Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

A bettererer Snowshoe?

Loser
    They fixed their ruler over at Vee Tire?
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Lord Thunderbottom
    This does not fix my sterlings that are barely 4" on the rim that fatback says they will be 4.25" on
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    No honest, this time we mean it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My initial thoughts were on the labeled size... if the original Snowshoe was 4.7", an XL should be at least 5.9". Looking forward to trying one though, whatever the label says.

mtbr member
    I'm not buying the width claims until I see proof on a Surly rim. That'd be great if it's truly a 4.7" this time, nice alternative to Bud/Lou

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    If that comes within a few mm's of Bud/Lou, and you can get one studded for $170, that's an awesome deal. Compare that to buying the carbide studs at $.75 each and putting them in yourself, it's a no brainer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    They have confirmed the casing size spec that I recommended a while back, and that is 121mm casing width on a 100mm rim.
    For comparison, Lou is 121mm and Bud is 119 (on the same rim), so this should turn out to be same width as Lou, and slighly wider than Bud.
    240 studs on the studded version, so this will be a huge volume studded tire, aka nice allrounder for winter use.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    They have confirmed the casing size spec that I recommended a while back, and that is 121mm casing width on a 100mm rim.
    For comparison, Lou is 121mm and Bud is 119 (on the same rim), so this should turn out to be same width as Lou, and slighly wider than Bud.
    240 studs on the studded version, so this will be a huge volume studded tire, aka nice allrounder for winter use.
    So for us 170 guys, the original Snowshoe isn't appreciably larger than a Nate, and the new Snoeshoe XL is as large as a Lou and won't fit. Why can't someone make a tire just a hair smaller than the Lou so the rest of us can go wide without having to spend big $$$ on a new frame/hub/rims/cranks... I guess the idea is to make us spend the $$$. I'm still holding out for a tweener tire.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BobShort View Post
    So for us 170 guys, the original Snowshoe isn't appreciably larger than a Nate, and the new Snoeshoe XL is as large as a Lou and won't fit. Why can't someone make a tire just a hair smaller than the Lou so the rest of us can go wide without having to spend big $$$ on a new frame/hub/rims/cranks... I guess the idea is to make us spend the $$$. I'm still holding out for a tweener tire.
    I'm going to try a Specialized tire when they're available. Looks to be about the only "tweener" tire for us 170mm guys that I'm aware of...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    I'm going to try a Specialized tire when they're available. Looks to be about the only "tweener" tire for us 170mm guys that I'm aware of...
    I got tired of waiting for that unicorn and bought a Fatback 190. Had a guy at the LBS measure the Ground Control with calipers and it appears to be just about as big as bud/lou; I wasn't confident about it fitting my Fatback 170 and who knows when they will be sold a la carte.

Love the sound of the snowshoe XL studded for $170. Pair of those will probably be my "big purchase" next year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Casing width with the tire laid flat is the true measure of volume. Here are some measurements that I and others have done:

Nate: 220mm
    Mission: 227mm
    Snowshoe: 238mm
    Ground Control 241mm
    BFL: 245mm
    Bud: 260mm
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

mtbr member
    Good to hear about the Ground Control being between the Bud and Nate in terms of casing size. I love my Nate/Bud combo on my 170mm 907, but I really want that extra volume on the back as I experience soft snow quite regularily. I'm not aware of anyone testing a ground control on a RD on a 907...

The shop I ride for is a 907 and specialized dealer, so I'm hoping I can see if this combo works in the near future - regardless, I don't believe the ground controls will be available until beyond April. If it fits, I will be more than happy staying on my 170mm 907 though (rather than upgrading to 190mm). fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    I got tired of waiting for that unicorn and bought a Fatback 190. Had a guy at the LBS measure the Ground Control with calipers and it appears to be just about as big as bud/lou; I wasn't confident about it fitting my Fatback 170 and who knows when they will be sold a la carte.

Love the sound of the snowshoe XL studded for $170. Pair of those will probably be my "big purchase" next year.
    I'm surprised Surly doesn't come out with a more aggressive tire on the BFL casing. It seems to be that happy medium size that is large but still fits in a lot of frames. I understand that they when huge on the Bud/Lou to put the competition on their heals and that strategy worked well. But now that the competition has caught up Surly could do very well with a tweener tire to sell to all the rest of us. But perhaps they are too busy throwing their resources at things we really need like tan sidewall Nates.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm surprised Surly doesn't come out with a more aggressive tire on the BFL casing. It seems to be that happy medium size that is large but still fits in a lot of frames. I understand that they when huge on the Bud/Lou to put the competition on their heals and that strategy worked well. But now that the competition has caught up Surly could do very well with a tweener tire to sell to all the rest of us. But perhaps they are too busy throwing their resources at things we really need like tan sidewall Nates.
    I think that once you add the aggressive tread onto the BFL it is only slightly smaller than a Bud/Lou. BFL fits because the tread is very shallow. An aggressive treadded BFL might fit some 170 bikes but not comfortably on Pugsley which would not make marketing sense for Surly.
    I expect that the Larry's will eventually be replaced by something else but not sure what yet.

Craig

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Knard 4.75 would be cool

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
    Good to hear about the Ground Control being between the Bud and Nate in terms of casing size. I love my Nate/Bud combo on my 170mm 907, but I really want that extra volume on the back as I experience soft snow quite regularily. I'm not aware of anyone testing a ground control on a RD on a 907...

The shop I ride for is a 907 and specialized dealer, so I'm hoping I can see if this combo works in the near future - regardless, I don't believe the ground controls will be available until beyond April. If it fits, I will be more than happy staying on my 170mm 907 though (rather than upgrading to 190mm). fingers crossed.
    I've been wondering about this for a while now, will it work on 65/70/82's? time will tell
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
    I think that once you add the aggressive tread onto the BFL it is only slightly smaller than a Bud/Lou. BFL fits because the tread is very shallow. An aggressive treadded BFL might fit some 170 bikes but not comfortably on Pugsley which would not make marketing sense for Surly.
    I expect that the Larry's will eventually be replaced by something else but not sure what yet.

Craig
    I'm pretty sure my 170mm frame could handle a knobbier BFL size tire, but you are probably right about the Pugs. Here are pics of my frame clearance with a Nate, BFL, and Lou on a Rolling Darryl rim:

Nate:
    A bettererer Snowshoe?-imag0207%5B1%5D.jpg

BFL:
    A bettererer Snowshoe?-imag0208%5B1%5D.jpg

Lou:
    A bettererer Snowshoe?-imag0165%5B1%5D.jpg

Anchorage, AK

Re: A bettererer Snowshoe?

Weight?

--Lars
    --Peace

mtbr member
    "An aggressive treadded BFL might fit some 170 bikes but not comfortably on Pugsley which would not make marketing sense for Surly"

I would bet there are more non-Pugs fatbikes than there are Pugsleys...when you bought a Puglsey you made a compromise...live with it...the market should not be driven by those who made compromises...

-note-the tone of my post is more harsh than intended...however the message is valid.
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    Weight?

--Lars
    You want to know the weight of a tire that doesn't exist?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    1492 kilobytes

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    "An aggressive treadded BFL might fit some 170 bikes but not comfortably on Pugsley which would not make marketing sense for Surly"

I would bet there are more non-Pugs fatbikes than there are Pugsleys...when you bought a Puglsey you made a compromise...live with it...the market should not be driven by those who made compromises...

-note-the tone of my post is more harsh than intended...however the message is valid.
    I was mentioning that Surly would be less likely to produce a tire that primarily targeted non Surly bikes as owners. Their tires are either going to fit on the Pugs or aim squarely at the Moonlander.

However I bought my Pugs when it was the only reasonably affordable choice. So while it may be a compromise now, at the time it was not.
    And I'm not sure about your assertion of Pugs vs 170mm bikes. Pugs has been around considerably longer than the others and Surly was generally more available than the others. Since no one posts sales numbers its hard to tell.

Craig

mtbr member
    The issue of fitment of the biggest tires on 170mm frames is a tricky one, I certainly don't have the answer. Ideally, this tire will work on my bike with my planned 80mm rims... with 100mm rims, it'll fit between the stays easily enough on my new frame (just got back from LBS with it), but will the chainline work? These two articles tell me not to get my hopes up...

Tech Speak: Decoding Fatbike Hub Spacing and Drivetrain Compatibility with Wolf Tooth Components
    http://salsacycles.com/culture/tech_..._tire_capacity
    Denver Broncos: 98-3 since 1975 when scoring 30+ at home. Shaky start, but you know you're worried...

I'm actually really excited for this tire. I've wanted a studded option for the front but don't want to start putting them into my Bud which is also used for summer. I just hope the casing stays true to what they say it will be, and price stays at $170 with studs.
    Last edited by duggus; 03-25-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast