mtbr member

Biggest tires that fit on a Specialized Fatboy?

I've been searching this forum and using my best Google-fu skills and haven't come up with anything certain. I've got a base model Fatboy with the aluminum fork. It seems like a set of Bud & Lou tires might be slightly wider than my stock 4.6" Ground Controls but I want wider as they don't seem to be much of a gain for the money. Vee-tire snowshoe XL's seem to vary in width depending on what I read.

Would the 5.05" snowshoe 2XL's fit?

mtbr member
    only one way to find out.

mtbr member
    That's really helpful.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ak-rider View Post
    That's really helpful.
    Come on, don't be a dick. It was a lighthearted comment. I've been wondering the same thing myself but he's probably right regardless.

If you mean ak-rider as in AK47 and you're on dirt, probably the big Knards.

If you mean Alaska, probably no Knards and hope someone else bites the bullet on the 5.05 before you, but my guess is no-go based on the fact that my Ground Controls almost fill up the rear completely now that they've stretched some from being tubeless.
    Fatbike / Monstercross / Hybrid

mtbr member
    really? Come on. The 2XL's are just out. The variables of rim size to tire size are huge. What are you running? Stock rims, Clown Shoes, Nexties? Not sure if you can even buy the 2XL's yet.

The FatBoy is wide but a lot of folks I know are still running the stock tires too. They're just now looking at buying for the winter.

mtbr member
    You also might want to go through this thread, if you haven't already, and ask there. I noticed Lou, Snow Shoe XL and D5's on bikes with the stock rims. Ask them how much room they have to spare.
    Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread

mtbr member
    My bike is stock (90mm wheels) and I'm in Alaska and ride it year round. I want wider tires for this winter and the bike is advertised as being able to fit 5" wide tires. So far from what I've read it doesn't appear that anyone makes an true 5" wide tire aside from the 2XL's. It seems that they might fit since my wheels are 90mm so they may not be over 5"?

Distributor
    I run 4.8 Lou/Bud on Nextie Wild Dragon with a size Lg frame.
    carbonLORD /// KILOMETER

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info and links everyone. I've spent the past couple hours doing a lot of reading and searching and it looks like the Lou/Bud combo is the largest tire that will fit. The snowshoe XL looks to measure out pretty much the same. I'm looking to buy just one set of tires to run year round and it appears the Bud/Lou are probably the best all around combination.

Rocking on a Rocky
    QUOTE=Espen W;12119189]Found my notes, here are the measurements for our production version 2XLs:

On 100mm rim with tube at 20psi:
    Casing width: 5.22''
    Knob width: 5.10''
    Rolling diameter: 31.5''

On 80mm rim with tube at 20psi:
    Casing width: 4.85''
    Knob width: 5.00''
    Rolling diameter: 31.5''

For comparison, Snowshoe XL 4.8'' tubed on the same rim measured to 4.71'' casing and 4.60'' knob width and 29.8'' rolling diameter.
    The numbers for Jumbo Jim 4.8'' were 4.76'' casing, 4.58'' knob width and 30.0'' rolling diameter.[/QUOTE].
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailCrawler View Post
    They are adjusted as far back as they can go. I'm not sure if this will work with 2x10 on the small ring though, so keep that in mind. Mine is setup 1x10.

Espen, any ideas about when the 3XL will be available??

I took these pics this morning, while it may not be as impressive as the prototype shown earlier in the thread, production model is still a big step up from Lou's on Clownshoes.
    Attachment 1006472

Attachment 1006473

mtbr member
    Would the 5.05" snowshoe 2XL's fit?
    No, there is not enough space at rear. The front derailleur is the first hit.
    Surly Lou fits fine, but it's the biggest possible.

Distributor
    Wonder how the new Dillinger 5's will fit.
    carbonLORD /// KILOMETER

mtbr member
    From what I read the Dillinger 5's weren't 5" wide and were not as wide as my stock 4.6 GC's. I measured my GC's with 10 psi and they were 110 mm outside knob to outside knob. After reading about wheels flexing and variations in both frame and tire dimensions the 4.8 Surly's seem like the safest bet. When I measured my chainstays I had 5" of clearance. Laskimasa summed everything up perfectly I think.

For my area, studs are nice but not really necessary. The only ride I could have really used studs was on a trip to Anchorage. There was so little snow and so much ice in March that my commuter bike with Nokian 296's would have been a much better bike to have brought along.

mtbr member
    I didn't know if the 4.8 Knards would fit The Mayor. Until I bought 1 and tried it out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonLORD View Post
    Wonder how the new Dillinger 5's will fit.
    NEW Dillinger 5?

mtbr member
    Is there a new Dillinger 5 that is a true 5" wide tire? I'd just hate to be riding a $500 set of studded tires over stretches of pavement during my commute to work in the spring. Dry pavement wears out automobile studs pretty quick.

With all the reading that I've done, it seems like most current bikes can't fit a 4.8" tire. I'm all for wider is better. I don't know at what size/width we hit a point of diminishing returns but I'm all for somebody coming out with a 6" wide tire. I suppose the crank width is really the limiting factor?

mtbr member
    I ran studded D5's last winter with no issues.
    2014 Specialized Fatboy
    2013 Rocky Mountain Element BC Edition
    2011 Gary Fisher Utopia
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Has anyone tried these on a fatboy yet? Do they fit in the rear of you go 1x? Do the fit in the rigid fork?

Distributor
    When I sold the FatBoy alloy frame I noticed my inside chain stays were worn down to the metal, (frame was powder coated) and with the newer 16's having that plastic chain guard I wouldn't go wider than a 4.8 on there.

With the carbon FatBoy there seems to be more than enough clearance to fit a true 5.0.
    carbonLORD /// KILOMETER

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonLORD View Post
    When I sold the FatBoy alloy frame I noticed my inside chain stays were worn down to the metal, (frame was powder coated) and with the newer 16's having that plastic chain guard I wouldn't go wider than a 4.8 on there.

With the carbon FatBoy there seems to be more than enough clearance to fit a true 5.0.
    What tires were you running that rubbed?

mtbr member
    Is there a new Dillinger 5 that is a true 5" wide tire? I'd just hate to be riding a $500 set of studded tires over stretches of pavement during my commute to work in the spring. Dry pavement wears out automobile studs pretty quick.

With all the reading that I've done, it seems like most current bikes can't fit a 4.8" tire. I'm all for wider is better. I don't know at what size/width we hit a point of diminishing returns but I'm all for somebody coming out with a 6" wide tire. I suppose the crank width is really the limiting factor?
    I've talked to a few people with 3,000 miles on their Dillinger tires w/studs and they don't wear out. The tire wears faster than the studs.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

Distributor
    Lou/Bud. Part of the issue was the first time I built the Nexties I used spokes that were slightly too long and going from quick release, to through axle with a newly re-laced wheel worked wonders.
    carbonLORD /// KILOMETER

turtles make me hot
    Dillinger 5 is smaller than Lou. It will fit. I've also seen Bud and Lou on Fatboys. Fits fine.
    If Lou rubbed the stays, I'd look at the wheel. Spesh's wheel builds leave a lot to be desired. Have someone go over the spoke tension.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yeah I have a Lou and it fits fine.

mtbr member
    Here are some photos I took of my small frame, Fatboy SE this morning. I've been running Bud/Lou combination since September and they've worked fine in the snow but I'd still like to go wider if possible. The chain is shown in the lowest gear combination. The tires are somewhere around 5-8 psi. As you can see there is a little bit of room to squeeze a slightly wider/larger tire in the back. The front has plenty of clearance for a bigger/wider tire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Has anyone tried to fit a pair of 5.05" snowshoe 2XL yet?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Transwave View Post
    ...or a Bud/Lou on 100mm rims?

mtbr member
    I had 2015 fatboy expert. 90mm rims.
    There's room at front. At rear Lou running tubeless fits. Until it grows bigger.
    And Fatboys frame is sooo flexy that Lou will rub chainstays time to time.
    I think that Big Fat Knard doesnt fit tubeless. It will rub paints off chainstays i think.

Room for 5" tires, specialized say. I say it's bs.
    Life, Love & The Blues. And Fatbiking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transwave View Post
    There is no hope at all, 2XLs are way too tall and way too wide.
    I had Fatboy, wanted 2XLs, sold the Fatboy and bought Blackborow. Now I have 2XLs.
    Fatter is better

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by FitmanNJ View Post
    ...or a Bud/Lou on 100mm rims?
    I'm running Bud/Lou with tubes on 100 mm Clownshoes on a '16 Fatboy Pro Trail with Bluto.

From what I see there's NO way Lou would ever fit tubeless in rear. True 5" tires would never fit as Spesh has advertised. Sidewall pretty close to chainstay as it is. Bud is OK in Bluto but new tire hairs do just brush.

Pushing the bike hard at 210 pounds there's a little frame flex now and then and a hint of rub but its rare.

mtbr member
    I just checked back on this thread hoping for new info and Laskimasa has answered my question. I'm bummed the 2XL's are too big. I was just looking at them tonight, pondering whether or not to order them. Glad I didn't.

I think I read somewhere that some company is working on a 6" wide tire? I'd be interested in that if it is true. I'll give my Fatboy to my wife and buy a different bike to get bigger tires.

mtbr member
    will the 2xl 5.05 fit up front on a 17 fatboy?

Bud and Lou fit just fine.

Will keep Lou in rear.

mtbr member
    i guess we will see,
    pulled the trigger.
    Last edited by Blaster182; 12-21-2016 at 08:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayncedar View Post
    I'm running Bud/Lou with tubes on 100 mm Clownshoes on a '16 Fatboy Pro Trail with Bluto.

From what I see there's NO way Lou would ever fit tubeless in rear. True 5" tires would never fit as Spesh has advertised. Sidewall pretty close to chainstay as it is. Bud is OK in Bluto but new tire hairs do just brush.

Pushing the bike hard at 210 pounds there's a little frame flex now and then and a hint of rub but its rare.
    I'm 200lbs and I've not noticed any rubbing or paint wear on my chain stays. I've had my bike since owned my Feb '15, ridden lots of miles and commute to work on it during the winter. The wheels have been solid as well, I've not noticed any flex in them either.

I wonder if your extra 10mm wider wheels are causing the occasional rub?

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster182 View Post
    i guess we will see,
    pulled the trigger.

Anyone need a set of 4.6 Ground Controls w/100 mi on them?

Specialized Ground Control Fatbike tires - (X2) 26 x 4.6 | eBay
    Please let us know if the fit. We've had a lot of dry snow and cold temps so far this winter and the trails aren't setting up as good as I'm used to. I'd love to fit bigger tires for more float.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'm 200lbs and I've not noticed any rubbing or paint wear on my chain stays. I've had my bike since owned my Feb '15, ridden lots of miles and commute to work on it during the winter. The wheels have been solid as well, I've not noticed any flex in them either.

I wonder if your extra 10mm wider wheels are causing the occasional rub?
    Yep. Going to 100mm with Bud and Lou absolutely maxes out the Fatboy and is no doubt the source of the rub. Fortunately it's light and rare enough no paint wear is taking place. In bad mud/snow gotta clear accumulation once in a while though.

My 9:zero:7 handles the same setup like a champ with no issues. Weird thing is that I consider the Vee 2xl as a big tire and Bud/Lou on 100mm rims as average size when they're really not.

mtbr member
    Well I got sick and tired of sinking in and not being able to ride on packed down trails these past two weeks that I ordered a 2XL. We've received a lot of fluffy dry snow that just doesn't pack down well, even when you ride a snowmachine over it several times. I'm quite certain the 2XL will fit on the front but I'm going to try it on the rear to see it will fit with low pressure. If not and my Lou rear, 2XL front combination don't work much better then my current bud/Lou set up then I'm either buying a different frame or different bike.

I measured my Lou rear tire with dial calipers and at 7 psi the width at the side knobs (widest part) was only 4.56" and at 4 psi it was 4.532". I wasn't too pleased that they weren't even 4.8" like it says on the sidewall.

Looks like the RSD Mayor fits the 2XL and I read that the KHS 4seasons 1000 does as well. The prices of the KHS seems quite reasonable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I did not read the entire thread - but if you already have GC's - I'd keep them for dirt. And get Bud/Lou for snow. I like to have pristine knobbies in snow. I'm kicking myself for selling off my almost perfect GCs when I got Bud/Lou...should have kept them in case I decided to ride the Fatboy during the summer from time to time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CObikeman View Post
    I did not read the entire thread - but if you already have GC's - I'd keep them for dirt. And get Bud/Lou for snow. I like to have pristine knobbies in snow. I'm kicking myself for selling off my almost perfect GCs when I got Bud/Lou...should have kept them in case I decided to ride the Fatboy during the summer from time to time
    The stock GC's were nice tires, just too narrow to float me in snow. I put them on my wife's fat bike.

mtbr member
    Looks like there is no hope for a 2XL to fit on the rear of a small frame, '15 Fatboy. Here are some photos of my rear Lou aired up to 30 psi.

This is from last night as the tire was just starting to stretch out. Still has clearance.

After sitting overnight at 30 psi the tire stretched out enough that the chain rests against the tire case in granny low 1st gear. The tire measures out to be 4.796" wide and about 30 9/16" tall. It's been at this pressure for about 18 hrs and keeps stretching slowly. The 2XL is supposed to be around 31.5" tall so there is very likely no room for it to fit on the rear unless it shrinks a lot at low psi?

Chain resting against sidewall.

Clearance on left side.

"Clearance" on right side.

Front derailleur "clearance".

So..... thanks for lying about being compatible with 5" wide tires Specialized . I won't be buying any of your bikes again. At this point I'll run the single 2XL up front and hopefully with stretching my Lou will be as big as I can run in the rear. Then I'll look to buy a new bike that can take the prototype 5.6" 3XL size tires.
    Last edited by ak-rider; 12-21-2016 at 06:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Posted this in the 2XL thread. I mounted a 2XL on the front of my Fatboy and it was been awesome. Unfortunately it won't fit on the back. It's too tall and wide and hits on the chain stays. The 2XL floats really well and has been an improvement over the Bud. Right now the Lou is holding me back as it sinks in or trenches causing me to get stuck . I need a different bike that can fit the 2XL on the back. The floatation is really impressive and to have one on the back would allow me to trails that I can't currently.

Here are some photos:

Unboxing the monster. I'm thinking the way it was packed has caused the weird run out in the tire that I'm hoping will run itself true.

I was thinking, "wow, this thing is huge!". At 5 psi it wasn't as big as I expected.

Bud on the front

2XL on the front. Height wise it's not that much taller than the Bud.

View from the bars. I did notice a little bit more snow sticking to the tire than the Bud. The 2XL was less squirrelly than the Bud and held its line better in the 9*F dry, loose snow.

Fork clearance on my '15 Fatboy SE with the aluminum fork. Tire was at 5 psi on the stock 90 mm wheel.

It was noticeably wider than the Bud and the flatter profile worked better for me.

Another view of the front tire.

I was pretty pleased with how if performed on the snowmachine trail I made.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Instead of a $200 tire which may or may not fit, you might think about spending .99 cents on a new derailleur cable.

walking out of the woods in the cold, deep snow probably ain't much fun.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Posted this in the 2XL thread. I mounted a 2XL on the front of my Fatboy and it was been awesome. Unfortunately it won't fit on the back. It's too tall and wide and hits on the chain stays. The 2XL floats really well and has been an improvement over the Bud. Right now the Lou is holding me back as it sinks in or trenches causing me to get stuck . I need a different bike that can fit the 2XL on the back. The floatation is really impressive and to have one on the back would allow me to trails that I can't currently.
    Here you go.TAIGA SNOW

mtbr member

You guys arnt trying hard enough.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    Instead of a $200 tire which may or may not fit, you might think about spending .99 cents on a new derailleur cable.

walking out of the woods in the cold, deep snow probably ain't much fun.
    Not worried about it, that's the tail end of the cable. It got caught in the tire a year ago and hasn't caused any problems. I'm not sure where you buy tires but the 2XL is way, way less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    Here you go.TAIGA SNOW

I was looking at those last week. I'd love to ride one and experience what their geometry is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post

You guys arnt trying hard enough.
    What size frame is that? There was no way the 2XL would fit on the rear of my small frame. I tried. It looks super tight, what kind of clearance do you have and what width rim? It is super cool you've got them on there!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    Here you go.TAIGA SNOW

Yeah. I like it. I wish they had LBS's dealing in them in my part of the U.S.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm running the GC 4.6s that came stock. In the market for new tires but not sure what to get- maybe studded Dillinger 5s or Van Helgas. The Bud/Lou combo is too draggy and may not fit my 2015 anyway. Good experiences with the D5s?

mtbr member

What size frame is that? There was no way the 2XL would fit on the rear of my small frame. I tried. It looks super tight, what kind of clearance do you have and what width rim? It is super cool you've got them on there!!
    Its not mine, a guys in my groups. Im thinking its a large, also they are the stock stout wheels.

mtbr member

Biggest tires that fit on a Specialized Fatboy?

Chatted with the owner tonight. Hes had to trim the rear side knobs and still has a bit of a rub. So yah... it doesnt "fit" its very grippy and slow he says, he had to get a second rear wheel to run a GC rear to keep up with group rides. He still was very fast, i was having some trouble keeping up but he was a bit too high pressure to keep it speedy he claimed.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that doesn't sound like it fits well at all. There isn't much to be gained shaving off the side knobs as the tire carcass is pretty much the same width.

I just bought a KHS 1000 with 2XL's front and rear on 100mm wheels and I've been amazed at the capability. But they are slow and take a lot of energy to pedal when running lower pressures. I'm quite happy being able to run the bigger tires. They are ideal for my conditions and how I use my bike.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that doesn't sound like it fits well at all. There isn't much to be gained shaving off the side knobs as the tire carcass is pretty much the same width.

I just bought a KHS 1000 with 2XL's front and rear on 100mm wheels and I've been amazed at the capability. But they are slow and take a lot of energy to pedal when running lower pressures. I'm quite happy being able to run the bigger tires. They are ideal for my conditions and how I use my bike.

So you ditched the Fat Boy? Wow. Cool that you got what you needed. I really like the rear width of the bikes I own. Pretty sure they all would fit the 2XL. I've been thinking a lot about it lately. Is there a ton more traction than the XL?

mtbr member
    I gave the Fatboy to my wife. She's always like it since I first brought it home two years ago. I've never ridden the XL but the 2XL has a lot more traction than the 4.8 Lou I had on the back of my Fatboy. My new bike is more capable than my Fatboy which is awesome! The 2XL's on the 100mm wheels make the Bud/Lou on the Fatboy look pretty narrow and small when you line them up side by side.

mtbr member

I feel like its not the size or the weight, i had a snowshoe xl... its the rubber. It is just a slow ass tire. I had mine on front down to 4psi and i was rolling on a plowed path, i rolled to a stop in like ft like i had brakes on. I had to keep pedalling constantly! Running a gnarwhal up front now and i run it at 5psi and i fly on it. I can stop pedalling and it keeps rolling...

Someone else needs to make a 5" true tire thats a better compound. Or vee needs to get their shit together.

mtbr member
    It could be the rubber or the tread pattern or the tall lugs or a combination of the three? Last spring I installed my summer fat tires and could immediately tell they rolled faster on the remaining frozen snowmachine trails than the grip studded bud/Lou I had on all winter. I bought the cheapest, fatest tires I could find and they were called big fatty's, but I don't remember who made them? They had noticeable self steering on pavement and the knobs were lower profile but they pedaled easier than the bud/Lou but also didn't handle as well on snow and lost traction more easily. Overall I think they kinda sucked but they rolled faster.

The 2XL's do seem to get snow sticking to them in certain conditions more than any of my previous tires. That could also contribute towards the resistance. But, the first time I rode them was last Friday night on a firm groomed trail with around 6" of fresh powder snow on top. I was really surprised that I was able to ride through that amount of snow with control and less effort than I expected. I think the larger rolling diameter and that they had a tendency to plane out a tiny bit helped. I know from experience that my Fatboy wouldn't have been as easy to ride in the same conditions. My new air gauge came in today so I'll now be able to fine tune air pressure and have a better idea about the resistance.