Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Borealis Hubs

Thumper
    Here is the newer freehub mech which is different than yours. There is a spacer that fits in here and keeps this at the right distance to the hub body flange.
    Borealis Hubs-img_3548.jpg

mtbr member
    tyberius_77

Some of those first run hubs had a tendency to loosen up at the end caps causing exactly what you're describing. Sounds like you have checked they are tight, so possibly it loosened up at some point and you retightened it? Loosening up may have caused some damage.

I would remove the freehub and check the pawls and hub body. Clean out any debris, lube it and see how it runs. If there is any damage I would try to get a replacement from Borealis. I'm sure they will get back to you within a few days if not sooner.

Is there any chance the freehub was removed by a shop or coming from Borealis to either winterize it or put on an Xd driver? There is a washer in there and that could have been left out, although I can't say for certain that would cause the symptoms you're describing just a guess.

Your Best Friend
    Pawl guys. Pawl.

Thumper
    ^^corrected

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tyberius_77 View Post

When on the bike or rotated by hand, the free hub action is exceptionally rough and noisy. When on the bike, the hub is almost 'fixie' and there is limited freewheeling.

Do you have any advice on how to get this quickly repaired? I have contacted Borealis but have yet to hear back (I live about 6 hours from the nearest Borealis dealer)

This happened within the first few days on my riding partners Yampa. Borealis has been but great about it, as they sent a new freehub to Canada and he was rolling within a week. He had more problems, so they've sent two new hubs (it appears his and my bike both got the first version.) It's just recently started on my hub now too, but my Carbondale's should be in next week so I'm going to tough it out and they can re-lace the new hub later. Six hours away is pretty good, seeing as how it appears it happened to Daniel Burton, while he was heading to the south pole.

Again, Borealis has been great about it, can't say that enough!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Any ideas on when new hubs started going out? My frame was received 2 weeks ago.

Thumper
    A batch went out 2.5 weeks ago Aftershock. I know cause I waited since my order in October and just got them last week.

So you got your frame and are waiting on hubs?

Monkey
    I'm having problems too. At first I though it was because it was damn cold and the grease was sticking, but when I removed the freehub it looked like that...

Borealis Hubs-img_6046.jpg

Borealis Hubs-img_6042.jpg

Thumper
    Yeah Jozz, give Greg a call. Borealis are good people and should help you out quick.

So just to clarify so anyone reading can understand including myself. This is an ongoing issue with the older style hubs. And the newer Freehubs are NOT interchangeable so people need new hubs altogether?

Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedLite View Post
    Yeah Jozz, give Greg a call. Borealis are good people and should help you out quick.
    Already in contact with them. I told them I would ride it a bit more to see if it was a grease issue, but yesterday it started acting up again. So will contact them again and see what they offer me. Last time they answered me within a few hours.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    A batch went out 2.5 weeks ago Aftershock. I know cause I waited since my order in October and just got them last week.

So you got your frame and are waiting on hubs?
    Hubs came in with the frame.

Thumper
    If you just got them you should be sweet. You can take a look at the color of your freehub. The new ones are colored. I have only seen red on new 9/10 spd freehub and red on new xd11 driver.

All new xd11 drivers are colored but maybe someone can chime in if they gotta different color or even raw newer 9/10 freehubs. Or you can take a look at yours and see the difference compared with all the pics we posted.

Must build all the wheels
    If you just got them you should be sweet. You can take a look at the color of your freehub. The new ones are colored. I have only seen red on new 9/10 spd freehub and red on new xd11 driver.

All new xd11 drivers are colored but maybe someone can chime in if they gotta different color or even raw newer 9/10 freehubs. Or you can take a look at yours and see the difference compared with all the pics we posted.
    All of the drivers, XD and 10 speed on the new hubs are red. The old hubs all had the raw colored driver.

We will take good care of anyone who has had issues with their hubs as soon as they get a chance to check your emails or return phone calls.

I do not remember the exact date we switched to the new style hubs but if your order was from a couple weeks ago they will without a doubt be the new style.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Dang holding my breathe!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
    I'm having problems too. At first I though it was because it was damn cold and the grease was sticking, but when I removed the freehub it looked like that...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6046.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	861480

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6042.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	861481
    Jozz; While I am no mechanic or engineer, it appears to me that somehow the pawls have been forced backwards beyond their intended range. A symptom of too much torque for the given design? Seems like there would have to be some flex in the hub to allow this?
    Just like Fat Bikes...the posters on here can go anywhere...and do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I spoke with Greg from Borealis today and a few moments later I received the UPS confirmation that a new hub was on its way to me. Though I am a little disappointed that I will now have to pay for a wheel build I am pleased with the quick replacement of the hub.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    SR

When did you get your hubs?

Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    Jozz; While I am no mechanic or engineer, it appears to me that somehow the pawls have been forced backwards beyond their intended range. A symptom of too much torque for the given design? Seems like there would have to be some flex in the hub to allow this?
    No mechanical enginneer also, but I suspect a too soft alloy or something as the metal seem to have bulge near the pawls. The sticky hub problem arise when I've been climbing non stop for a long period, say 15 minutes or more. I'm sure Greg will take care of me. Too bad I will need to have my wheel rebuilt if its a complete new hub that is needed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    When rebuilding the wheel around the new hub what spoke tension should be aimed for? This is on the Clown Shoes. Thanks!

Monkey
    Toasted! Seems I finished my last ride with 2 out of 6 pawls intact. Chunks of metal loose inside = not good.

Borealis Hubs-img_6490.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Wide_Open View Post
    When rebuilding the wheel around the new hub what spoke tension should be aimed for? This is on the Clown Shoes. Thanks!
    We build Clown Shoes to 120kgf drive side on the rear and brake side on the fronts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Excellent. Thank you very much!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Any idea if the borealis rear hub can be converted for 12mm?

The high points of engagement count is appealing but I would prefer it to be convertible for my next frame.

Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    Any idea if the borealis rear hub can be converted for 12mm?

The high points of engagement count is appealing but I would prefer it to be convertible for my next frame.
    You can convert them to 12mm on the new hubs pretty easily with changing end caps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chriskmurray View Post
    You can convert them to 12mm on the new hubs pretty easily with changing end caps.
    That's awesome. It is what I hoped but have not seen in writing anywhere.

Have you personally seen the 12mm conversion caps or is it listed anywhere officially? Will the caps make it 197x12 or 190x12?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast