mtbr member

Black Fly Challenge NY

I just signed up for the annual Black Fly Challenge in Inlet NY. It's a 48 mile race mostly on dirt roads and fire roads with a small amount of single track. Not technical but a lot of steep climbing. I will do it on my 9-0-7. I am looking to get a large contingent of fellow fat riders to do it with me kind of as a fat team event. I think it would be very cool if ten or twenty fatty's showed up. The race is Saturday June 8th.

BlackFlyChallenge.com - the ONLY source for accurate race information.

mtbr member
    Actually, about 38 miles, includes about 12 miles of asphalt, and no singletrack. Lot of fun last year, but I only saw 1 fat bike. this year the route goes the opposite direction and at the end there will be a mile of singletrack.
    Last edited by mtuck1; 04-12-2013 at 11:02 AM.

mtbr member

Re: Black Fly Challenge NY

Quote Originally Posted by mtuck1 View Post
    Actually, about 38 miles, includes about 12 miles of asphalt, and no singletrack. Lot of fun last year, but I only saw 1 fat bike. this year the route goes the opposite direction and at the end there will be a mile of singletrack.
    That was me last year on my Pugsley; did it with Black Floyds pumped up to about 25 psi. Rolled fast and smooth over everything and beat my best time. Of course the conditions in the Plains were the best I've ever seen; 2011 was the worst. I'll be fat again this year.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Very impressive!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well this year will be my first. Also my first every bike race. Ill be rocking the Santa Cruz Tallboy LT i thought it would be way too much bike but if you guys are running fatty's I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Hello,
    Has anyone else done this race on a fat bike and if so, any recommendations on tires, tire pressure or tubeless/tubes? Assuming that the course is dry, what psi would be considered too high?

Thanks

mtbr member
    My wife and I did that race last year and there were 47 total fat bikes. The previous 5 years I used Black Floyds (with tubes) which are fantastic tires for that race in my opinion. Last year we both used 4.0 Jumbo Jim's tubeless. The Jims were great, not quite as fast rolling as the Floyds, but with a little bit of tooth for confidence compared to the Floyds. She won the womens fat bike division, and the womens (mtb) expert class in her age group (when you register for that race you have to register as a MTB because there is no actual fat bike class) on that setup on an aluminum fat bike with a Lefty fork. My fastest race ever there was on Floyds... until I got a flat. A friend of mine has done the race on a fat bike more times than I have and always used Floyds but this year he is switching to Vee Speedsters. I'm not a fan of Vee tires and I have never used the Speedsters but they will probably work pretty well. I like tire pressure around 12-13psi, but my friend runs 20+psi and he's been pretty successful with that.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    My wife and I did that race last year and there were 47 total fat bikes. The previous 5 years I used Black Floyds (with tubes) which are fantastic tires for that race in my opinion. Last year we both used 4.0 Jumbo Jim's tubeless. The Jims were great, not quite as fast rolling as the Floyds, but with a little bit of tooth for confidence compared to the Floyds. She won the womens fat bike division, and the womens (mtb) expert class in her age group (when you register for that race you have to register as a MTB because there is no actual fat bike class) on that setup on an aluminum fat bike with a Lefty fork. My fastest race ever there was on Floyds... until I got a flat. A friend of mine has done the race on a fat bike more times than I have and always used Floyds but this year he is switching to Vee Speedsters. I'm not a fan of Vee tires and I have never used the Speedsters but they will probably work pretty well. I like tire pressure around 12-13psi, but my friend runs 20+psi and he's been pretty successful with that.
    Thank you for the insight. I was thinking of running something like a husker du or fast trak at 13-15 psi. I've never done the race before - any general guidance or advice outside of tire selection?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dino45 View Post
    I've never done the race before - any general guidance or advice outside of tire selection?
    Line up your shuttle in advance. It's point to point and you probably won't want to ride your bike back to the start afterward although some people do it. Also, expect the results to be wrong. They'll get the top 3 or so right but after that it's a total crap shoot, in the fat bike division that is.

mtbr member
    Line up your shuttle in advance. It's point to point and you probably won't want to ride your bike back to the start afterward although some people do it. Also, expect the results to be wrong. They'll get the top 3 or so right but after that it's a total crap shoot, in the fat bike division that is.
    Good advice on the shuttle. They sellout.

I'vw done it twice. Once with Vee tires and last year with Knards. I like the Knard for all around use. Went ith 20psi.

turtles make me hot
    Damn. If I were in any kind of shape right now, I'd take you up on that. Sounds like fun.
    I like turtles