Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Best fatbike for the beach?

I am in the DC area so any recommendation for LBS or make and models would be appreciated. I am flexible on price and I would like a nice reliable fatbike that will see lots of beach use and hold up well. It may see some snow but not to much. I have searched the forums but still need a push in the right direction.
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    If I was going out today to buy a beach fatbike it would be a moonlander. If I was not going out today I would wait a few months for the seemingly wide range of bikes coming with full 100mm rim 5 inch tire no compromise compatibility like the Borealis, Fatback, Specialized?, Trek?, carbon salsa?.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Current model Mukluks with Alternator dropouts take the Big Fat Larry tires with no problems. For beach riding, this is the only tire I've ever needed. Aluminium frame helps with corrosion, but the drivetrain still takes a beating in the sand and salt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    moonlander looks good but it is steel and i worry about rust. the beargrease/mukluk are aluminum. will those hold up better or will it be the components that get trashed by rust?

almost everything n the DC area seems to be sold out anyway

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The Beargrease will not take a BFL for a rear tire- too little clearance. Front will work OK. How much do you weigh? Both my wife and daughter are in the 120-130 range, and their Pugsleys with "normal" fit tires work fine in soft sand. At 165, they worked OK for me, but the BFL was a noticeable improvement.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Im 190 and I dont know what a BFL is! I assume its a wider tire which is what makes me think the Moonlander would be a better bet for me.

just looked it up - Big Fat Larry. even the aluminum Mukluk has a cromoly fork so I think the moonlander is the right one for me unless there is something new coming out soon.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Rumor control seems to always be talking about how tomorrow "Something Better" will arrive.

If you're prepared to make the purchase, get the Moony, and don't look back.

It will serve what you have described, very well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: Best fatbike for the beach?

i am loving my on one fatty fitted with Bfls you could always build up a second wheelset fir the price,,,,,, loving it

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best fatbike for the beach?-uploadfromtaptalk1371735969135.jpg  

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stesteste View Post
    i am loving my on one fatty fitted with Bfls you could always build up a second wheelset fir the price,,,,,, loving it
    LOL
    Totally forgot to make a plug for my ride ... Yea, the Fatty will also suit your purpose, and AFAIK, they're still in stock.

mtbr member
    Moonie with BFL's get my vote.. I would't worry too much about rust.

DJ

https://vimeo.com/54282760

Merimbula beach ride. from DavidJohn on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have a Pugs with two sets wheels. Marge Lites for trail riding and Clown Shoe with BFL front / Rolling Darryl with BFL rear for the beach. Best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJohn View Post
    Moonie with BFL's get my vote.. I would't worry too much about rust.

DJ

https://vimeo.com/54282760

Merimbula beach ride. from DavidJohn on Vimeo.

For the beach...don't think that there is an argument against the wider is better concept.

There are some who are hoping for some BFE's though. (Big Fat Endo's)

DJ...interesting camera angles. Arms get tired? The music was a good toe-tapper...brought to mind John B Sebastian from the '70s...and a good choice for a sunny day beach ride.
    Just like Fat Bikes...the posters on here can go anywhere...and do.

Icebiker
    OP, I've ridden my stock '13 Muk with RD's and 3.8 Nates on everything from waters-edge wet hardpack to upper-beach deep dry sugar sand and everything in between. Never felt I needed a wider tire. FWIW I'm 210 lbs or so without gear.

So, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the recommendations above.

For me, I chose the Muk over the Pug partly because of the frame material (the other main decision criterion was geometry...prefer the Muk's more relaxed geo).

PS...love D.C. Spent my college years there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I dont think frame material is a big issue for beach riding. I have ridden streets many winters with my CrossCheck, which involves many miles of salty slush and wet roads. And I don't usually wash the bike after a ride due to weather and lack of exterior hose. The frame only shows surface corrosion around the frame bosses. But I have to replace the chain about twice a winter as well as the rim brake pads. The rims needed replaced after 2 1/2 winters.
    So brakes and drive train are much more sensitive to salt than a good frame. Just spray exposed metal on the frame with Boeshield T9 regularly and try to rinse the bike after each salt water ride and it will last a very long time.
    Craig

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    @david john nice video enjoyed it lovely ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Wholesale fenders to roll in the water without water back. I had to plug the hole at the bottom of the frame to prevent water back to the crank case.

On-One Fatty aluminium frame, SKS Grand M.O.M. and Grand D.A.D. Fenders.
    French. In France .Near Paris. Yes, really.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    For lots of beach use I'd go with the Wal Mart Mongoose. On a beach it doesn't matter if the chainstays are too long, the tires suck on trails, and there isn't a derailleur hanger.

The salt and sand are gonna be tough any fat bike, why not start with something that costs $200 instead of $1,500?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Frame protector solves the steel frame rust issue. I waxoyled my 9:zero:7 after sitting the frame in the sauna for 20mins then squirting into the drain holes.

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    The Beargrease will not take a BFL for a rear tire- too little clearance. Front will work OK. How much do you weigh? Both my wife and daughter are in the 120-130 range, and their Pugsleys with "normal" fit tires work fine in soft sand. At 165, they worked OK for me, but the BFL was a noticeable improvement.
    Actually, they will. I rode a BG with BFL'S and my friend had a BG with bud and Lou's, both on 80mm rolling Darryl's. Enough clearances for snow riding, maybe 1/8 to 3/8" of clearance..

Plum
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best fatbike for the beach?-image.jpg  

This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

Smash Mode: ON
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    For lots of beach use I'd go with the Wal Mart Mongoose. On a beach it doesn't matter if the chainstays are too long, the tires suck on trails, and there isn't a derailleur hanger.

The salt and sand are gonna be tough any fat bike, why not start with something that costs $200 instead of $1,500?
    I took a 13 mile beach ride on Sunday with an average speed on the way back that was half what it was on the way out due to wind. Without gears I would of been pissed off and walking it back. Or how about the primary dune on the trail to the beach I had to climb in both directions. Gears are worth every penny, even on a beach ride.
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post

Skip this!

Remember, he said "I would like a nice reliable fatbike that will see lots of beach use and hold up well."

He didn't say he wanted to fab some piece of junk together from Walmart.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    donn12 - I ordered my 2013 Moonlander in December from Spokes,Etc. in Vienna, Va. Received it in early February (I was lucky). I think 2013's are all gone now in the US. You'd have to place your order for a 2014 and wait. Talk to Jeff at Spokes in Vienna. You will love the 'lander.

Laramie, Wyoming
    donn12, what size are you? I'm thinking about either getting rid of my moonlander or maybe just the moonlander frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If you are willing to travel a bit, I know a shop in Newark, DE that has 2012 Moonlander. It's a bit of a drive from DC, but we don't have sales tax in DE so it might be worth the trip. It's a large (20") frame.

Shoot me a PM if you want the info for the shop.

mtbr member
    I do a litle bit on the beach...
    Deft opt for the big Moonlander for the beach if you can afford it, Nothing else has as good a chainline with 100mm rims/ 5" BFL`s and over a half inch tyre to chain clearance in 1st gear... often get mud flats on the coast as well as pure sand...

Differance between my Pugsley`s and Moonlander is very noticeable on very soft sand, as it is on trails etc where a 4" pugs etc is a lot nicer...

As mentioned above only the cable bosses rust a bit, my Pugs are on the coast all the time, often Salt water hub deep and no probs..prep the bike right, copper grease on everything threaded and joining, repack all bearings when new (I use WURTH Graphite grease) and a nickle coated chain, the SRAM 991 lasts well and i recommend Squirt lube

Heres some Moonie action for you

plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast