mtbr member

Best racks for a Necro Pugs?

Tax season is upon us and I am splurging on racks for the pugs. What are the best fitting, non modification needing, strong racks that will last?
    I have heard good things about OldManMountain and of course, the Surly Nice Racks.

Agree? Disagree? Other ideas?

I have the 2012 Pugs with the non offset Moonie fork but standard rear offset triangle and 135mm hub. Want option to run BFL in winter and Endo or Black Floyds in summer(in case clearance might be an issue)

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Those are both great options with a lot of clearance and field testing. If you want to spend the money on one of them then I think it would be worth it because the rack should out last your bike and be useful for a LONG time to come, based on what people say of course.

Personally I've used my Necro with a older Topeak mountain disc brake rack [good clearance, but I think it sits too high up, as do most racks I've seen on fat bikes], and I recently got a Axiom Journey Rack [2429]. The Axiom rack is well made, adjustable and solid, but it has a design flaw where there is tubing on top of tubing at about tire height so on the puglely if I'm using it at a lower hight there can be tire rub unless its mounted a certain way [the drive side adjustable post extended one click further than the non-drive side so it sits slightly slanted but clears the tire. This wouldn't be a problem on the front]. I got the Topeak rack for $40 or so and the Axiom one for $32, so there are 'decent' cheap options out there, but it is give and take.

That said I have been trying to stay 'rack-less' on the pugs as I don't much care for how it looks or handles with rack(s) on, and I have been only needing one pannier worth of stuff so it has been an unbalanced load. It ended up I bought a bit of fabric from Quest Outfitters and have started sewing myself bike packing gear on a old Singer Model 15 [1910 model, only does a straight stitch forward -so whatever machine you have access to should be serviceable], my frame pack needs some slight modification but is otherwise great, I need to finish the seat bag, and I need to wait for my new handlebars to come in before I build up the handle bar bag. Just saying it is a great option that is very viable and IMO better for most uses as it is secure, makes good use of otherwise dead space, and saves a lot of money, all the while you get to make it yourself!

As an aside on the Black Floyds: they are great for any hard, dry, or even loose conditions, but if you get mud or goop, or even wet grass they have little traction and will slide, I'll probably use mine a good bit in the summer. But if conditions were more offroad or were wet then I'd go with my Knards or the Larry/ Nate I have as slight rolling resistance can be better than lack of control and traction.

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    Here is a picture of a Necro with Surly Nice racks, front and rear, mounted front and rear. I know the front rack isn't pretty but I did it to show that it can be mounted without modifications (contrary to what Surly had/has on their website). That is a 20L drybag in there, BTW.
    I have never tried riding with the front rack mounted or loaded that way. I have ridden with the rear rack loaded with panniers or with a 20L drybag lashed to it on trails - I preferred the latter set up.

Best racks for a Necro Pugs?-racks-001.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pics and replies, gents!
    That really helps.
    Eastman, can the front rack be put on the back at all? I like that rack design better with the sides and extended top/2nd potential cargo area but am thinking a rear rack position only might be the setup for me usage wise.
    I'll mainly be hauling food/groceries or beer. Probably best to have the weight in the back of the bike instead of over the front & steering.

mtbr member

I've used OMM racks on both my Pugs. They are strong, light and mount easily. If you chat with the guys at OMM they will send you bike specific hardware for free.

I've also got a Surly rack which I don't use because it's so heavy and no stronger than my OMM racks. I keep it thinking I'm going to use it for some errand bike project, but the reality is I should just sell it.

We tried a low cost generic rack on one of my Pugs for a 4 week trip to Baja. It got replaced with OMM racks after that trip. I got tired of having to carry all the heavy stuff so the rack wouldn't snap!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    NBT: I held the front rack up to the rear of the bike and I'm not confident it will work. Two problems presented themselves: first, interference with the caliper and second, how to attach it to the seat stay rack eyelets. One way to overcome the latter would be to purchase the rear rack upper kit separately:
    Name:  RK0130.png
Views: 544
Size:  32.2 KB

I'll have a better look over the weekend when I have more time.

How much groceries and beer do you need to carry anyway? The way I see it, my Ortlieb rear panniers hold 40 litres - two bags of chips might take up 10 litres - that leaves 30 litres of beer! Problem solved!

On an unrelated note, I received my 120 TPI HuDu's today and took them for a ride. Conditions were 10 cm of fresh snow on top of hardpack and ice (read: greasy) - I was very happy with their performance. Less rolling resistance, better grip, less washout and no self-steer. I look forward to your BFL report.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads-up, Eastman! I appreciate that you eyeballed it for me.
    Definately solidified my going with a rear rack system, still deciding on front. How much will I use it and how steering is compromised, etc.
    We are a family of 4, about 2 bags of groceries will do us for a week. Another place for a 12 pack of beer and we should be golden. So I would think a rear rack with panniers on the sides and then the beer case in the middle top.
    I nearly bought a BD instead but decided I liked the cush and float better of a fattie(to hell with the increased rolling resistance!), so I always intended for my Necro to be a workhorse, it was just I ran out of cash when I bought it to add racks and bags.

BFLs arrive tomorrow(according to FedEx.com), I am putting them on as soon as they arrive. No snow here though(plenty of mud!) and a ride planned on Sunday afternoon rain or snow or shine. Would ride sooner but I am in full marathon training for running and that takes all my got damn time right now!
    Argh. Is it May 5th yet? I just want to be DONE.

Glad you like the HuDus, I have heard great things but have yet to see them in the wild. Post an RR, would you? I plan on a BFL RR for Monday.