Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012

Black Shoe Goo for tire repairs.

After countless hours of riding my Snowshoe ''3XL'' 5.6's at 0-1psi, I noticed that the side knobs on the rear nondrive side were starting to separate from the casing, with one knob actually gone.
    As far as I know, these are two of only three such tires in existence, so I didn't feel like watching them fall apart.

I have used superglue and Shoe Goo to repair tires since the first time I laid my hands on the Goo back in Utah in the mid 90s.
    Having only used the clear Goo, I had decent results, but it tended not to last to long, sort of flaked off after a while. First I did a test with super glue only, but that did not last more than a few minutes, as the side knobs see a lot of stress and would start to shear. I realized that I needed to smooth/minimize the stress riser at the interface.

Enter black Shoe Goo.
    I first used super glue to secure the edge of the knobs that were starting to separate and then covered with black Shoe Goo to reduce the shear stresses at the knob/sidewall interface.

This worked like gold, as we say over on these Nordic shores.
    Did the fix last weekend and have by now 20 hours + at 0-2psi riding on them, and the knobs are staying right where the boys at Vee put them.
    Very, very relieved, as these tires are pretty much irreplaceable.
    The secret is, as far as I can tell, that the black Shoe Goo has a more liquid like consistency than the clear version and it seems to stick much better to rubber than the clear stuff.
    Could probably be used to reinforce sidewalls that are starting to show a lot of cord as well.

Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  39.3 KB
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com
    (Kindernay XIV 14 speed internal gear hub with hydraulic sequential shifters)

mtbr member
    That sort of info is pure gold. Thanks
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

beer thief
    Shoe Goo is awesome stuff. I did not know they made a black version. Thanks Espen!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I used to use shoe goo for outer tire repairs after patching inside holes. But now I have switched to liquid electrical tape that brushes on and it works and holds up much better

mtbr member
    May 2013
    What bike/ fork allows you to use a 5.6" tire? That sounds pretty cool. I am jealous.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_alley View Post
    What bike/ fork allows you to use a 5.6" tire? That sounds pretty cool. I am jealous.
    Well, a few..
    Look in the 2xl thread
    There's a few custom ones in existence made for 5.6 size and I think Espen still runs a prototype that is capable of fitting that.

Also new this year is "Diamant x2" that is 5.6" capable.

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilboy View Post
    I used to use shoe goo for outer tire repairs after patching inside holes. But now I have switched to liquid electrical tape that brushes on and it works and holds up much better
    That is interesting!
    Do you use brushable Plasti Dip, Permatex or another brand?

Did you us the clear Shoe Goo or the black one?
    Espen Wethe
    www.kindernay.com
    (Kindernay XIV 14 speed internal gear hub with hydraulic sequential shifters)