mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Borealis Echo Crankset -170 spaced?

Can anyone who own's an echo help me figure this out... I"m about to get an echo, but it's missing a crankset. In other threads I've seen mention of people talking to borealis and being told a crankset with a 170 rear spindle can work. Would love to know who has successfully used a 170 crank in their echo, and what crankset you used. Did you get the chainline on target? Fully aware that this isn't ideal, but I've seen mention of people doing it, and the fact that the borealis says it can be done is intriguing. Would love a narrower Q if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Don't have an Echo but it works on my Yampa. Next SL with the race face nw single ring reversed. Chainline is good. Not sure why you say it isn't ideal. Unless you want multiple rings up front.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    I used the 170mm Cinch on mine - no problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I only say it's not ideal because I think some cranksets don't allow you to get your ring into the proper chainline. I think the cinch/direct mount cranks work well, but others might not? Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbstimp View Post
    Can anyone who own's an echo help me figure this out... I"m about to get an echo, but it's missing a crankset. In other threads I've seen mention of people talking to borealis and being told a crankset with a 170 rear spindle can work. Would love to know who has successfully used a 170 crank in their echo, and what crankset you used. Did you get the chainline on target? Fully aware that this isn't ideal, but I've seen mention of people doing it, and the fact that the borealis says it can be done is intriguing. Would love a narrower Q if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    I think the RF169 crank will work. But keep in mind the Echo is a 190mm rear axle so you will likely have some cog changes that occur when back pedaling in the tall gears. Unless you flip the ring, then it might be good to go.

Here's a note I had: RF169 (169.5) 203-Q chianline- 68.5 / 75 - Flipped Ring

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have run a 170 spaced Next crank on a Echo for years with both 10 and 11 speed Shimano.
    Currently using a Absolute Black ring 6mm offest ring...have run others.
    Zero issues.
    I don't know why people obsess over chainline numbers

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I found this online:
    https://www.fatbike.com/technical-specs/

This is all the tech specs for Borealis bikes. It took forever to finally come across this page even though it's at the bottom of ever page on their site. Borealis is basically saying they are using 170mm spaced cranks with the direct mount chainrings flipped.

This also has info on correct setup for BB spacers. Very helpful page if you are an owner or potential owner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbstimp View Post
    I found this online:
    https://www.fatbike.com/technical-specs/

This is all the tech specs for Borealis bikes. It took forever to finally come across this page even though it's at the bottom of ever page on their site. Borealis is basically saying they are using 170mm spaced cranks with the direct mount chainrings flipped.

This also has info on correct setup for BB spacers. Very helpful page if you are an owner or potential owner.
    Nice! Good info!! Thanks for the useful info instead of sharing some degrading opinion of people who obsess over chainlines.