Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bikejor thread!

@adelorenzo

Bikejor thread!

No thread on MTBR so I figured I'd start one. Post your pics, videos or talk about gear and, of course, dogs!

(Some of these are repeats from the daily fatbike pic thread, sorry if you've seen them twice)

Bikejor by Anthony DeLorenzo, on Flickr

Riding at 40 below by Anthony DeLorenzo, on Flickr

Jackson and Starbuck by Anthony DeLorenzo, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Awesome pictures…love them

@adelorenzo
    Here's a quick video I shot today. I don't have any editing software right now so this is just a clip straight out of the camera.

Bikejor from Anthony DeLorenzo on Vimeo

Eat the Earth
    I see this one day being its own category....

Again, great pics. And the video makes me jealous of the terrain you have. wow. nice!

I've been training my 8 month old Australian Cattle Dog mix mushing commands while on the trail and basically just getting comfortable with other riders, hikers, horses, etc.... Just finished building up my first Pugsley tonight and can not wait to get more involved with this sport. My dog's name is Waya and she seems like she'd do great at this. Lots of sand and beach here on Long Island, NY.

I'm about to order the Bay-O-Net from Nooksackracing.com as that seems like the only solution right now in the states - to get the line out over the front wheel.... Looks like they have some good gear overall, too. I might get their X-back harness and some tuglines.

How do you like using the belt while biking? I would think the line would get all mangled up in the wheels or something. And what length tugline do you use?

Thanks for posting this thread.
    Last edited by WheelieWonka; 01-17-2012 at 10:09 PM.

is buachail foighneach me
    The 40 below photo is epic!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Ok, I have a question.

I actually go bikejoring with my dog a lot, but I've been using an older mountain bike. I attach the line to the head tube on the bike. It actually seems to work out quite well.

I'd like to start doing it with the pugsley when we finally get some snow around here, but I'm afraid the clasp will scratch up the head tube on the pug. Any recommendations to avoid scratching the bike?

Here's a couple of bad pictures illustrating how I'm doing it right now:

This dog is conditioned to the point where she has some pretty tremedous pulling power. I'm afraid if I try to use the skijoring belt on the bike, that she'd inadvertently pull me right off the bike (without meaning to). She's a pretty large dog to begin with (115lb malamute). Any pointers/tips would be welcomed.

@adelorenzo
    I think you're better off with the dog attached to the human. If you have the line running from your waist over the handlebars it stays clear of the front wheel. You can see that in the video I think, I'll try to get some better pics it this winter.

My skijor line has a shock-absorbing section, so it helps cushion the shock to you and the dog when they start pulling. Also, if the dog does something crazy I think you can better manage it with your body, if they are attached to the bike they are likely to pull the bike over.

I think my line is about 8'. No matter how you hook the dog up, a proper harness is an absolute necessity.

As mentioned on another thread, I use gear that is locally made by Tanzilla harness supply.

I'm not sure about any of these bike attachment rigs. When I look at those, I think if I wanted to do that, I'd just make something on my own. Maybe strap a hockey stick to my bike or something.

You have a gorgeous dog Stormwalker!

mtbr member

Husky power!

Hi... I've been bikejoring with my Siberian Husky for about 2 years now. I have used the Springer and the Walky Dog which attach to the seat post. My dog runs/pulls beside me up by the front tire. The Springer can take a lot of abuse and if your dog has ADHD it is quite effective in keeping you upright when there is a squirrel or moose in the vacinity. It is pretty heavy so I switched over to the Walky Dog. Denali (my Sibe) has worn out two ropes (rubbing against the pipe) but I don't think either one of these things was designed for pullling. I also tried another contraption made in Canada but she busted it on the 2nd ride.... can't remember what it's called.

Anyways... I love riding with my dog. She is my favorite riding partner... always excited about riding not matter what. I prefer riding with her than other humans

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Awesome thread idea!

Every day of my working week starts off with several miles of bikejoring on the local MUP.

Two Chinooks in my small shop for the day requires some kibble burnage

I actually do it with the lead in my hand. I like the waist idea, but for some reason, never tried it biking. All the time hiking or skiing though. Mine's a split lead with the bungie mid section, very helpful to prevent the yanking.

These guys have been a fantastic source for me, super friendly and helpful. Spent about 45 minutes on the phone with me just talking dogs when I first called....

"Skijor Now, your source for skijoring, canicross and bikejoring equipment and information"

Edit: Thanks, you got me inspired, so I grabbed the camera this AM......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bikejor thread!-h1.jpg  

Bikejor thread!-jh2.jpg  

Bikejor thread!-twoheaded-dog.jpg  

Bikejor thread!-purple.jpg  

Bikejor thread!-jh1.jpg  

Last edited by MendonCycleSmith; 01-18-2012 at 07:35 AM.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo View Post
    I think you're better off with the dog attached to the human. If you have the line running from your waist over the handlebars it stays clear of the front wheel. You can see that in the video I think, I'll try to get some better pics it this winter.

My skijor line has a shock-absorbing section, so it helps cushion the shock to you and the dog when they start pulling. Also, if the dog does something crazy I think you can better manage it with your body, if they are attached to the bike they are likely to pull the bike over.

I think my line is about 8'. No matter how you hook the dog up, a proper harness is an absolute necessity.

As mentioned on another thread, I use gear that is locally made by Tanzilla harness supply.

I'm not sure about any of these bike attachment rigs. When I look at those, I think if I wanted to do that, I'd just make something on my own. Maybe strap a hockey stick to my bike or something.

You have a gorgeous dog Stormwalker!
    Thanks for the advice. I've never actually tried the belt on the bike, but the control of the line makes sense. I've just been grabbing it with my hand to keep it away from the wheel if needed. My skijor line is likely much like yours. My dog starts out kinda crazy though, when you say hike you had better be hanging on kinda deal.

Also the management of the dog makes sense. I've been fortunate where mine does a great job of ignoring distractions and following the on-by command.

I too get my supplies from a place local to me. Black Ice

Now I'm kind of excited to try out the belt bikejoring. I guess I just wasn't thinking about it logically. It works on skis, so why wouldn't it work just fine on the bike?

If only we would get snow! This winter is horrible in Minnesota.

Eat the Earth
    I think one of the challenges with the dog(s) is to get them to understand both "heel" and "hike". I've been teaching my dog both. When we walk locally on the sidewalk or near other people she knows to stay close (or at least she's getting there...) but when we hit the singletrack I put her out front. Still haven't attached her to the bike or myself yet because I think it's essential to teach proper trail etiquette first...

A great way to get the dog to pull is to have a runner or biker out in front & have them chase and thereby pull you. Repetition is key. My dog now knows to always stay out in front on the singletrack and will pull hard when I say 'hike!".

I just bought the Bay-O-Net, X-back harness and some tuglines from nooksackracing.com. For canicross I got the belt from Ruff Wear. My pooch is only about 8 months old so I'm taking it super slow so not to hurt her joints and ligaments as she grows.

Rednose/Greenback
    Ok, I've got to subscribe to this thread. With no snow and limited places to run my dog off leash, this offers some really interesting alternatives. But on this topic I know nothing except my dog and I would both love it. That's good enough to start.
    38° 54' -77° 15

@adelorenzo
    I'm super pumped about all the responses so far. Nice pics Mendon!

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo View Post
    No thread on MTBR so I figured I'd start one. Post your pics, videos or talk about gear and, of course, dogs!

(Some of these are repeats from the daily fatbike pic thread, sorry if you've seen them twice)

Bikejor by Anthony DeLorenzo, on Flickr

Riding at 40 below by Anthony DeLorenzo, on Flickr

Jackson and Starbuck by Anthony DeLorenzo, on Flickr
    Great pics

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    I just found this clip on youtube :

I dont know what he is rding, but it looks like a hacked FS wita Hanebrink front end on it.

Ologist
    Hey - where's the dog's booties?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

I'll have to subsribed to this.

I've been biking and doing canicross. Will start bikejoring shortly, so I"ll have to post to this. :-)

mtbr member
    I too bikejor a lot with my husky around the trails of anchorage. I have a dogmushing background and my dog is sleddog. Although I raised him to be a pet first and foremost, teaching him commands and pulling was like teaching a fish to swim. I'll try and post some video as I have lots from our around town runs.

As far as pointers or tips...make it about the dog first. Don't worry about distance or speed. The second rule is always maintain control. It is safer for the dog and you. Third rule is to go slow...slower than you think. Speed kills. Use a long tug and a 3-4ft bungie section attached to the headtube of your bike. This will reduce the angle of upward pull the dog feels and give you more reaction time should the dog respond unpredictably. Keep the tug tight. It should never sag. If it gets caught around your hub, you'll flip over. Some people have used a piece of PVC pipe tied to your top tube that extends over and out past the front wheel that the bungie/tug line is threaded through. Seems to work but it will probably snap going around sharp corners. H-back harnesses are better designed for bikejoring.
    Bikejor thread!-image.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I usually clip-off the dog towline to the bike by routing it over the handelbar, under the stem and then back over the bar and clip end of line back onto itself to make a loop. Pulling from the middle of the bars, the dog cannot jerk the bikes steering by much and the fairly high&forward placement of the line helps keep it from becoming tangled from the front wheel. I find it helps to use a leash made of really stiff nylon webbing, less likely to flop around and sag into the wheel.
    I dont think I had though to try clipping off to riders waist, I will give that a try too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I got into mushing first and bikejoring later, as a way of training my dogs.
    Add a Mukluk to the equation and fat bike mushing is now my main interest.
    Bikejor thread!-2013-01-19-10.18.48.jpg

In the Midwest more and more sprint bikejor races are happening through local sled dogs clubs in the fall.

Here are two of my dogs at race that happened a couple years ago near Manistee, MI
    Bikejor thread!-dscf4068.jpg

The Bristol Dryland event in Quebec is quickly becoming the premier dryland sled dog event in North America
    These top teams are running in 21-24mph range over short distances.

Nothing beats traditional dog sledding, but I really enjoy the options bikejoring provides, allowing you to jump around from single track to snowmobile trails and forest roads. Now with a fat bike I can also cover most any conditions we get in lower Michigan. Looking forward to getting into bikepacking w/ one or two dogs.

-Matt

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smthgfshy View Post
    Use a long tug and a 3-4ft bungie section attached to the headtube of your bike. This will reduce the angle of upward pull the dog feels and give you more reaction time should the dog respond unpredictably.
    When I started bikejoring a few years ago, I had the line attached to the headtube. After seeing this thread, I took the advice in the above posts about a year ago and began using the skijor belt. This is the first I've thought about the angle.

I never had any control issues when I had the line on the headtube, but I do find it more convenient not to have to lean over to pick up the line when we are coming to a stop or the dog is getting tired.

So should I then switch back to using the headtube method? I don't want to injure my dog...

Using the skijor belt has been working great. Maybe a longer line would reduce the difference in angle? I'm fortunate to have a well behaved/trained dog, so I don't think it would matter if she was further out in front.

mtbr member
    I, too, have been getting into bikjouring. I haven't gotten any specialized equipment yet, but use a Roughwear Mt. Tam leash (9 foot) attached to the head tube and routed over the handlebars and a Roughwear harness. The leash over the handlebars works well for me. I am able to quickly grab it if needed and haven't had any issues with it getting caught in the tire apart from my first ride out. My dog, a German shepard Lhasa mix, absolutely loves getting out there and running. The longest we've done to this point is ten miles, but he was raring to go even further. It's so much fun being out there with the dog. Love it. Great pics everyone.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have used both a traditional dogsled harness (towline attachement near base of dogs tail) and a skijour/Guard Harness that has towline connection point behind dogs shoulders. I think that the guard harness works much better for bikejoring, the angled towline up to the bike is less prone to unweighting the dogs rear legs as they pull, lets them lunge with all thier body weight. I think I also keep better control over my dog and fewer line-tangles when using a guard harness.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I recently switch and tried bikejouring with towline attached to skijour belt. It worked great on my MTB that has gripshift, effected handeling of the bike less than when dog pulls directly on bike. Belt attachement also made it easier to grab the leash with my hand if I needed to control dog when she wasnt pulling strait ahead. Then I geared up and went on a long bikjour ride this past weekend on my fatbike. I quickly remembered why I had previously abandon using a skijour belt when I first worked out my dogjour rigging. My fatbike has thumbshifters on top of the handlebars and the towline was constantly getting snagged on the thumbies. Midway through the ride I got tired of disintagnling the towline from the shifters, tied dogs line back onto the bike stem to finish the ride.

ALM
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just purchased a couple of these but have not gotten a chance to try them. Nothing is fool proof but this seems like a really cool idea and a safer way of bikejoring. We have only been tandem riding off road and I just walked in with our 2 new single mountain bikes we ordered at Christmas. I am hoping to do the test run tomorrow!
    Biking with your dog - Bike Joring - Scooter Joring - Bike Leash
    We have a siberian husky and an alaskan malamute. I will only be able to do this thru end of Feb. or early March because we live in Texas. Temps will get to high after that.

The dogs have a air conditioned dog house for when they are outside here in the Texas heat of summer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast