Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best rear tire?

mtbr member

Best rear tire?

In the market for a new rear tire to replace the aging Endomorph, and since I am new to the fat bike game I am open to suggestions. I am thinking a Nate to pair with Larry in the front, but what are the thoughts on the Husker Du for the rear? Anyone running a Knard 26?

This is on a Pugs by the way. Thanks in advance!

Smash Mode: ON
    Best for what?
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member

Best rear tire?

If you aren't going to be running a lot of snow time, I would pass on the Nate. Awesome tire, but noisy and slow. I just put a Husker du on the back for the dirt season and really like it so far. If you can swallow the price for the lightweight ones, do it.

surly and rigid
    Apr 2004
    Nate for rocks and mud.

mtbr member
    the kind that never flats.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    the kind that never flats.
    In other words, any tire that you can run tubeless?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogieMang View Post
    In other words, any tire that you can run tubeless?
    i wouldn't step out that far..

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    On-One Floaters are 1/2 the price of the 120 tpi Surly tires. I don't think that they can be beat for price/performance right now.

mighty sailin' man
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Mustangs View Post
    Best for what?
    ^ this

more info needed. What are you riding on?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    grass

mtbr member
    I guess I should have been more specific... What would be the best trail tire? I am using the Pugs as my normal, everyday MTB.

mtbr member
    I actually love the Nate/Nate combo for trail. It simply hooks up, and will be your best, no-compromise gripper for more aggressive trail use.
    (That said, I'd love to try out a Husker out back for a improved rolling performance.)
    No matter what, I suggest replacing the Larry in front with a Nate. It will change your whole outlook on fat trail riding.
    -Chris

mtbr member
    I run Nate/Nate. I have a Knard that I have used on the back. If the trails are bone dry it works fine but when they are even damp the Knard has a lot less traction over roots and rocks (which we have lots of). For me it's worth it to just keep the Nate on full time.

ouch....
    On the trail, I'm very happy with the Hudu. Set it up tubeless & forget about it.

Best compromise between grip and rolling resistance I've found. The price lately stinks though. love to see em back down to $80 like the first pair I bought.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Knard vs Nate, the Knard is significantly faster.
    The Knard is able to run at lower pressures to make up the loss of grip and still take less effort to move, when pumped up firm (15-18lb) the Knard rolls very easily on hard pack and road. The Nate never rolls very easily, it grips too well even firm.
    If you climb alot and do less smooth rolling trails, then Nate is still the best. So far though this spring my Knard is on the back and not coming off yet. Nate can wait till the winter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roobydoo View Post
    Knard vs Nate, the Knard is significantly faster.
    The Knard is able to run at lower pressures to make up the loss of grip and still take less effort to move, when pumped up firm (15-18lb) the Knard rolls very easily on hard pack and road. The Nate never rolls very easily, it grips too well even firm.
    If you climb alot and do less smooth rolling trails, then Nate is still the best. So far though this spring my Knard is on the back and not coming off yet. Nate can wait till the winter.
    I can say with the few trail outings I've had, and a bunch of pavement commuting, so much this... The knard is a nice smooth fast tire on the back that still climbs respectively well. Better than Endo I think.

However, it seems to have one weird drawback. It has a squirm and sort of self steer when squished significantly. At lower pressures or in the saddle over a bump and it squirms to a side if you're leaned over at all. Which on our trails is pretty much always. The lower the pressure, the worse it gets. Anything under about 9psi for me. I am about 240lbs right now though... Anyone else notice this? I remember reading somewhere someone had this issue and tightened their skewer and it went away, no such luck for me.

I have my reservations about using it as a front tire, for some reason. Still larry for right now.
    http://twofattires.com - Fat Bike community, forums and resource.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mochunk View Post
    However, it seems to have one weird drawback. It has a squirm and sort of self steer when squished significantly. At lower pressures or in the saddle over a bump and it squirms to a side if you're leaned over at all. Which on our trails is pretty much always. The lower the pressure, the worse it gets. Anything under about 9psi for me. I am about 240lbs right now though... Anyone else notice this? I remember reading somewhere someone had this issue and tightened their skewer and it went away, no such luck for me.

I have my reservations about using it as a front tire, for some reason. Still larry for right now.
    You don't get that with the larry? All of them have self-steer at way low pressures to some extent. Nature of the beast. Larry isn't too bad, but I do notice it, especially on hard surfaces, down around 5 psi (I'm about 170). Big Larry even more so.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    You don't get that with the larry? All of them have self-steer at way low pressures to some extent. Nature of the beast. Larry isn't too bad, but I do notice it, especially on hard surfaces, down around 5 psi (I'm about 170). Big Larry even more so.
    I've never had anything but Endo in the rear. I never noticed it with that. I have a habit of crawling over parking stops in my lot when I'm bored or waiting for my GF to come out for a ride, and I immediately noticed it on an angle with the Knard. Never felt that with the Endo. It's pretty pronounced, like it squishes and you counter steer sharply for a split second. It just feels weird is all.

I've only ever run Larry and BFL up front.
    http://twofattires.com - Fat Bike community, forums and resource.

mtbr member

Best rear tire?

I just switched from a bud front/Nate back to a Larry front/hudu back. Honestly, so far I am as equally unimpressed with the Larry up front on the dirt as I was on the snow. I think I may have been spoiled with the bud up front, but the Larry just isn't doing it for me. We finally have had some rain, so I am going to go out and ride some wet roots and rocks this morning, but I have a feeling the decision has been made already. I think I'll be putting the Husker du on front, and putting the Nate back on the rear. Anybody want to buy a slightly used Larry?

mighty sailin' man
    I like to keep my money so I would go with a used Larry
    plus it's a good all around tire and hell of a step up from the endo
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member

Best rear tire?

Sold.

mtbr member
    Put a HuskerDu mounted backward on the rear of my Mukluk last winter and it's pretty great. No more side slide on cross-slope sections like the stock Endo, and real good climbing traction in snow. Next year might put one on front too-price per tire of these makes one per season budget-manageable if barely!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I use my Pugsley as my everyday mtb also and I've been through alot of tire combinations. I am now running Nate front and Knard rear. I like the HuskerDu as a rear but it wore out way to fast, less than 800 miles. The Nate front give great traction and so far so good with the Knard. Nate is 8psi and Knard is 9psi.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by boogiemang View Post
    in other words, any tire that you can run tubeless? :d
    yep.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    yep.
    negative

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast