Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Loser

Bike mag XX1 "hack"

I'm glad to see this kind of stuff happening in the magazines - there's too little hacking going on in general with bikes. I think fat bikes are an exception, there seems to be a lot more of it here.

The SRAM XX1 Hack
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That is great, I have seen the General lee conversion for XG 1050/1070 but this one is simple. I have been running 1X10 and wondering why no companies have made other cassettes for 10sp. A 38-11 or 40-12 would be nice.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yes, I'm using a single ring with a 36t rear cassette. Holy crap, I should get some kind of award for figuring this out. Everyone knows it's impossible to climb hills though on a 36t, because 10 years ago we were using 32t and 10 years before that 28-30.

It gets better though, I figured out that when I installed the XX1 crankset, I could take off the front derailleur AND the front shifter.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Loser
    My point being that its unusual for a bike mag to endorse hacking. Yes people do it, but I can't recall it ever being covered before. Now the Bikemag hack is interesting, but the key to it is those cranks, which few people will just have just sitting around (and if you can afford those cranks you're probably going to run the real thing, not hack.

Nuts
    I'm holding out for the Wolf Tooth version.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Now the Bikemag hack is interesting, but the key to it is those cranks, which few people will just have just sitting around (and if you can afford those cranks you're probably going to run the real thing, not hack.
    The Next cranks are not key at all, dude. There are plenty of narrow/wide chainring options for just about any crank on the market. Or just run a chain guide.

Loser
    I was speaking about getting the weight savings, but you're right in operation there are many options.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've heard you can run tubeless without UST? Is this true?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Loser
    hahahaha

mtbr member
    After seeing how well some XX1 bikes work I opted to get a Race Face + XX1 setup for my new bike instead of hacking 10speed parts. I was buying new parts either way. If I already had 10 speed parts I would have tried the hack.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I've heard you can run tubeless without UST? Is this true?
    Yes. It's also true that you can hack a Walmart fatbike into a trail-worthy machine by replacing all of the parts, including the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Yes. It's also true that you can hack a Walmart fatbike into a trail-worthy machine by replacing all of the parts, including the frame.
    That's the key to the hack. Some people they get the XX1 drivetrain, the carbon wheels and Chris King parts, but they forget the final step in the hack is to replace the frame and fork. If you go all the way it's amazing you get a fully pimped ultra fatty for only the cost of a fully pimped ultra fatty + a walmart bike!!! Cunning!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Loser
    I was riding with a guy who frequents a nearby LBS (its a really good shop, but I never go there - just a proximity thing) and he said "you're running tubeless on that fat bike right, because the LBS said it wasn't possible, they want to know how you did it". I let him in on my "secret".

mtbr member

Re: Bike mag XX1 "hack"

...but the key to it is those cranks...
    Not really...lots of SRAM cranks (down to X7 level) can run spiderless rings down to 26teeth.

mtbr member
    I was riding with a guy who frequents a nearby LBS (its a really good shop, but I never go there - just a proximity thing) and he said "you're running tubeless on that fat bike right, because the LBS said it wasn't possible, they want to know how you did it". I let him in on my "secret".
    Interestingly a friend of mine who runs a high end bike shop has stopped doing ghetto tubeless setups for customers after a couple deaths in the area where he lives. Front tire ghetto tubeless failures at speed apparently.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Loser
    I guess that's a key component of any hack - a higher likelihood of failure and then who is responsible for the failure? A couple of friends have asked me to help them with split tube tubeless on their rigs, I already feel responsible for any flats and/or burping they may experience.

mtbr member
    I guess that's a key component of any hack - a higher likelihood of failure and then who is responsible for the failure? A couple of friends have asked me to help them with split tube tubeless on their rigs, I already feel responsible for any flats and/or burping they may experience.
    That's my friend's take - the liability from setting up a ghetto tubeless wheel is too high for it to make sense for him as a business.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Nemophilist
    Well...

I find it hard to get excited about a single cog costing $100, ESPECIALLY when it's a consumable. I cringe at paying $50 for an HG61 12-36 now!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Interestingly a friend of mine who runs a high end bike shop has stopped doing ghetto tubeless setups for customers after a couple deaths in the area where he lives. Front tire ghetto tubeless failures at speed apparently.
    Deaths!?!
    As someone who's been thinking about going tubeless for the last 3 years or so, I'd be interested in hearing more about that.

Loser
    I've been riding split tube tubeless for at least five years and have never had a failure that was dangerous in any way. Plenty of burps and torn sidewalls, some at speed on my 29er, but it is just a flat tire. I certainly have had tubes go flat just as quickly. Not sure how fast you would have to be moving for a flat tire to be dangerous? I guess if you somehow pushed the bead off the rim completely it would flat very quickly, but still, the rim is still round (for a few rotations anyway). I guess it _could_ be dangerous, but...

mtbr member
    Not sure how fast you would have to be moving for a flat tire to be dangerous?
    We ride high speed rocky trails that could be deadly with a tire failure all the time. Mountain bikes with suspension can reach some high speeds.

My two friends that have ghetto tubeless setups have both had failures - none at high speeds happily.

I think the split tube method is more secure than a lot of ghetto setups I have seen. That's the one I would use on my Krampus.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Not sure how fast you would have to be moving for a flat tire to be dangerous?
    while speed can play a factor it's not always an ingredient to be dangerous so remove it from the equation and there's a host of variables that can lead to disaster @ any given moment whilst your having a great ol time then suddenly..........BAM off the trail and dead on hit with mr redwood..

Living the thug life.
    Well, I think this post was about gearing or something

Been riding the Wolftooth GC as a tester. Very impressed with the shifting. I replaced the 15 and 17 tooth cogs with a 16. Shifting down on the 16 is not as great, but the GC shifts better than all my other XT cogs. First couple of shifts I initially thought it had not shifted at all, until I realized it was easier to pedal, it was that smooth. The 36-42 jump is perfect. I cannot see wanting a 40T.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

Loser
    What size ring do you run up front?

Living the thug life.
    What size ring do you run up front?
    32T. FYI, not a scratch from the GC on my alloy hub body.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast