Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

The big race...I think fat.

So my big race for the summer is a week from today. With a 7 am start, I'm hoping to be done right about now. The hampshire 100, and I'll be having my 100 served in miles, instead of kilometers. After doing some shorter races, including a weekly series, going between my Necro with Hudu/Larry, my el mariachi, and a Full suss long travel Norco, it's pretty obvious that the fatty is slower....on the short races. I know that this sounds crazy, but for the comfort, the grip, the confidence, the care free, and just for the ride of it, I've decided the fat bike is the right choice. Has anyone else out there done any endurance events this summer? I think my legs are there, just to concentrate on nutrition this week.

mtbr member
    I am thinking of doing the dirtykanza 200 next year. The short race 100 mi.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

Of course there is the weight. However, if a trail or course is anywhere near rough with constant roots, rocks, long gravel sections, and such, I think the benefits of going fat are in the decreased wear & tear on your body. Better concentration, LESS concentration required, less energy expended overall because of the continuous low level absorption. Lots of climbs? Well... duh. Yes, the big bumps are ones to be taken into serious consideration on a Fatty, particularly at speed. However, leveling out the smaller noise really changes the tenor of the ride to a startling degree.

I rode my RIP9 in just such a venue this week after riding my Fatty for months previously. Tons of glacier dumpings... like rocks everywhere standing straight up on end... with rock outcropping thrown in for good measure. Real tire poppers. The ride was much more difficult with 5" of travel than on a Fatty with "none." Let's not talk about the CONSTANT low BB peddle strikes! The Fatty just cuts all the crap, and you also don't have to be so careful not to wander a few inches off the trail tread and nail one of the vertical stone glaciers.

Then there's the cool factor. Add to that the ignominy of Fat Defeat bestowed upon some of your competitors. Have I convinced you?
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Saw a few Mukluks during the DK-Half Pint (raced it on my Salsa Vaya). Way over-kill unless it is a wet sloppy race, but I guarantee it will be fun. There will be a few hill climbs, you'll hate, however. Slap on some aero-bars or drop bars, good hard-pack tires with the psi dialed up, and you'll have a awesome setup.

Fat Biker

Re: The big race...I think fat.

I've raced my fat Ti SS in a hundo and a 70 miler, I was not slowed by much.
    In the 70 I was 6 min slower than my PR which was done on a carbon SWorks SS
    I equate the difference due to lower gear needed for the climbs on the 2nd half. Plus it was way funner mowing down open riders on the fatty

Sent from my mobile
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

addicted to chunk
    I did 100 miles at the brown county breakdown in Indiana last year on the fatty, felt great!! This was just an event, not a race.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    I am doing the Gravel Worlds grinder of 150 miles on my pugs in a few weeks. Am I slightly nervous? Yup. But I know I'll get to the finish just like everybody else will, and I do it with cush I won't win but I win in a way!
    Do it!!!!!

BTW...I'm a girl. You ain't gonna let a girl show you up, are ya lol! Just ride man.....stop worrying!
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    I know that this sounds crazy, but for the comfort, the grip, the confidence, the care free, and just for the ride of it, I've decided the fat bike is the right choice. Has anyone else out there done any endurance events this summer?
    Dude, seriously, you’re making the right choice. I did a quite difficult 20,000+ footie / 100+ mile unsupported ride on my racing hardtail 29er in October of 2012 and had issues with lower back pain and general fatigue. I’ve since done some truly epic* rides on my 9:zero:7 fatbike—13,000 footies in 70 miles, several 50+ mile rides with 10,000+ feet of elevation gain—and time after time I end the ride not feeling as fatigued regardless of the fact that my fatbike has at least 10 pounds more on my racing bike, and 16 of those pounds are in the wheels/tires/tubes/spokes/hubs/etc.– essentially “strength-robbing” rotating mass. I plan on doing the HardCoe(re)100 ride again this October (2013) on my fatbike.

* Too many people overuse that term on a daily basis. I use it sparingly. There is nothing “epic” about rides where you’re shuttled to the top of a hill, in my opinion. “Epic” is when you get a beatdown of a workout riding for 10+ hours straight, such that you feel it for a few days afterward.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Forgot to mention I'll be doing the MDH100 this weekend on the fatbike. More worried about the weather (95F and headwind) than bike choice at this point.

mtbr member
    I'm so glad we do everything in kms here miles are scary!

mtbr member
    The race sounds awesome - even though I don't have my fatbike yet and have no idea how it would be to race one, I would say kudos for bringing the fattie ;-) I am thinking of doing something similar next year, by which time hopefully my bike will have arrived...

Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    I think my legs are there, just to concentrate on nutrition this week.
    I mean this in the nicest possible way. Nutrition should always be your number one focus if serious about competing. You can train all you like, but no amounts of training can give you what "proper" nutrition can; it's the basics so to speak. If you only concentrate on what you put into your "engine" one week before a race odds are it won't really matter all that much.

For me that means a plant based diet and it also happens to be a plant based diet for most world class endurance athletes (not that I am one myself). I reckon they are onto something. Look up some of the famous ultra runners - there is plenty of info on the interwebs.

For some going completely plant based might be extreme, but atleast avoid any processed and/or fast foods forever. The amount of energy and endurance I have gained since switching to a wholefood plant based diet is amazing - workouts/training sessions are like night and day. I can literally climb hills all day long, restitution period is negligent, can't seem to get "tired" etc.

If you are serious about endurance events, maybe even some more extreme ones give it a shot. Try it just for a week or two - you will be surprised how quickly changes happen in your body once you only fill it up with "high octane".

Ok, I'll stop now. Just can't help myself spreading the word, wanting for other riders to get the same level of energy - as I remember how I used to struggle before (I thought I didn't, but boy was I wrong.....)
    Age is a state of mind

Moderator Moderator
    Woohoo! Good luck and have fun Schott!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sattvic View Post
    For me that means a plant based diet and it also happens to be a plant based diet for most world class endurance athletes (not that I am one myself).
    Do you have stats to back up your "most" statement? Genuinely curious. I'm by no means an endurance athlete. I'm a sprinter, but what I've observed is a mix of diets among elite endurance folks. In yesteryear the Tour de France riders would pack pork hops in their bar bags for fuel. That was when the race was still an adventure race on unpaved mountain passes. I don't want to start an argument, but too often we hear misinformation or anecdotal evidence. Statistics and research are always welcome.

mtbr member

Thanks all. Yeah, I am always worried about nutrition, what I meant was that it I need to eat especially well this week to store calories. I'm a scrappy little spit****. Skin and bones, my body doesn't have any reserve tanks. I need to eat really well with some long burning stored calories and sugars, and I start replacing them on the starting line of the race. But seriously, im not as worried about it as you and your plant based diet. i dont eat crap for the most part, but i enjoy some good local pork or a fat steak....and eggs, eggs, eggs. I also need to ensure that I don't put myself into a bad spot this week at all with training rides, nice and easy this week.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Food and Fat

Quote Originally Posted by Sattvic View Post
    The race sounds awesome - even though I don't have my fatbike yet and have no idea how it would be to race one, I would say kudos for bringing the fattie ;-) I am thinking of doing something similar next year, by which time hopefully my bike will have arrived...

I mean this in the nicest possible way. Nutrition should always be your number one focus if serious about competing. You can train all you like, but no amounts of training can give you what "proper" nutrition can; it's the basics so to speak. If you only concentrate on what you put into your "engine" one week before a race odds are it won't really matter all that much.

For me that means a plant based diet and it also happens to be a plant based diet for most world class endurance athletes (not that I am one myself). I reckon they are onto something. Look up some of the famous ultra runners - there is plenty of info on the interwebs.

For some going completely plant based might be extreme, but atleast avoid any processed and/or fast foods forever. The amount of energy and endurance I have gained since switching to a wholefood plant based diet is amazing - workouts/training sessions are like night and day. I can literally climb hills all day long, restitution period is negligent, can't seem to get "tired" etc.

If you are serious about endurance events, maybe even some more extreme ones give it a shot. Try it just for a week or two - you will be surprised how quickly changes happen in your body once you only fill it up with "high octane".

Ok, I'll stop now. Just can't help myself spreading the word, wanting for other riders to get the same level of energy - as I remember how I used to struggle before (I thought I didn't, but boy was I wrong.....)

1. Kill it and grill it.
    2. Air up the tires and haul a$$ on the fattie.

mtbr member
    The fatbike feels slower, and is probably twice as heavy, yet in a 24 hour race I beat my previous best number of laps. I think the fatbike pays off when you're exhausted because you don't have to worry about lines etc, just bash through.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member

I did the 100 kilometer version of this race two years ago. I had a dream last night that I was putting the hurt on myself on the fatbike grinding up the "power line" climb, as I rode past scores of people walking their skinny bikes. I walked it last time, as did everyone else that I could see. It's a loose rocky steep bastard. I wonder.....

Looks like I'll be lining up with some top names, and mountain bike gods. Jeremiah Bishop, and Cameron Cogburn are both doing the Mt Washington hill climb the day before, and I still planning on saying goodbye at the starting line. Tinker Juarez is usually there too, in all his style. Not to mention I'll also be lining up with two great friends and riding parters. One will be on a Ti 29er, the other on carbon full suss....if I can beat just one of them on the fatty, please just one.

Karma Vampire

I completed my first fat 100 this summer. I like the OP snuck up on the hundy distance with fat. I had plenty o'hundies under my skinny tire SS belt. I used gravel and single track to ramp up the effort/distances. I am approx. 15% slower on the fatbike. Nutrition, I just did what worked in training and prior endurance races. Basically, that was Infinit with gel/shot bloks/chomps to supplement kcals during cool weather. Keep the kcals coming. Climbing will get to you as the miles rack up. Just gear down, rocket science, right? I was however, surprised how much my upper body started to fatigue. Some of that was a too long stem, some of it was not enough SS this season and some just additional steering mass. The ride was rougher than it should of have been as my tire pressure was a tad high too. I should of taken the time to release a bit at an aid station. Sticks more than rocks were my biggest risk for a DNF. You might want to pack one of these http://www.genuineinnovations.com/bi...epair-kit.html and tire boot. I had the extra security of split tube tubeless. I definitely felt that derailleur hanging down in the sticks, but I don't have the watts to run SS fat style.

I have one more fat hundred on another relatively flat course on my radar this summer. This time, I plan to run Marge Lites instead of Rolling Darryl's but sticking with HuDu's.

Last bit of advice, don't get carried away with gobbling up your skinny tire brethren until the last 15-20 miles, it is too darn addictive to light the fuse any earlier.

Good luck to Schott and NakedBabyToes on your races.

mtbr member

I've been happily toobless since I bought the bike, I'm going to add another dose of slosh to them this week, but I'll still carry a tube for this one. And yes, with the look of the sidewalls on my Husker-don't, I'll be carrying a tyre patch as well. I've been running it 1x9 this summer, but I threw on a 22 and a derailleur last night. I'm pretty sure I'll want it.

Bad cat!
    Go get em Schott--I did ride a 50 mile race last year on my Mukluk (Butte 50) and never for an instant regretted being on a fatbike. I just rolled it with the usual tire pressure (about 8psi) used a frame bag and ditched the camelbak (bliss) and never once had to dismount because of terrain. Lots of climbing in this race, and the granny was well used, but the bike just motored up everything. Only fatbike, so more conversation than usual. Mostly positive but you might hear a few snide remarks as well... Finished better than the previous year on an FS 26. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    Do you have stats to back up your "most" statement? Genuinely curious.
    Sorry for the hijack - start hijack

Nope, no actual numbers. Just following the ultra marathoners and reading their versions / training regiments. Scott Jurek is a big influece. But I was always sceptic, until I came across one of the few statistically significant nutritional studies proving that plant based diet prevents and cures heart disease and cancer - all statistically significant / no rumours or hearsay.

Granted, that study does not relate to endurance athletes. But for me the mixture of many ultra runners eating this way + the added benefit of eliminating all the typical western illnesses was what convinced me. Not to mention that I feel faster and have more energy than my days of running competitively in Uni (many years ago...)

Hijack out.

Apologies to OP, as this should probably be in another thread.
    Age is a state of mind

mtbr member

No worries, it's relevant. Getting fired up. Group ride tomorrow, something light on Friday morning and Saturday afternoon. Try to avoid being convinced to do the short course race sat. evening.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Schott, follow your dream, seriously. I understand your concern about diet. Endurance races are often won and lost and completed or not because of diet and life leading up to the event.

About the nutritional studies mentioned earlier, specifically The Chine Study, it is a must read for anyone interested in health.

And Leo, I agree, the word Epic is used too much. I did a race last weekend that was 157 miles with 10,000 feet of climbing with half of it in some nice headwinds and heat. A sag driver told me over 100 people didn't finish because of conditions. I was glad I did but I had doubts during the race. The word, Epic, never even came to mind.

mtbr member
    This thread just pumps me up even more about my moonie- "Her Fatness". Great stuff. Good luck Schott and remember to have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    ...I understand your concern about diet. Endurance races are often won and lost and completed or not because of diet and life leading up to the event...
    I often think endurance races are actually races over who has the most athletic stomach, ie whose gut can convert food into energy fastest.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast