mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Bikes banned from ice cave lake shore.

WI parks and rec and the US parks dept. has banned bikes from all areas near the Ice Cave viewing area on Lake Superior and are only allowed on roads where car's drive. A group of us were going to see the Ice caves this weekend and were informed that only snowmobiles, ski and walkers were allowed in and yes they can bring their dog's to crap all over the ice like last weekend. If you go to the Apostle Islands Ice Cave page they have a restriction banner to click on. Guess what only restrictions are on bikes. Wish I had gone last weekend the only problems were parking and dodging dog turds and the bikes saved you from a 3+ mile walk and allowed you to travel out to the far away caves.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    They allow snow machines but not bikes? That can't be right.

mtbr member
    Rules is rules. Bikes managed to get banned from national parks/wilderness areas back in the good ol' days when mtbs were just getting started...

So blame someone on a bike who's over 40. It's our fault.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    wowzas I'm glad Iím a cheddar curtain refugee, living in exile, and having way more fun now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Make engine noises as you ride and claim that you have a motor in the seat tube like Fabian Cancellara. You should be good to go.

Wrench
    Damn you!
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    Rules is rules. Bikes managed to get banned from national parks/wilderness areas back in the good ol' days when mtbs were just getting started...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Or just get a M8000 snopro put an aftermarket can on the beast and squeeze that thumb up and down the shore. I bet they could hear you in Thunder Bay if the wind was blowing right. BRAPPPPP BRAP. even louder in the caves BRAPPPPPPP BRAPPPP!
    Last edited by Co-opski; 02-04-2014 at 04:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    So...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

EDIT: Must not go into a rant...delete all previous expressions...

Dirt Huffer
    Can we ride a dirt bike to the caves?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    As long as it has a motor and burns gas.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Read the rules folks...sure looks like Bikes, Snowmobiles, and ATV's are all not permitted on the lake shore...

"Note: Bicycles are not permitted in Apostle Island National Lakeshore off of established roads. Therefore, they are not permitted on the ice near the sea caves."

Also:

"- Snowmobiling and ATV use is not permitted within ľ mile of the mainland from Saxine Creek to Sand Point."

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    They are allowed to park in front of caves and walk the 1320 feet or 1/4 mi not the 3+ miles walkers etc have to go. Cops don't even bother them only the criminals on bicycles.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Only in trouble if they catch you... time for some night rides!

mtbr member
    I actually support that ban. It's also the best rebuttal I'd have, if I was ever to come across someone objecting to my riding in the National Forest -- if you don't want to see sleds or bikes on the trails, go somewhere they've long been disallowed. No need to close additional lands to bikes/sleds, at least not around here.
    Denver Broncos: 99-3 since 1975 when scoring 30+ at home. Welcome back, Demaryius!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikefat View Post
    I actually support that ban. It's also the best rebuttal I'd have, if I was ever to come across someone objecting to my riding in the National Forest -- if you don't want to see sleds or bikes on the trails, go somewhere they've long been disallowed. No need to close additional lands to bikes/sleds, at least not around here.
    It's also the best reason to treat xc ski trails with kid gloves- we have a history of getting banned for overstepping our bounds (and for screwing up trails for others)

mtbr member
    Blasphemy! If they regulate bikes then criminals will be the only ones with bikes. Then how are law-abiding citizens supposed to protect themselves from... wait... what are we talking about here?

Frt Range, CO

Not really, bikes were banned when Clinton was elected and the Sierra Club took over the NPS. The SC and wealthy equestrians teamed up with high priced lawyers and next thing you know, we're gone from National Parks, Monuments and Forests (and the Federal Government reimbursed legal fees). The present administration is full of Clinton retreads so the Sierra Club is running things again. I've never understood the Sierra Club's absolute hatred of mountain bikes but it is very real and has severe consequences. This kind of crap (banning bikes where snowmobiles go) is a great example of the Sierra Club's influence.

Fat & Single
    Fatbikes are only just becoming popular here, would be spittin it if they banned them from beaches here.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Anyone fat bike the Apostle Islands?

previous thread on subject.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    Not really, bikes were banned when Clinton was elected and the Sierra Club took over the NPS. The SC and wealthy equestrians teamed up with high priced lawyers and next thing you know, we're gone from National Parks, Monuments and Forests (and the Federal Government reimbursed legal fees). The present administration is full of Clinton retreads so the Sierra Club is running things again. I've never understood the Sierra Club's absolute hatred of mountain bikes but it is very real and has severe consequences. This kind of crap (banning bikes where snowmobiles go) is a great example of the Sierra Club's influence.
    THe sierra club doesn't like bikes because idiots on bikes were making some high-profile mistakes. Riding on trails way too fast, making their own trails where they were told not to, etc.

I don't know why, but mountain bikes have a hard time co-existing with any other trail user. Maybe it's that mountain bikes skew younger, and younger folks have a slightly harder time seeing things from other people's perspective, maybe it's that mountain bikes encourage us to do things that we'd otherwise think were stupid as hell- "why can't I ride my bike IN the ice cave?" Whatever it is, it keeps getting us in trouble with others.

We need to learn how to play well with others. As a skier, I can say that it sucks when someone screws up my tracks, especially on a groomed trail. As a guy with a kid, I can say that it really sucks when someone blows past you on a trail really fast when you're walking- kids tend to dart around.

We'd like to blame the sierra club for being big meanies but honestly, we keep doing it to ourselves.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I agree, even though I am upset I think cooler heads will prevail in the future. A friend walked out there last night and saw no logical reason why bikes should not be allowed when the lake is wide open for every other kind of traffic. There are ATV's, dirt bikes, snowmobiles and in some places cars and trucks. He said some punks had busted up some of the ice formations and dog turds are on the trail out there. Seems to be no evidence of bike travel except the many signs posted; NO BIKES.

Frt Range, CO
    THe sierra club doesn't like bikes because idiots on bikes were making some high-profile mistakes.

We'd like to blame the sierra club for being big meanies but honestly, we keep doing it to ourselves.
    Hikers start 100 million dollar forest fires several time per year, OK for the Sierra Club. Horses pooping all over the trails, OK for the Sierra Club. But MTB'ers gotta go.

Don't be fooled, it's all about keeping what's theirs private. America is the only place with such ridiculous rules on MTBs. UK, Europe, Asia all share. Canada wants MTB'er out on hiking trails to keep them clear. The Sierra Club wants hunters and ATV'er gone too but those folks have clout and lawyers, we're the odd man out. Realize that snowmobiles are legal in Yellowstone but we're not.

mtbr member
    Cuz horses are 'natural' and scared of bikes...
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    THe sierra club doesn't like bikes because idiots on bikes were making some high-profile mistakes. Riding on trails way too fast, making their own trails where they were told not to, etc.
    That's their propaganda. In reality, they're just bigots who hate people on bicycles because they think they should be able to hike from popular, easily accessed trailheads during major holidays and never see another person. But they're unwilling to support population control measures, like they did in the 1970s, because that isn't politically popular anymore.

Off-Road Impacts of Mountain Bikes: A Review and Discussion
    Gordon R. Cessford
    New Zealand Department of Conservation
    Impacts of Mountain Bikes
    "Although mountain bikes clearly do have physical impacts on tracks, these did not appear to be of any greater significance than those from other track users, despite the general perception to the contrary. And, although safety concerns were also commonly highlighted, the problem related more to apprehension about what might happen rather than concern based on any inherent danger, or an established record of incidents."

Here in Tahoe, easily 40 acres of public land near my house was logged with bulldozers. The sediment all washed right into the creek that runs through it, and right into Lake Tahoe which this land abuts. Four years later the understory is just starting to think about recovering. This land is right in town and could easily have been logged by hand.

Not a peep from the Sierra Club or any other environmental organization.

Yet they continually agitate for expansive wilderness designations that would offer zero extra protection to already-protected lands...the only effect would be to block access to trails used for decades by cyclists.

They know this and don't care. Instead of working with the MTB community, who shares their goals of preserving public land, they choose segregation and discrimination, because THAT IS THEIR GOAL -- to kick out bicyclists.

It's not an accident. It's purely intentional. If they could somehow ensure that only Sierra Club members had trail access, they'd do it.

mtbr member
    Make a cardboard shell that looks like a snowmobile