mtbr member
    Aug 2012

BMX style bars on a fat bike?

Has anyone used a bmx style handlebar on a fat bike, I am looking for a more upright position due to back issues (but I still want to ride) is there a good brand of bar that would fit that description? Origin 8 has a couple but I dont know if they are too small diameter or not.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated

9:zero:7
    I'm thinking of the same thing, I had a Sun Spider cruiser with the BMX tipe 72cm wide handlebar and I really liked the upright position and the back sweep on that one. I actually contacted the local dealer, he said he can order me one. Still hesitating to pull the trigger on it.
    Only the dead fish swims with the current!

mtbr member
    Do you ride bikes already or are building this to get some exercise due to the back issue?

Just wondering because an upright riding position actually makes impacts more jarring to the spine. Stretched out positions allow you to absorb the impact with your core and upper body and not just take the hit straight up your vertebrate.

I highly recommend Immortis Bucket Bars if you need to go this route. 4" rise by 32" width so you can cut them down to however wide you want. BMX cruiser bars are normally 5-6" rise and BMX bars are normally 8-9+" of rise and will totally throw the handling off.
    Immortis Bike Co.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thats what I was looking for I am not looking to be completely upright just more than a flat bar Has anyone used those bars on a build? Will they fit the the regular stem?

mtbr member
    The Immortis bars take a BMX stem, 22.2mm. It'll be pretty hard to find much longer than a 50mm stem for 22.2 bars. You can easily shim up to 25.4 though.

You might just want to try some 40-50mm rise bars first. The Immortis bars work on my dirt jumper because I'm 6'9", they'd put the bars up too high for anything/anyone else and would be too much for anything more than this bike with a short suspension fork.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    I'm using a Brave Stiffee 3"rise bar on a 50mm 5deg rise stem.
    I'm 6.5ft and i like the upright position.
    And i do think that anything higher will probably be to much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BMX style bars on a fat bike?-dscn0226.jpg  

BMX style bars on a fat bike?-dscn0228.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    What stem did you use for that? all the mtn bike stems are 31mm and the bmx are 25 do the bmx parts fit?

mtbr member
    Okay, A traditional MTB handlebar used to be 25.4mm. Oversized MTB handlebars are 31.8mm. BMX bars are usually a 7/8" or 22.2. Looks like Rabies010 is using a BMX stem as well. Most modern BMX stems are 1 1/8" steerers unless you get a 1" race stem.

BMX Frontload Stems: DAN'S COMP - Bmx Bikes, Bmx Parts, Bmx Clothing, Bmx Shoes and Bmx Accessories!

BMX Topload Stems: DAN'S COMP - Bmx Bikes, Bmx Parts, Bmx Clothing, Bmx Shoes and Bmx Accessories!

I personally like frontload stems myself because they are easier to bolt the bar on. As for bars, here are a few options.
    Parts Parts Bars at Danscomp
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatracer View Post
    What stem did you use for that? all the mtn bike stems are 31mm and the bmx are 25 do the bmx parts fit?
    Quote Originally Posted by davesauvageau View Post
    Okay, A traditional MTB handlebar used to be 25.4mm. Oversized MTB handlebars are 31.8mm. BMX bars are usually a 7/8" or 22.2. Looks like Rabies010 is using a BMX stem as well. Most modern BMX stems are 1 1/8" steerers unless you get a 1" race stem.

I personally like frontload stems myself because they are easier to bolt the bar on. As for bars, here are a few options.
    I am using a Da Domb Dax 25.4mm stem, and the bars are 25.4mm as well.
    So they are no real bmx parts.
    But nowadays there are a lot of riserbars to choose from that there must be one to suit your needs.
    To me the wide and high bars with a short stem feels so much better in terms of comfort and control.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Will shifters and brakes fit on the 25.4mm bars?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatracer View Post
    Will shifters and brakes fit on the 25.4mm bars?
    No matter the bar clamp (stem) diameter, mtb/BMX bars are 22.2 at the grip/controls.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    You guys have been a great resource for ideas. Do any of you have resources for a set of bars such as the Brave Stiffee 3"rise bar?
    Dans comp has a lot of bmx stuff but not like those.
    Thanks

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    I would suggest looking here : MTB Riser Bars

I bought my Brave Stiffee there as well, but they don't have them anymore.
    But this one looks pretty good as well : DMR Cro Mo Braced Wingbar | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Good luck !

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ok looks like i found a good candidate here is a link to it they also make a 5 inch but it is 2 inches shorter.
    Most likely need all the room you can get for grips shifters and brakes.
    Can anyone give opinions on these as well as what diameter the clamp area is?

S&M Bikes - 5.75 - 29er Race Handlebar

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Rabies010
    What tires are you running on that bike in the picture? Black Floyds?

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Yep, those are Floyd's.
    And the bars in your link look interesting.
    They might be what i would use with the original fork.