Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Borealis Hubs

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Borealis Hubs

Anyone have the borealis hub apart yet? Read an article that says there is a 6 pawl with 144 points of engagement but their website says 72 which is probably a 4 pawl? What internals are they using? I am currently waiting on mine and have been for about 2 weeks. Anyone else waiting on hubs and if so, what date were you given for them?

mtbr member
    Can't really answer most of that, but I had one apart a while ago so maybe these pics can help. They are having a new hub manufacturer produce hubs, so I'm not sure if your will look like this. The new manufacturer is a little better quality from what I understand, although I have no complaints with these hubs.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thumper
    upmtbyader, The new hubs are 6 pawl. pbasinger is showing the previous 3 pawl hubs. Name:  Borealis_Freehub_Body-265x300.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  36.1 KB

I am awaitin myself. Lbs said Dec 5th. Borealis says late 2nd or 3rd week of December.
    Last edited by WickedLite; 01-09-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Fat Biker
    Sweet, then my Carbondales should come with the new style in January

Sent from my mobile
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

Nuts
    That is awesome I just built up a brand new out of date wheelset, so stoked about that!!
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    That is awesome I just built up a brand new out of date wheelset, so stoked about that!!

Ha. Well the "old" hubs are pretty nice in my opinion. The switch to the new manufacturer was mostly because the older one was having longer production delays.

Thumper
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    At least you got em built and riding bro.

I drilled my son of RD's to crazy and then HED goes and offers 480g hoops...

A Week Later!

son of a. Now I'm twiddlin till these come in.

Nuts
    Can't ride right now but at least my Yampa is pretty to look at. The good news is the lower engagement won't bother a thing with it sittin in the basement
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedLite View Post
    upmtbyader, The new hubs are 6 paw. pbasinger is showing the previous 3 paw hubs. Name:  Borealis_Freehub_Body-265x300.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  36.1 KB

I am awaitin myself. Lbs said Dec 5th. Borealis says late 2nd or 3rd week of December.
    Whos internals are they using?

Thumper
    My lbs swears the new 6 pawl hubs and Carbondales are in the mail so for anyone wanting to know, they are now available.
    Last edited by WickedLite; 01-09-2014 at 07:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedLite View Post
    My lbs swears the new 6 paw hubs and carbondales are in the mail so for anyone wanting to know, they are now available.
    I was told thurs or fri and they didnt come today in Da UP of Mi. But I did call Borealis and was told the new hubs are 3 pawl.

Thumper
    LBS said they arrived yesterday which means a couple more days for me to confirm pawls.
    Last edited by WickedLite; 01-09-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Fat Biker
    The hubs on my Carbondales are 3 pawl, received them last week. Both front and rear are slightly different from the ones on my HRDs

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

Thumper
    LBS says Borealis says improved version now but not confirming pawls.

I'm not too worried about it BUT they should say what they are selling Correctly.

Not too many people would accept a 6 cyl Challenger on delivery when told a 383 is in there when ordering but that is a bigger diff I know. Still lightest 190mm hubset out there. 6 pawl woulda weighted it down I guess.
    Last edited by WickedLite; 01-09-2014 at 07:26 PM.

Thumper
    3 pawls it is for the new ones.

Now maybe someone can help me figure out how to get my xx1 set up done on my new Borealis 190mm hubs. Pleeeease

So I got 2 hub sets. 1 black with xd11 drive that I installed and 1 red that came with it installed.

Black hub set: I removed freehub mech and back spacer. Installed xd11 driver and cassette flush to hub body flange. The wide flange end cap will not thread on axle since this flange rests on teeth of xx1 tightener (lock ring). It's like the hole is not big enough or cassette is not on far enough.

Red hub set: I installed xx1 cassette flush against hub body flange. Same issue with this end cap. This cap has 2 narrower flanges that prevent it from getting close enough to the axle threads.

With end cap, sitting as I have done it puts the with too wide to fit the Yampa frame.

It's like the hub body is too wide.

I've built a many bikes but I'm feeling like a real noob right now. I even went to the lbs and they couldn't figure it out. Enlighten me!!

As you can see the cassette is on as far as it can go.
    As you can see the axle end sits flush with small cog.
    As you can see the caps have wide flanges which are to rest on xx1 tightener (lock ring).
    What am I doin wrong here?
    Borealis Hubs-img_3529.jpgBorealis Hubs-img_3530.jpgBorealis Hubs-img_3531.jpgBorealis Hubs-img_3532.jpgBorealis Hubs-img_3533.jpg
    Last edited by WickedLite; 01-09-2014 at 07:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Way above my pay grade but in situations like this I usually just take a step back and drink!! Cheers!!!

Thumper
    Thanks Ditchman. I knew someone would talk some sense.

I think the last time you suggested this to me though, I had a pretty wicked headache the next morning.

Highland Park.... down the hatch...

Must build all the wheels
    Wicked Lite, it looks like you are mixing parts between new and old hubs. The old style had the silver colored driver, the new has a red colored driver. It is kind of hard to tell from the pics but I think that may be what is going on.

With the new hubs the drive side end cap and spacer between XD and 10 spd drivers are NOT interchangeable.

The new hubs are 3 pawls and engagement feels similar to something like a Hope or Shimano hub but I do not remember exactly what the engagement is.

If you call Greg in the morning I am sure he will get you sorted out.

Thumper
    Yup that drink helped DITCHMAN! So end cap on first. Then cassette. Son of a.

Thumper
    You are correct with the black hub set chriskmurray. The raw colored driver came separate, is the older style and is NOT compatible with the new hubs.

The newer red driver was already installed on the new red hub set. Buuut I was putting end cap on after cassette or trying too.... duuh.

I need another driver for my black hubs. I can just swap driver and cassette when I wanna change wheelsets... till it shows I guess.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I purchased a Yampa X.9/X.0 on December 1, 2013 and am really enjoying it but have encountered some significant problems with my free hub.

When on the bike or rotated by hand, the free hub action is exceptionally rough and noisy. When on the bike, the hub is almost 'fixie' and there is limited freewheeling.

The cassette and bearing preload are properly tightened. I haven't dismantled the hub so I don't know what the bearings or pawls look like.

Do you have any advice on how to get this quickly repaired? I have contacted Borealis but have yet to hear back (I live about 6 hours from the nearest Borealis dealer)

Thumper
    Do you have a cassette lockring tool and a chainwhip?

Take the cassette off and take a pic. Then hub off and take a pic. It's really easy and quick. You'll be done tonight if you get us pics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

images of hub and free hub bidy

Here are some shots of the hub and free hub body. One of the pawls doesn't have any spring action in it and there appear to be chunks of metal in the bearings.Borealis Hubs-img_0779.jpgBorealis Hubs-img_0784.jpg

Thumper
    That's looks like it was worth removing.

tyberius_77, it looks like your pressfit sealed bearings are missing. I cannot see around your freehub mech but I took a pic of mine. When I push down the spring comes up just in front of paw. How's yours look in front of your injured paw?

Borealis Hubs-img_3546.jpgBorealis Hubs-img_3547.jpg

edit. this is a xx1 freehub mech. Let me pic the borealis stock mech.

Thumper
    That's some serious damage you have there on the pawl edges and the face just behind the pawls. Let's see a pick inside your hub body. Something inside there is hitting it and chewing your freehub mech and pawls away.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast