Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Black Sheep Fat Fully

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  BurkeVT 
#1 ·
Finally had some time to put miles in on the new bike. It's 110mm travel both front and rear. I didn't know what to expect from the pivotless rear suspension, but it's absolutely buttery and locks out rigid for efficient climbing with the fox float CTD. The pivotless design is very efficient, even in the Trail mode. In it's initial iteration at NAHBS, Black Sheep put a linkage fork on the front.
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

I wanted to go lefty (that linkage fork was pricey and untested!) so I chose not to take the fork and instead put a lefty max on the front with a new PBR damper.
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Many thanks to MendonCycleSmith for the front end.
Blue Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle accessory Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Mike at Wolftooth components makes a really nice front chainring for the XX1. Despite no chainguide, it hasn't ever dropped a chain.
Bicycle part Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle Spoke

XX1 is great - the clutch derailleur gives a feeling of immediate engagement much like a singlespeed without all the chain slop. Clothing Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

An after-work ride on our local Socal singletrack. It amazes me that I can be in the 2nd biggest city in the US, but in 10 minutes not see a soul for an entire 2 hour ride.
Clothing Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

I guess this would count as a flock of sheep.
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork

See less See more
#7 ·
The linkage fork is back in fort collins with the black sheep crew. I got the sense that this was his first go at one and he wanted to make a few tweaks in the design before releasing them to the general public. I have a faith fork on another bike, that thing is friggin light! Add a Fox float and with the right design it would be a nice fork.

Since all the welds are covered by dust and mud, I probably should wash it before posting a pic on here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.