Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Black Floyds

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Black Floyds

I'm considering a set of Black Floyds to save the tread on my HuDus while riding paved stuff with my kids. They're just learning to ride and aren't yet ready for trails.

I've read a few reviews on the Black Floyds but haven't been able to find many. I'm sure they work well on pavement, but I'm curious to how how well they perform on the occasional trail (mostly hardpack) or gravel/dirt roads (in case I'm too lazy to swap back to HuDus)?

Would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

mighty sailin' man
    hardpack and gravel are where they shine.

I think a standard 26" slick would be better for all road rides. I hate my floyds on pavement unless they're pumped up stupid hard. No point in all that extra rubber at those pressures
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Human Test Subject
    i have over 2000 miles on my bfls. i assume little larrys are the same. they work great on pavement and hardpack. never ridden floyds but every review i've read people say they handle stupid unless inflated to the point where fat tires are no longer cushy.

i still may buy some used floyds if i can find em at the right price just to see for myself, but you can't go wrong with larrys.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Chris- I have 1 BF and two pairs of Kenda Flames (3.0x26) if you want to try them. Just up the road a piece from you. PM me.

mtbr member
    I bought a set of Floyds to save my HuDu's and they are awesome! 10 - 13 psi depending on the size of the stone to be ridden on. Great on asphalt or trail as long as it is reasonably dry. No problems so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Black Floyds

Thanks for all the input. Some interesting (and in a few cases unexpected) comments.

Deux, I may take you up on your generous offer. Which tire of those two do you think would work better for my needs?

mighty sailin' man
    the larry/BFL suggestion is probably the best compromise

flames are anchors from what I've read, I've never used them personally
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I put a pair on my wife's bike. Floyds are super fast on road and gravel and grass. They suck a little on loose dirt and they suck a lot on wet mud. I would not hesitate to use them for mountain biking unless there was mud.

mtbr member
    Carefull of these tires and the bee rubber ones. Friends of mine on the cruiser set hate them because they toss pebbles at you.

Stick with the Floyd's. I love mine on my mongoose beast.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I get a lot of flats when I take the BF's off road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInYpsi View Post
    I'm considering a set of Black Floyds to save the tread on my HuDus while riding paved stuff with my kids. They're just learning to ride and aren't yet ready for trails.

I've read a few reviews on the Black Floyds but haven't been able to find many. I'm sure they work well on pavement, but I'm curious to how how well they perform on the occasional trail (mostly hardpack) or gravel/dirt roads (in case I'm too lazy to swap back to HuDus)?

Would appreciate any comments. Thanks.
    In short coldbike's comment +1

My experiences:
    On & offroad: A foolish ride - Black Floyd content.
    Road: Can Black Floyds on your fatbike replace a road bike?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    I like mine. I commute on asphalt with them on 68mm wide rims. I run about 12 pounds rear, 11 front. I don't notice handling problems on either pavement or crushed gravel. Also good on hardpack. I grab a different bike for more serious off road adventures...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have a pair of 27 TPI Black Floyds on 82mm rims on my Salsa Mukluk that I've used mostly on pavement, but also a little bit of gravel and hardpack.

My only complaint is that the steering is odd at lower pressures. I've only had the Mukluk a few months, so I don't know if that's normal... but it does seem like there's a narrow "sweet spot" where the pressure is high enough to steer ok but low enough to provide a bit of cush.

Other than that, the Black Floyds are great. They're fast and near-silent on pavement.

mtbr member
    My seasonal tire cycle:
    Winter = Nates
    Spring and Fall = Larry/Endo
    Summer = Black Floyds
    Just put my BF's on last weekend. Every time I put them on, I am stunned how fast they roll vs. Nate/Larry & Endo. I run them at about 30lbs psi on pavement, and will drop it down to 15lbs. for hardpack singletrack/hardpack sand/gravel. As others mentioned, they suck in mud, loose surfaces (sand, soft dirt) and low pressures on pavement give an unsettling steering (eg. will give you a "torque-steer"-like feeling). But when they are pumped up, they roll amazingly well. I run them on Marge Lites, with ultralight Q-tubes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have Knards now and was wondering how they compare to the Black Floyds with respect to steering and how well they roll. Anyone that has used or tried both?

mtbr member
    I have Knards on my Krampus... so not an even comparison to a true fat bike, but I can tell you the steering is better with the Knards, but the rolling resistance on the Floyds (on my Muk) is significantly better than the Knard. However, if you want a good all-arounder, I'd agree that the Knard may be the best option.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just FYI: modernbike.com has BF's on sale right now for a very good price ($97.94 for 120 TPI!) - and free shipping.

I just ordered a pair for my Mukluk. Looking forward to rolling on the BFs for the summer and saving my HuDus for the fall and winter months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhz06 View Post
    I have Knards now and was wondering how they compare to the Black Floyds with respect to steering and how well they roll. Anyone that has used or tried both?
    I have, on 82 mm rims. I'd say take the Knards unless you plan to pump up your tires to >15 psi and ride mainly on asphalt/hardpack.

As mentioned above, the Black Floyds roll very well on hardpack, gravel and grass. As for me, they worked also on trail or rocky/rooty terrain, as long as it was dry. And they were light (my pair weighed in at 1020/1060 g). When deflated, they still rolled well, but the steering became terrible, and with <10 psi, I felt that there is a constant danger that they self steer me to my doom, especially on hard surfaces.

Well, I sold my pair. Maybe I should have kept them to see whether they work better with 65 mm rims, but back then I did not know that I will need another fat bike. My Beargrease would've been crazy light with a pair of Floyds

Dunno if the following is helpful, but currently I have Knards with 65 mm rims, and they feel faster than Larry/Endo or Larry/Floater -combos, which I have also used.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: Black Floyds

Quote Originally Posted by Low Pressure View Post
    I get a lot of flats when I take the BF's off road.
    i swapped my floaters for big fat larrys and experienced alot of flats bought some slime for tyres no flat for weeks hope its worked

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds like either the BF or Knards would work well for where I ride so I guess I'll stick with the Knards as they seem to have a bit more versatility and don't give up to much in roll. Plus I like consistent steering feel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just curious: has anybody ridden both Knards and HuDus? If so, would you share your views, especially on hardtop performance? The HuDus that I have seem like a decent option when you are mixing single track with urban trail systems, but I am curious how they would compare to the Knards.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thought I would add this link, too: lotsa older comments on the BFs.
    Black Floyd?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Black Floyds

I'm torn between the BF and Larry. A few local folks recommended the Larry due to flats on area trails w the BF. But the low rolling resistance of the BF is enticing and it seems the Larry is nowhere near as good on roads.

This is a case where I'm getting into "paralysis by analysis" and just need to pull the trigger on something.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoClark View Post
    Just curious: has anybody ridden both Knards and HuDus? If so, would you share your views, especially on hardtop performance? The HuDus that I have seem like a decent option when you are mixing single track with urban trail systems, but I am curious how they would compare to the Knards.
    The Knards are quite a bit smaller than the HuDu's, and have a rounder profile. Same pressure/same rim, the HuDu has more contact than the Knards. Knards seem to roll slightly less fast than the Larry's do, and slightly faster than the HuDu's, as measured by my always accurate butt dyno.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast