Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 51 to 74 of 74

Thread: Borealis Hubs

  1. #51
    Must build all the wheels
    Reputation: chriskmurray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    That's awesome. It is what I hoped but have not seen in writing anywhere.

    Have you personally seen the 12mm conversion caps or is it listed anywhere officially? Will the caps make it 197x12 or 190x12?
    I actually am the head wheel builder at Borealis so I have seen them.

    I am pretty certain we have end caps for both options, I will double check tomorrow but I am pretty sure we have end caps for both 12mm options.

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    630
    Thanks for the info. My fingers are crossed for confirmation.

    For me this would make the borealis hubs the best fat hubs available. 15mm front axle means the possibility of upgrading to a suspension fork without fear of a flexy front end. This is especially true with upside-down forks as are currently the only option. Also, front brake spacing seems more future proof, allowing better tire clearance when putting the wheel into a fork.

    For the rear, 190mm will allow the biggest tires and rims ever manufactured. Andů high engagement count is key.

    With 12mm compatibility, there wouldn't be anything left on my wish list. There's nothing else I can think of as a feature available elsewhere. If not, I'm sure borealis is already scheming on new developments.

  3. #53
    Nuts
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    Ok now I'm confused I have a 6 pawl hub and It's one of the originals I think and it is also taking a dump. How many different hubs do they have?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Borealis Hubs-1604562_811767385515449_2138864196_n.jpg  

    And I love beer!!

  4. #54
    Monkey
    Reputation: Jozz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    153
    The new ones have a colored (red on red hub) freehub. Call Greg and you should get your new hub within a week.

  5. #55
    Thumper
    Reputation: WickedLite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Ok now I'm confused I have a 6 pawl hub and It's one of the originals I think and it is also taking a dump. How many different hubs do they have?

    Look at that. You thought you had built a wheel with the older 3 pawl.... but you got a sixer. wtf. Only have seen the older 3 pawl raw colored and...

    My new red colored ones (newest are only 3 pawl and red) for original hub and xd driver.

  6. #56
    Nuts
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    Yeah confusing isn't it. I think the poe is 48 but I could be off I got thirsty in the middle of the count.
    And I love beer!!

  7. #57
    Monkey
    Reputation: Jozz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    153
    Can't see from the pic, are those double row of pawls? My old one was 3 rows of doubles, 6 pawls total. Confusing to say the least...

  8. #58
    Nuts
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
    Can't see from the pic, are those double row of pawls? My old one was 3 rows of doubles, 6 pawls total. Confusing to say the least...
    6 rows of 6 kinda, they are actually just one pawl each split for the spring thingy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Borealis Hubs-75649_811969108828610_812739266_n.jpg  

    And I love beer!!

  9. #59
    Must build all the wheels
    Reputation: chriskmurray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    Thanks for the info. My fingers are crossed for confirmation.

    For me this would make the borealis hubs the best fat hubs available. 15mm front axle means the possibility of upgrading to a suspension fork without fear of a flexy front end. This is especially true with upside-down forks as are currently the only option. Also, front brake spacing seems more future proof, allowing better tire clearance when putting the wheel into a fork.

    For the rear, 190mm will allow the biggest tires and rims ever manufactured. Andů high engagement count is key.

    With 12mm compatibility, there wouldn't be anything left on my wish list. There's nothing else I can think of as a feature available elsewhere. If not, I'm sure borealis is already scheming on new developments.
    Both our front and rear hubs are convertible, we wanted them to be as versatile as possible and work with frames/forks other than our own. The fronts can do either 15mm thru axle and also standard 9mm QR.

    The rear hubs can do 197x12, 190x12, and 190 with standard 9mm QR.

    For the engagement the new hubs are a 3 pawl set up and engagement is similar to Shimano or older Hopes.

    There seems to be a bit of confusion about knowing which hubs you have. Every one of the new hubs has a red driver no matter the hub body color or the driver type.

    If the driver on your hubs is a raw aluminum color it is one of the older style hubs. On the older hubs we did have both 3 pawl and 6 pawl drivers which are interchangeable but NOT with the new hubs.

    The reason for the change in hubs is we had a number of inconsistency issues and had a handful of drivers fail like you have seen in this post. If you have an issue with a hub do not hesitate to give Greg a call at (320) FAT-BIKE and he will get your sorted out quickly.

    I hope this clears up any confusion and if there are any more questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.

    Thanks
    Chris

  10. #60
    Nuts
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    Quote Originally Posted by chriskmurray View Post
    Both our front and rear hubs are convertible, we wanted them to be as versatile as possible and work with frames/forks other than our own. The fronts can do either 15mm thru axle and also standard 9mm QR.

    The rear hubs can do 197x12, 190x12, and 190 with standard 9mm QR.

    For the engagement the new hubs are a 3 pawl set up and engagement is similar to Shimano or older Hopes.

    There seems to be a bit of confusion about knowing which hubs you have. Every one of the new hubs has a red driver no matter the hub body color or the driver type.

    If the driver on your hubs is a raw aluminum color it is one of the older style hubs. On the older hubs we did have both 3 pawl and 6 pawl drivers which are interchangeable but NOT with the new hubs.

    The reason for the change in hubs is we had a number of inconsistency issues and had a handful of drivers fail like you have seen in this post. If you have an issue with a hub do not hesitate to give Greg a call at (320) FAT-BIKE and he will get your sorted out quickly.

    I hope this clears up any confusion and if there are any more questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.

    Thanks
    Chris
    Already taken care of Borealis is a top notch company for sure!!

    Thanks...bOb
    And I love beer!!

  11. #61
    Must build all the wheels
    Reputation: chriskmurray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Already taken care of Borealis is a top notch company for sure!!

    Thanks...bOb
    That is exactly why I love working here! Glad he got you sorted out quickly.

    Chris

  12. #62
    Anchorage, AK
    Reputation: Lars_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    707
    Has anyone experienced creaking with the old-style hubs? I have some pretty bad creaking and have tightened / lubed everything. The only thing left that I can think of is the hub. I only hear the creaking when I pedal.
    --Peace

  13. #63
    Anchorage, AK
    Reputation: Lars_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    Has anyone experienced creaking with the old-style hubs? I have some pretty bad creaking and have tightened / lubed everything. The only thing left that I can think of is the hub. I only hear the creaking when I pedal.
    Turned out some crud had worked its way behind the pawls in the hub and was making the noise.
    --Peace

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TankD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    22

    Borealis Hubs

    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    Has anyone experienced creaking with the old-style hubs? I have some pretty bad creaking and have tightened / lubed everything. The only thing left that I can think of is the hub. I only hear the creaking when I pedal.
    Did it sound like the spokes were loose? Mine does. Just checked it out and tightened everything and the nerve wrecking "twang" still appears.

  15. #65
    Anchorage, AK
    Reputation: Lars_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    707

    Re: Borealis Hubs

    Yup. Sounded like noisy spokes. A good cleaning of the pawls, springs, and the spring pocket took care of it.

    --Lars
    Last edited by Lars_D; 07-12-2014 at 02:36 PM.
    --Peace

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TankD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    22

    Borealis Hubs

    Quote Originally Posted by TankD View Post
    Did it sound like the spokes were loose? Mine does. Just checked it out and tightened everything and the nerve wrecking "twang" still appears.
    Nope. No freewheel. Frame. Broken. ****.

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TankD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    22

    Borealis Hubs

    Quote Originally Posted by TankD View Post
    ****.
    I meant ****.

  18. #68
    Nuts
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    Quote Originally Posted by TankD View Post
    I meant ****.
    Can I buy a vowel?

    So are you saying your frame broke and if so where and was it a Yampa?
    And I love beer!!

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TankD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    22

    Borealis Hubs

    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Can I buy a vowel?

    So are you saying your frame broke and if so where and was it a Yampa?
    That's exactly what I'm saying. Yes, Yampa and the left chainstay. Almost from top to bottom of the tube.

  20. #70
    Nuts
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    Quote Originally Posted by TankD View Post
    That's exactly what I'm saying. Yes, Yampa and the left chainstay. Almost from top to bottom of the tube.
    You are not alone my friend!!
    And I love beer!!

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TankD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    22

    Borealis Hubs

    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    You are not alone my friend!!
    You got to be kidding me?!

  22. #72
    zeb
    zeb is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    288
    Just when i was about chainging from bulk aluminium to high end carbon frame.
    Makes me think twice if warranty does not cover or takes too much precious summer ridingtime,Meanwhile try to take it easy.
    Any pics?

  23. #73
    Nuts
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    Mine was the seat tube and I had about 8 miles on it, now I ride ti. Warranty was dealt with very very fast but I was riding with the manager of the shop I bought it from so that helped. The boys at Borealis seem to take very good care of their customers.
    And I love beer!!

  24. #74
    Anchorage, AK
    Reputation: Lars_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedLite View Post
    Here is the newer freehub mech which is different than yours. There is a spacer that fits in here and keeps this at the right distance to the hub body flange.
    Attachment 861390
    Interesting, it is identical to the Stan's XD driver...

    Stan's NoTubes Stans XD Driver | Competitive Cyclist
    --Peace

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Similar Threads

  1. Borealis Fat Bike Shoot
    By csgaraglino in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-03-2013, 08:13 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-14-2013, 08:20 AM
  3. Borealis In The House
    By bdundee in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-04-2013, 09:10 AM
  4. Borealis Carbon Rims
    By SmooveP in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 09-15-2013, 11:58 AM
  5. Borealis fork and hubs delivered already
    By lancelot in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 07:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •