mtbr member
    May 2010

Big Fat Husker Du??

45NRTH is teasing something on Facebook....

I'm hoping for a Big Fat Husker Du....

mtbr member
    Rather see studs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dvo1 View Post
    rather see studs.

+1
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    I bet the BFHD is an actual 3.8" instead of the 3.5" standard HD. It's hard to admit when somone fu**ed up a massed produced item, but everyone that sees one knows it aint right...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm HOPING for a BFHD, but unfortunately I don't think that is what they are teasing. I think Surly will be the only brand putting out the "big fat" sized tires for at least a little while longer.

Studded HDs are probably more likely...

Human Test Subject
    I could see vee rubber making super fats. Their 2012 line added a 26x4.0 and a bunch of 700c x 40 cx tires.

mighty sailin' man
    Quote Originally Posted by atom29 View Post
    I bet the BFHD is an actual 3.8" instead of the 3.5" standard HD. It's hard to admit when somone fu**ed up a massed produced item, but everyone that sees one knows it aint right...
    endo was guilty of this too
    said 4.0 as I recall
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by atom29 View Post
    Yeah I think you're right! But on the other hand everybody has wanted a little bit smaller tire for summer use and by accident they nailed it on the head.
    Last edited by bdundee; 02-12-2012 at 10:58 AM.
    And I love beer!!

ouch....
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Yeah I think you right! But on the other hand everybody has wanted a little bit smaller tire for summer use and by accident they nailed it on the head.
    Exactly. The fat bike makers are realizing that more folks are riding these on dirt, not everyone needs max float.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by FTMN View Post
    45NRTH is teasing something on Facebook....

I'm hoping for a Big Fat Husker Du....

I've not yet tried the HD (but intend to)... I'm just curious - does anyone have a listing of tire width of all the major players - on the same width rim?

From what I can tell, the order is something like this, small to big:
    Husker Du
    Endo
    Larry
    Nate
    BFL

?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gregk View Post
    I've not yet tried the HD (but intend to)... I'm just curious - does anyone have a listing of tire width of all the major players - on the same width rim?

Husker Du
    Endo
    Larry
    Nate
    BFL

?
    Is it true that all but the BFL are built on the same casing? If so it seems odd HDs end up being significantly smaller.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BobShort View Post
    Is it true that all but the BFL are built on the same casing? If so it seems odd HDs end up being significantly smaller.
    I have the HD, Larry, and Black Floyds (and one Endo). Of those, only the Endo looks similar to the HD in casing shape on and off the rim. The Larry and Floyd sit differently, even off the rim (IMO)

Sandy Pants
    Feb 2011
    I would really like a set of HDs, if they weren't not only narrower but also smaller in diameter than a Larry. Slightly narrower I could live with, but not smaller diameter. I don't need a BFl size (although wouldn't mind), but would buy HDs that were at least equal in diameter (in width also would be nice) to Larrys in a heartbeat.
    Nates are too heavy, and too much rolling resistance for my use.
    Guess I'll just have to continue having a blast with my standard Larry/Endomorph combo - washouts be damned. Sigh.

mtbr member
    they asked about studs already on facebook, looks like they will just sell a screw in set from what they showed

https://www.facebook.com/45NRTH

scroll down abit
    Josh

Nemophilist

From what I can tell, the order is something like this, small to big: Husker Du, Endo, Larry, Nate, BFL ?
    Hey;

Husker Du Tire Profile - For The Archives

I started this thread on the Frame Forum, and Whit added his wisdom. I'd be happy for anyone to add their findings for the good of all.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I could see vee rubber making super fats. Their 2012 line added a 26x4.0 and a bunch of 700c x 40 cx tires.
    FYI On the same rim the Vee Rubber Mission is a bit narrower than the Nate, but the bead to bead width of the casing is greater than the Big Fat Larry.

I think the thicker base rubber keeps the Mission from expanding as much when inflated.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by dvo1 View Post
    Rather see studs.
    Agreed - much needed this year!!
    "To Name me, is to label me." -
    Michi or Dick Van Patton

mtbr member
    The Husker Dus I've seen are the same size as the nate's, endo, and larry's. Pretty sure they are made on the exact same casing.

I'd like to see a 4.7 HD , but the tread needs to be increased proportional to the casing.

I'm sure we'll see more tires with the BFL casing pretty soon. Maybe a rear specific Surly

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    The Husker Dus I've seen are the same size as the nate's, endo, and larry's. Pretty sure they are made on the exact same casing.

I'd like to see a 4.7 HD , but the tread needs to be increased proportional to the casing.

I'm sure we'll see more tires with the BFL casing pretty soon. Maybe a rear specific Surly
    I'd also like to see a new Big Fat Something tire, with the something part being "something with more traction (rear) and tracking (front) than the BFL". With the conditions I have to ride in around here, I could use both of those things, but don't want to give up the flotation of the BFLs.

100+ wheel-build club

Husker Du
    Endo
    Larry
    Nate
    BFL

?
    Husker Du and Endomorph are almost exact same width. I'm getting HD 100mm on a 90mm Uma, and Endo. 99mm on the same rim. For all practical applications the Larry, Endo, and HD are the same width- + or - a couple mm. Seems like the main difference is tire HEIGHT. HD is taller-around 79mm high and Endo more like 75mm. I like the HD's low rolling resistance compared to Endo's. I have recently switched to HD's F + R. They also have better cornering traction than Larry's IMO. Still, if a BFHD came out I would be one of the first to grab one for the front-nice tire. I'd really like someone to produce a BF small-block knobby.
    Last edited by johnny settle; 02-14-2012 at 08:35 AM.
    "Go that way REAL FAST, if something gets in your way... turn".

no dabs
    Oct 2008

Husker Du
    Endo
    Larry
    Nate
    BFL

?
    I've not seen a Husker Du in person, but the origin8 devist8r is quite a bit smaller diameter than any of the others.