Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    its a 120mm...well that's what's stated on the box

aka bOb
    If anyone still wants to sell a token or two I would be happy to send them some green stuff!!

mtbr member
    Pm me. I have 3 left over....
    14 Aurum, 15 P.3, 16 Fuse, 17 T130

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Do you guys know if I can throw an XX hydro remote lockout off a 2012 SID into my Bluto?

I am assuming if I can put a RCT3 in there the XX will work too right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by letitsnow View Post
    You've just described every RS fork that I've had in the past. Waiting for Fox...

Funny, I have never had a good experience with Fox. I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference. RS customer service has always been great. Fox, not terrible, but definitely more trouble and longer waits.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info / links. I have tokens and a new damper ordered.

aka bOb
    Does anyone have a link for the proper rct3 damper that is in stock?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Isn't that the correct one in post 81?
    If not...I think Universal has them

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Isn't that the correct one in post 81?
    If not...I think Universal has them
    Oops sorry it lazy and forgot to look back. I found 2 extra spacers if you need em, you could get them by sat or Friday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Oops sorry it lazy and forgot to look back. I found 2 extra spacers if you need em, you could get them by sat or Friday.
    Spacers are supposed to be on the way....if not, I will ping you.
    I might just drive to BC to the Race Face HQ and give someone a carbon beating.

mtbr member
    Not sure if anyone else saw this, but Borealis is sending out all their Bluto equipped bikes with the better damper.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    Not sure if anyone else saw this, but Borealis is sending out all their Bluto equipped bikes with the better damper.
    Where did you see this?
    I have a 1/2 built Echo in my basement

aka bOb
    Where did you see this?
    I have a 1/2 built Echo in my basement
    The Borealis fb page.

Loser
    I'll reiterate my earlier posts about how I am not especially sensitive to stuff on my bike, but curious the reason for the upgraded damper? I have no complaints about the one in my Bluto, but now I seem to be thinking there's something wrong? HA!

I don't notice the Bluto at all, it does its job and I ride. I use all the travel about once every fourth ride, it doesn't bob too much when I stand and hammer, it doesn't pack up on fast hits or dive in big ones, not sure what else I'd be worried about.

If someone can clue me in, my credit card finger is itchy...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    Yep, and i'm up 10 125psi with it still a bit too easy to bottom. I'll try bumping it up a bit more but tokens (a more progressive spring rate) would be preferable.
    Over two months later, my initial assessment hasn't changed. I'll be going to a local shop to get tokens. That is, unless someone has found an online source.

Any idea how much converting it from 100 to 120mm would cost?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I'll reiterate my earlier posts about how I am not especially sensitive to stuff on my bike, but curious the reason for the upgraded damper? I have no complaints about the one in my Bluto, but now I seem to be thinking there's something wrong? HA!

I don't notice the Bluto at all, it does its job and I ride. I use all the travel about once every fourth ride, it doesn't bob too much when I stand and hammer, it doesn't pack up on fast hits or dive in big ones, not sure what else I'd be worried about.

If someone can clue me in, my credit card finger is itchy...
    I think many people won't have problems with the reg damper. If its not broke for you, I wouldn't fix it. Read back through the thread and you can see some of the complaints people have.

aka bOb
    Pete could you sneak into Borealis and get the part number for the damper they are using

mtbr member

Any idea how much converting it from 100 to 120mm would cost?
    If you can do the work yourself, about $40 for the air shaft.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    I have no issues with the regular damper, but I did install 2 tokens (120mm model).
    I jump mine quite a bit, hit drops and that and the fork has felt great. I'd really love to see a beefier Bluto though. Use the Pike damper and Stanchions. Maybe a Bluto XL or something.
    14 Aurum, 15 P.3, 16 Fuse, 17 T130

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Universal Cycles has the air shaft for $27, but unless you are buying enough to get free shipping it is probably better to get it locally.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks. Think i'll order from them and skip buying more tokens for now. If 120mm stock setup is no tokens and my 100mm version has 2, it might work out perfectly. The new shaft will extend travel and also be more progressive if one or both tokens are left in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You may get a RS #11.4015.544.270/280 SID A3 MoCo DNA RCT3 basevalve 2014 and a # 11.4018.025.002 SID A3 midvalve 27,5/29" 2014.

With some shim stack tuning you will get a decent fork.

They are in stock in Germany at Gabelprofi.de - Online Ersatzteilkatalog für RockShox und Avid , don't know about the US ...

- projekt

bike tester
    Quote Originally Posted by ToucanLife View Post
    Do you guys know if I can throw an XX hydro remote lockout off a 2012 SID into my Bluto?

I am assuming if I can put a RCT3 in there the XX will work too right?
    if you put the remote along with the xx damper it should work.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by projekt View Post
    You may get a RS #11.4015.544.270/280 SID A3 MoCo DNA RCT3 basevalve 2014 and a # 11.4018.025.002 SID A3 midvalve 27,5/29" 2014.

With some shim stack tuning you will get a decent fork.

They are in stock in Germany at Gabelprofi.de - Online Ersatzteilkatalog für RockShox und Avid , don't know about the US ...

- projekt
    You are the man!!! I was sitting at my lbs trying to decide which one to order along with the rebound damper and my email went off, perfect timing man thank you.
    Last edited by bdundee; 10-10-2014 at 05:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Think i'll order from them and skip buying more tokens for now. If 120mm stock setup is no tokens and my 100mm version has 2, it might work out perfectly. The new shaft will extend travel and also be more progressive if one or both tokens are left in.
    Careful with the Universal Cycles ones- skip back a page or so in the thread- their listings are mis-marked. I bought one from them that apparently is the wrong air shaft.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    Funny, I have never had a good experience with Fox. I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference. RS customer service has always been great. Fox, not terrible, but definitely more trouble and longer waits.
    I've never had to deal with customer service from either company - just going off of how their forks work on bikes that I've had over the years. I'm sure that they both have good/bad points. Like you said - personal preference...

Must build all the wheels
    Pete could you sneak into Borealis and get the part number for the damper they are using
    I am pretty sure it is QBP part number FK8671 if you want to retrofit your fork. The forks we are shipping with the RCT3 damper at Borealis are coming direct from RockShox already fitted with the RCT3 damper and also the dig valve. This is an OE only option so unfortunately you can not order a Bluto set up this way. I am only about 90% sure of the part number though, I am the wheel guy and far from a suspension guy. I do know oil volumes change slightly as well but I am not sure of exactly how much. Slowerthansnot has swapped a lot of these and is our main fork guy so he might know off the top of his head.

I would like to clarify, ONLY the XX1 builds are shipping with RCT3 forks, I will copy and paste the facebook post below.

"Since all of us here at Borealis want you riding on the best of the best products, we are excited to announce that all XX1 Echo bikes will now come stock with the upgraded RCT3 damper for the Rockshox Bluto fork!

There will be NO price increase for this, and we guarantee you that you will notice an extremely improved ride quality with this high quality damper. Enjoy, fat bikers!!"

"this does include the RCT3 damper AND the Dig Valve from RockShox. https://www.sram.com/rockshox/technologies/dig-valve"

Hope this helps!

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by chriskmurray View Post
    I am pretty sure it is QBP part number FK8671 if you want to retrofit your fork. The forks we are shipping with the RCT3 damper at Borealis are coming direct from RockShox already fitted with the RCT3 damper and also the dig valve. This is an OE only option so unfortunately you can not order a Bluto set up this way. I am only about 90% sure of the part number though, I am the wheel guy and far from a suspension guy.
    Oh crap I ordered the the fk8670 per the other dude but I did order a new rebound damper that matches it so maybe that combo is good to go anyways.

Oh crap I ordered the the fk8670 per the other dude but I did order a new rebound damper that matches it so maybe that combo is good to go anyways.
    hmmm, I honestly have no idea what the difference between the two would be but again, I am not a suspension guy.

I would not be surprised if both work fine though.

aka bOb

Really I am that slow

My .02 on how to make the bluto awesome

Your mileage may very on what frame/bike you are running in on.... and as a fyi i'm 6'3" about 200lbs and i've only ridden the bluto on a borrealis echo and Rocky Mtn blizzard...

I think the stock grease has tons of drag so i like running slick honey.

think the 100mm air shaft and travel is best suited to the 32mm stations.

The rct3 damper is an improvement over the RL damper but more so is the dig valve on the lover damping rod and seems to have a wider adjustment over the rl valve...

on the air side i really like 3 tokens and being on the low side of the air pressures recommended by RS ....

At some point i'd really like to get my hands on a old school u-turn spring for shits and giggles to ditch the air side and not have to worry about loosing air in the cold temps
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

aka bOb
    Thanks, I'm going to try the Slick Honey for sure when I take it apart to change both dampers. Also I'm only about 15 pounds lighter and I am really liking the three tokens in the 100mm as well.

Thanks for the link!

I also am a big fan of 3 air tokens but I tend to run pressures on the high side of the official recommendations but that is coming from about 3 years riding almost only rigid.

mtbr member
    I'm going from 80mm to 120mm this weekend, I weigh 190 and tend to carry some gear for overnighting. Any suggestions on number of air tokens I should go with. I don't like to run to high of pressure, but with adding 40mm, I don't know what to expect on my fatboy.
    Thanks,

aka bOb
    Well I switched to the rct3 damper and the new rebound damper and lovin it kinda. The slick honey on the air side sure seemed to get rid of any stiction so that is a must. Like stated about the rct3 function is meh but the combination of the damper and new rebound damper seem pretty sweet. The only thing is my lockout still sucks poo, maybe even worse that it was. It is so much easier to check and get an accurate sag measurement now, pretty butter smooth. Trail testing to come.
    Last edited by bdundee; 10-16-2014 at 05:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Kinda the same here....the lock out never really seems to work like other forks that I have had....spongey at best

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    from those on here more expert than I what can I expect about winter performance from my new Bluto? I've heard everything from you cannot use it in winter and have to get a second fork to it will be fine, to you have to make modifications so it will work in the cold. What is the truth or do we wait until cold comes and find out?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat907 View Post
    Kinda the same here....the lock out never really seems to work like other forks that I have had....spongey at best
    OK thanks I have had the damper out twice now to see if there was something wrong, I will stop and ride now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ishpeming View Post
    from those on here more expert than I what can I expect about winter performance from my new Bluto? I've heard everything from you cannot use it in winter and have to get a second fork to it will be fine, to you have to make modifications so it will work in the cold. What is the truth or do we wait until cold comes and find out?
    I'm certainly no expert but I'll add my .02 cents to this.

It will absolutely depend on where you live, the type of winter riding you do and the type of winter your area of the world is having. In other words everyone is going to have a different opinion/need/objective/use for their Bluto.

If your winters are mild and you envision hitting the same sort of trails you would in the summer, then leave it as is.

If your winters are cold and your hitting the rough stuff then at the very least change the shock oil to a lower viscosity.

If your just doing relatively light trails, commuting, or winter bike-packing then perhaps a rigid fork is all you really need and you wont be exposing your Bluto to road salt/sand/dirty slush.

Bottom line is there won't be a right or wrong answer, but there will be plenty of opinions. You said it yourself "wait until the cold comes and find out". At least you know you have some options.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    ^^That was a whole lotta typing just to say " I don't know"

Bottom line.....there are millions of regular Rock Shox suspension forks used during the winter.
    None have exploded in a ball of flames.
    And the planet is still spinning.
    I would bet money the Blutos will be just fine with winter....just fine

Loser
    I've been riding through the winter here in Connecticut (NE USA) for 20+ years on all brands of forks. I would love to say that none had issues, there were some early elastomer based shocks that turn to rocks in the winter. I've had air seals let go from the cold too, but things are definitely better now than they used to be. Once you get below 0F things start to get funky, but that's a rarity around here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That's because it's more of a heavy blow off valve than it is a true lock out.

aka bOb
    So I had to just take it apart one more time..... Well in the RS 2015 pdf they say it takes 106ml of oil or 71mm down from the top of the crown, in my fork at least those two do not even come close to being the same. I added oil and brought it up to the 71mm and everything is working sweet now. I get full travel, the lockout works, the low speed compression makes a difference, and I can tell a difference in platforms. The only thing is I ended up adding at least another 45ml of oil or more (didn't keep track on the exact amount) and that is a lot. I did call rs and he is going to talk to some service people and see what they say and get back to me, I hope.

Really I am that slow
    So I had to just take it apart one more time..... Well in the RS 2015 pdf they say it takes 106ml of oil or 71mm down from the top of the crown, in my fork at least those two do not even come close to being the same. I added oil and brought it up to the 71mm and everything is working sweet now. I get full travel, the lockout works, the low speed compression makes a difference, and I can tell a difference in platforms. The only thing is I ended up adding at least another 45ml of oil or more (didn't keep track on the exact amount) and that is a lot. I did call rs and he is going to talk to some service people and see what they say and get back to me, I hope.
    Thats what i would have done if lockout wasnt working =)
    Read my BLOG!

mtbr member
    Guess it will come apart ONE more time...lol

aka bOb
    Guess it will come apart ONE more time...lol
    Keep me posted of your findings.

One thing I learned is never test it before both knobs are fully installed and the little black nut thingie is tightened. The low speed compression will shoot straight out and one will be looking for a spring and a couple of very small ball bearings

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    bdundee....did you check the oil level before you took it apart to change dampers?
    This is the first fork I haven't taken apart before riding.
    Almost every new fork I've ever taken apart had too little ( sometimes none!) or too much oil....among other surprises

aka bOb
    bdundee....did you check the oil level before you took it apart to change dampers?
    This is the first fork I haven't taken apart before riding.
    Almost every new fork I've ever taken apart had too little ( sometimes none!) or too much oil....among other surprises
    No but sure wished I would have.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hmmm....I got my first real ride in. I have some sort of rattleup front.
    Sounds like a loose headset...but the headset is tight
    Wondering if it's something loose in the fork.
    Or...is the carbon frame amplifying a rattle from somewhere else

Really I am that slow
    Hmmm....I got my first real ride in. I have some sort of rattleup front.
    Sounds like a loose headset...but the headset is tight
    Wondering if it's something loose in the fork.
    Or...is the carbon frame amplifying a rattle from somewhere else
    loose maxle? brake caliper?
    Read my BLOG!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast