mtbr noob

Bored, so I draw...

Been kinda slow this week so I spent a little time doing a design study of what I think would be my dream fatty. I'm aesthetically driven ( being an architect ) and so a fatbike for me would need to have sweeping lines that draw the eye and also still be able to be practical and maintain proper geometry. I'm always drawn to certain bikes like Santa Cruz, Sandman, Yeti, Salamandre, 44 and a few others. Some design features complicate fabrication, obviously. Design features that facilitate fabrication do not usually IMHO add much to aesthetics.

I like the idea of a fatbike being capable to handle 4.8" tires like the Surly Moonlander, even though I would myself probably at first only run trail oriented 3.8" tires at first.

Steel ChrMo construction

Bigger brake rotors to slow a heavier machine down.

Easy and spacious standover.

Simpler dropouts and 10 speed hub capable only. I'll likely never be a SS guy but even then a singleator would allow that...?

Tapered Head tube just in case the upcoming revolution allows it practically.

Anyways, take a look at my first draft and let me know if I'm fundamentally off on anything. Keep in mind that art is part of the equation and seems to me to be missing in many mainstream bikes.

Please don't be too critical, I'm very sensitive and acknowledge my ignorance in this area (frame design). BTW, anthro-dude in the sketch is 186cm tall to scale.
    Bored, so I draw...-dreamfatty-page-001.jpg
    roxo56
    Surly Troll
    SC Butcher

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I like. Think it would look great in Ti.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

It looks GREAT in Ti

Bored, so I draw...-blunt.jpg

I draw, too, when bored. Then I got the bright idea to build some frames and sink way too much money into a hobby project. As an architectural lighting designer, the art of the bike was critical for me as a design aspect. Your sketch is right on track. In all the designs I've done, bicycles were the hardest thing Ive' ever tackled, particularly in 2D CAD.

EDIT: looks like I need to reattach the photos.Bored, so I draw...-blunt.jpg

Bored, so I draw...-baldy.jpg

mtbr member
    I assume you have seen TrailMaker #2 - The Kroozer

mtbr member
    don't forget the full squish version.

mtbr member
    It's pretty, but consider adding a set of knackers to anthrodude.

Then draw a pic with the bike on a soft surface. Often you can stop your bike on snow, it will not sink in much, but when you put your feet down they sink in much deeper.

Now check where anthrodudes knackers are.

You may wish to reconsider the nice upward sweep of your toptube.

Or twin the toptube with a suitable large gap for rapidly descending knackers to allow a gentleman to avoid profanity when stopping on soft surfaces.

As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Fat & Single
    There's a few here have had Triton build their vision.... try them for a price in Ti loveliness.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr noob
    StockLi,
    Nice frame design. Compliments...Yes the geometry tweaking is tricky.
    I've used measurements taken directly from my troll's cockpit.

I just spent an hour going thru the thread about TrailMaker's bike and experiences.
    Shame about his broken rearhub axle, but it reinforced my determination to keep the dropouts simple and windowless ! Some aesthetic compromises must be made in favor of reliability. But the thread also assures me that bending BOTH the top and down tubes is perfectly acceptable.

I have already considered our Russian friend (Triton ) and when the design is closer to perfection ( that's a joke, of course ). He'd be a primary fabber to consider.
    No hurry since this is still a young dream.

No comments yet about the tapered Head tube ? I was really hoping to hear something about that crazy idea thinking it was overkill.
    roxo56
    Surly Troll
    SC Butcher

never summer
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockli Boy View Post
    I draw, too, when bored. Then I got the bright idea to build some frames and sink way too much money into a hobby project. As an architectural lighting designer, the art of the bike was critical for me as a design aspect. Your sketch is right on track. In all the designs I've done, bicycles were the hardest thing Ive' ever tackled, particularly in 2D CAD.
    Really like this style frame. Reminds me of one of my favorite bikes, my beach cruiser.
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roxo56 View Post
    Please don't be too critical, I'm very sensitive and acknowledge my ignorance in this area (frame design). BTW, anthro-dude in the sketch is 186cm tall to scale.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DREAMFATTY-page-001.jpg 
Views:	661 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	828231
    Nice work. I like the higher than fashionable [today] curved TT. If I built a custom bike that would be one of the features I would request for a fatbike or 29+ frame.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    PM me and I will send you some AutoCAD blocks to make life a bit easier (cranks, rotors, hubs, etc). TrailMaker's bike is beautiful and inspired me to rebuild my bike into the one you see above. I replaced the rear end and did some bottom bracket modifications. I love the way it rides, just need to finish the rear rack and integrated fender.

Re: Bored, so I draw...

No comments yet about the tapered Head tube ? I was really hoping to hear something about that crazy idea thinking it was overkill.
    Not crazy... the new Specialized, Trek, and Salsa have tapered head tubes.

mtbr noob
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Not crazy... the new Specialized, Trek, and Salsa have tapered head tubes.
    Yes, I've been watching them very closely for styling cues and specs. Interesting the specialized philosophy on tire construction / sizing, huh ?
    roxo56
    Surly Troll
    SC Butcher

mtbr member
    You don't need a tapered HT for any reason other than it gives you access to a wider variety of forks. You can always run a 1 1/8" fork in a tapered HT.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockli Boy View Post
    PM me and I will send you some AutoCAD blocks to make life a bit easier (cranks, rotors, hubs, etc). TrailMaker's bike is beautiful and inspired me to rebuild my bike into the one you see above. I replaced the rear end and did some bottom bracket modifications. I love the way it rides, just need to finish the rear rack and integrated fender.
    Thanks, PM sent
    roxo56
    Surly Troll
    SC Butcher

mtbr noob
    Need a math check on chainstays dimensions, seatstay layout and any other criticisms you might offer...DREAMFATTY3.pdfDREAMFATTY1.pdfDREAMFATTY2.pdf

Do I have O.D. crank positioned correctly with 170mm hub offsets ???
    Thanks in advance.
    roxo56
    Surly Troll
    SC Butcher