Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bluto Tuning Thread

187K views 699 replies 165 participants last post by  nstelemark 
#1 ·
I know this is a more limited group, but for any/ all Bluto adopters, where are you running your fork? I am having to drop my pressure way below recommended to get any good action out of the fork and get full travel. Even at 75psi, I get 15% sag and the fork feels super stiction-ey. Dropped it down to 65 to try later today. I'm 165- 170 all kitted up, so should be 100+ psi.

#564 ·
I'd say just check the air pression, which will fall because of the cold and go! We have a 100 and a 120 here and didn't touch anything than the psi and everything is very smooth. As for tire's pressure, it's the condition of the snow that is dictating it, not the Bluto.

#566 ·
Just a data point here. I picked up a Fatboy Expert that already ha a Bluto RL on it - 100mm. I was not convinced I was keeping it (Fat bike is the winter/snow steed only - seem sto usually ride between 10 and 30F) and was considering putting a carbon fork back on - until I converted the fork back to 80mm per Specialized geometry and installed the Turnagain cold weather seal kit (which I ordered in late December). Kit is awfully expensive for what it is - but have to say now the fork feels great all the time. Definitely not taking it off.

#574 ·
Couple questions: skimming through this thread, it appears the RCT3 is the preferred fork Has the RL been updated? Why does it cost more?

Second Question: Currently I'm running 15x142 thru axle. If I go with the Bluto I'd need to have the wheel re-dished. Are there any issues with doing this or would I be better off having the wheel rebuilt with a 15X150 hub. I'm think about picking up a leftover Beargrease 2 and setting it up as a summer trail bike with the Bluto.

Thanks.

#575 ·
I've noticed lately my Bluto seemed to be running a little stiff so I released air from positive and negative sides and pumped it back up. Seems better, but when I check sag, it's only moving a few mm's. I have a 100mm fork, running 3 tokens at 70 lbs pressure and weigh around 185. Any idea why the sag is so low? I'm wondering if my pressure gauge is way off. It seems most people my weight are running higher pressure. I ride some pretty rocky/rooty trails and steamroll stuff at speed and rarely bottom out. Damper problem maybe? Rebuild time?
I have the remote lockout version and the lockout seems to be working fine.

#577 ·
....... sag, it's only moving a few mm's. I have a 100mm fork, running 3 tokens at 70 lbs pressure and weigh around 185. Any idea why the sag is so low? I'm wondering if my pressure gauge is way off. It seems most people my weight are running higher pressure. I ride some pretty rocky/rooty trails and steamroll stuff at speed and rarely bottom out. Damper problem maybe? Rebuild time?
I have the remote lockout version and the lockout seems to be working fine.
I have the crown-lock out on a 100mm aftermarket Bluto. For the longest time I couldn't get the low speed knob to even rotate. Once freed up it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I weigh that dressed/geared up, no tokens, 70 psi, 15% sag and just used all 100mm for the first time. I'd never used more than 80mm with 1 token. 2 tokens were worse and all 3 were a joke. It'd ramp so much at the end of the stroke I'd never actually reach full travel with the low psi tires. Tires would squash up first. Just a thought that with many of the same variables eliminated we are experiencing different results with different tokens. They are easy to swap at home.

Older midrange components with a mediocre factory build have resulted in 12 pages of inconsistently poor results. Tough to know exactly what the problems are. Seems many can't even get it to perform as well as its 2.x tire counterpart.

#580 ·
That's wierd you can't get it to bottom out with 2 tokens. I tun 4 tokens in mine with like 65psi. I weigh like 195ish with winter gear/lights. I consistently get full travel.

My only complaint is with the amount of stiction i have. I need to rebuild mine with some slick honey, i think. I've just got to get some fork oil.

Why are people using a heavier weighted 7.5 vs the stock recommended 5wt? I feel like colder weather should be using something like a 2.5wt

#597 ·
If you let all the air out of the top, should the fork collapse and stay down?
No.

There's still air in the top, even at 0 PSI, and it will compress when you push the fork down. Also, the lowers have air in, and while the seals around the stanchions aren't perfect, they'll hold air long enough to make the forks spring up again.

Do the Blutos even have a negative air chamber? (I didn't think so).

If the air pressure in the 'top' is holding fom week to week, then there isn't a leak.

#598 ·
I have a new bluto and I want to convert it to the RCT3 damper. I upgraded my older 2013 Reba a couple years ago and it made a big difference. However, I upgraded the rebound assembly also, to the shimmed version with dig valve. Do the new Blutos work the same way? Will I need a new rebound assembly and rct3 damper to take full advantage?

Also, is it using the A3 version for a 100mm bluto? Thanks guys.

#604 ·
My apologies if this is a duplicate post. I typed one and can't find it. Not sure if I failed to hit post or put it in the wrong thread.

I'm thinking about swapping to Slick Honey grease in a Bluto I just picked up. I ride in Minnesota and last year down to temps below 0F. I read through the documentation and it looks to me that I have to drop the lowers to clean out and change grease. And this requires a fluid change and a new crush washer for the rebound speed side. Can someone confirm if there is an easy and quick way to swap to Slick Honey?

#605 ·
Not a fluid change for the damper side. You do need new crush washers and crush washer retainers every time you pull the lowers. Watch this - it shows exactly what you need to do, tools needed, shock oil amounts, etc. (replacing the orings is optional). Its pretty easy, makes a big difference.

#606 ·
Does 11.4015.544.270 also fit a 120mm Bluto? I wonder because theres some other upgrade kit (which does not seem to be RCT3) mentioning 120mm forks specifically and the 11.4015.544.270 one mentions 80-100mm for at least SID forks ... it's unclear if this also applies to Bluto?

#608 ·
I am 149 lbs ready to ride. Bike is an Ibis Trans-Fat. with 120mm Bluto Tire is Jumbo Jim. Terrain is sometimes rock gardens. Pressure in fork is 75 psi as indicated with my Fox pump - which seems to be the correct for preload.

What should I set the two rebound dials on given my weight?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.