Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Parts# 11.4018.025.001 and 11.4018.025.002 are what you need.
    Thanks for the info, but those are both coming up with 26 rebound(001) and the 27.5/29 rebound(002). Are they length dependent if I ever wanted to bump my travel? Also, do you know the correct PN for the 2015-2016 rct3 damper? Thanks man!

Norðwegr
    Oh I pasted the wrong one, I got the numbers stored for future use, but I'm on my phone so it's a pita to doublecheck them If it wasnt the second one it should be # 11.4015.544.270

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Oh I pasted the wrong one, I got the numbers stored for future use, but I'm on my phone so it's a pita to doublecheck them If it wasnt the second one it should be # 11.4015.544.270
    Awesome! So should we be using the 27.5/29" rebound, or the 26" rebound? I assume 27.5/29 since it's longer? Thanks man, really appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    My apologies if this is a duplicate post. I typed one and can't find it. Not sure if I failed to hit post or put it in the wrong thread.

I'm thinking about swapping to Slick Honey grease in a Bluto I just picked up. I ride in Minnesota and last year down to temps below 0F. I read through the documentation and it looks to me that I have to drop the lowers to clean out and change grease. And this requires a fluid change and a new crush washer for the rebound speed side. Can someone confirm if there is an easy and quick way to swap to Slick Honey?

mtbr member
    Not a fluid change for the damper side. You do need new crush washers and crush washer retainers every time you pull the lowers. Watch this - it shows exactly what you need to do, tools needed, shock oil amounts, etc. (replacing the orings is optional). Its pretty easy, makes a big difference.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Does 11.4015.544.270 also fit a 120mm Bluto? I wonder because theres some other upgrade kit (which does not seem to be RCT3) mentioning 120mm forks specifically and the 11.4015.544.270 one mentions 80-100mm for at least SID forks ... it's unclear if this also applies to Bluto?

mtbr member
    I'm using the 44270 damper on a 16' Bluto, along with a 110 air shaft. The new damper assembly was the same length as my original stock RL damper at 100mm, so I don't think it's length dependent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I am 149 lbs ready to ride. Bike is an Ibis Trans-Fat. with 120mm Bluto Tire is Jumbo Jim. Terrain is sometimes rock gardens. Pressure in fork is 75 psi as indicated with my Fox pump - which seems to be the correct for preload.

What should I set the two rebound dials on given my weight?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    I am 149 lbs ready to ride. Bike is an Ibis Trans-Fat. with 120mm Bluto Tire is Jumbo Jim. Terrain is sometimes rock gardens. Pressure in fork is 75 psi as indicated with my Fox pump - which seems to be the correct for preload.

What should I set the two rebound dials on given my weight?
    There's only 1 rebound dial.....at the bottom of the fork. Ride the bike and set it to where YOU like.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Ride the bike and set it to where YOU like.
    This Fox suspension designer says there are 20 clicks on forks not for personal choice but because of the wide variation in rider weights. He said out of the 20, there are only three clicks that you can select from based on your riding style and preferences:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/To-The-Point-Rebound-Damping-2013.html

So I really what to know which three clicks are for me to choose from. I have it at click #9 (with 0 being slowest and most damping).

I lowered my pressure down to 65 psi and was not able to make it bottom out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Bluto Tuning Thread

Hey gang - I am looking to reduce my travel from 100 to 80mm. Are any extra parts needed for this? I know guys changing to/from 120 need another part but couldn't find anything about 100 to 80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    What is the benefit of reducing travel by 20mm? Can't you get the same effect by turning up the compression damping one click?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish29er View Post
    Hey gang - I am looking to reduce my travel from 100 to 80mm. Are any extra parts needed for this? I know guys changing to/from 120 need another part but couldn't find anything about 100 to 80.

Travel is determined by the air shaft. You need an 80mm air shaft.

ac

mtbr member
    May 2011

If I recall correctly, you've posted in the past about owning a Wren fatbike suspension fork. Did you get rid of it? Did you encounter problems that caused you to choose a Bluto for this bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FitmanNJ View Post
    If I recall correctly, you've posted in the past about owning a Wren fatbike suspension fork. Did you get rid of it? Did you encounter problems that caused you to choose a Bluto for this bike?
    Nope wasn't me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
    Travel is determined by the air shaft. You need an 80mm air shaft.

ac
    Cool thanks for confirming

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rda
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    hi,

I have a bluto on my mukluk, i was wanting to do a service on it, but was looking for advice on any upgrades to do while in. I see people talking about differant dampers and tokens? I am 215-220 without gear, fairly agressive rider, don't really jump though. ride lots of logs and rocky areas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have one token fitted in my Bluto's.

Weigh 180lbs , found that one token stopped the fork from bottoming out too much whilst still getting all the travel.

Merendon Junkie
    I feel tokens are a must for the Bluto, without them it bottoms out way to easily and harshly. I have not yet brought myself to put some on my bluto but its something I will need to do at some point.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    This thread says a lot about the benefits of a rigid fork.
    Until you have pedal some distance on a frozen, post holed trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Has anyone converted your bluto into a dual air setup? I had a 2012 dual air reba laying around and fit the dual air spring. I always liked the dual air and I have to say,that the fork feels much better.

One thing I always disliked about the reba and the bluto is that it seems to develop stiction at about 10hrs. Not terrible but not butter smooth like when it is freshly lubed lower. I use slick honey and keep the stanctions clean. Anyone else notice this?

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
    One thing I always disliked about the reba and the bluto is that it seems to develop stiction at about 10hrs. Not terrible but not butter smooth like when it is freshly lubed lower. I use slick honey and keep the stanctions clean. Anyone else notice this?
    I have noticed this when the fork is due for a lowers maintnance. More than likely your foam rings are dry and/or dirty. When the rings are impregnated with oil, there is always a smooth coating on the stanchions and no stiction that I can tell.

mtbr member
    there was a bluto thread about air pressure a while back .just wanted to add that i checked mine today and it's still the same as it was a month ago and the month before that. great forks imo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Cool thanks for confirming
    Lemme know if you need a 80mm shaft - I have one unridden that I took out to go to 100mm...

g

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    ..Hi all, looking for info on bottomless tokens (just picked up a kit).

My Bluto had 2 tokens in place stock, Motobecane Ti Night Train, so I added 1 more for 3 total. I was able to drop the PSI about 20 lbs just playing around in the driveway. I'll have to see what it feels like on the trails soon.

How many tokens can I add total?

Thanks!...
    ..sleep is good...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Check out this chart.
    Attachment 980158

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Now that MRP has a ramp cartridge for 32mm RS, will probably try that out...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Check out this chart.
    Attachment 980158

THANKS!

So my 100 mm Bluto will need a new air cartridge to be 120? OR just remove the 1st 2 tokens that came w/ the Bluto?

Coming from a long lineage of Lefty's so need to read up on these forks...
    ..sleep is good...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Air shafts determine the travel. You have to change the 100mm air shaft for a 120mm.

Tokens determine the ramp-up rate of the air spring. If you're at correct sag and bottoming out then you add a token. It's personal prefrence. I tend to run more sag and more tokens because i like the small bump sensitivity but do bottom out the fork pretty frequently.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    OK, so I have some questions. I just rebuilt my Bluto rct3, and I am having more stiction now, than I had before I rebuilt it. I used slick honey lube where noted in SRAM manual, I used RS specified fluid and amounts. I didn't lube the lower leg seal as there was already some grease there, and the manual said not to if it was present.

The only thing that I can think of is my foam rings seemed to be a little damaged when I removed the lowers (the red travel ring fell off and I didn't notice until it was back together). There was a little bit of debris in the lower, so I removed it and checked the foam to make sure there were not loose pieces, then reassembled.

Does anybody have any recommendations on what to check for next?

mtbr member
    Did you soak the foam rings in oil?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yes, the rings were soaked in oil prior to installation.

mtbr member
    looking for setup advice.

farley 7, i'm installing an RCT3 100 MM.

I weigh about 210 in my birthday suit.

From the chart, it comes with 2 tokens.

Should i be adding a 3rd and/or 4th token? Air pressure recommendations?

I don't do any jumping.

Thanks
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I like 2 tokens in mine, I'm the same weight. Pressure is at about 100 if I remember right. I have sag set to 25%.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    ..been running 3 tokens at 95-100 psi w/ very good benefit; previously 2 token and 160s.. i'm 180-185# w/ my pack.

riding in all manner of snow, ice, slush, dirt, mud and enjoying the softer set-up 2/ the 3 tokens and the bluto eating up the smaller stuff w/ some bottom-out prevention still.

Great info here, thanks everyone!
    Micah
    ..sleep is good...

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Just installed an RCT3 100mm, is the PSI chart accurate? Mine is set at 125psi and felt fine without setting sag on a short ride last night.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    200lbs, 100mm Bluto and I run 115 psi with 4 tokens. The Bluto is way too linear and needs the tokens to get reasonable sag without bottoming out.

mtbr member
    I have a 2016 Bluto RL with the oneloc remote/damper, I'd like to get rid of the remote and put a RCT3 damper in
    Part number 11.4015.544.270?

Have read a few posts suggesting that the rebound damper needs changing to because of the dig valve.
    Looking at the spare parts catalog it only lists one rebound damper for the bluto (part no 11.4018.025.011), along with the 4 different compression dampers.

Am I right in saying I only need to swap the compression damper?

mtbr member
    It is my understanding from what i read in another thread that the rebound damper has been updated in the Pike but have NOT confirmed the new Bluto RCT3 rcvd it as well.

My question is if i buy a new RCT3 Bluto will that include the latest RCT3 "Charger" damper and the updated rebound damper also?

If so, what year or serial#?

In other words when did the bluto get the latest Charger damper and new rebound damper?

mtbr member
    There is a "Rapid Recovery" decal on the fork leg of my RCT3 Blutos (down by the rebound damper adjuster) which I *think* refers to the upgraded "dig valve" rebound damper (happy to be corrected).

I believe you can replace the RC compression damper with RCT3 without it being mandatory to also change the rebound damper.

FWIW, I tend to leave the compression damper on mine in the fully open setting, anyway, which makes the RCT3 somewhat pointless

mtbr member
    Does anyone happen to know if the 100 mm 27.5/29 Reba air shaft is compatible for converting the Bluto to 100mm?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hi all, I recently bought an RCT3 bluto on ebay. Seller had upgraded from 100mm to 120mm travel, great. It seemed to be working well but I quickly noticed that it bottomed out hard about half way through the travel, even with all air removed. Many threads I read seemed to suggest this was a hydrolock problem caused by oil in the upper damper migrating to the lowers. I expected to find excessive oil in the lower damper, but did not. With the lowers removed I could not push the damper tube upwards very far- leading me to believe the problem was caused by an over filled upper damper. I put 5wt maxima green fork oil at the correct level (75mm from oil to top of threads, tad less than 106cc iirc), maxima 15wt in the lowers, and re-greased everything with Super Slick and all is fine now. I did not replace any seals or o-rings, just the crush washers that attach the lowers. I got a 50 pack of the poly washers and metal washers for about $10 a piece shipped.

This thread with all it's information was very helpful, so I thought I would add to the discussion. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Well I need some help from you guys. I just installed a 80mm Bluto. On my 2nd ride it will now only return to the 30% mark. How do I fix this? I read about bleeding the air out of the lower. But I have no clue how to do this and I cant find a video online. This is my first suspension bike.

Thanks,

Keith

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Well I figured out how to bleed the air. I got that fixed waiting to see if it happends again

But I noticed I was bottoming out to often. So I bought some Tokens. I pulled off the cap to install 1-2 and seen it already has 4 from the factory on my 80mm RCT3. Is that normal? How many more can I add?

passed out in your garden
    Check this post http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/bluto-tuning-thread-921527-post13013644.html

If l was you, ld go back and read the last ~120 posts in this thread, it answers your questions.
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    4 tokens max as per Sram/RS manual.

Could be low on oil in damper hence no or little damping.
    The tires are the things on your bike that make contact with the trail.

mtbr member
    Anyone know if the current RS bluto service kits have newer (better) o-rings?

Or is it best just to get some at my hardware store?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hello
    building up a new bike with a Bluto
    first real suspension fork I've had in general as well.
    So questions...

I have the air pressure set so sag is about 20-25%
    and this seems fine for riding in general, no pedal bobbing, feels fine dropping off curb heights

but there's one situation where the fork bottoms out consistently - If I do a front brake endo on pavement; rear wheel up in the air, temporarially balanced on the front wheel.
    Fork will completely compress then.

Is that a Normal Expectation for a fork?
    Or should I be tuning to prevent that behaviour? -adding tokens and/or more air pressure

Thanks

passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by xenologer View Post
    Hello
    building up a new bike with a Bluto
    first real suspension fork I've had in general as well.
    So questions...

I have the air pressure set so sag is about 20-25%
    and this seems fine for riding in general, no pedal bobbing, feels fine dropping off curb heights

but there's one situation where the fork bottoms out consistently - If I do a front brake endo on pavement; rear wheel up in the air, temporarially balanced on the front wheel.
    Fork will completely compress then.

Is that a Normal Expectation for a fork?
    Or should I be tuning to prevent that behaviour? -adding tokens and/or more air pressure

Thanks
    To be honest I dont know,
    but I have my Bluto sag at 15%, and it doesnt bottom out when I do stoppies, compresses about 60 - 70%.
    Theres a few variables though. type of Bluto, Bluto settings, weight etc
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Hy guys,
    I have read, there is a new compression kit available for the RS Bluto!
    RockShox Charger 2 RLC Dämpfer Upgrade Kit für SID 27,5/29 Zoll (2012-2016), Reba 27,5/29 Zoll (2012-2017), Bluto - 00.4018.783.003
    Has anyone tested this compression kit?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    This damper upgrade totally transforms the bluto. It feels much closer to a pike. I think with this damper the only thing that could be complained about is its flex but me weighing in at 170 fully geared it is not an issue for me.

mtbr member
    The charger 2 RLC is far better than the RCT3 damper i presume?

For 250$ what is the real world difference, please.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I can't speak to the difference between the charger and rtc3 as I upgraded from an rl damper. There is way more small bump compliance as well as support through the whole stroke. Also you can adjust the lsc. Less stiction as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkerik View Post
    The charger 2 RLC is far better than the RCT3 damper i presume?

For 250$ what is the real world difference, please.
    You'd be crazy to drop $250 on a fork that's only worth $350-400.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it won't make the bacon taste better.

Sorry, I know there are an arse ton of Blutos owners, so lots of opportunity for arse hurt, but I tell it like I see it.

I've had four Blutos, three Wren, and two Mastodon. I still have have one used Bluto RC3 in a box (for sale!) and two Mastodon (STD and EXT).

The Mastodon actually ride better than a Pike and there is no flex or stiction to speak of.

Save for a Mastodon.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567