and yeah that's what it comes with. I had to widen the cage a tad to get no chain rub on 1st and 9th.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by radnur22 View Post
    Got the Boris X9 in this morning. Box was intact and all parts accounted for. Assembled the bike with a couple issues. The front derailleur cable was routed on the left side of the steer tube, should have been on the right. Not a big deal, I'll re-route it went the weather sucks and I can't ride. It appears the front rotor is slightly warped. I'll email BD regarding the rotor. Pictures to follow, I got to get it on the trail first!! Overall, very pleased with the purchase.
    Just curious, why would you need to wait until you can't ride to do the re-route? Looks like a simple task that would take a few minutes to do: remove grip, unbolt derailleur from handlebar and route cable to the correct side, re-bolt derailleur, reinstall grip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm not too happy with the cable routing on this frame.. It could be more neat and thought out

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Boris report....

With the x7 shifter the clamp and shifter are separate. To re route simply remove the shifter from the clamp re-route them re-attach no need to remove the derailleur. Should take less than 5 minutes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowBound View Post
    Just curious, why would you need to wait until you can't ride to do the re-route? Looks like a simple task that would take a few minutes to do: remove grip, unbolt derailleur from handlebar and route cable to the correct side, re-bolt derailleur, reinstall grip.
    It's all about time.

Quote Originally Posted by fastpunk View Post
    With the x7 shifter the clamp and shifter are separate. To re route simply remove the shifter from the clamp re-route them re-attach no need to remove the derailleur. Should take less than 5 minutes.
    fastpunk, thanks for the info! I am still going to wait until next weekend to re-route the shifter and change the rotor. I am on-call for work and can't ride due to response times.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    For those concerned with sizing: I am 5' 8", with an inseam of 31". I vacillated between the 15M and the 17M, initially ordering a 15M, then changed to a 17M, then had second thoughts on the 17M. The 17M fits me great. It provides a more upright riding position, which I prefer and stand-over is perfect, just like my medium Specialized Camber 29er.

mtbr member

Boris report....

For front derailleur issues you need to check that it didn't get sent mounted a little cockeyed. My daughters X-7 was not lined up perfectly and was sitting too low (in relation to large ring). H & L stops were also incorrectly adjusted. After making these corrections, the bike shifts great with adequate clearance between cage and chain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fastpunk View Post
    You're absolutely right. I meant the derailleur shifter and not the derailleur. I'm sure we all know a derailleur has no use if it is mounted on the handlebar. 😄

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

40mm stem.. Going for a ride on a trail that leads to a private beach so I can try out the beach riding in an hour or so.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    40mm stem.. Going for a ride on a trail that leads to a private beach so I can try out the beach riding in an hour or so.

Nice! Ordered the same one, coming today or Monday,make sure to provide us with a ride update!

mtbr member
    I just bought Answer bars with a 2" inch rise, very comfy.
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    I found a problem,which is chasing me also in the motorcycles world(i got '78 Kawa KZ650 SR,kinda classic style).My hands are getting numb,when i ride Boris X9.My other bike is a beach ctuiser Moon dog Kulana.And my hands feelin' great on it.So,the question is:How can i make a bars higher?I don't wanna change the stock handlebar,cause it accents the brutality of the Boris I've geard about a steam risers.I was trying to find one,but i don't know the size.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    It's a 1 1/8" fork and a 31.8mm bars. They have riser headsets and Amazon.com : Ritchey Adjustable Mtn stem, (25.4) 80mm : Bike Stems And Parts : Sports & Outdoors

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Heads-Ext...fork+extension

There are other options but that goes to handlebars.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheburussian View Post
    I found a problem,which is chasing me also in the motorcycles world(i got '78 Kawa KZ650 SR,kinda classic style).My hands are getting numb,when i ride Boris X9.My other bike is a beach ctuiser Moon dog Kulana.And my hands feelin' great on it.So,the question is:How can i make a bars higher?I don't wanna change the stock handlebar,cause it accents the brutality of the Boris I've geard about a steam risers.I was trying to find one,but i don't know the size.

mtbr member
    Thanks,Bumpyride.Will check that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Took her to the beach.. She likes the beach lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Took her to the beach.. She likes the beach lol

The white is impressive! I wish I needed another fatbike

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Anyone make a frame pump that actually works decently fast with fat bikes? I'd like to be able to air down and back up without the 500 or so pumps it takes to get to 20psi for the concrete

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have an aluminum one, Lezyne I think. $50 is lots of money for a trail only tool in my opinion. Its 100 pumps to rideable on my fatbike. I use the same pump for my dirt bike.

A friend gave me a cheapo plastic pump as part of a trail tire kit. He bought it at a major chain store. It actually pumps more volume than the $50 one. The only downside to that one is that the head connects directly to the valve, so it is harder to keep in position without snapping off your presta valve. Pick your poison, the cheap one saves $35.

mtbr member
    Anyone make a frame pump that actually works decently fast with fat bikes? I'd like to be able to air down and back up without the 500 or so pumps it takes to get to 20psi for the concrete

Co2 pump Genuine Innovations Air Chuck Elite with 16g and 20g CO2 Cartridges | Genuine Innovations
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    What are your favorite Boris upgrades?
    I ordered an X5 this morning and I'm starting to doodle a list of upgrades to do right out of the box ...
    Top of my list is Diety pedals, seat clamp and maybe handlebar ... I LOVE my Dieties! Have them on my Juli and Fuji ... Wouldn't ride dirt without them (First blood anyone :-)

Any other suggestions to ponder?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

This one.

Amazon.com : Lezyne Micro Floor Drive High Volume Pump : Sports & Outdoors

Make sure you get the high volume, not the high pressure. Easy to use, and pumps fast. Don't have to putz with your tire having to be stationary or in a weird position. Fits easily in a frame bag also. Comfortable with no pinch spots.

mtbr member

Boris report....

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    This one.

Amazon.com : Lezyne Micro Floor Drive High Volume Pump : Sports & Outdoors

Make sure you get the high volume, not the high pressure. Easy to use, and pumps fast. Don't have to putz with your tire having to be stationary or in a weird position. Fits easily in a frame bag also. Comfortable with no pinch spots.
    I second that. With the Boris you can mount it to the fork or by the BB.

mtbr member

Boris report....

Quote Originally Posted by GrandmaRedlocks View Post
    What are your favorite Boris upgrades?
    I ordered an X5 this morning and I'm starting to doodle a list of upgrades to do right out of the box ...
    Top of my list is Diety pedals, seat clamp and maybe handlebar ... I LOVE my Dieties! Have them on my Juli and Fuji ... Wouldn't ride dirt without them (First blood anyone :-)

Any other suggestions to ponder?

Tires.... One one floaters
    Saddle- wtb pure V
    Handlebars- jones H-bars

Tires from factory were not impressive, seat uncomfortable and handlebars relieved numbness from wrist.

Made a set of shoes from a tire, donated the seat to a friend for his ss and left the bars at LBS.

Sent from magic wish granting phone

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I ended up getting some cheap schwinn thing at Walmart.. I love my bell pump and it was only ten bucks. I'm going to be swapping tires I'll count how many pumps it takes.

As for upgrade, I've done the stem. Pedals I'm leaving til I decide on what I want. Tires I'm gonna wait til winter to decide who knows what will be out by then. Handlebars are coming along with locking grips. I'll be putting on bb7s and some other stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    The only problem I keep having is having to tighten the head tube after every ride.
    What do you mean by this? What are you having to tighten? Is the stem clamp at the steerer tube coming loose? Pic maybe?

By the way, the head tube is part of the frame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rex615 View Post
    What do you mean by this? What are you having to tighten? Is the stem clamp at the steerer tube coming loose? Pic maybe?

By the way, the head tube is part of the frame
    Yeah it as the stem clamp. Seems to be OK now I must of not tightened it enough before my first time out
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

take two

After cobbling together a fork mount for my X9, I'm ready to try my Camber 29er and X9 on the same trail today. It will be a short downhill then back uphill to the car so I can really compare bikes. My air gauge came in from Amazon.com, so there will be no guessing on the PSI, it will be at 9. Also, I'll have no need for that nice tailgate blanket Anyone in need of one

Boris report....-fattyroof.jpg

Boris report....-fattymount1.jpg

mtbr member
    Yeah it as the stem clamp. Seems to be OK now I must of not tightened it enough before my first time out
    Good to hear you got it sorted out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My friend has a bikes direct bike with the stock stem and bars and no matter how tight I make it, it comes slightly loose every month or two. The bars too. Maybe cheap stems are made of softer metal that expands? I have a raceface that came loose that I know I torqued right and I bruised some ribs and broke my new fork on my fs.. And I know my torque wrench is right because I even tested it on a torque wrench calibrator.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Added some riser bars and grips.. I think I'm done for now. I also used zip ties and some rubber to attach a pump pump to the seat tube. I wish there were cage mounts there. Oh well not a big deal.

Last edited by ou2mame; 08-31-2014 at 03:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Heads up on rear wheel removal. The frame rapidly slims down back there, and removing the wheel causes the brake disc to hit or at least come very close to the inner left stay. I have scratched mine twice already.
    I applied a clear protector to the inner stay after a quick paint touch up. Really have to hold it just right as it comes out. Going to place a rag there in the future if i remove the wheel.

mtbr member
    Great pump deal! I got one of these today:
    Spin Doctor Rescue HV Mini Pump - Inflation on Sale Save Up to $30 Off
    $16.99 after extra 20% off lowest price..
    Should be available tomorrow as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    How easy/difficult would it be to convert the Boris to SS?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I had same problem with stem thought I tightened it enough to ride when I put it together. But the first hill I came to on trail handle bars went one way and front tire went other way. had to give stem bolts another turn (on trail with park tool)to tighten scary felt like they were about to strip. Did not use torque wrench so I don.t know what the lbs value the stem bolt are at this time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone have a link to the geometry chart of the Boris line? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    On the BD Boris page under sizing they give effective TT and standover for the sizes... For the rest of the geometry I compared to the geometry of the KHS and 9zero7, which many on these forums have said are the same frame, sourced from the Ideal Corp. that's how I compared it to my existing Juliana and Tahoe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Anyone have a link to the geometry chart of the Boris line? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
    Found it if anyone is looking for the geometry:

Motobecane USA | FatBikes Mountain Bikes

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandmaRedlocks View Post
    On the BD Boris page under sizing they give effective TT and standover for the sizes... For the rest of the geometry I compared to the geometry of the KHS and 9zero7, which many on these forums have said are the same frame, sourced from the Ideal Corp. that's how I compared it to my existing Juliana and Tahoe.
    The KHS and Motobecane frames are the same, but the 907 frame has been changed for 2015 and will now be known as the "whiteout aluminum" it has different tubing than previous models, with a tapered head tube, clearance for bluto and new rear dropout.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm glad I held off on getting a fat bike. Sounds like a Bluto Boris will be here really quick for under $1,000.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
    I'm glad I held off on getting a fat bike. Sounds like a Bluto Boris will be here really quick for under $1,000.
    Wondered about that myself as I don't think Bluto will fit in current Boris X lineup.

Saw on a Facebook post of Bikedirect a listing for Boris the Brut with a 190mm rear and bluto front. This would be the bike I want right now. Anyone know anything about this proposed upcoming model?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O11 View Post
    How easy/difficult would it be to convert the Boris to SS?
    Since you have vertical drop-outs you will need a chain tensioner. Using a kit like this one, it is relatively simple assuming you can do some simple work like shorten the chain and disassemble the cassette.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks rex615, I'm pretty sure I can handle that install....appreciate the info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So, I don't mind being the guinea pig for a new larger tire, but I'm having trouble deciding between the Vee Bulldozer and Snowshoe XLs - Bulldozer is about $15 cheaper on aebikes, looks like they will be just about the same size-wise. Primarily getting the tire for up front traction in the winter, should I lean to the Snowshoe for that reason? Will the rubber be better suited to the cold/snow?

mtbr member

Boris report....

Pxpaulx- pick your poison and looking forward to the results! I THINK they will just squeeze on the rear.

Sent from magic wish granting phone

mtbr member
    Hey all,Got the upgrade x9 rear derailleur for my X7. Unfortunately it was an X9 9 speed.
    Mine had arrived with a stripped cable clamp screw, sram's design makes re-threading rough.
    Emailed right away and now waiting to see if they have any 10 speed X9 rears available/
    I still think service was fast, just a simple mistake.
    Bike still rides like a dream. Picked up a large size triangle frame bag from Amazon: I have the 21 frame and this should look good:http://www.amazon.com/Ibera-Bicycle-...ngle+frame+bag

Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast