Thread: Bike Test

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Bike Test

Been snow riding for a long time and saw an influx of fat bikes 4-5 years ago. I put it off to a fad till three weeks ago when one in my group cruised over mashed potatoes that I was walking through on my 29er.

Usually we only get a few inches at time and in between it gets packed down by walkers, skiers, shoers etc. We end up with a nice 18" packed in trail. The 29er helped with footprints/postholes versus my 26. When we get 4+" I usually have to wait or snow-shoe it to pack it in.

Tested a 907 aluminum and a Borealis both 2x10 in medium. Bike geometries are similar. Spent three hours out on the trails and I noticed some differences. Setups were not optimum by any stretch. Both had marge lite rims and rear H-Du. Borealis had a Du front vs Dillinger front on 907.

I felt more front heavy/twitchy on Borealis and had more push in front vs 907. 907 felt stable and comfortable. Able to do switchbacks easier too.

I wanted to like the Borealis more, but based on my test I felt more comfortable on 907.

I plan on running this bike on dirt too which makes me lean more towards carbon, plus thru front and rear is appealing too. Based on our loose snow trails I would like to be able to run 4.8" tires so I am limited to a 190 rear as I cannot afford XO1.

Any other thoughts or suggestions on bikes.

Thanks
    Last edited by Jack'sDad; 02-09-2014 at 12:41 PM.

Nuts
    I'm on my 4th fat bike and I found the front on the Yampa to be spot on once set up correctly. Maybe try the whiteout f you want carbon.

Edit: boy after looking at the Geo charts if both bikes where set up the same I think one would have a very hard time telling the difference except maybe the front is more stable with the thru axle.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yampa had a flat bar with a larger sweep, and 907 had a 3/4" riser bar. I was wondering if tire (dillenger) made a big difference. As a shop demo I just adjusted seat height, not for/aft and psi. I did not rotate bars or flip spacers either.

I would like a whiteout, a bit more expensive than the Borealis though.

It will be hard to do a apples/apples experiment. Was too cold to swap front tires. As day went on it was snowing enough to cover our previous tracks each lap. Borealis did worse as we got more fluff on hard pack.

I did enjoy the fat bike kool-aid. I found myself trying to spin out off the trail and see just how far I could push it.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    how was the stand over on the Yampa?

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    I have about a 32" inseam and with Bud and Lou on a med it works but is very very close, like the frank-n-beans are just about resting on it. That being said we have so much snow this year that any amount of standover wouldn't be enough.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    it was just below the boys, some room left. definitely much closer than the 907. very similar to my 29er epic.