Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave95 View Post
    How many PSI are you rinning whit them?
    Depends on how soft the trail is, usually between 5-7psi works for me as a starting point on groomed trails.
    Last edited by Fat-in-Fundy; 02-06-2017 at 10:37 AM.
    '07 Spec Enduro
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Tire pressure should change with the conditions, Mikesee posted a "pressure guide" that is spot on.

Example:
    3-4psi for very soft conditions, 3-4 "wrinkles".

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    This is a follow up on the 45NRTH Flowbeist/Dunderbeist. First ride on them today and what an improvement over the Juggernault. I could get a lot faster on the downhill and fell safer. I do recommend them for aggressive groom trail.
    Last edited by Shockwave95; 02-04-2017 at 08:49 PM.
    2011 Specialized Demo8
    2013 Specialized Tarmac
    2016 Kona Process DL
    2017 Roky Mountain Blizzard

Rocks belong
    Lets rename this thread:

Name a fat bike tire combo that you like
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    I started using JJ snake skins 4.8 in the fall, coming from Bud/Lou. I rid a mix of 70/30 trails and sand whereas even the trails have some deeper sandy spots. Generally I prefer the JJ by a big margin, I some times spin out in the sand but I feel it's not that much more than I did with Lou in the rear. On the other hand, improved speed and some cornering ability. If you don't need the float go with narrower version...

Lost sheep
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantTurd View Post
    Have tried many different tires, but always end up with the Jumbo Jims being my favorite. The new 4.4's hit a real nice sweet spot for size and speed.
    Bought a 4.4 from Athleteshop last week, was a little more expensive than their amazing prices for 4.0 and especially 4.8 JJs, but I've been curious about the newer mid-fat tyre for a while and not many places have them in the UK.

I was a bit surprised that the 4.4 knobbly tread depth was not somewhere between the 4.0s I've had for a while and the 4.8s that are supposed to have noticeably deeper tread, but looking forward to giving it some ride time later this year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Lets rename this thread:

In fairness, tires are so expensive that I'll bet only a small percentage of the people on this forum have any comprehensive view of what's best in trail tires. People might know two or three tires and two or three snow tires on average.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Lets rename this thread:

Jumbo Jim 4.0 liteskins

mtbr member
    @ the OP. I am in NC as well. You may want to try fast trak's. I have found that I needed less traction not more here in NC. I started with mammoth R and minion F it was to much traction. I experienced a lot of traction steer and switched after about 2 weeks of riding to the fast traks (great rolling resistance and low weight). I love Maxxis and run them on my Camber. I ride RRT aka Steve's, Sherman Branch, WWC, LNSP, Kerr Scott, Anglers Ridge VA & Carvins Cove VA. We are lucky as most of the trails are hard pack clay (high traction surface) with rocks and roots with the occasional sandy areas or loose dirt. Disclaimer I have not ridden Pisgah or Brevard they are on my list for this summer. I am lucky as 2 of the trails RRT & Sherman are 8 minutes from my house and 5 of those trails are within a 40 minute ride of my home. With all of that said tire choice always seems to be Rider's preference (how you like your bike to feel). I ride a Carbon Bucksaw and my tires are 4.0's. I hope this helps good luck and don't over think it. Side note: Your current tires may be the ticket. You may need to play around with tire pressure. I found that a 1/2 pound makes a difference in fat tires. I use a the to get my tire pressure exact every time for a consistent ride and feel. Meiser Presta-Valve Dial Gauge with Pressure Relief: 15psi

Camber Expert Carbon EVO Salsa Carbon Bucksaw

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by NitrousOxide View Post
    I was a bit surprised that the 4.4 knobbly tread depth was not somewhere between the 4.0s I've had for a while and the 4.8s that are supposed to have noticeably deeper tread
    So, where was it exactly? Is it more like 4s or 4.8s?
    And if you could measure max knob\carcass width at 10psi, I'd much appreciate it

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Minions, hard to go wrong, just need to decide on width. 4.8 for snow, 3.8" for mixed conditions, 3" for dirt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    ..ran CST Roly Poly 4.8 rear and Tsunami 4.9 front in snow, ice, mixed conditions yesterday. Fairly happy overall and will probably keep that set-up for next winter... 3-4 PSI rear and 5 PSI front. The snow is rapidly going away w/ temps in the 40-50 range here in MT..

I'll put on my old Snowshoes 4.5 once it's dirt season for tractoring around on the dirt hills and climbs.. usually drag out the fat bike 1x every couple weeks spring - fall months.

I guess any number of tires will work if you can find the right PSI for your given conditions.. Unless it's warm weather riding then it's Kenda Nevegal all the way! :-) (stirring the pot).

Happy riding,
    Micah
    ..sleep is good...

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    How is the weight and rolling resistance of the Avalanche? Out of curiosity... I'm enjoying the JJ 4.8's and put em to the test while I spent two weeks in Arizona right after the first of the year. They have no damage to speak of from the techy trail rides and not one flat from any cause.
    Pfft, peeps don't like the LiteSkins cause they are so "fragile".

So I had a chance today to compare the JJ & Avalanche. Both 4.8's.

JJ rolled noticible faster than the Avalanche on hardpack gravel

Avalanche handled better on leaves & pine needles over the trail, the knobs bit thru better, felt more confident

In loose terrain the JJ felt faster, but loose; the Avalanche felt more hooked up but slower.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for sharing your findings, EBG. I have a few pair of fatty shoes hanging round. JJ, Bud/Lou, D5, and of course 2XL's.

I tend to like the JJ's for dirt and packed snow. They tend to work good on snow/sand when they have low pressure. Gotta have some wrinkles in the sides for snow/sand.

For real snow conditions, Bud/Lou are hard to beat for traction. I run em with a 2-3 wrinkles for most snow rides. I can actually get offa the seat on climbs and maintain traction under load.

JJ 4.8 LiteSkin Light and low rolling resistance. I've not had any issue with traction since the JJ's are dependent on pressure more so than others. This is why I so appreciate the Lezyne XL. I frequently adjust the JJ's for what I'm riding. These are the most adjustable tires I've experienced. The Arizona trip was a great opportunity for the shakedown of LiteSkins. They worked extremely well for me. Rocks, decomposed granite, they served well. The best part was getting trialsy in the tech sections was awesome. Springy tires are lively and make trialsin easier.

D5's, well, I like the JJ's better. As for snow, they are mediocre, if they were studded and ice was on the menu, they'd shine.
    Dirt riding with the D5's is actually good. JJ's are faster rolling, tho.

Bud/Lou, Moderate weight, supple. Lou is like a snowmobile track, loads of deep paddles to propel my bike. These tires are better reserved for snow. I love their ability to hook up and Bud steers well in snow without self steer. Very nice tires for various snow conditions. I ride em at 2-4 psi and never exceed 5 psi. My go to winter tires.

2XL, Excellent traction for snow. Float is hard to beat when it comes to a cross section like 5.05's possess. Riding em nice and squishy on a powder day is awesome. Yeah, they can be slow on the packed n groomed but the powder ride is amazing. I haven't done the Espen thing by zero psi yet, but that's gonna happen one day. Friggen heavy tires and the casings are stiff until they break in. If only Vee could figure out how to make a truly supple tire... These are my go to powder day tires. 1-3 psi for snow and never over 5 psi. These will kill fuel economy, without a doubt.
    Similar to Lou with the paddle treads. Perhaps, Vee might offer a "LiteSkin" version for us beanpoles that are zeroing out the current model.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

passed out in your garden
    Lets rename this thread:

Maxxis Minion FBF & FBR 4.8s,
    they absolutely sh!t all over the Ground Control 4.6s l had, and the ChaoYang 4.9s (FatBNimble clone) are not even in the same league at all.

Edit: the Maxxis 4.8s are the same size as the GC 4.6s, on 90mm rims, but lve heard that Maxxis tyres are 'small'.
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    I really love my Minion 4.0 tires. Not as high volume as Van Helga tires, but they roll very fast and have great traction.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    Not very tire related but: what an image! Superb

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Is a Barbegazi as big as a Snowshoe XL? I need a bit of a comparison to the Snowshoe XL, because the latter *just* doesn't fit and I try to avoid another expensive error

turtles make me hot
    Barbegazi is not that big. Great smaller tire.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Barbi's 26x4.7 are a sweet tire. I use mine for all the wet rides. Favorite for me is my 27.5x3.8 Hodags on 80mm Jackalopes.. Nice fast roll and grip well. Started using them in December and only switch back to the 26 when the weather is bad.
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12