Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Some footage of using the Snowdog to groom my local trails still tweaking a smaller footprint stand on groomer, so for now still using the sled. https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=TeivfmlP2H0

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm jealous of your snow! Since I bought one, we've had a bit of a thaw and most of the snow is gone! I also wonder why I have an all-black Snowdog 10hp compact when most others have the snow-camo look.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    the weekend I got it. we had just got socked with 12 inches of new on top of probably 8 inches. the increased drag from the sled, made it tough going, I tossed on some short skis and did a first pass, then the sled with the second.

still working on a smaller footprint stand on top of groomer, took a bunch of old skis cut them in half and attached them to a board with a rubber car mat on top for boot traction. first attached it with cable to snowdog.. bad idea, no control... now solid piece of wood, but I need to create and attach perhaps two runners on bottom to give leverage something to push against when manuvering... my trails are very tight and twisty... but with some practice it is working well. keeping the left side (clutch belt) side on the up hill side of the trail helps.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by twright205 View Post
    Some footage of using the Snowdog to groom my local trails still tweaking a smaller footprint stand on groomer, so for now still using the sled. https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=TeivfmlP2H0
    Good stuff, Thom! I'm loving the Snowdog, it is fun to operate besides being really versatile and getting thru tight spots the snowmobile would not fit.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    I'm jealous of your snow! Since I bought one, we've had a bit of a thaw and most of the snow is gone! I also wonder why I have an all-black Snowdog 10hp compact when most others have the snow-camo look.
    We have 3 distinct layers of hard crust that is pretty challenging to groom. The ground pressure is light enough with these machines that you don't break through much. Time it right and it works great though.

Consider yourself special, i ordered a black one and Vlad said he just sold the last one. So mine is white camo like Thom's.

I'm also working on a small stand-up groomer which will have 3 or 4 skegs on bottom. I bought 2 pieces of comb from Yellowstone Track Systems for a trailing edge.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Good stuff, Thom! I'm loving the Snowdog, it is fun to operate besides being really versatile and getting thru tight spots the snowmobile would not fit.

We have 3 distinct layers of hard crust that is pretty challenging to groom. The ground pressure is light enough with these machines that you don't break through much. Time it right and it works great though.

Consider yourself special, i ordered a black one and Vlad said he just sold the last one. So mine is white camo like Thom's.

I'm also working on a small stand-up groomer which will have 3 or 4 skegs on bottom. I bought 2 pieces of comb from Yellowstone Track Systems for a trailing edge.
    nice, toss pics up when done,, i am hoping that one of my welding friends get some time to make a proper one.. but we got snow now, so I need to groom... I was able to get around to about 6 miles of trail last night within a 2 hour window... keeping up with the continued snowfall is key from what I hear... but at least with my trails, it ain't just point and shoot, a lot of body language happening behind the handlebars to get it to where you want it to go, once you have the track set, quicker and easier the next times around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Best Tracksled Grooming Experience?-nodabgroomednn.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Q/ What do you call July and August in Canada?
    A/ Two months of dusty biking.

Courtesy of a new SnoDog and the determined efforts of Belterskelter (another dude on this forum) our little ski town of Rossland, BC now has some WWS (Wicked Winter Singletrack). The Dawg has only been here for two weeks but it's already carved out a rolling 7-kilometre loop on our local golf course plus a few of the easier summer bike/hike trails are seeing some corduroy love, with more flow in the works. Where else can a person enjoy a 3-hour fat bike ride, on white singletrack, beginning and ending at the LBS and adjacent brew pub?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    conditions were perfect today.. a few passes over the last few days with the snowdog... and some riders out yesterday, made today so nice.. sorry for the length and no music, but it was a blast.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc5F...ature=youtu.be

beer thief
    Are any of you SnowDog owners having clutch issues? Mine won't disengage and the sled moves when you try to start it. Consequently it won't idle because it bogs down & stalls. I pulled the cover off tonight but can't figure out what is going on. Does this look right?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Tracksled Grooming Experience?-img_7937-medium-.jpg  

Best Tracksled Grooming Experience?-img_7938-medium-.jpg  

Best Tracksled Grooming Experience?-img_7939-medium-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I haven't used mine in a month, as we've lost all our snow. The belt should be pretty loose when not running.
    Jason

CP
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Are any of you SnowDog owners having clutch issues? Mine won't disengage and the sled moves when you try to start it. Consequently it won't idle because it bogs down & stalls. I pulled the cover off tonight but can't figure out what is going on. Does this look right?
    Radair, that looks like a Comet Series 40 driver/clutch, I am willing to bet it's a lube issue inside the drive unit, either with the moveable sheave and/or the roller weights (the thing shown in your second photo, and one on right in your last photo is the drive unit). There are a few videos on net showing how to service these, here's one that should give a good idea of the inner workings.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3FCcLlR-sg

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by C.P. View Post
    Radair, that looks like a Comet Series 40 driver/clutch, I am willing to bet it's a lube issue inside the drive unit, either with the moveable sheave and/or the roller weights (the thing shown in your second photo, and one on right in your last photo is the drive unit). There are a few videos on net showing how to service these, here's one that should give a good idea of the inner workings.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3FCcLlR-sg
    Awesome, thank you! Snowdog sent a pdf manual on checking and upgrading drive pulley so I'm going to get into it soon.

beer thief
    The link C.P. sent was a big help to resolve a simple problem. One of the roller weights in the primary drive was skewed so it was as simple as putting it back into its track. Dry-lubed it all while I had it open as it was bone dry.

I started working on a stand-up grooming sled. I scored a 2' square of Grip-Strut from a friend in the tower business. I welded a yoke to a piece of beefy angle and welded that to the platform. I screwed & bolted a couple 2x6 sleepers to the bottom and cut up a pair of twin-tip skis. I screwed a pair of Yellowstone Track Systems combs to the trailing edge, and am going to attach three L1.5 x 1/8 angles as skegs between the skis. I like these, as they will help protect the P-Tex and combs on the one road crossing I need to do.

I still need to drill out and extend a piece of 2" square tube steel for the connecting arm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Tracksled Grooming Experience?-grooming-sled-grate-medium-.jpg  

Best Tracksled Grooming Experience?-grooming-sled-grate-close-medium-.jpg  

Best Tracksled Grooming Experience?-grooming-sled-bottom-medium-.jpg  

beer thief
    Finished off the grooming sled tonight. Stoked to try it out tomorrow but will ride first thing in the morning while it's all frozen. Today's ride made all the Snowdog effort worthwhile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Tracksled Grooming Experience?-grooming-sled-top-final-medium-.jpg  

Best Tracksled Grooming Experience?-grooming-sled-bottom-final-medium-.jpg  

Best Tracksled Grooming Experience?-grooming-sled-hitch-final-medium-.jpg  

beer thief
    OK, I'll let this one die after this. Works great but 55 degrees F is way too warm!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Tracksled Grooming Experience?-snowdog-grooming-sled-medium-.jpg  

Best Tracksled Grooming Experience?-corduroy-medium-.jpg  

Best Tracksled Grooming Experience?-grooming-sled-2-22-17-medium-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That looks great!
    Jason

CP
    Nicely done! I imagine the three L1.5 x 1/8 angles/skegs make it easier and more stable to handle turning etc standing up? I am intrigued by these tracksleds for SEMASS, and since we get less snow (esp the last few years) I keep wondering if they can be used in other seasons to pull materials to project sites or if there would be too much risk to damaging the track.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Their videos show them used on dry-ish land, and people are buying them around here for hunting. I bought one with summer use in mind as well. It could be an extra hand when moving downed trees, or using the sled to move dirt.
    Jason

beer thief
    Chris, the skegs are so you can track on off-camber terrain and turn in firm conditions. When I first received the unit we had a hard crust layer that the sled runners did not penetrate. Try to turn and you just pushed the sled off to the side. So the skegs would not really be needed in soft conditions but are needed on harder snow. Plus they provide some protection to the P-Tex and combs. They could probably be shallower but that's what I had on hand.

Tough call on summer use. I am not anticipating using it on dirt and your area is so rocky that I suspect you'd be tearing up the track pretty quickly. It would be great if it worked well on dirt; it would be easy to build a wheeled sled for hauling materials.

We still have not bought a Muck Truck - can't seem to find one and I even called them and left a message.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Hello,
    As I have mentioned before, we are working on a trail groomer, that can be mass produced at reasonable price. Here at this link we are already offering a ski groomer, you can take a look at the design here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kve4kyb4b0...00199.PDF?dl=0

We have worked on a little and plan to manufacture a fat bike groomer.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tv61yopedf...oomer.PDF?dl=0

It will 100% metal, powder coated. Please let me know your thoughts about it.

Vlad

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    or here is another device, that one of our dealers has created.
    Best Tracksled Grooming Experience?-20161202_134734.jpgBest Tracksled Grooming Experience?-20161202_134758.jpgName:  20170101_140247.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  22.1 KB

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I built a similar machine three years ago and have been using it in Madison Wisconsin ever since with some tweaks. Here's a video from the first test run.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHFYmehzE3o

I've found that trying to shave peaks and carry snow like a snowmobile trail groomer is unnecessary for bike trails. A basic sled flattens the trail just fine and uses less power. If the trail is truly ice, you can't fix it anyway with a machine this size (you need a power tiller and a lot more weight and horsepower like a groomer at a ski resort).

The final drag (V3) is basically a steel and composite sled that creates a ridged surface and glides over concrete on wheels with a special hitch for weight distribution. Unfortunately, I don't have many photos or videos of the machine due to limited use with the warm winter the past two winters.

Here's a photo of the groomer on the first demo drive around the yard and the V3 drag.

It's been a fun project.Best Tracksled Grooming Experience?-1-img_20150228_151712104_hdr.jpgName:  1-IMG_20170108_143031047.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  60.3 KB

Live to Ride-Ride to Live
    Aug 2006

Home-built Tracksled Experiences

After a few months of constructing, using, revising, and perfecting a home version of a Tracksled for Fat Bike grooming I think this is about as good of tool as I can make.
    The first version had the engine mounted on top the frame and more forward. This worked well on flat, open terrain, but was nowhere near stable enough to use for grooming the singletrack we were trying to use. I quit counting after tipping the sled on its side 10 times on a 7 mile loop.
    Version 1.0
    Best Tracksled Grooming Experience?-img_0158.jpg
    A few hours of cutting/welding later I had moved the engine to the center of gravity and as low as possible without interfering with the track. This made a huge difference. The sled was now very stable and turned much easier than the first version. The 7 mile summer singletrack test loop was fully groomed in just over an hour. This thing was looking promising but while steering was easier than the first version still was quite an upper body workout.
    The final modification made the steering far less dependent on upper body strength. I moved the groomer attachment to the Tracksled from the "bumper pull" location to a "gooseneck" connection. The thought was with the rear connection when standing on groomer you have to essentially lift/move half of you body weight each time you turned the sled. This contraption is actually a skid steer of sorts and lifting anything more than weight of the machine was a waste of energy. By moving the groomer connection close to the sleds center of gravity it made a huge improvement in the effort steering the sled took.

Version 2.0
    Best Tracksled Grooming Experience?-img_0200.jpg
    The next one I build will be far more "clean" as the various adjustments, and modifications left this one not quite as clean as I wanted. One side note is the seat on the groomer plays an important part in steering the sled as well. It allows a better leverage point when skid steering the sled went seated or standing by pressing the seat against the inner thigh.

Version 3.0
    Best Tracksled Grooming Experience?-spruce-goose.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    About 6 weeks ago we purchased a SnowDog B13ME. Unfortunately it was right after a big dumping of snow (4 to 5 feet in 10 days). We are also on pretty hilly, tight terrain. This is pretty tough conditions to operate these things in, especially while learning how to handle them. As the snow settled.. and went through some freeze thaw cycles, and as I got more practice.. things got better. but I still found the machine to be tough to handle at times. I would be going along great with it.. then suddenly it would tip, and head off into the woods. I had a hard time keeping it upright at times. I started wondering about the handlebar placement. Looking at other machines, it seemed as if where they fastened on the machine varied. Looking again at the SnowDog, the handlebar folds nicely nestled onto the top of the machine, it's pretty slick that way. I wondered how much of it's design was toward that goal. I decided to try some experimentation. I made up some moveable temporary mounts. I tried mounting them on the top rail [higher up than the stock location] and toward the front of the cargo area. That made a huge difference. It quickened up the handling… and was somewhat easier to keep upright [although still not "perfect"]. With the HB assembly sticking out less distance from the machine, means it doesn't need as much space in a turn also. I did find with it set up this way, it was tougher to turn on bare ground, but on snow, I found it better. Next up was handlebar width. For a temporary test. I whittled down a dowel, to splice on some sections of an old mountain bike handlebar. I originally went from roughly 22" width to about 35". With the altered mount and wider bars.. the difference was amazing! It was so easy to handle.. and didn't even come close to tipping. The 35" was too wide, it wasn't comfortable, and of course it would limit where one could go. I was going to have more durable handlebar extenders made up.. but I wasn't sure what width I wanted.
    I have decided to have permanent mounts made along the full length of the storage compartment's top rail. This will give me a great deal of adjustability. As well as a spot to bolt in another cross rail, to sit under the assembly [to push down against]. Instead of making width extenders. I am having a mountain bike fork's steer tube welded to the top of the HB assembly. That way I can place a stem and handlebar on it. So it will be very easy to alter the fit. Also with this set up, if I get to a spot that is too tight and can't fit through. I can easily loosen the stem and turn the handlebars upright to fit through. It's at a friends now being welded, I will post photos when I get it back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    nice alterations, looking forward to pics.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I got my machine back from my friends shop yesterday, but unfortunately I can't post photos yet. My computer is "melting down". It does't seem as if I can post my wife's Facebook photos here. So maybe I can get my wife to join the forum.. and we can post them that way.

I put the machine back together. Mounting the handlebar assembly roughly where my experimental set up was. It's about 13" ahead of the furthest forward stock position, as well as higher up on the machine. I put on the first stem and bar set up I came across. The stem position felt perfect. The bars a little narrow. [26" range]. Next up.. a 30" bar. Unfortunately the clamp diameter was different. So the longest stem I have for that is a little too short. I know I don't have any wider bars for the "good" stem. I will have to look around for other stems.. but I might have to order something.

I took it out for some more "testing". I could pretty much put the sled where I wanted.. and keeping where I wanted. I got brave and tried another tightish single track trail. Not far in, I hit a lot of steep humps.. and currently with our melting.. water in the valleys.. it is also quite twisty through these humps. Some of the humps.. are the ground terrain, but the snow seemed to magnify them. It I had known the terrain was as bad as it was, I might not have tried it, but once there I was rather committed. Amazingly it went through without any significant difficulties. It took a little physical effort, but it really wasn't bad.

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    A group of us are looking into buying a Snow Dog and have begun discussion with our local dealer. From the above thread we went with the intention of buying the 7HP compact model as our trails are narrow and twisty. We recently received an email back from the dealer that stated this:

"Apparently the research on the B7ZE Compact and the B10ZE Compact have not been that favorable, they have been found to be underpowered and we want our customers to be pleased with the product, so we decided only to bring the B10ZE and the B13MER".

I'm not sure the dealer understands our needs (using it as a groomer) versus what I suspect he sees it being used for (ice fishing, hunting, etc). Just thought I'd seek other users opinions about his comments.

beer thief
    I bought the B10ZE Compact and really like it. It works surprisingly well in tight trails and I would not want the longer track and frame of the bigger models. Nor would I want to have to fight the extra weight of the larger machines when they inevitably get off track - and they do on a regular basis IME.

Any of these machines can be tricky to use in deep snow but they do an amazing job packing tight trails
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Tracksled Grooming Experience?-shumway-2-22-17-medium-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    One of the determining factors I think, would be the amount of snow you get.. and what depths you might be working in / with. SnowDog, in my talking with them, did recommended the compact for trail gooming... EXCEPTING where you can have the deeper snow. I own the B13ME. My only use of one of the compacts, was a quick demo on a snow-covered plowed "parking lot". The snow otherwise was too deep and soft for the compact, to use else ware. [We had just gotten buried with big dump of snow.] I have found that even the bigger machine will go into some pretty tight places. The mods I did to mine improve on that. It results in the machine being shorter in overall length. [from the very front of the machine to where the handlebars are.] My dealer had that compact demo..but they said they would no longer stock the compact either.
    Last edited by Fenlason; 04-23-2017 at 05:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Snowdog tracksled - new grooming accessory.

Hello folks,
    We have came up with a new trail grooming accessory for the tracksled. Its 20` wide, and may be extended to 27` with 2 side panels. Retail price will be around $390. Please let me me know what you think about it.

Vlad
    Snowdog team

Best Tracksled Grooming Experience?-_dsc9765-26.jpgBest Tracksled Grooming Experience?-_dsc9818-49.jpgBest Tracksled Grooming Experience?-_dsc9820-50.jpgBest Tracksled Grooming Experience?-_dsc9832-54.jpgBest Tracksled Grooming Experience?-_dsc9896-79.jpg
    Last edited by Sndg; 08-11-2017 at 06:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Groomer

That groomer looks different than the one on your site. I was going to build my own, but I am interested in yours. I am also very interested in your new suspension option for deeper snow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'll buy one. How soon will it be available?
    Jason

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    I'll buy one. How soon will it be available?
    Dealers will have it in stock by November.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That looks fantastic! We will likely be ordering one this fall.

Dan
    Laramie, WY

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Vlad, are you sure the groomer widths you gave are correct? It looks like the panels are all the same width, and the base groomer has 3 panels, add the extensions for the 5 that we see. If 3 panels are 20", and 5 are 27", there's no X panel width such that 3x = 20 and 5x = 27. Either the base groomer is 16", or the extended groomer is 33"... or my math or understanding of the setup is wrong, which I'll grant is very possible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by spaten75 View Post
    Vlad, are you sure the groomer widths you gave are correct? It looks like the panels are all the same width, and the base groomer has 3 panels, add the extensions for the 5 that we see. If 3 panels are 20", and 5 are 27", there's no X panel width such that 3x = 20 and 5x = 27. Either the base groomer is 16", or the extended groomer is 33"... or my math or understanding of the setup is wrong, which I'll grant is very possible.
    Actually, I was wrong in my previous post, the right dimensions: center panel with a standing grip is 20,47 inches (52 cm) Each side panel is 6.69 inches (17 cm) wide. Total 33,85 inches wide.
    So you can either groom a 20 (20.47)` wide trail, same size as Snowdog track, or make a little wider with adding the side panels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sndg View Post
    Actually, I was wrong in my previous post, the right dimensions: center panel with a standing grip is 20,47 inches (52 cm) Each side panel is 6.69 inches (17 cm) wide. Total 33,85 inches wide.
    So you can either groom a 20 (20.47)` wide trail, same size as Snowdog track, or make a little wider with adding the side panels.
    Thanks for the clarification!

Some models just arrived at the new local dealer and my friend is going to check them out.
    Last edited by spaten75; 08-29-2017 at 12:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Hi Vlad , Thanks for getting that groomer ready on time. The Farmer's Almanac and NOAA are predicting a colder than average winter here in New England, which could mean more and earlier snow.

I'm wondering if there is room on the back of your groomer for the blue plastic combs like radair's in post #115. I think they might be important as the final step in surface compaction. I guess one could cut into the skegs a little if necessary, or notch the plastic. Have you tested this groomer on snow?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Hello,
    I can change the design to fit the blue plastic comb, but I think that it would be better if I order a metal comb, along the back side of the groomer. Right now the metal comb is only in the middle, but it will covering all the backside on the groomers I will be shipping to USA.

We have not tested it yet, waiting for the first snow.

mtbr member
    Yellowstone Track Systems, Inc. This is the comb I'm talking about. It's on the back of many snow groomers. It seems to me that it will compact the snow much better. The metal teeth will rough up the otherwise too smooth surface, but won't provide the extra fine compaction and lasting corduroy surface.
    Thank You again for helping to grow our sport. Mountain biking is always a blast, but floating through the snowy woods on smooth white trails is sublime, and second only to go-anywhere crust nirvana, which is available only at the whims of Mother nature.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I dont see a problem connecting a comb like you have mentioned. If factory made - I believe I can do it only next year. We will purchase some combs, try them out this winter, and see how it works out.

Other than that, I can only suggest that if anyone buys it, to upgrade it personally. There is plenty if room at the back.
    The groomer is either 20,47 inches (52 cm) or 33,85 inches wide with 2 side panels added.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12