Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Best Tire for Trails on Fat Bikes

I honestly tried looking for posts, I'm sure they are on here but I can't find them. I also googled and I'm just not that smart or educated to filter the info.

I bought a fattie just to "try out" a year and a half ago to back up my Trek full suspension. I've ridden the trek twice since then. I got a bikes direct night train with a bluto. I am on the coast of NC but only go beach riding occasionally, I just love to get out in the woods on trails here or when I head to Dupont or the NC mountains.

Anyway.... the trail ruts have torn up my sidewalls. any recommendations for a good, all-around trail tire for a fattie? No studs or snow treads required, dirt only. Would love to have stronger sidewalls, not a weight weenie but not looking for a block of rubber either.

thanks for any suggestions!

Chris Bling
    I really love my Minion 4.0 tires. Not as high volume as Van Helga tires, but they roll very fast and have great traction.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dustyduke22; 01-24-2017 at 09:44 PM.
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jumbo Jim snake skins roll very fast and have great traction when leaned over. They do sacrifice a little traction in the center for that speed

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    The Mammoth 4.0 is pretty robust in EXO format without being crazy heavy; and rolls pretty well in trail conditions

All fat, all the time.
    I took a trip to Pisgah and used Nate's, happy with the results.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Ground Control's a pretty good choice too.

mtbr member
    Knards rule the day in the Northeast

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    +1 on the jumbo jims. 4.0 tires in general are the way to go for dirt. Ideally on 65mm rims

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gimme free stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKMTNBIKER View Post
    Knards rule the day in the Northeast
    I disagree here in upstate NY! I feel that the Knard 120tpi, 3.8 was very lacking in climbing traction when used on the rear (loose over hard) and felt squirley in the front! I wound up running Vanhelgas front and rear
    Kona Process 134DL
    Ice Cream Truck
    Misfit DiSSent (For Sale)
    Pugsley (For Sale)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks, exactly what I needed. And I am out of reputation to give at the moment but will be back!

mtbr member
    I rode the Juggernaut pro 4.0 last summer. They rode great. Light, fast rolling. I did get flats throughout the summer even at 13 psi (which was a great pressure for that tire). I tried 120 tpi Nates and they have traction for days, but nothing else magic. My 4.5 juggernaut sports (more tread than the 4.0 version and a stiffer 60 tpi casing) felt like they had similar traction to the Nates and better rolling resistance, though I would have liked to have had the 120 tpi casing of the Juggernaut pros. I'm running studded tires at the moment (4.5 45nrth) the and they are necessary and lovely up here this time of year (Maine). I have a set of jumbo Jim 4.0 to try for next summer. I tend to try a lot of different tires because they change the nature of the bike so much. With the exception of the studded tires, you can find good deals on barely used tires out there to make the experimentation more affordable. Have fun.

-Z.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

WNC Native
    Curious what tires are you currently running?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

turtles make me hot
    My favorite fat combo for non snow riding is a Surly 4.8 Bud on the front and a 4.8 Knard on the rear.
    I like turtles

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    My favorite fat combo for non snow riding is a Surly 4.8 Bud on the front and a 4.8 Knard on the rear.
    If I tried that I'd be doing "Gas Monkey" burnouts and washing out in the rear.

JJ4.8's for dirt, Bud/Lou for snow. 2XL for deep powder.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Lol. This thread illustrates the futile nature of such questions. We have suggestions from semi slick to max trac tyres, and both 4.0 & 4.8 widths.

My current combo of Nate front and FatB rear is a pretty solid setup for most conditions, but if I were buying new? FBF 4.0 up front and either the same in rear, or something slightly less knobby.

Ideal steering characteristics, solid traction, long tread life, and fast enough rolling. It's probably heavier than some options, but as long as you don't ride over any scales, it's not an issue.

mtbr member
    Bud/Bud is a good combo, although I'm looking forward to giving the Wazia a try later this season.

Rocking on a Rocky
    I still like my bulldozers for the dirt.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Squ-eti
    haven't had them on for too long, but I've been impressed with Vittoria's Bomboloni's. They roll fast, have enough grip, don't have wonky self steer, and they're sturdy like a lobsta.
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Specialized Ground Controls work very well for me.
    Original Equipment on my Fatboy, so I've never ridden anything else.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I need to find the post that said it best. "Barbagazis just say shut up and ride". Been riding one as a front and rougarou rear till late summer, went dual barbegazis and I really like the set up. Back just BARELY fits on my mukluk cause it's 1x10.

I hated my Nate's, role like crap, felt like I was dragging a boat anchor around. Insane in the mud though. Haven't gotten into any nasty mud with the barbagazis yet because we've actually had a winter this year.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for ITUO and Ravemen:
    www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Curious what tires are you currently running?
    Dillinger 5 studded. Our trails now are a combination of deep snow with a hard crust and boiler plate ice. Pretty typical for our region this time of year. The Dillinger 5 work well. My buddy is running Dillinger 4 studded. He likes those too, but has commented once or twice he outdoor have opted for the 5s. Mostly for the shaded parts of the woods where the snow is deeper with the heavy crust.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    Lol. This thread illustrates the futile nature of such questions. We have suggestions from semi slick to max trac tyres, and both 4.0 & 4.8 widths.

My current combo of Nate front and FatB rear is a pretty solid setup for most conditions, but if I were buying new? FBF 4.0 up front and either the same in rear, or something slightly less knobby.

Ideal steering characteristics, solid traction, long tread life, and fast enough rolling. It's probably heavier than some options, but as long as you don't ride over any scales, it's not an issue.
    That is why I like these threads. It is cheaper than trying it all yourself.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinzinnati View Post
    Dillinger 5 studded. Our trails now are a combination of deep snow with a hard crust and boiler plate ice. Pretty typical for our region this time of year. The Dillinger 5 work well. My buddy is running Dillinger 4 studded. He likes those too, but has commented once or twice he outdoor have opted for the 5s. Mostly for the shaded parts of the woods where the snow is deeper with the heavy crust.
    My question was meant for the OP (RenoCarolina). As I'm in Brevard, where he travels to ride Dupont (and possibly Pisgah).

I also have to second the Barbegazi, I ran a Hodag rear with Barbegazi front all of last year. My only nit pick with the gazi is I wish it had a little bigger shoulder knobs for off camber, flatter curves.
    Currently have switched to a 4" Jumbo Jim on the front with the Hodag rear, but have put some thought toward Barbegazi F & R too. The Minions tempt me as well, but I haven't ridden any.

VanHelga is another good consideration, especially for the front tire.
    Nates have good traction, but they roll very slow.
    Bud is a great front tire and would be great on both ends. However I ride SS and they are a little heavier than I want to pull all day, Still think Surly should make some 4" Buds!!
    The Minions tempts me as well, but I have no time on them.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Have tried many different tires, but always end up with the Jumbo Jims being my favorite. The new 4.4's hit a real nice sweet spot for size and speed.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantTurd View Post
    The new 4.4's hit a real nice sweet spot for size and speed.
    I've been thinking that very thing as well, possibly the perfect mix of weight, speed, and tire OD. Similar to the B Fat perks, but without having to change wheelsets.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    There are so many tires. People may have differing opinions on the same tire.

The JJ's are good all around tire. I just started using the Vee Rubber Avalanche 4.8 and it handled well on dry & loose conditions. Haven't run it in snow yet.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    How is the weight and rolling resistance of the Avalanche? Out of curiosity... I'm enjoying the JJ 4.8's and put em to the test while I spent two weeks in Arizona right after the first of the year. They have no damage to speak of from the techy trail rides and not one flat from any cause.
    Pfft, peeps don't like the LiteSkins cause they are so "fragile".
    Doctor recommended...

since 4/10/2009
    I like Nates, but I only pull them out when things start getting wet in the fall, run them in the snow, keep them for springtime, and then once things start drying out, I go for something faster-rolling. Current choice is 45NRTH Husker Du. Mine might have one more summer left in them before they're too worn. Maybe less, depending. The Husker Dus have served me well in Pisgah and Dupont when drier. My old version ones (there's an updated tread pattern on them out now) do slip on wet roots, though.

I am probably going to run Nates in Sedona this spring. Since I use them primarily for snow and other soft conditions, they have very little wear on them. They could use some. I'll probably pack along the Husker Dus as well, though, because I want to have minimal downtime in case I tear a sidewall. No idea if I'll be able to buy an emergency replacement fatbike tire in Sedona if necessary.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I'd love to come up with a pair of the original hudu's cause they look like they would last longer than the new open tread pattern. Too bad they didn't just introduce another tire rather than eliminate the original.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm really liking Bud/Lou. You're not going to win any races, but the giant knobs and very conforming carcass stick like glue over rocks and roots. Also great for snow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I have been through quite a few sets, started with the Nates..Awesome in snow but heavy as hell. Went to Husker Du's in the summer months for a season. Currently running Van Helgas for the winter and ill switch back to a set of Jumbo Jims 4.0 in the summer.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    I'd love to come up with a pair of the original hudu's cause they look like they would last longer than the new open tread pattern. Too bad they didn't just introduce another tire rather than eliminate the original.
    only thing I don't like about the OG Hudus is that they start losing cornering traction once you start getting a thin layer of dust over hard. fuggedaboutit when you're talking about anything bigger like gravel. The new ones are supposedly better for cornering, and after seeing/touching some of them at the Iceman expo back in Nov, I'm inclined to believe that's true. Now, as to wear life? Not sure about that one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My vote is Barbegazi. Excellent tire. High volume, fast rolling, good grip. Bought mine new on sale for something like $85/tire from Sunrise Cyclery. Literally half the cost of some of the tires mentioned.

I have a pair of Maxxis Mammoths 4.0 I am not using. Willing to cut a deal for the price of a decent bottle of wine and shipping. They are in good shape. Are a durable tire. A bit of self steer. PM me if interested.

mtbr member
    I have two wheelsets in the summer. 27.5 x 80mm x 4"Hodags and 26 x 100mm x 5" FBF Minions.

Despite the additional weight, I usually prefer the bigger tires. My general rule is if a trail is best suited for a conventional full suspension mountain bike, use the big wheelset. If a hardtail or gravel bike would be fine, then I put on the smaller setup.

But next summer I'll probably get a suspension fork, which I expect will have me using the smaller tires almost all the time.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    I have been running Dillinger 4's on my Bucksaw. Rode McKenzie River Trail and the trails around Bend. Also the trails around Ogden Utah and the trails in Moab. Love them great traction fast rolling tires. I run them tubeless.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005

Best Tire for Trails on Fat Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    How is the weight and rolling resistance of the Avalanche? Out of curiosity... I'm enjoying the JJ 4.8's and put em to the test while I spent two weeks in Arizona right after the first of the year. They have no damage to speak of from the techy trail rides and not one flat from any cause.
    Pfft, peeps don't like the LiteSkins cause they are so "fragile".
    The weight is ~1500g. Both mine weighed in within 30g of each other.

I got the current Silica compound. It's tough for me to honestly quantify the RR since I've been spending alot of time on the 27.5+ recently. I have been quite happy with the grip. Got new rubbers for the 27.5+ that I need to mount up.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Jumbo Jims based on weight and cornering grip.

I ride an XL Turner King Khan with a 150mm Wren up front, 125mm DW Link out back. I like tubeless Jumbo Jim 4.0 because it makes the bike feel almost normal in the air (but you still have to set it down gently with only 14psi in the rear). I ride trails in San Diego. It is a rowdy fat bike...it shreds. With the Jims it weighs about 33lbs.

For reference:
    Magic Mary 29x2.35 is 885g
    Minion DHF 29x2.5 is 1250g
    Jumbo Jim 26x4.0 1090g
    Specialized Ground Control 26x4.6 1450g

I tried the Ground Controls because that was about the most tire I could shove in there. I wanted to go BIG. My seat tube contacts rear tire at full compression with the 26x4.6 tire. When I put the Jumbo Jims on, I took nearly two pounds of weight out of the tires. It was remarkable how much more nimble it made the bike.

I don't worry about rolling resistance, I just work harder! I want grip so I can rail turns and stay upright. Never compromise on anything that comes between you and the ground: tires, shoes, beds, women...

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    How does the FBF and FBR perform in the snow?
    2011 Specialized Demo8
    2013 Specialized Tarmac
    2016 Kona Process DL
    2017 Roky Mountain Blizzard

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave95 View Post
    Not very good. They are marketed a trail tire and that's where they shine. If you rip your fatbike on dirt trails, they are great but if you want some flotation and snow traction, not so much.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Thanks.
    2011 Specialized Demo8
    2013 Specialized Tarmac
    2016 Kona Process DL

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    On my Fat I have Some Kenda Juggernault Sport. I was tolt today that the Colossus was a very good snow tire that perform well. When I compare both tread, they look alike. Not shure that I will see much difference.

Anybody tryed both?
    2011 Specialized Demo8
    2013 Specialized Tarmac
    2016 Kona Process DL

mtbr member
    Currently on 45NRTH Flowbeist/Dunderbeist, the winter seems to be over (no snow), and beists seems to be like overkill in summer (i.e. knob size and weight). Not to mention that I feel that Dunderbeist have alot of rolling resistance, especially on sand sections.
    Will go back to Jumbo Jims 4.4 for summer, previously I was on 4.8 JJ and it was perfectly fine, now with front suspension 4.4 should be exactly what is needed.

Sent from my SM-G900F

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I just bought a pair of 45NRTH Flowbeist/Dunderbeist. I will try them tomorrow on groom snow trail.
    2011 Specialized Demo8
    2013 Specialized Tarmac
    2016 Kona Process DL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish29er View Post
    +1 on the jumbo jims. 4.0 tires in general are the way to go for dirt. Ideally on 65mm rims

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll second and third this. Crazy fast and fun. Flat out perfect on 65's.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Not giving up my JJ 4.8's on 82's... Enjoying the volume and ride qualities and they ride fast to boot!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    ..with tires you'll get a varied response, a lot can be trial and error for riding type and terrain, PSI preference, etc.

i've ridden my friend's Specialized several times in the snow w/ very good results FBF and FBR - both soft and hard-pack. I just kept dropping the PSI and ended up w/ 3-4 PSI w/ awesome traction.

My fatty runs a Snowshoe up front and Tsunami in the rear w/ good results and similar low PSI.. Thinking of going w/ the FBR in the rear and putting the 4.9 Tsunami up front

Good luck, happy riding!...
    ..sleep is good...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Great performance on snow, at low pressures they have the side wall strength to support a load, even jumping at 3-4psi I don't lose air.

Traction is fat superior to JJs, on par with Floaters and the like.

For mixed use, it's tough to beat a Minion.

mtbr member
    I am in agreement with this, as I keep coming back to them after experimenting with other tires. The unknown for me is whether FBF/FBF or FBF/FBR is better.

The other tire I like is Vittoria Bombolini. The tread looks like velcro and sticks like it too. Only downside is weight.

Jumbo Jim is good for what it is - lightweight and fast rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    For mixed use, it's tough to beat a Minion.
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I just bought a pair of 45NRTH Flowbeist/Dunderbeist. I will try them tomorrow on groom snow trail.
    Great choice, be sure to post a ride report.
    This is my second season on them and they're my favorite snow tire (unless it's icy, then D5's), they hold the snow like a raccoon's paw stuck in a butter churn!
    '07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat-in-Fundy View Post
    Great choice, be sure to post a ride report.
    This is my second season on them and they're my favorite snow tire (unless it's icy, then D5's), they hold the snow like a raccoon's paw stuck in a butter churn!
    How many PSI are you rinning whit them?
    2011 Specialized Demo8
    2013 Specialized Tarmac
    2016 Kona Process DL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast