Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Biggest tires that fit on a Specialized Fatboy?

I've been searching this forum and using my best Google-fu skills and haven't come up with anything certain. I've got a base model Fatboy with the aluminum fork. It seems like a set of Bud & Lou tires might be slightly wider than my stock 4.6" Ground Controls but I want wider as they don't seem to be much of a gain for the money. Vee-tire snowshoe XL's seem to vary in width depending on what I read.

Would the 5.05" snowshoe 2XL's fit?

mtbr member
    only one way to find out.

mtbr member
    That's really helpful.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ak-rider View Post
    That's really helpful.
    Come on, don't be a dick. It was a lighthearted comment. I've been wondering the same thing myself but he's probably right regardless.

If you mean ak-rider as in AK47 and you're on dirt, probably the big Knards.

If you mean Alaska, probably no Knards and hope someone else bites the bullet on the 5.05 before you, but my guess is no-go based on the fact that my Ground Controls almost fill up the rear completely now that they've stretched some from being tubeless.
    Fatbike / Monstercross / Hybrid

mtbr member
    really? Come on. The 2XL's are just out. The variables of rim size to tire size are huge. What are you running? Stock rims, Clown Shoes, Nexties? Not sure if you can even buy the 2XL's yet.

The FatBoy is wide but a lot of folks I know are still running the stock tires too. They're just now looking at buying for the winter.

mtbr member
    You also might want to go through this thread, if you haven't already, and ask there. I noticed Lou, Snow Shoe XL and D5's on bikes with the stock rims. Ask them how much room they have to spare.
    Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread

mtbr member
    My bike is stock (90mm wheels) and I'm in Alaska and ride it year round. I want wider tires for this winter and the bike is advertised as being able to fit 5" wide tires. So far from what I've read it doesn't appear that anyone makes an true 5" wide tire aside from the 2XL's. It seems that they might fit since my wheels are 90mm so they may not be over 5"?

Distributor
    I run 4.8 Lou/Bud on Nextie Wild Dragon with a size Lg frame.
    carbonLORD /// KILOMETER

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info and links everyone. I've spent the past couple hours doing a lot of reading and searching and it looks like the Lou/Bud combo is the largest tire that will fit. The snowshoe XL looks to measure out pretty much the same. I'm looking to buy just one set of tires to run year round and it appears the Bud/Lou are probably the best all around combination.

Rocking on a Rocky
    QUOTE=Espen W;12119189]Found my notes, here are the measurements for our production version 2XLs:

On 100mm rim with tube at 20psi:
    Casing width: 5.22''
    Knob width: 5.10''
    Rolling diameter: 31.5''

On 80mm rim with tube at 20psi:
    Casing width: 4.85''
    Knob width: 5.00''
    Rolling diameter: 31.5''

For comparison, Snowshoe XL 4.8'' tubed on the same rim measured to 4.71'' casing and 4.60'' knob width and 29.8'' rolling diameter.
    The numbers for Jumbo Jim 4.8'' were 4.76'' casing, 4.58'' knob width and 30.0'' rolling diameter.[/QUOTE].
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailCrawler View Post
    They are adjusted as far back as they can go. I'm not sure if this will work with 2x10 on the small ring though, so keep that in mind. Mine is setup 1x10.

Espen, any ideas about when the 3XL will be available??

I took these pics this morning, while it may not be as impressive as the prototype shown earlier in the thread, production model is still a big step up from Lou's on Clownshoes.
    Attachment 1006472

Attachment 1006473
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Would the 5.05" snowshoe 2XL's fit?
    No, there is not enough space at rear. The front derailleur is the first hit.
    Surly Lou fits fine, but it's the biggest possible.

Distributor
    Wonder how the new Dillinger 5's will fit.
    carbonLORD /// KILOMETER

mtbr member
    From what I read the Dillinger 5's weren't 5" wide and were not as wide as my stock 4.6 GC's. I measured my GC's with 10 psi and they were 110 mm outside knob to outside knob. After reading about wheels flexing and variations in both frame and tire dimensions the 4.8 Surly's seem like the safest bet. When I measured my chainstays I had 5" of clearance. Laskimasa summed everything up perfectly I think.

For my area, studs are nice but not really necessary. The only ride I could have really used studs was on a trip to Anchorage. There was so little snow and so much ice in March that my commuter bike with Nokian 296's would have been a much better bike to have brought along.

mtbr member
    I didn't know if the 4.8 Knards would fit The Mayor. Until I bought 1 and tried it out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonLORD View Post
    Wonder how the new Dillinger 5's will fit.
    NEW Dillinger 5?

mtbr member
    Is there a new Dillinger 5 that is a true 5" wide tire? I'd just hate to be riding a $500 set of studded tires over stretches of pavement during my commute to work in the spring. Dry pavement wears out automobile studs pretty quick.

With all the reading that I've done, it seems like most current bikes can't fit a 4.8" tire. I'm all for wider is better. I don't know at what size/width we hit a point of diminishing returns but I'm all for somebody coming out with a 6" wide tire. I suppose the crank width is really the limiting factor?

mtbr member
    I ran studded D5's last winter with no issues.
    2014 Specialized Fatboy
    2013 Rocky Mountain Element BC Edition
    2011 Gary Fisher Utopia
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Has anyone tried these on a fatboy yet? Do they fit in the rear of you go 1x? Do the fit in the rigid fork?

Distributor
    When I sold the FatBoy alloy frame I noticed my inside chain stays were worn down to the metal, (frame was powder coated) and with the newer 16's having that plastic chain guard I wouldn't go wider than a 4.8 on there.

With the carbon FatBoy there seems to be more than enough clearance to fit a true 5.0.
    carbonLORD /// KILOMETER

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonLORD View Post
    When I sold the FatBoy alloy frame I noticed my inside chain stays were worn down to the metal, (frame was powder coated) and with the newer 16's having that plastic chain guard I wouldn't go wider than a 4.8 on there.

With the carbon FatBoy there seems to be more than enough clearance to fit a true 5.0.
    What tires were you running that rubbed?

mtbr member
    Is there a new Dillinger 5 that is a true 5" wide tire? I'd just hate to be riding a $500 set of studded tires over stretches of pavement during my commute to work in the spring. Dry pavement wears out automobile studs pretty quick.

With all the reading that I've done, it seems like most current bikes can't fit a 4.8" tire. I'm all for wider is better. I don't know at what size/width we hit a point of diminishing returns but I'm all for somebody coming out with a 6" wide tire. I suppose the crank width is really the limiting factor?
    I've talked to a few people with 3,000 miles on their Dillinger tires w/studs and they don't wear out. The tire wears faster than the studs.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

Distributor
    Lou/Bud. Part of the issue was the first time I built the Nexties I used spokes that were slightly too long and going from quick release, to through axle with a newly re-laced wheel worked wonders.
    carbonLORD /// KILOMETER

turtles make me hot
    Dillinger 5 is smaller than Lou. It will fit. I've also seen Bud and Lou on Fatboys. Fits fine.
    If Lou rubbed the stays, I'd look at the wheel. Spesh's wheel builds leave a lot to be desired. Have someone go over the spoke tension.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yeah I have a Lou and it fits fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast