Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Loser
    Yep, and that could have happened here for sure, never trust strava.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    125psi and compression damping one click back from locked out... still not stiff enough for my tastes. (160 pounds of rider and gear)

I'm gonna research adjusting the progressiveness. That's just some spacers right? Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    The Bluto can use the black 32mm bottomless tokens, but the fork didnt come with any and I'm not sure they are available for sale yet.

I know on my Pike the Bottomless tokens made a huge difference and I'd love to get 1 or two for the Bluto.
    14 Aurum, 15 P.3, 16 Fuse, 17 T130

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hmmm, there 2014 rockshox spare parts catalog only lists bottomless tokens for the Pike.
    https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign....pc_rev_a_0.pdf

But it seems if a token existed for a 32mm stanchion fork, it should work. This article makes it sound like such a token should exist and would work at least for the RS-1, reba, SID and revelation.
    RockShox Officially Introduces The 29er specific RS1 Inverted XC Fork

I'll contact rockshox and see what they have to say. Edit: Looks like I won't be contacting them since SRAM appears to not want any direct contact with customers. In my opinion, that's a shitty way to run a company.

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    A few rides on the bluto now... 115psi is working for me (160 pounds with gear). The o-ring shows I've been bottoming it but I haven't felt it behave like it was bottoming.
    You and I are in the same ball park. I have been surprised how much pressure I need to run to keep the fork from bottoming. I'll eventually try one or two bottomless tokens, but don't have them to try yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib View Post
    You and I are in the same ball park. I have been surprised how much pressure I need to run to keep the fork from bottoming. I'll eventually try one or two bottomless tokens, but don't have them to try yet.
    Yep, and i'm up 10 125psi with it still a bit too easy to bottom. I'll try bumping it up a bit more but tokens (a more progressive spring rate) would be preferable.

Loser
    Do you guys have 100 or 120mm Bluto's? I'm 170 or so with my pack on and I'm at 95PSI. I've maxed the fork out on every ride so far, but I don't notice any dive while pedaling and haven't felt any true bottoming out of the fork. I'm one of those guys who sets and forgets though, so sometimes I change something and I realize just how off I was before. Maybe I'll try adding a bit of air.

Oh and I'm running a 100mm Bluto.

mtbr member
    The 32mm tokens wont be available until late August.
    I'm running the 120mm Bluto which doesnt come with any Pre-installed. The 100mm Bluto has 2 pre-installed and the 80mm version has 4, which is the max.

https://www.sram.com/sites/default/f...tokens_eeu.pdf

mtbr member
    Converting my 100 to 120 and also thinking of picking up the RCT3 Damper (I'm a suspension snob): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=faqloadcom-20
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Which bike are you running the bluto on? I'm really interested in this swap too...please keep us posted.

mtbr member
    ^Specialized Fatboy Comp (medium).
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    leaning towards a 100mm for my AL Beargrease, gets me ready for eventual move to bucksaw

mtbr member
    Okay- got the air shaft to convert my 100 Bluto to 120, plus the RCT3 Damper. Anyone have any info on the conversion? Oil volumes/ weights? The "service manual" link from the SRAM page for the Bluto doesn't even have the Bluto listed on it. Treat it like a SID?

mtbr member
    I went 20cc less oil than spec with the RTC3, 4 tokens, and 165lbs........I weigh 230

mtbr member
    20cc less than what? I just found the 2015 service manual and it lists the Bluto and the oil volumes are the same for it as they are for the SID (with the RCT3), so I'm going to follow those levels.

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign....chart_2015.pdf

Any other tips? I haven't worked on a RS fork in a while- pretty straight-forward?

mtbr member
    20less than stock.......the easiest fork I ever worked on..took about 25 min to change it to an 80 from a 100

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Is the RTC3 damper worth it as an upgrade? I know upgrading to the Pike damper on my XC32 fork changed the ride and made it a lot better.

mtbr member
    Go to sram.com click service at top of page click forks then go to page 5 for the newest bluto service manual

mtbr member
    Worth every penny.......stock bluto felt soft and slow

mtbr member
    Fat907- what grease did you use on the Air Shaft? I have some Slick Honey, but the manual says only the RS/ SRAM Butter, or some military grease. Seems like for 20 less than stock on the damper side, you could just pull the old damper and insert the new one without changing fluids... For the air shaft, seems like I just need to remove the rebound adjuster knob and lower bolt on non-drive-side, drain oil, remove the lowers, remove the retaining ring, pull the air shaft out, grease up the new one and install the bumper and floating seals from the old one, and re-install, then add fluids. That's it?

mtbr member
    I bought the grease that they spec.....some military p-800 or something like that ..it's red and very tacky

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat907 View Post
    Worth every penny.......stock bluto felt soft and slow
    I will have to do this upgrade then. Have a 120mm Bluto coming on Sturgis Bullet, but swapping the Bullet to rigid and putting Bluto onto Bucksaw frame I ordered. :-)

mtbr member
    I bought the grease that they spec.....some military p-800 or something like that ..it's red and very tacky
    Any idea where you got it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    20less than stock.......the easiest fork I ever worked on..took about 25 min to change it to an 80 from a 100
    curious why you went down to 80

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    As I understand it, every 10mm increased in fork extension equals ~1 degree decrease in head angle. So working from a 25% sag, compare that Bluto fork length to your stock fork length, consider how increased sag would affect the current feel of your bike, and go from there.

In my experience, more is not always better, especially when you are adding suspension to a frame that is not suspension corrected. Most fat bikes are not going to be suspension corrected unless they are a fairly new design...

My Lurch arrives tomorrow, I'm probably swinging toward 80mm, 100mm if I want a little slack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Are the air shafts the same on the Reba and Bluto? I have a 100mm Reba and 120mm Bluto coming and was wondering if I could switch the Reba 10 120mm and the Bluto to 100mm by swapping them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    As I understand it, every 10mm increased in fork extension equals ~1 degree decrease in head angle.
    Every 10mm is equal to ~.5 degrees in HA. So 20mm in fork length decreases the HA ~1 degree.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I was close

mtbr member
    Iíve been running the Bluto around Moab for about 2 months. For me a front suspension fork was the one thing really preventing me from riding the fat bike in the dirt more. The Bluto really helps close the gap between just a snow bike and a bike I take on summer trails.
    That said, I think itís one of the worst feeling RS forks Iíve owned. With 90 psi well bellow the recommend pressure for my weight I find itís super stiff and has tons of stiction. When I drop the pressure down to a point it moves on small to moderate size bumps it bottoms outs too easily.

Iím not very knowledgeable about suspension stuff. For those that are, do people think this is more of an issue related to the damper or rather a lack of lubrication?

Thanks

Hereís a picture since this thread is lacking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bluto Tuning Thread-sticky-fork.jpg  

mtbr member
    Are you running any tokens? Which Bluto model do you have?

I have the 120mm and it came stock with no tokens and I blew thru the travel and woudl bottom out hard on bigger drops. I now have two tokens installed and it is perfect. I was able to lower the pressure a bit which gives it even better small bump compliance, but it ramps up quicker and doesnt bottom as easy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I don't even have my Bluto yet and have already ordered these, based on reviews and I weigh 240#.

Amazon.com : RockShox Pike Bottomless Tokens A1 Qty 3 : Sports & Outdoors

I may order up the damper as well but the fat bike fund is a little skimpy right now...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3DZMBT0IIAXRS

mtbr member
    Those are the Pike tokens and wont fit! You need the black 32mm tokens. I had to order a 5pack thru my LBS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    Those are the Pike tokens and wont fit! You need the black 32mm tokens. I had to order a 5pack thru my LBS.
    You are correct! Pike now has 35mm stanchions so they will not fit. Thankfully Amazon makes returns easy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Running a 100mm Bluto on AL Beargrease for about two weeks now in Maine. Bunch of short rides and one good 25mile day up at Sugarloaf. Running around 85psi which is below recommended, still playing with pressure. Recommended was too stiff.

Haven't looked inside at the token assortment yet.

Next to my first set of disc brakes this might be the best bike upgrade ever for me, most likely will end up with a Bucksaw or King Kahn if that comes to production next year.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    Iíve been running the Bluto around Moab for about 2 months. For me a front suspension fork was the one thing really preventing me from riding the fat bike in the dirt more. The Bluto really helps close the gap between just a snow bike and a bike I take on summer trails.
    That said, I think itís one of the worst feeling RS forks Iíve owned. With 90 psi well bellow the recommend pressure for my weight I find itís super stiff and has tons of stiction. When I drop the pressure down to a point it moves on small to moderate size bumps it bottoms outs too easily.

Iím not very knowledgeable about suspension stuff. For those that are, do people think this is more of an issue related to the damper or rather a lack of lubrication?

Thanks

Same exact results here Pete!! I'm going to mess with the tokens when I can find some. Not a suspension guru here either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My son's bike has a 100mm Reba on it, I may just steal a token or two out of his for my 120mm Bluto once it gets here. He only weighs 70lbs so doesn't bottom anything out on his Horsethief. ;-) Per the RS chart here, the Reba should have two tokens from the factory -https://www.sram.com/sites/default/f...ess_tokens.pdf

mtbr member

Thanks

You've just described every RS fork that I've had in the past. Waiting for Fox...

mtbr member
    I went to 3 tokens total and that made a nice difference plus I am running a little lower pressure now. Before, 2 tokens and 100psi, now 3 tokens and 75 psi. I weigh 185 pounds and the ride has a nice plush feel without bottoming out easily.

mtbr member
    Are people finding some of the Blutos are coming with no tokens? Anyone talk to RS or know whether they are supposed to have tokens?

Loser
    I'm 175 or so all loaded up to ride, I run about 95PSI, feels great, I bottom on the biggest hits, but most rides I come back with about 1/4" of travel unused. I don't feel any stiction at all, but that could just be me. I had my fork lose air once, but it seems to be holding now, which is a little weird.

mtbr member
    Are people finding some of the Blutos are coming with no tokens? Anyone talk to RS or know whether they are supposed to have tokens?
    80mm = 4 tokens
    100mm = 2 tokens
    120mm = 0 tokens

At least that is what is supposed to be with them according to manuals found here:

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign....ess_tokens.pdf

and here

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign....to_reba_sm.pdf

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I had my fork lose air once, but it seems to be holding now, which is a little weird.
    I did as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Fitted a Bluto to my farley 6 few days ago...seems to be the same as some have found, im 180lbs tried it with recommended psi, and might as well have the ridged fork back on?! now at 85/90 psi seems more like it, but still doesn't seem quite right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andy586 View Post
    Fitted a Bluto to my farley 6 few days ago...seems to be the same as some have found, im 180lbs tried it with recommended psi, and might as well have the ridged fork back on?! now at 85/90 psi seems more like it, but still doesn't seem quite right?

What travel fork are you working with? Try adding another token or two depending. I am running the Bluto at 100mm and have three tokens in there to get a great ride from it. I do however find it leaks down air after a ride some times, but only about 15psi. Not sure why the leak down happens as I have taken it apart and everything looks good. I have extra tokens if someone wants 1 or two.

mtbr member
    The biggest difference was changing from 10wt to 7.5wt.......running 4 tokens and 150 lbs of air...3 clicks out...RTC3

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by winkster View Post
    What travel fork are you working with? Try adding another token or two depending. I am running the Bluto at 100mm and have three tokens in there to get a great ride from it. I do however find it leaks down air after a ride some times, but only about 15psi. Not sure why the leak down happens as I have taken it apart and everything looks good. I have extra tokens if someone wants 1 or two.
    this ones running at 120mm at the mo... these "tokens" from rockshox spare parts??

mtbr member
    I ordered mine from my LBS. They come in a 5 pack and are black. I believe they are around $15 for 5. I ended up putting two in my 120mm Bluto (I'm 160 lbs) and it feels really nice.

The 80mm comes with 4 installed, the 100mm has 2 and the 120 has zero.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I need to get some tokens, my bike w/ Bluto should be here at the end of the month or early November. I am 240# and have the 120mm version coming (on a Moto Sturgis Bullet). I have not found them online anywhere but will be heading to the LBS tomorrow and I will see if he can order me some.
    I have not pulled the trigger on the RTC3 damper yet. Have it sitting in my cart in Amazon debating if my wife will shoot me if I order more parts. Maybe in a couple weeks she will have forgotten?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I ordered mine from my LBS. They come in a 5 pack and are black. I believe they are around $15 for 5. I ended up putting two in my 120mm Bluto (I'm 160 lbs) and it feels really nice.

The 80mm comes with 4 installed, the 100mm has 2 and the 120 has zero.

Okay just looked into these tokens, ie watched a few rockshox videos on YouTube :-) but I've the opposite problem, in that even though I'm running under pressure for my weight, the resistance still ramps up way to quickly and I'm getting nowhere near full travel ....any thoughts, or anyone else experience this??

mtbr member
    What size Bluto do you have? If it is 100mm or 80mm you can remove tokens.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast