mtbr member

Big Fat Larry on Rolling Darryl rims on Necro Pugs, first impressions :MUD!!

I purchased a Necro Pugs 2012 model in June of 2012. It came with undrilled RDs, Endo rear & reg Larry front. After a few initial rides on dirt, sand, and pavement trails, I decided that the Larry wasn't working for me as a front tire due to my light weight and small stature. I would have to have Larrry virtually flat to utilize the tread width and doing that meant huge self steer issues! So I sold the Larry and bought a takeoff Endo from an ebay seller.
    Had great success with Endo both F&R. Did everything I asked it to do and did it quite well. The square profile tire design allowed me to use all 3.7" of tread but still have a decent psi in the tire in order to not pedal flat feeling tires(to me, mind you, since I run 5psi or so on pavement).
    Snow came and still, endo was the word. When I bought my pugs, the shop guys talked me out of BFLs & a Moonie. Said I was too small and light to notice anything float wise except how dang hard the excess friction and inertia would be to pedal. They said I would hate it, probably never ride it, and ruin the fatbike experience completely.
    Hey, these guys are supposed to be salesmen??!!!

Anywho....the guy taking my order mentioned that I could still run BFLs on the Necro if I wanted. That stuck with me.....

So this winter, I kept an eye out for a used pair. I found a set of BFL on ebay(godlikedog...thank you!!) and made the sale. They came on Thursday and I just rode the trails today. My first impressions on mud:

YEEEEHAAAAAWWW! Conditions that weren't walkable were rideable! The float and footprint was incredible. You would think the extra 1" of float wouldn't matter so much but it really did. I rode 8 miles of muddy freshly rained on and previously 6" of snow melt trail without a hitch. All gears usable, no rub. Plenty of clearance. I can see where you really need that extra frame clearance for mud/snow/ice. There is plenty with the BFL/RD combo both F&R, I had though maybe I could get away with a Bud/Lou combo and shave some side nobs next year but after the mudfest of today, I can see where buildup on a close clearance tire could really be a bummer. As it was, I never had to stop and clear anything out but my clearance at the end of my ride while sitting on my bike and pedaling, it sure looked like I had the Bud & Lou combo going!
    I did notice that on cambers with mud, you are sliding much easier than with my Endos. The lack of side nobs really make a difference on camber situations. You definately learn to pick a different line than I had with my Endos before. But other than that, I was rolling over everything like a monster truck. Smiling from ear to ear.
    I get home and my hubby was like "I don't even have to ask you how it was, I can tell you had fun just by your smile and your muddy clothes!"
    I said "Yeah, you should see the bike!!"

Yuppers, fat bikes rock.
    Big Fat Larry on Rolling Darryl rims on Necro Pugs, first impressions :MUD!!-image.jpg
    Big Fat Larry on Rolling Darryl rims on Necro Pugs, first impressions :MUD!!-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am looking forward to BFL's on RD's this summer! Scored a used set at the lbs too

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Nakedbabytoes, nice ride report on the BFLs. What type/model of saddle is that? Is it comfortable for trail riding? I would imagine it is pretty lightweight.
    Thnaks,

mtbr member
    It's a Tioga Spyder Twin Rail. It matches my pedals. I don't have a lot of miles on it yet, less than 20 since I just got it. So far, so good. I am normally a Brooks fan but wanted to try something more water & muck friendly on the pugs. Can't get much more water friendly than carbonite with no foam cushion. I'll do a review on it later this spring once I get more miles in it.
    Thanks for the comments, gents!

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    NBT - thanks for the report. I'll have to put BFL's on the wish list.

I made two changes to my Necro this week:

1) Got a set of HuDu's 120 TPI - much better in the snow than stock Endo/Larry;

2) Drilled out my rims as per instructions on this form. Not hard to do but slow - count on two hours per wheel. The bike feels more agile as a result.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for the report/review. I think I'm going to have to try some BFL's on my Necro/pugs for the beach.