Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bluto Tuning Thread

187K views 699 replies 165 participants last post by  nstelemark 
#1 ·
I know this is a more limited group, but for any/ all Bluto adopters, where are you running your fork? I am having to drop my pressure way below recommended to get any good action out of the fork and get full travel. Even at 75psi, I get 15% sag and the fork feels super stiction-ey. Dropped it down to 65 to try later today. I'm 165- 170 all kitted up, so should be 100+ psi.

#57 ·
Do you guys have 100 or 120mm Bluto's? I'm 170 or so with my pack on and I'm at 95PSI. I've maxed the fork out on every ride so far, but I don't notice any dive while pedaling and haven't felt any true bottoming out of the fork. I'm one of those guys who sets and forgets though, so sometimes I change something and I realize just how off I was before. Maybe I'll try adding a bit of air.

Oh and I'm running a 100mm Bluto.

#63 ·
Okay- got the air shaft to convert my 100 Bluto to 120, plus the RCT3 Damper. Anyone have any info on the conversion? Oil volumes/ weights? The "service manual" link from the SRAM page for the Bluto doesn't even have the Bluto listed on it. Treat it like a SID?

#65 ·
#70 ·
Fat907- what grease did you use on the Air Shaft? I have some Slick Honey, but the manual says only the RS/ SRAM Butter, or some military grease. Seems like for 20 less than stock on the damper side, you could just pull the old damper and insert the new one without changing fluids... For the air shaft, seems like I just need to remove the rebound adjuster knob and lower bolt on non-drive-side, drain oil, remove the lowers, remove the retaining ring, pull the air shaft out, grease up the new one and install the bumper and floating seals from the old one, and re-install, then add fluids. That's it?

#75 ·
As I understand it, every 10mm increased in fork extension equals ~1 degree decrease in head angle. So working from a 25% sag, compare that Bluto fork length to your stock fork length, consider how increased sag would affect the current feel of your bike, and go from there.

In my experience, more is not always better, especially when you are adding suspension to a frame that is not suspension corrected. Most fat bikes are not going to be suspension corrected unless they are a fairly new design...

My Lurch arrives tomorrow, I'm probably swinging toward 80mm, 100mm if I want a little slack.

#79 ·
I’ve been running the Bluto around Moab for about 2 months. For me a front suspension fork was the one thing really preventing me from riding the fat bike in the dirt more. The Bluto really helps close the gap between just a snow bike and a bike I take on summer trails.
That said, I think it’s one of the worst feeling RS forks I’ve owned. With 90 psi well bellow the recommend pressure for my weight I find it’s super stiff and has tons of stiction. When I drop the pressure down to a point it moves on small to moderate size bumps it bottoms outs too easily.

I’m not very knowledgeable about suspension stuff. For those that are, do people think this is more of an issue related to the damper or rather a lack of lubrication?

Thanks

Here’s a picture since this thread is lacking.

Attachments

#85 ·
I've been running the Bluto around Moab for about 2 months. For me a front suspension fork was the one thing really preventing me from riding the fat bike in the dirt more. The Bluto really helps close the gap between just a snow bike and a bike I take on summer trails.
That said, I think it's one of the worst feeling RS forks I've owned. With 90 psi well bellow the recommend pressure for my weight I find it's super stiff and has tons of stiction. When I drop the pressure down to a point it moves on small to moderate size bumps it bottoms outs too easily.

I'm not very knowledgeable about suspension stuff. For those that are, do people think this is more of an issue related to the damper or rather a lack of lubrication?

Thanks

Here's a picture since this thread is lacking.
Same exact results here Pete!! I'm going to mess with the tokens when I can find some. Not a suspension guru here either.

#80 ·
Are you running any tokens? Which Bluto model do you have?

I have the 120mm and it came stock with no tokens and I blew thru the travel and woudl bottom out hard on bigger drops. I now have two tokens installed and it is perfect. I was able to lower the pressure a bit which gives it even better small bump compliance, but it ramps up quicker and doesnt bottom as easy.

#84 ·
Running a 100mm Bluto on AL Beargrease for about two weeks now in Maine. Bunch of short rides and one good 25mile day up at Sugarloaf. Running around 85psi which is below recommended, still playing with pressure. Recommended was too stiff.

Haven't looked inside at the token assortment yet.

Next to my first set of disc brakes this might be the best bike upgrade ever for me, most likely will end up with a Bucksaw or King Kahn if that comes to production next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.