mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Big O fenders, anyone use them?

Looking for a set of fenders. Leaning towards the Mud Shovels over the Grand D.A.D. and M.O.M., but then I came across The Big O fenders. Looks like the have a bike "kit" depending on the bike. Unfortunately their website does not have many pics. Looks decent from what I can see, anyone using them? The are over double the price of the Mud Shovels, trying to decide whether they are worth the cost.

Big O Manufacturing, LLC Home Page

mtbr member
    I use them on my fat commuter (pugsley). I like them. Sturdy and great coverage.

I also use mud shovels on my beach and trail fatbikes. I like them because they are quick on and off and cover reasonably well. You will get more splash from them versus the BigO fenders, though. Especially your feet - the diwntube "fenders" pretty much direct the water to your feet - especially at speed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The LBS has installed a few on bikes. LBS owner complained about the amount of drilling and time it takes to install the fenders, as if I remember correctly, they come with the fenders and mounting hardware, but no mounting locations on the fenders?

Once installed though, they are a very nice and a substantial fender. The complete fender package is definitely a quality setup. Much nicer imho opinion than a mudshovel (which I have).

I think they would be great for light mud and some snow conditions, but not sure if they would clog up in heavy mud and slushy snow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeah I was a bit worried about having to stop and scrape them out mid-ride. No pre-drilled holes is a non-starter for me though. I like the quick on and off of the mud shovels, but I was curious about the Big O's, more bang for the buck is always a good thing. Guess I will go with mud-shovels, thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Those look pretty sweet, I hadn't seen those before. I'd give them a try! I currently have the Mudshovels, and they work well, but they don't do much for aesthetics.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I installed a set on my bike (2014 Pugsley). It is a bit tricky. I like the look of a fender tight to the tire but wasn't interested in scraping out the clogs of mud and snow so I mounted with a bit more clearance. The trade off there is mucho toe overlap making it not so good on slow tight singletrail. I like the look but am afraid they will be coming off (a not so quick proposition) when riding the tight stuff.

Last edited by Dave in Ozark; 11-28-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Added bike info

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    With the Big O fenders on a Pug, can you pull the rear tire without taking fenders off?

my body breaks the falls
    I run a set of the "short & fat" on my Muk. Like most fat bike parts, they did require a little improvisation, but in the end worked out fine. Rear wheel comes off fine and the short fender still provides ample coverage. It would be nice it there were a quick release method to install, but I don't mind running them all the time. I shortened the front to reduce the amount it twisted.

Big O fenders, anyone use them?-img_0761.jpg

Big O fenders, anyone use them?-img_1008.jpg
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fixed1313 View Post
    With the Big O fenders on a Pug, can you pull the rear tire without taking fenders off?
    Yes- only requires a minor wiggle to get the tire tread past the rear caliper. I rode it yesterday on some muddy trails. Didn't notice toe overlap as bad as I did just doing circles in front of the house. Surprisingly there was no mud clumping in the fender at all. That makes me happy

MN/WI
    I live in the Twin Cities and got them installed by Big O for free. There's supposed to be a larger set coming out for the Moonlander-sized tires. Only issue I've hand is the bolt loosening up on the rear fender. Added some mud flaps.
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Big O fenders, anyone use them?

Thanks for the info guys, looking to purchase a Pug and will need fenders. The Big O's seem to be a good choice, I was just a bit worried about wheel removal with the rear load dropouts on the Pug. I don't want flat fixes at 5am in 0*F weather to be any harder than they need to be.

mtbr member
    I'm a big fan of the Big O fenders.

They are a bit of a pain to install initially (you have to drill the holes). But after the first time, on and off takes about 15 minutes.

I see they're now available for On-One Fatty, Krampus and Karate Monkey. I'd like them for my Moonlander.

They look good on my Pugsley.
    Big O fenders, anyone use them?-p1010401.jpg

I made a front mud flap out of an old tube, some scrap metal and a couple of zip ties.
    Big O fenders, anyone use them?-p1010406.jpg
    Out to ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Wow, these fenders are nice but they want $60 for shipping. It cost me less to ship an entire set of wheels.

mtbr member
    Love the Big O fenders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big O fenders, anyone use them?-image.jpg  

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by agrumpyoldtroll View Post
    Wow, these fenders are nice but they want $60 for shipping. It cost me less to ship an entire set of wheels.

Mine was $25 to ship to Missouri.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys, looking to purchase a Pug and will need fenders. The Big O's seem to be a good choice, I was just a bit worried about wheel removal with the rear load dropouts on the Pug. I don't want flat fixes at 5am in 0*F weather to be any harder than they need to be.
    Why do you have fenders on at 0*F? Here in Anchorage I put my fenders on when the spring break up starts and take them off when the snow flies.

The only time I get wet with my big O fenders is when I am rallying through puddles and the overspray from the front tire gets my toes wet when my toes drop below the fender.
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenfin View Post
    Why do you have fenders on at 0*F? Here in Anchorage I put my fenders on when the spring break up starts and take them off when the snow flies.

The only time I get wet with my big O fenders is when I am rallying through puddles and the overspray from the front tire gets my toes wet when my toes drop below the fender.
    Our temps fluctuate enough that one week it will be 0* and the next it will be 35*, add into that the large amounts of salt put on the roads and you basically need to run fenders all winter. I run fenders year round on my commuter bikes and I am pretty close to putting fenders on everything I own except for my dedicated trail bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Big O fenders

Big O fenders, anyone use them?-15.jpgI bought the big O fenders, they real nice people to deal with, I did have some trouble because of my E-type front derailleur rubbing but they give you spacers, I also used Surly monkey nuts to move the rear tire back some, but they are real strong and work great :-)

mtbr member

Is Big O Manufacturing still making fenders?

Does anyone know if Big O Manufacturing is still in business? I'd love to get full fenders for my Motobecane Night Train fat bike, but a visit to the website yields the following for at least the past few days:

Down for Maintenance

This store is currently unavailable due to maintenance. It should be available again shortly.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

http://stores.bigomfg.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Give 'em some more time. Should be worth your patience.
    I've got 'em on my Pugs, and I love 'em! They keep me and bike clean and mostly "spatter free" when bombing thru puddles and crossing small creeks.

mtbr member
    I will do so.

They look awesome! I'm surprised people balk at the price. I live on the northern Oregon coast -- read: Water World. Good fenders are like a gift from The Almighty.

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    I'm extremely pleased with my Big O fenders mounted on a Pugsley. I, too, live in a very wet place and they are worth every penny.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Big O fenders, anyone use them?-imgp1652.jpgSydney approves of my Big-0 fenders. When we were headed up the beach into the wind, he was allowed to run free. When we were approaching some folks with small kids or other dogs, I would stop and put him on his leash. He was very well trained for riding alongside on a leash, by his owner. (I was exercising him while his owner was out of town). He trotted along, leashed up, just off my rear wheel, and maintained the proper distance to keep some slack in his leash.
    Being so close to my bike when leashed, Syd didn't have to worry as much about sand being thrown forward off the front wheel and blowing back in his face. Neither did my Pugs and I. The Big-0s Big O fenders, anyone use them?-imgp1668.jpgrule!

mtbr member
    He's been taught to "FENDER!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycloid View Post
    He's been taught to "FENDER!"
    Good one! Maybe he's been taught to "WHEEL!" Syd is a mellow, wonderful, well-trained goofball. I have never seen him snarl or growl. He's always smiling or laughing! Except when he's eating or sleeping. He has a way of getting other dogs to play. He's always ready to retrieve a ball, stick, or frisbee. He's back down in La Jolla now.

OK, before this thread goes to the dogs, I would like to mention that if one rides trails through the forest, be aware that in some situations, a front fat tire can flick the end of a small branch (or large twig) up into the space between the fender and the rear of the tire. if the branch or twig is long and strong enough, it can then, with the help of the tire rotation, actually bend and twist the rear of the fender over to where an edge of it catches on the tire and gets further yanked upwards, bending the fender struts as it gets jammed upward, and possibly causing one to lose control and crash!
    This happened to me. I was lucky and avoided crashing.
    I inspected my installation job, and noticed that the rear end of the fender perhaps wasn't far enough off the ground. I did some other measurements. The front end of the front fender protruded only 9" in front of my head tube.
    So I rotated the fender forward to where I now have 11" of fender protruding in front of the head tube. That, of course, lifted the rear of the fender 2" higher from the ground.
    It seems to have been enough. I haven't sucked another branch into the front fender since that one time.
    So, I hope this helps someone in figuring out their installation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Anyone have insight to if these word work on 29" (x3") wheels, or how I could figure that out (maybe the site has measurements if it goes back up?)?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I'm glad they're on my Fatboy. Some issues on single track, need friction tape on forks.
    Jeep Rubicon Christini AWD 26" FS
    KidzTandem
    S. Fatboy
    Bob Yak w/dog

mtbr member
    Wow, looks like lovely country.
    And God said, Let There Be Bicycles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by josephjosephson View Post
    Anyone have insight to if these word work on 29" (x3") wheels, or how I could figure that out (maybe the site has measurements if it goes back up?)?
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but since I haven't been able to ride, I've haven't been visiting this forum so often.
    I swapped out my front Marge Lite with a Halo Nanuk on it, for my 29+ Rabbit Hole front wheel with a 3' Bomboloni on it, just to see how it fit, and it fit fine. No problem, since I mounted my fenders with the awareness of providing clearance for a 29+ wheel.
    My Pugs looked kind of funny with a skinnier front wheel/tire combo. I switched it back to full fat, since its so easy to do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by PlutonicPlague View Post
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but since I haven't been able to ride, I've haven't been visiting this forum so often.
    I swapped out my front Marge Lite with a Halo Nanuk on it, for my 29+ Rabbit Hole front wheel with a 3' Bomboloni on it, just to see how it fit, and it fit fine. No problem, since I mounted my fenders with the awareness of providing clearance for a 29+ wheel.
    My Pugs looked kind of funny with a skinnier front wheel/tire combo. I switched it back to full fat, since its so easy to do.
    Awesome. Thanks a bunch! This will be alot easier than splitting a regular 29" fender and attempting to make an insert to widen it. Any special considerations I need to make (you said mounting it with those wheels in mind)?

Now to find them. Their site looks gone for good :|

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    check PM

mtbr member
    I really hope they get back up and running. I have a set on my ECR and was planning to buy a set for the wife's ECR. I also have them on my Pugsley. They are great fenders.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by josephjosephson View Post
    Awesome. Thanks a bunch! This will be alot easier than splitting a regular 29" fender and attempting to make an insert to widen it. Any special considerations I need to make (you said mounting it with those wheels in mind)?

Now to find them. Their site looks gone for good :|

Didn't have to do anything special with the fenders. I installed them to provide clearance for any 26" x 4" fat tires, including a BFL on the front.
    I had to shave off the upper ear lobe of my Surly Tugg Nut so that the rear fender mounting bracket on the drive side would line up nicely with the mounting point near the dropout.
    Hope you can find some! I'm really happy with mine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Sweet thanks. Someone in my area has some used ones (pm-ed above). There are also e-something or other ones that are very similar on alibaba or aliexpress or whatever that site is. Anyway, I think need to plan how I'm going to do this first before pulling the trigger.

seedub

Sites back up and shipping

Rcvd mine last week, installing them this afternoon on a Krampus. Solid looking product. Going to be a PITA if I need to remove the rear wheel however, I do want full coverage though - so just going to have to suck it up.
    you may have come before us on no bicycle, but that does not say you know everything.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Been riding Big O for 4 or 5 years (had my Pugs since 2010) and have nothing but great things to say about them. I keep them on most of the year. Never an issue with them, the fenders are sturdy, robust and they have great customer service.

I tired various home brew fenders and none of them ever worked right.

People are constantly stopping me and asking me about the fenders...I get compliments about them all the time.

No predrilled holes are a bummer, but if you're remotley handy you should be able to do it. Any LBS should be more than able of doing it. You probably need a second set of hands to install...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    You have to loosen the rear stays. I do it all the time.

mtbr member
    Anyone use these on rough singletrack? I don't want to see them get ripped off my bike while navigating the rock gardens!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    9 mile up in Wisconsin, at the Wausau24. Never an issue.

mtbr member
    There bomb proof enough for rocks

plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nice vid! Thanks for posting!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PlutonicPlague View Post
    I would like to mention that if one rides trails through the forest, be aware that in some situations, a front fat tire can flick the end of a small branch (or large twig)...

...and possibly causing one to lose control and crash!
    Anyone else have any issues w branches? Most of my trail time involves stick littered ST and have been kicking up more branches than ever since riding FAT. Branches and small downed trees seem to bounce up and strike the BB quite violently at times. Once a wrist thick branch got wedged between my crank arm, frame and the ground and picked me and the bike up quite abruptly.

I have always let speed and momentum carry me through trail obstacles but the fat tires really kick up stuff. So how are folks doing w these fenders and sticks?

That be my last concern

mtbr member
    Bump