Thread: Borealis Flume

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Borealis Flume

Any thoughts or info on the recently revealed Borealis Flume? I'm considering ditching my Fatboy for one.
    The Flume

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Schvizen View Post
    Any thoughts or info on the recently revealed Borealis Flume? I'm considering ditching my Fatboy for one.
    The Flume
    Price looks nice.

That said, the geometry looks like a bad joke for soft surface riding, and the Pressfit bottom bracket would be an immediate deal-breaker for me.

Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    What about the geometry would make it a joke?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It's a threaded BB

Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    What about the geometry would make it a joke?
    Keeping in mind that I specified 'for soft surface riding', the long chainstays and steep head angle are bad by themselves and virtually the opposite of desirable when combined on the same bike.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.rogers View Post
    It's a threaded BB

There is one pic of the BB shell and it is emphatically not threaded in that pic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Paint job looks god awful. Need a serious redesign, I don't think I could bring myself to look at it everyday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I rode one around the parking lot at our local bike store. From that quick ride it felt very live and agile it move to the top of my list if it will take a 5 inch tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I agree the pic on their site does not look threaded, but there's a better pic on bikerumor, and some corroboration:

IB15: Borealis Adds Carbon Crestone, Rides the Flume with Aluminum Fat Bikes

Mike, do you have any recommendations for budget (ish) fat bikes that you prefer their geometry?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Not so sure the 15" chainstay thing is the ticket for soft conditions. Haven't really seen any good evidence of that out in actual soft conditions around here. I like short chainstays as much as the next on most of my bikes, but this has gotten kind of overblown too.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Borealis Flume-20151129_124001.jpg
    Really like mine, very playful for a fat bike. Yes it will take a full 5" tire (hence longer CS), and yes it is a threaded BB. As for the color, I've always dug Orange and it is truly "don't shoot me" Orange (it also comes in black).

Quote Originally Posted by mr.rogers View Post
    Mike, do you have any recommendations for budget (ish) fat bikes that you prefer their geometry?
    I haven't done a ton of research because I'm not in the market, but from what I have seen the Trek Farley looks awesome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by l3eaudacious View Post
    Paint job looks god awful. Need a serious redesign, I don't think I could bring myself to look at it everyday.
    It's much better in person. I thought both color schemes were pretty nice. Certainly more going on in comparison to other fatties on the market though.

mtbr member
    I can say with 5 minutes of research, the Farley 7 is the same price as the Flume with bluto. Yes the CS is .6 of an inch shorter (when adjusted to run a 5" tire they are identical), but the brakes are a down spec and it has a ridged fork, the carbon fork version of the flume is $200 less. And if your concerned about color, it's Plume Crazy Purple

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by screamingbunny View Post
    I can say with 5 minutes of research, the Farley 7 is the same price as the Flume with bluto. Yes the CS is .6 of an inch shorter (when adjusted to run a 5" tire they are identical), but the brakes are a down spec and it has a ridged fork, the carbon fork version of the flume is $200 less. And if your concerned about color, it's Plume Crazy Purple
    They're both targeting a similar buyer for sure at that price point.

How do the Turnagain FR80 rims stack up against Mulefuts? Also the Trek is spec'd with 120 TPI 4.7 tires vs 27 TPI HuDus... I know which tires I'd rather have.

mtbr member
    The FR80s rock, one strip of 75mm tubeless tape (supplied) and you're tubeless. Haven't tried making the Mulefuts tubeless but they are a tight fit and so they should fit up ok. Yup definitely better tire spec, work a deal with your LBS, they can probably make you happy for much less cost than adding a Bluto to the Farley.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Keeping in mind that I specified 'for soft surface riding', the long chainstays and steep head angle are bad by themselves and virtually the opposite of desirable when combined on the same bike.

There is one pic of the BB shell and it is emphatically not threaded in that pic.
    that's what taps are for. and isn't the industry changing the BB again to this new size so you can retro fit any press fit out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I Just picked up mine today. The frame finish is fantastic. Sanded welds look sweet. I tested quite a few and really liked this one. Really like the build, felt light in handling, stand over for a guy with a short inseam. Decided to go with the bluto. My only concern is if the Borealis rims can be made tubeless or not. Borealis Flume-image.jpeg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Looks great! Any chance you can confirm how the rear through-axle interfaces with the drive side of the frame? From the pics I've seen, it looks like the axle doesn't travel through the frame, and instead is supported entirely by the hanger.

http://icws542w20.myicontrol.com/icw...ture0003-4.jpg

mtbr member
    through axle goes all the way through and screws into an aluminum insert that gets mounted into the socket in the drop out, a small set screw holds it in place.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Schvizen View Post
    Looks great! Any chance you can confirm how the rear through-axle interfaces with the drive side of the frame? From the pics I've seen, it looks like the axle doesn't travel through the frame, and instead is supported entirely by the hanger.

http://icws542w20.myicontrol.com/icw...ture0003-4.jpg
    You are correct. Goes through the hanger only from what I can tell.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Does it bother anyone that the through-axle is not supported by the frame on the drive side and only attaches to the hanger?

mtbr member
    Borealis Flume-20151213_191404.jpg
    Borealis Flume-20151213_191419.jpg
    Borealis Flume-20151213_191623.jpg
    Not particularly everything seats into the frame plus it keeps the whole drivetrain aligned

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for the quick reply and images. The axle connection looks pretty secure.

On another note, have you weighed it yet?

deez nuts
    On another note, have you weighed it yet?[/QUOTE]

My size medium with carbon fork is 30.75lbs with Saint pedals and 4.8 Bud and Lou's.

mtbr member
    As pictured 29 lbs even. Throw on the Minion FBR & FBF and she's 32 lbs

Borealis Flume-29-lbs-flume.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    19", 28.5lbs ready to ride with Dillinger 4's

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tenth1 View Post
    19", 28.5lbs ready to ride with Dillinger 4's
    Mine (19") was was 31.05 lbs. with a Bluto, 120 TPI Dillinger 4s and demo pedals. I had them put studded Dillinger 5s on it and my aluminum pedals but forgot to weigh it. Are you running tubeless?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I'd really like to know if anyone has setup the turnagain rims tubeless. I switched my tiers out to Dillinger 5's studded yesterday and contemplated going tubeless but never set it up before. seemed to me like the tires fit too loose on the rim to have it work properly. Anyone else have any success doing it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nussy View Post
    I'd really like to know if anyone has setup the turnagain rims tubeless. I switched my tiers out to Dillinger 5's studded yesterday and contemplated going tubeless but never set it up before. seemed to me like the tires fit too loose on the rim to have it work properly. Anyone else have any success doing it?
    My local bike store told me they have done it BUT they changed my rims from the Turnagin FR80 to FR80 FTD (fat tubeless design) so I am not sure if they meant that they could with the regular or the new rims. I bought D5s along with my new bike and they were telling me that despite the fact that D5s are not "tubeless ready" they have done them in the past.

Initially, I was very confused by why the bike was being sold for a little more than MSRP (Alaska "tax" perhaps?) especially because the Borealis website doesn't even mention the FTD rims as being an option that you can buy! It is hard to find any information about these rims on the net but this article sheds a little light on the situation.

My FTD rims did comes with new valves and rim strips (supposedly that is all they need) and the guy at the shop showed me the difference between the two rims. They are indeed different. They also told me that Borealis gives them a ton of options to customize their orders (as opposed to the website which seemingly gives very little in the way of options for complete builds). It may be that they are freshly released to the public and they haven't got around to being reviewed yet or released for general sale. They are very nice and I will take some pictures of them when I get home later and post them here. I plan on moving to tubeless when I put on the Summer tires in a few months.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chesswiththedevil View Post
    Mine (19") was was 31.05 lbs. with a Bluto, 120 TPI Dillinger 4s and demo pedals. I had them put studded Dillinger 5s on it and my aluminum pedals but forgot to weigh it. Are you running tubeless?
    Not tubeless yet, may try this summer. I also have the new tubeless ready FR80 rims.

Mine was a little over MSRP, but was easily accounted for by the upgraded tires. It is a carbon fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Seriously considering this bike, pretty well down to the Flume or the 9:zero:7
    alloy, both on sale now with pluses and minuses for both.

FLUME: What I like, X11 GX drivetrain with the new 325 gram 1175 cassette,
    carbon post and bars (and right size bar for me) carbon fork under 600 grams
    included, or for $200 more a Bluto, tough call and dilemma for me.....
    they will do their 100 mm tubeless rims free, along with Bud/Lou for additional
    $140. So $1900 with some upgraded rims and tires, free ship, no tax.

Not real big on the orange, but could grow on me, their black is ok,
    no standout. The rear wheel mounting system is of some concern,
    owners here have shown no concern, so jury out on that.

9:ZERO: I like the frame with the standard rear wheel mounting,
    the green color is nice, Mulefut rims as a $200 upgrade, that I would do,
    standard JJ 26X4.0 tires. $1600 w/Mulefut.

Dislikes: no carbon fork standard, $450 upgrade if 9zero7 carbon fork,
    not X11, post and bar alum, not carbon. With carbon fork upgrade cost
    goes to $2150, $250 more than Flume.....and still 2X10.
    Could get a Framed Carbon fork for $268 to match Flume cost, but
    then I am looking at buying a purple 9zero7 frame set for the blow out price of $450, add Framed carbon fork, and use the balance of $1100 for components......

I am leaning towards the Flume.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by zcobra1 View Post
    Seriously considering this bike, pretty well down to the Flume or the 9:zero:7
    alloy, both on sale now with pluses and minuses for both.

FLUME: What I like, X11 GX drivetrain with the new 325 gram 1175 cassette,
    carbon post and bars (and right size bar for me) carbon fork under 600 grams
    included, or for $200 more a Bluto, tough call and dilemma for me.....
    they will do their 100 mm tubeless rims free, along with Bud/Lou for additional
    $140. So $1900 with some upgraded rims and tires, free ship, no tax.

Not real big on the orange, but could grow on me, their black is ok,
    no standout. The rear wheel mounting system is of some concern,
    owners here have shown no concern, so jury out on that.

9:ZERO: I like the frame with the standard rear wheel mounting,
    the green color is nice, Mulefut rims as a $200 upgrade, that I would do,
    standard JJ 26X4.0 tires. $1600 w/Mulefut.

Dislikes: no carbon fork standard, $450 upgrade if 9zero7 carbon fork,
    not X11, post and bar alum, not carbon. With carbon fork upgrade cost
    goes to $2150, $250 more than Flume.....and still 2X10.
    Could get a Framed Carbon fork for $268 to match Flume cost, but
    then I am looking at buying a purple 9zero7 frame set for the blow out price of $450, add Framed carbon fork, and use the balance of $1100 for components......

I am leaning towards the Flume.....
    I support 9Zero7, they are a great company and have a great product. I bought the Flume (with Bluto) and love it. I did so because it narrowly won out on a few things that I like on it more than the comparably built 907. Either bike will serve you well. In the end, I recommend going with your gut because you'll probably be happier.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yes, I like to support small companies, over mega companies.

A main attraction for both bikes is the lower stand over height,
    so many running around with foot long posts to get into a too
    small frame to get that lower stand over height. I need a 20/21"
    frame and these frames give me that little bit extra that makes a
    big difference to me.

I have a email into GW at 9zero7 to do a comparable build up to the
    Flume and awaiting that quote.

What exactly made you go with the Flume ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    The 1x11 cassette, the carbon seat post and bar, and the color. I also didn't want to wait 2+ weeks for the next shipment to come in as the other LBS had the Flume I wanted in stock. If they had the right build in stock I might have bought a 907 just because I live in Alaska, really respect the shop/builder and liked the bikes. They (907) are great bikes. So is th Flume and I have had no regrets (other than they droped ~$500 7 weeks after I bought mine).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Borealis Flume-img_6358.jpgI have a Black Flume set up with a Bluto, 80mm MuleFut wheels and Shimano M8000 1 x 11. I love it. My goal was an affordable alum frame with the new generation hub compatibility (i.e. 150/197). Handling is nimble - a bit more weight on the front than my previous bike (same stem, bars, seat post) I see that as good for cornering. It's so easy to throw around. In regards to any issues in deep snow, I haven't noticed that. I do have issues with my tires (Vee Tire Snow Shoes from my old bike). Will make a change for next winter (likely Bud/Lou). Bought a set of 65mm wheels from Borealis, going with some 4" grippy tires for the summer. My two 29er's hanging on the wall might be history. This bike is fun!

mtbr member
    any further Flume reviews?
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    any further Flume reviews?
    How many more do you need?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    How many more do you need?
    didn't realize my asking a question would bother you so much.

Considering how short this thread is compared to those of other bikes, I thought I would ask seeing how I am considering buying one.

How simple are the FTD rims to set up tubeless? Any other build weights?
    Last edited by Swerny; 04-21-2017 at 08:44 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Tubeless isnt an issue if you go with the fatty stripper system. It's very difficult with tape.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    i just picked up my Flume late last month, and haven't had more than a passing chance to ride it due to working 60 hours a week and prepping for a move this weekend. hoping to really get out there in June.

i'm really liking the 120tpi Bud/Lou combo that's set up tubeless. my only other experience has been a set of BFL's on a Mongoose Beast that was my first ultra cheap foray into Fat.

so far my biggest frustration is finding a good frame bag to fit the frame's low top tube. anyone have a suggestion? i've been thinking that a 9:Zero:7 frame bag might fit.

Here's a pic from just after unboxing.

Borealis Flume-img_20160425_182612321.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I'm considering both the Flume and Crestone, for winter riding mainly. Does anyone have comments on sizing of the Small and Medium? Where I am I can't try the bike for size. Borealis has a sizing chart based on height (https://www.fatbike.com/product/crestone-elite/#tab-2), but I read a review somewhere that said the Medium runs big. At 5'8" I fall in their Medium. I tend to like to sit taller, all-mountain I guess it's called, as I commute with it. One spec not available for Borealis is wheelbase, so if anyone has those, that would be useful too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Only help I can give is that I bought a Flume in large and am
    6'3", 34 inseam and fits fine.

Interplanetary Traveler
    2017 Borealis Flume Carbon Custom w/ HED Wheels NEW For Sale

There is a bike shop in Jackson Hole, WY with great deals on Flume's w/ HED wheelset.

Damn near $1000 cheaper than Borealis website...

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat Cactus View Post
    2017 Borealis Flume Carbon Custom w/ HED Wheels NEW For Sale

There is a bike shop in Jackson Hole, WY with great deals on Flume's w/ HED wheelset.

Damn near $1000 cheaper than Borealis website...
    For a couple hundred less than those I just picked up a large Flume demo direct from Borealis. It is GX 1-11 with RF Turbine CINCH cranks, Turbine stem, HED BAD wheels and a set of Maxis prototype 120tpi tires that look just like the Mammoth. Only two rides so far but I love it.