Nov 2007

Borealis Carbon Fatbike

Someone posted a pic of this on here already, but here's some more info:
    Borealis Enters the Fatbike Market with Carbon Yampa

All fat, all the time.
    Awesome!

mtbr member

Borealis Carbon Fatbike

Pretty sweet. I might have to sell my everything to get one of those. Complete bike price isn't bad compared to frame.

mtbr member
    Looks like a game changer! Carbon and 190mm spacing! Will fit 4.8 tires no problem! Can't wait to see one in person.
    The LPG

This place needs an enema
    Saw and (briefly) rode one last week. Hardtails aren't my cup o' tea but this'n looked and felt very well thought out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The best/most refined looking carbon offering so far, in my opinion.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    =3

Meow.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Click went the bar.
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lancelot View Post
    Looks like a game changer! Carbon and 190mm spacing! Will fit 4.8 tires no problem! Can't wait to see one in person.
    Everytime someone say's game changer it seems to be mean the complete opposite......

Example:
    Anchor says its new milk bottle technology will be a "game changer" for the fresh milk market.
    "Triple layer and light proof? The stuff lives in a fridge most of the time ! what a waste of $"

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yet another "industry standard". We sure did blow past 170 as a "standard" quickly. How about 197 to accommodate 190 plus thru-axle?

Fat & Single
    I like it... very much !

$2249 for frame and forks isn't that bad. Pivot and Niner want $2200 for their hardtail frames without a fork and that's with China offering non brand name hardtails for $350.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I didn't know what I was looking for but I think I've just found it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Priced right around the Carbon Beargrease X9 build. It will be interesting to see how the Yampa & Salsa compare. Salsa better get with it, they aren't telling anybody anything at this point and that includes their dealers.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Thumper
    I have all the parts needed except frame and crankset for a crazy light Fat for my winter treks. I aiming for under 23lbs.

I had my eye on the Project Murphy. They were suppose to come out in Februaury. No word since.

This Borealis looks great. Weighs in perfect. But 190mm rear. I won`t be doing it unless they can size down rear as option.

Levi Early
    I think this looks like a great platform. I have had a carbon beargrease in the back of my mind here lately but this could be another option. I do like options, especially having a qr15 option on the front.

mtbr member
    Bummer to find out that XL's won't be available anytime soon.
    The LPG

mtbr member
    Certainly sounds interesting...and light

Living the thug life.
    If you want to fit the biggest tires/rims out there and have a full drive train a 190mm rear hub (or virtual 190mm hub like the Moonlander) is the way to do it. My guess is 190mm will be the adopted standard going forth.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post

$2249 for frame and forks isn't that bad. Pivot and Niner want $2200 for their hardtail frames without a fork and that's with China offering non brand name hardtails for $350.
    Actually... it says "Frameset: $1799" when you click on the Yampa Frame tab. Not sure if there is a web error or what the deal is. http://www.borealisbikes.com/bikes/frame/

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    This is super exciting and for what I use my Muk for this will be fantastic I only use the bike on trails and the Borealis will be fantastic on our local trails

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It should build up very nicely with the new 1 x 11 XO that we should be seeing downunder in September

mtbr member
    That weight is surely an error?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh View Post
    That weight is surely an error?
    Nah. A local dealer told me that the weight weenie version will be a different build than the one pictured.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Nah. A local dealer told me that the weight weenie version will be a different build than the one pictured.
    That'll be the version with 29er rims and tyres then?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Actually... it says "Frameset: $1799" when you click on the Yampa Frame tab. Not sure if there is a web error or what the deal is. http://www.borealisbikes.com/bikes/frame/
    I guess that means the fork is pretty pricey at $450 or maybe more separately.

What will the hubs cost?

I assume the 15mmQR option is 135mm. that may help make suspension forks more accessible at some point, especially if it has front rotor spacing.

Laramie, Wyoming
    It looks like the carbon beargrease just got kicked off the list.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh View Post
    That'll be the version with 29er rims and tyres then?
    Ha ha! Maybe, but I think it can be done without getting TOO crazy. My bike's a little over 27 lbs, and if I ditch the pedals (like all the manufacturers seem to do), and switch to an all-carbon fork like the Borealis or Carver, I'd be around 25.5lbs. The carbon frame and XX1 will get you under 25 without doing anything dumb like carbon brake rotors or a saddle you'd never want to sit on for more than 15 minutes.

That said, I'm not likely to get one since I'm pretty well squared away in the bike department at this time.

p.s. to Borealis: Spend 10 minutes fleshing out your website!

mtbr member
    I'm in love, Carbon frame that fits a clown shoe/Bud/Lou combo.... Price isn't bad at all either

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Borealis Carbon Fatbike

A couple of things have me scratching my head.

I live in Maryland and we do not get much good snow anymore so my scratching is in regards to how I use my bike and what I desire in a replacement for my current fatbike.

I wonder how many people will pre order a bike without knowing the geometry?

Posting a picture in a rumor thread seems like an odd way to reveal a new bike.

Is a light bike advantageous when maximum floatation is desired?

From my perspective a 4 seasons trail bike would be a better use of carbon.

I am curious to see if anyone else feels the same way.

Regards,
    Steven
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76

aka bOb
    Sweet frame, best Carbon Fatty showing to date! What I don't understand though is the frame is set up and made to handle the max tire/rim size for float but the upward curved top tube is kind of counter-productive for float type riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I agree, there are several contradictions. It is a great looking bike, after seeing the picture I was hopeful that it was a trail bike but was bummed once I saw it was designed for 190mm spacing.

I will keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Sweet frame, best Carbon Fatty showing to date! What I don't understand though is the frame is set up and made to handle the max tire/rim size for float but the upward curved top tube is kind of counter-productive for float type riding.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76

Re: Borealis Carbon Fatbike

...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

Sup
    you really do hate anything even slightly retro looking
    did you have a bad accident with a Shwinn cruiser ?
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I don't see why any toptube should curve upwards other than styling, and when you are dealing with large diameter tires and possibly front suspension axle to center lengths, it is a recipe for not enough stand-over clearance, especially for people like me, who have short legs, but have a long torso, and need a large frame to get enough room lengthwise.

structurally, a straight tube will always be best for strength and stiffness, and if flexibility is desired, the curve can go either way and accomplish the same result. I guess if the top tube length is what it needs to be for a given size, but the seat tube is shorter than normal, an upward curve can be used and still have the same stand-over height, but you would have to use a longer seat post. I guess styling is what sells though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    by the way, speaking of carbon fatbike frames, what else is out there?

everybody knows about the beargrease carbon.

I have seen the 38 frameworks Hogback on their site. Has anyone gotten a Hogback, and posted about it here yet?

What happened with the On-One carbon Fatty? Was that intended for limited production, or was it just someone playing around, teasing us?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt-Orange View Post
    you really do hate anything even slightly retro looking
    did you have a bad accident with a Shwinn cruiser ?

Why yes, yes I did! But it didn't involve a Schwinn, it had something to do with a 55 chevy, a Gypsy, her female pet chimpanzee named Goliath, and a pair of fuzzy dice but that's a whole nother story. Come to think of it Goliath might have actually been a male, that would explain a lot

I'm trying to dig up that post holed pic of you up at the UD, it's a perfect example of why standover is needed.

Laramie, Wyoming
    In deep snow, it doesn't matter what the height of the top tube is. If the bike has one, it's too high.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    In deep snow, it doesn't matter what the height of the top tube is. If the bike has one, it's too high.
    I respectfully disagree, but then again our idea of deep snow can be completely different and where your from I think it is. Sometimes a little extra standover can make a huge difference and sometimes your just screwed either way. I would rather take the side of caution and have it if I need it and yes sometimes I have needed it.

All fat, all the time.
    I am still holding my breath for a fat Ibis mojo frame hehe dreaming but it would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    by the way, speaking of carbon fatbike frames, what else is out there?

everybody knows about the beargrease carbon.

I have seen the 38 frameworks Hogback on their site. Has anyone gotten a Hogback, and posted about it here yet?

What happened with the On-One carbon Fatty? Was that intended for limited production, or was it just someone playing around, teasing us?

mtbr member
    Fatbike product launch script:

1: show carefully staged pictures of prototype

2: release extremely unlikely weight

3: wait for the hype to roll in.

4A: Vaporware: Go back to step 1.

4B: production: note that production model differs greatly from prototype. Note that weight has doubled. Note that price has gone up.

5: Profit.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    Salsa product launch script:

1: show carefully staged pictures of prototype

2: release extremely unlikely weight

3: wait for the hype to roll in.

4A: Vaporware: Go back to step 1.

4B: production: note that production model differs greatly from prototype. Note that weight has doubled. Note that price has gone up.

5: Profit.
    Fixed it for you.

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Where is the frame manufactured? I don't think I need a 190 rear end where I live and enjoy riding my fattie. Do you need to run a crank on this that gives you a greater Q factor than say, my Fatback crank on my Al Fatback with 170mm rear end???

Laramie, Wyoming
    I respectfully disagree, but then again our idea of deep snow can be completely different and where your from I think it is. Sometimes a little extra standover can make a huge difference and sometimes your just screwed either way. I would rather take the side of caution and have it if I need it and yes sometimes I have needed it.
    Well, on the trails that I mostly ride during the winter, it's easiest if you stop at a tree. If you put a foot down, but not on the packed path, you are going to be waist deep in snow. And, at that point, it doesn't matter where your top tube is at.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Interestingly, I contacted Borealis as they suggested on their site and told them I wanted one of their bikes. NO RESPONSE.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Interestingly, I contacted Borealis as they suggested on their site and told them I wanted one of their bikes. NO RESPONSE.
    How long did you wait before declaring response failure?

I cold contact people pretty frequently for being Just Some Guy (which would have given me a panic attack years ago lol), some places get back quickly, some take their sweet time.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

Fat Biker
    I sent an email to Adam directly figuring the website might not have set it or lost it in 1000 other responses. He mailed me right back with info and his phone number. I called him up and discussed some things.
    I then preordered one. Yeah Alphazz, I'm hooked on riding one in all conditions/seasons now that I have tasted the phat phun
    Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-BlogUpdated when I feel like it or when I get mail

Ride good on the internet
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    You know that the 2014 Salsa stuff is getting launched July 22-24th, right? If it's like last year, production 2014 stuff will be there.

I will as well. I'll try and get the Carbon bike on a scale.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I must say I agree with wyoracerx as I too had a fast and enthusiastic response directly from Adam at Borealis when I sent an enquiry Nothing but very helpful I found

mtbr member
    I got an email within 2 days with a listed phone number for further questions.
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Borealis has a pic of a sub-24lb bike on their FB page. Looks like it has the carbon rims from the dude who posts here sometimes.

https://www.facebook.com/BorealisBikes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast