Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bluto Tuning Thread

187K views 699 replies 165 participants last post by  nstelemark 
#1 ·
I know this is a more limited group, but for any/ all Bluto adopters, where are you running your fork? I am having to drop my pressure way below recommended to get any good action out of the fork and get full travel. Even at 75psi, I get 15% sag and the fork feels super stiction-ey. Dropped it down to 65 to try later today. I'm 165- 170 all kitted up, so should be 100+ psi.

#90 ·
I'm 175 or so all loaded up to ride, I run about 95PSI, feels great, I bottom on the biggest hits, but most rides I come back with about 1/4" of travel unused. I don't feel any stiction at all, but that could just be me. I had my fork lose air once, but it seems to be holding now, which is a little weird.

#94 ·
What travel fork are you working with? Try adding another token or two depending. I am running the Bluto at 100mm and have three tokens in there to get a great ride from it. I do however find it leaks down air after a ride some times, but only about 15psi. Not sure why the leak down happens as I have taken it apart and everything looks good. I have extra tokens if someone wants 1 or two.

#97 ·
I ordered mine from my LBS. They come in a 5 pack and are black. I believe they are around $15 for 5. I ended up putting two in my 120mm Bluto (I'm 160 lbs) and it feels really nice.

The 80mm comes with 4 installed, the 100mm has 2 and the 120 has zero.

#99 ·
I ordered mine from my LBS. They come in a 5 pack and are black. I believe they are around $15 for 5. I ended up putting two in my 120mm Bluto (I'm 160 lbs) and it feels really nice.

The 80mm comes with 4 installed, the 100mm has 2 and the 120 has zero.
Okay just looked into these tokens, ie watched a few rockshox videos on YouTube :) but I've the opposite problem, in that even though I'm running under pressure for my weight, the resistance still ramps up way to quickly and I'm getting nowhere near full travel ....any thoughts, or anyone else experience this??

#98 ·
I need to get some tokens, my bike w/ Bluto should be here at the end of the month or early November. I am 240# and have the 120mm version coming (on a Moto Sturgis Bullet). I have not found them online anywhere but will be heading to the LBS tomorrow and I will see if he can order me some.
I have not pulled the trigger on the RTC3 damper yet. Have it sitting in my cart in Amazon debating if my wife will shoot me if I order more parts. Maybe in a couple weeks she will have forgotten?

#114 ·
I'll reiterate my earlier posts about how I am not especially sensitive to stuff on my bike, but curious the reason for the upgraded damper? I have no complaints about the one in my Bluto, but now I seem to be thinking there's something wrong? HA!

I don't notice the Bluto at all, it does its job and I ride. I use all the travel about once every fourth ride, it doesn't bob too much when I stand and hammer, it doesn't pack up on fast hits or dive in big ones, not sure what else I'd be worried about.

If someone can clue me in, my credit card finger is itchy...

#116 ·
I'll reiterate my earlier posts about how I am not especially sensitive to stuff on my bike, but curious the reason for the upgraded damper? I have no complaints about the one in my Bluto, but now I seem to be thinking there's something wrong? HA!

I don't notice the Bluto at all, it does its job and I ride. I use all the travel about once every fourth ride, it doesn't bob too much when I stand and hammer, it doesn't pack up on fast hits or dive in big ones, not sure what else I'd be worried about.

If someone can clue me in, my credit card finger is itchy...
I think many people won't have problems with the reg damper. If its not broke for you, I wouldn't fix it. Read back through the thread and you can see some of the complaints people have.

#127 ·
I am pretty sure it is QBP part number FK8671 if you want to retrofit your fork. The forks we are shipping with the RCT3 damper at Borealis are coming direct from RockShox already fitted with the RCT3 damper and also the dig valve. This is an OE only option so unfortunately you can not order a Bluto set up this way. I am only about 90% sure of the part number though, I am the wheel guy and far from a suspension guy. I do know oil volumes change slightly as well but I am not sure of exactly how much. Slowerthansnot has swapped a lot of these and is our main fork guy so he might know off the top of his head.

I would like to clarify, ONLY the XX1 builds are shipping with RCT3 forks, I will copy and paste the facebook post below.

"Since all of us here at Borealis want you riding on the best of the best products, we are excited to announce that all XX1 Echo bikes will now come stock with the upgraded RCT3 damper for the Rockshox Bluto fork!

There will be NO price increase for this, and we guarantee you that you will notice an extremely improved ride quality with this high quality damper. Enjoy, fat bikers!!"

"this does include the RCT3 damper AND the Dig Valve from RockShox. https://www.sram.com/rockshox/technologies/dig-valve"

Hope this helps!

#119 ·
I have no issues with the regular damper, but I did install 2 tokens (120mm model).
I jump mine quite a bit, hit drops and that and the fork has felt great. I'd really love to see a beefier Bluto though. Use the Pike damper and Stanchions. Maybe a Bluto XL or something.

#125 ·
Careful with the Universal Cycles ones- skip back a page or so in the thread- their listings are mis-marked. I bought one from them that apparently is the wrong air shaft.

#131 ·
My .02 on how to make the bluto awesome

Your mileage may very on what frame/bike you are running in on.... and as a fyi i'm 6'3" about 200lbs and i've only ridden the bluto on a borrealis echo and Rocky Mtn blizzard...

I think the stock grease has tons of drag so i like running slick honey.

think the 100mm air shaft and travel is best suited to the 32mm stations.

The rct3 damper is an improvement over the RL damper but more so is the dig valve on the lover damping rod and seems to have a wider adjustment over the rl valve...

on the air side i really like 3 tokens and being on the low side of the air pressures recommended by RS ....

At some point i'd really like to get my hands on a old school u-turn spring for shits and giggles to ditch the air side and not have to worry about loosing air in the cold temps

#135 · (Edited)
Well I switched to the rct3 damper and the new rebound damper and lovin it kinda. The slick honey on the air side sure seemed to get rid of any stiction so that is a must. Like stated about the rct3 function is meh but the combination of the damper and new rebound damper seem pretty sweet. The only thing is my lockout still sucks poo, maybe even worse that it was. It is so much easier to check and get an accurate sag measurement now, pretty butter smooth. Trail testing to come.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.